Type keyword(s) to search

AWOL Characters: Vanished, Vamoosed Or Vacated?

• Start Topic

This is a thread to speculate about where the many, many, many characters we have not seen lately are.

Did The Hound use his almost-last bit of life energy to wring the neck of a feral chicken and get his strength back?

Did Ghost run off and marry Nymeria? If so, did they adopt Ser Pounce?

Honestly, anybody who disappears for a week is fair game.  Is Littlefinger in Dorne now, hitting on Myrcella?

And speaking of Myrcella, I think the only person who gets talked about as much as her without actually being on the show is Rhaegar Targaryan. Wouldn't it be fun if when we finally do see her it turns out she's grown up to be larger than Brienne, and she just single-handedly beats the crap out of all the Sand Snakes while Jaime and Bronn stand there dumbstruck? 

So what do you think The Blackfish is doing these days? Is he just chilling in a vaguely nautically-themed bar with Sallador Saan? Has Varys made friends yet with Khaleesi Whore? And where, pray tell, is Tongueless Minstrel Who Wrote That Amazing "Lion and Boar" Song back in Season One?

• Love 2

Is Gendry still at sea?

Where did Blackfish go? Where is Edmure? Is he happily married? Or am I remembering right by thinking he is in a dungeon?

I always think about Nymeria. She could have her own book. I'm sure she's seen a lot of things on her travels.

• Love 1
(edited)

Nymeria is the biggie for me, Chekhov's direwolf. Oh and missing Uncle Benjen. The two who have been unseen the longest.

I guess Edmure could be happily married in a dungeon, he did get the one hot Frey as bride. I do hope for the best for Lord Floppy Fish.

Edited by Lady S.
  • Love 2

I used to keep thinking they were just gonna find his frozen corpse in one of the WWs's art pieces, but by this point I think he must still be alive somewhere, maybe the WWs keep prisoners in cages like Karl the fookin' legend. There has to be a reason he was never definitely killed off, and a reason he even existed in the first place. I think his last scene with Jon also ended with a "we'll talk when I get back" like Ned. Maybe Benjen knows/suspects whether his nephew is Ned's or Lyanna's.

• Love 2
(edited)

The Big Three for me are Gendry, still rowing his boat somewhere, Blackfish, because surely his timely potty break and subsequent escape had to have been for a reason, and Benjen, who (like Blackfish) seems to have disappeared for a narrative purpose (unless he's going to be one of those lingering unsolved mysteries). 

What makes it funny is that all three of these actors came to "Game of Thrones" after guest-starring on "Merlin" - and boy, there's a lot of crossover between these two shows. 

Edited by Ravenya003
  • Love 1

Until we see otherwise, to me Gendry will always be paddling around in that stupid rowboat, still drinking the same supply of water that he started out with. And honestly? That's entertaining enough that I can sort of let it rest. "Wait, this is Valyria? I knew I should have made that left turn at Albuquerque."

What bugs me more is Shagga, son of Dolph, and the other Hill People. Weren't they supposed to be waging a huge war against the Eyrie? What happened there? Did Robin just drop a bunch of coconuts on them or something?

• Love 6
(edited)

I don't think Benjen's disappearence needs to mean anything, other than North of the Wall is a dangerous place, even for one as highly skilled and trained as Benjen.  As far as I can tell, Benjen became surplus to narrative requirements once he took Jon Snow to Castle Black.  At this point, what would Benjen tell Bran that Mr. Tree couldn't?  What would Benjen tell Jon that Jon doesn't already know?

The Drowned God only knows what Yara and Balon are doing.

The Brotherhood Without Banners are up to the Lord of Light knows what.

Edited by Constantinople
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't think Benjen's disappearence needs to mean anything, other than North of the Wall is a dangerous place, even for one as highly skilled and trained as Benjen.  As far as I can tell, Benjen became surplus to narrative requirements once he took Jon Snow to Castle Black.  At this point, what would Benjen tell Bran that Mr. Tree couldn't?  What would Benjen tell Jon that Jon doesn't already know?

This is my thinking too.

Sometimes people leave and never come back. Especially if they leave to go into a frigid wilderness populated by hostile native tribes, some of which are cannabalistic, and ice zombies.

If we never see Benjen again I don't think that's a dangling narrative.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

The Drowned God only knows what Yara and Balon are doing.

