Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: Seeing Stars

• Start Topic

Abby and the moms discuss the highs and lows of he season, and try to resolve any remaining bad feelings. Holly and Abby go head-to-head; Cathy and Jeanette stir things up; and Maddie talks about her newfound fame and upcoming events.

Well, I missed the last 10 minutes as LifetimeTV.com again is flukey but I could do with a little less dancing by the girls and a little more interaction with the moms. I started watching the show because of the dancing aspect, however - that became routine - same steps - diff music and Maddie front and center so I got more involved in the mom's aspect. Again most group dances feature Maddie front and center, sometimes Kalani gets a turn, Mac gets a flip and Jojo and Nia stay  in the backgroud. Oh yeah - Kendall - she's kind of like Paige - there but not there.

I found that the audience clapped more and seemed to have a greater respect for Holly as they've seen through the years what the girls have had to experience. If I was Abby - I'd get a clue - but she's too into herself and being the great Abby Lee Miller.

I thought Jill looked as foolish as ever - complaining about the videos, how she couldn't compete with the help Holly got but in the next breathe claims she does what she does and stays loyal to Abby for fear of retaliation. To date - Nia's video has received more hits than Kendall's that was released more than 2 weeks earlier. Nia's is something the younger audience sees on a daily basis in other videos - professional and that's what these kids want not some kiddy pop.

I thought Abby was in the wrong criticizing Jesslyn's parenting - but we've seen that before. You can have all the degrees in the world - but without the experience of being a mom and the love and frustrations that come with being a mom - you have little credibility in my world. And being Abby has no degrees or experience as such - she should leave others' parenting skills alone. I know we have all expressed how we would have handled diff situation presented on Dance Moms - but then again even though most of us have parental experience - we don't know the whole circumstances behind the scenes.

I actual don't dislike Cathy like I use too - yes she has brought in outside dancers but Abby started doing the same thing. Also in the real world of dance and real competitions - I think many of Cathy's dances would have taken first or at least beaten Abby. Others complain of Cathy have outside choreographers but how much original choreography has Abby actually done. We see that Gia and the one other teacher at Abby's does most if not all of the choreography - if anything all Abby does is change a position or move for her final approval  - so she too uses other choreographers.

Melissa - I can't waste my time on - I used to like her, than I saw what the  other mom's were talking about - now she's not worth a breath. And Ava's mom got it right - Abby is using Maddie and always has.

So the part I missed was if Cathy was going to LA - and who was going to Australia - it seemed Holly was upset in the preview before the commercial - what happened? TY in advance!

(edited)

As I've said before, I stopped watching after Chloe left but still read the forum here (mostly mouth agape). I'm suddenly inspired to

A. Download Nia's song from iTunes and

B. Find her video and play it at least a couple of times a day for the next month.

Envisioning that harpy Jill's head explode as the counts rise will be my reward.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 4

I never watch the reunion episodes. I can't stand them yelling over each other and it's just so fake and stupid. Jeff Collins always looks miserable and I could care less because he is an annoying doucebag.

All these episodes are the mothers and Abby acting like catty immature middle school girls.

• Love 4

I never watch the reunion episodes. I can't stand them yelling over each other and it's just so fake and stupid. Jeff Collins always looks miserable and I could care less because he is an annoying doucebag.

All these episodes are the mothers and Abby acting like catty immature middle school girls.

Even when I watched the show I learned to avoid the reunions. Reason one: wanting to punch that guy in the face. I like my TV. :)

The screeching mothers were a close second.

• Love 5

I am also done with this show. What did I just watch? It was a combination of pro wrestling and Jerry Springer with a little Real Housewives and Roller Derby thrown in. Completely scripted and false.

(edited)

Viewers agreed and ratings were low:  1.207 M viewers and a .4 rating.

My question lately is how low will the ratings have to go before Lifetime pulls the plug?