The Brotherhood Without Banners are up to the Lord of Light knows what.

In that case, Benjen was always surplus to narrative requirements, Jon could have decided to join the long Stark tradition at the NW without having an uncle there. I think I'd actually prefer that pilot scene to be Ned/Jon since they had so little onscreen time together before the big goodbye. And there's no reason one of the NW's missing rangers needed to be a Stark either. If he's dead, why the hell not show the body? We've seen the other missing rangers die onscreen in the pilot and we've seen a lot of other frozen corpses since. The closest equivalent to this persistent and mysterious lack of body is Syrio, expect we saw his last fight and people who are in denial about his death have less to hold on to imo, and his story purpose was definitely over with more than Benjen's. He might have R+L=J info or new info on the white walkers that no one else has, and we don't know that Jon will ever get to be in touch with Bran in his cave either or that Bran will learn literally everything about House Stark or the far North. Benjen is certainly no more useless that that feral beast Rickon, since Sansa could always pop out a new male heir and an 8yo is not much better lordly material than a baby.

• Love 2

In that case, Benjen was always surplus to narrative requirements, Jon could have decided to join the long Stark tradition at the NW without having an uncle there.

I think it makes it easier for Jon, Ned and the viewers to accept Jon's decision to join the Night's Watch if Jon has an uncle there.

And there's no reason one of the NW's missing rangers needed to be a Stark either. If he's dead, why the hell not show the body?

I think viewers care more if one of the missing rangers is Jon's uncle and Ned's brother than if it's just some random dude.

Plus, Life isn't always that neat, particularly North of the Wall. Benjen's body might be at the bottom of crevasse, since buried over by dozens if not hundreds of feet of snow.

He might have R+L=J info

He might, but there was nothing in Season 1 to indicate that Ned told Benjen anything, or that Benjen suspected anything. The fewer people know, the safer Jon is.

or new info on the white walkers that no one else has

Unless Benjen understands the White Walker's language, I'm not sure what information he would have that no one else has.

, and we don't know that Jon will ever get to be in touch with Bran in his cave either or that Bran will learn literally everything about House Stark or the far North.

No, we don't, but then there seems little point in Bran becoming a tree with "the sight" or whatever the kid from Love Actually called it.

Benjen is certainly no more useless that that feral beast Rickon, since Sansa could always pop out a new male heir and an 8yo is not much better lordly material than a baby.

I really don't see Lord of Winterfell as Benjen's end game.

• Love 1

I love that the Unsullied version of this thread is titled "Milk Carton Westeros."

Okay, so where is the sorcerer that Varys had stuffed in a box?  Now that Varys is somewhere in Volantis someone has to feed, water, and taunt him.    

• Love 1

I think it makes it easier for Jon, Ned and the viewers to accept Jon's decision to join the Night's Watch if Jon has an uncle there.

I think viewers care more if one of the missing rangers is Jon's uncle and Ned's brother than if it's just some random dude.

Plus, Life isn't always that neat, particularly North of the Wall. Benjen's body might be at the bottom of crevasse, since buried over by dozens if not hundreds of feet of snow.

He might, but there was nothing in Season 1 to indicate that Ned told Benjen anything, or that Benjen suspected anything. The fewer people know, the safer Jon is.

Unless Benjen understands the White Walker's language, I'm not sure what information he would have that no one else has.

No, we don't, but then there seems little point in Bran becoming a tree with "the sight" or whatever the kid from Love Actually called it.

I really don't see Lord of Winterfell as Benjen's end game.

I'm not thinking Ned told him so much as he figured it out from being the sibling closest to Lyanna (he's the youngest and she was the thirdborn so I think they were pretty close in age). And of course there must be a point to Bran's creepy tree cave time, but that doesn't mean there can't be other sources of new information. But if you're happier with Uncle Ben as a dead end that's your business. And is it not clear by now I just like taking shots at Rickon whenever I can? All that boy brings to the table is table banging by rock, which a son of Sansa could also accomplish.

• Love 2
(edited)

Varys probably went to Angie's List Kings Landing and found a gimp sitter.

My most frustrating AWOL is the Greyjoys. Is Balon dead? I guess he is not and Melissandre isn't as hot as she thinks she is. Where did all those stupid fragging Vikings go after the Boltons beat them? Why don't they ever attack Lannisport. So much build up then nothing. Edmure, Blackfish, And Gendry also bug me every time we get way too much Ramsay Bolton or really any Grey Worm or Missandei scenes that are not going to lead anywhere big picture-wise.

Edited by Funzlerks
  • Love 1

Yara has to show up again at some point before the show ends, right? If the lamest rescue mission ever is the last we saw of her, it's really gonna drive me crazy.

• Love 1

Okay, so where is the sorcerer that Varys had stuffed in a box?  Now that Varys is somewhere in Volantis someone has to feed, water, and taunt him.    

Oh, I think that dude is long dead. While I expect Varys extracted his long planned and highly unpleasant vengeance, I don't think he'd drag it out for months.

• Love 2

I don't see a reason for Benjen or Rickon, except as extra characters who die offscreen to show what a big, bad world it is out there.

(edited)

I actually would rather see Rickon back than Bran. Hodor is mildly entertaining. But Osha? Is fucking hilarious! As long as Osha is henching for him, I'll be just fine with the return of Rickon "Wait, You're Saying There Was An Even Younger Brother?" Stark.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 1

Assuming Rickon's alive, and really, he has no more reason than Benjen to be alive at this point, by the time we see him he won't remember his own name, nor will he bear the slightest resemblance to the Rickon we saw. He and Tommen are about the same age, and so he is 18 or so too, by now, which means Bran's in his twenties or something.

There's no one who would believe or recognize Rickon if he did come back. Theon's seen him but wouldn't know him now that he has a beard. Ditto Sansa.

Assuming Rickon's alive, and really, he has no more reason than Benjen to be alive at this point, by the time we see him he won't remember his own name, nor will he bear the slightest resemblance to the Rickon we saw. He and Tommen are about the same age, and so he is 18 or so too, by now, which means Bran's in his twenties or something.

There's no one who would believe or recognize Rickon if he did come back. Theon's seen him but wouldn't know him now that he has a beard. Ditto Sansa.

I think he'd be about 10-12 by now. He has his wolf though which would be useful id.

Tommen only morphed into an 18 year old because the Seven Gods of HBO told him it was the only way he could have sex with Margaery. Rickon, if they ever remember he exists, will still be portrayed as a boy. I mean, look how long they tried to convince us that Arya looked like one...

He would be 10-12 by now, if this show made any sense. But since Tommen is 18, he would be 19 or so by now. He was actually a bit older than Tommen when this whole mess started. He did have a wolf when he left, but we don't know if he still does. it depends largely on what kind of animals or people they've encountered. Sure, if he comes back with a giant black direwolf, that's pretty fair ID. I just don't expect him to turn up again.

Tommen is not 18! Don't listen to the wiki.

To me it makes the most sense to go with 4 seasons has been 4 years (not total sense but the most sense out of the alternatives). How old was Rickon at the start of the show? I have no idea

I think he'd be about 10-12 by now. He has his wolf though which would be useful id.

Not just a wolf, but a direwolf, and there are a very limited number of people who have direwolves.

So far as I know, there's only one boy Rickon's age who has a direwolf, and that's Rickon.

Not just a wolf, but a direwolf, and there are a very limited number of people who have direwolves.

So far as I know, there's only one boy Rickon's age who has a direwolf, and that's Rickon.

That's what I meant. His wolf is a direwolf which is good indication that he's a Stark.

I wonder if by the end Rickon, Robin and Gendry will end up in really good positions and the moral of the story will be: don't play the game just keep away until it's over.

• Love 1
(edited)

To me it makes the most sense to go with 4 seasons has been 4 years (not total sense but the most sense out of the alternatives). How old was Rickon at the start of the show? I have no idea

Robb said, "Rickon needs you. He's six." Rickon, Tommen, and Robin were roughly the same ages at the start. All were around six-8 years old. Rickon was a bit older looking and acting than Tommen. So he's probably 20 now. I told you it doesn't make sense.

Edited by Hecate7

Right, Dev F. settled this in the Tommen thread. The actor thinks Tommen is only 12, and therefore not really aged up much at all with the re-casting, so I say we should take his word for it. But if anyone wants to think fans editing wikis have better insider info, then I guess that's your prerogative. 

I say Osha and Shaggydog should just return to reveal Rickon died uselessly offscreen.

• Love 2
(edited)

Absolutely, I agree with this! The showrunners don't seem to put a lot of thought into the timeline and have kept the childrens' ages ambiguous, likely so they don't get in trouble with the censors. In terms of timeline, the show has many cliffhangers and fast-paced plotlines that seem to take place over a short period of time. But we also need to consider that the characters are travelling across whole continents, which would take months. The direwolves and dragons also grow exponentially every season.

The writers overuses the term "fortnight" - "we'll be there in a fortnight", "Tommen can marry Margaery in a fortnight!", "Bring Gregor Clegane before me in a fortnight!" Even though it defies some of the logic, I always treat each season as taking place over the course 9 - 11 months with short gaps between seasons. It explains how all the cast look noticeably older every year, as well as the dragons. And when I talk about the cast looking older, I'm not just talking about the (former) child actors. I'm also talking about Kit Harrington (Jon Snow) and Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen) who don't look like the late teens they were supposed to be at the start of the show (they didn't even look like 16 - 19 years olds then).

When the first season aired, external information said that Robb and Jon were 17 (the show takes place seventeen years after the Rebellion), Sansa was 13, Arya was 11, Bran was 10 and Rickon was 6. Dany's age was kept ambiguous. In the books, she's a year younger than Robb and Jon but there's nothing to say the TV show couldn't make her the same age as them considering they could have all been born within short months of each other, during Robert's Rebellion.

Sansa says she's 14 in Season 3 to Tyrion but she could have been lying to emphasise how young she was or close to 15, going in tune with one year per season. Joffrey is stated to be 17 in Season 2. Loras says Tommen is 8 in Season 1 to Renly but Loras may have just been exaggerating. I always thought the actor playing Tommen looked close in age to the actor playing Bran so I would say he's 10 like Bran. The actress that played Myrcella also looked older than Arya. I believe both Myrcella actresses are both younger than Maisie Williams (Arya) but Williams is pretty baby-faced so I can buy Arya as a year younger than Myrcella. Here's how I think the ages are:

Robb: S1 (16 - 17); S2 (17 - 18); S3 (18 - 19)

Jon: S1 (16 - 17); S2 (17 - 18); S3 (18 - 19); S4 (19 - 20); S5 (20 - 21)

Daenerys: S1 (16 - 17); S2 (17 - 18); S3 (18 - 19); S4 (19 - 20); S5 (20 - 21)

Sansa: S1 (12 - 13); S2 (13 - 14); S3 (14 - 15); S4 (15 - 16); S5 (16 - 17)

Arya: S1 (10 - 11); S2 (11 - 12); S3 (12 - 13); S4 (13 - 14); S5 (14 - 15)

Bran: S1 (9 - 10); S2 (10 - 11); S3 (11 - 12); S4 (12 - 13); S5 (13 - 14 offscreen)

Rickon: S1 (6 - 7); S2 (7 - 8); S3 (8 - 9); S4 (9 - 10 offscreen); S5 (10 - 11 offscreen)

Joffrey: S1 (15 - 16); S2 (16 - 17); S3 (17 - 18); S4 (18 - 19)

Myrcella: S1 (11 - 12); S2 (12 - 13); S3 (13 - 14 offscreen); S4 (14 - 15 offscreen); S5 (15 - 16)

Tommen: S1 (9 - 10); S2 (10 - 11); S3 (11 - 12 offscreen); S4 (12 - 13); S5 (13 - 14)

Edited by Travy1991
  • Love 1

So, at this point I'm thinking there is very little chance that we will see Varys skulking around with a magnifying glass looking into The Case of the Disappearing Dwarf. It's a shame. Not only do I miss Varys himself, but I really was looking forward to the possibility that he would put together a whole team of crime-solving hookers.

• Love 1

I think we had our 3rd sighting of Dany's remaining Dothraki guards this season, still wonder what happened to the dude from the s2 finale who actually spoke and wasn't just an extra. I mean, obviously the actor was let go to make room for Missandei and co., but in-universe it's still a plot hole.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/18/2015 at 11:53 PM, Lady S. said:

ETA: Not made by me but I felt this needed to be here.

ArSlliY.png

After season 6, not entirely abandoned, I'd say. This boat is a littler lighter now.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 3