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 3
(edited)

I really don't like the reunions either. My take is this Holly, if Abby is so terrible, and I am not saying she isn't, PULL YOUR KID. If I was Abby I would not want to teach a kid whose parent was so disrespectful to me. It's my studio, if you don't like it, stop screeching at me, and leave taking your kid with you. As a kid, I had a dance teacher named Mary Bruce in Harlem and my sisters and I were mortified when she called us "3 dumb Clucks" when we couldn't remember the Time Step. But bet 'cha we never forgot it again. Hell I still remember now and that was 56 years ago. Brush, drag, slam, brush, stomp, stomp, stomp, hop and repeat! LOL

Edited by lasandi
  • Love 3

Lifetime needs to find a new team. This show sucks now. The kids and mom's are so fake. I like the new dance mums UK because it's back to basics. Abby is jealous of any kid that may steal the spotlight from maddie. It's getting old lifetime!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I really don't like the reunions either. My take is this Holly, if Abby is so terrible, and I am not saying she isn't, PULL YOUR KID. If I was Abby I would not want to teach a kid whose parent was so disrespectful to me. It's my studio, if you don't like it, stop screeching at me, and leave taking your kid with you. As a kid, I had a dance teacher named Mary Bruce in Harlem and my sisters and I were mortified when she called us "3 dumb Clucks" when we couldn't remember the Time Step. But bet 'cha we never forgot it again. Hell I still remember now and that was 56 years ago. Brush, drag, stomp, brush, stomp, stomp, stomp, hop and repeat! LOL

The thing is, Holly is bound by a contract though I don't know if anyone knows what new one the moms have signed since the original one is up. However, that being said, Holly is playing a 'role' for Lifetime in all of this---I do think we are seeing Holly as herself to some degree, but all of the drama is being facilitated by Lifetime and with contracts she can't just pick up and leave even if she really, really wants to without paying for it. Her role this season has been to let Nia fill the role left by Chloe as the underdog, to be honest, I don't think anyone can truly fill that role but Lifetime is trying. So yeah, it may sound easy to say just leave but there isn't much of this show that is real---emotions maybe, but all the drama is set-up for them to react to...aka, scripted. 

The thing is, Holly is bound by a contract though I don't know if anyone knows what new one the moms have signed since the original one is up. However, that being said, Holly is playing a 'role' for Lifetime in all of this---I do think we are seeing Holly as herself to some degree, but all of the drama is being facilitated by Lifetime and with contracts she can't just pick up and leave even if she really, really wants to without paying for it. Her role this season has been to let Nia fill the role left by Chloe as the underdog, to be honest, I don't think anyone can truly fill that role but Lifetime is trying. So yeah, it may sound easy to say just leave but there isn't much of this show that is real---emotions maybe, but all the drama is set-up for them to react to...aka, scripted.

Lovestodance, you are probably right. Because no way a child can learn from a teacher who her mom doesn't respect and is constantly telling her to not listen to Abby. Of course, the kids have to be in on it as well in order for them to continue to learn. I have to stop getting all worked up over these reality shows who are all probably producer driven for the most part.

Anyone find it sickening how Abby called out jojo's faults on national TV? ThT was not the venue to call out a mother on being neglectful to her daughter. Abby had never said this to that mother before? How embarrassing for poor Jojo.

Those girls looked like puppets every time they came out to dance.

• Love 1

Agreed peach - I thought I commented on that above. What exactly was the problem with the Australia tour that seemed to have Holly so mad?

From an outside evaluating what comes out of Australia publicly so far, my guess is the story line is Nia being excluded. She was left off of almost every single promo flyer and event, and it seems like she and Jojo teamed up to go one way while Kendall, Kalani, M&M went the other.  

The difference between Chloe and Nia is that Chloe looked so sad.  I wanted to give her a hug.  Nia tries to reason with Abbe in an adult manner but it doesn't work when Abbe acts like a child.  I think Holly and Nia know they are just playing roles.

In the show, it showed Holly being upset about Australia because she and Nia are flying there.  However, Nia is being excluded from certain events.

• Like 1

The contract is fairly tightly binding.  It might not be a struggle worth fighting to get out of it.  We have a family member who has negotiated film and TV stars out of contracts and it is not an easy or cheap process.  If there are only months left on a contract, it is usually not at all worth it to try to negotiate out.  

Holly and Nia are very aware that they are playing roles for the show I've been told by people appearing on the show who have worked with them.  

I haven't seen Nia this season, but the impact shown in Chloe's body language finally did me in. If she was acting through all of it, give that girl an Oscar now. That was heady - and disturbing - stuff.

Horrified by what has been described here re Abby's treatment of Nia. Hoping it really is all acting and that the beast gives the girl a big hug at the end of every abusive scene.

• Like 1

I know a lot of this is producer driven - but many of the feelings shown are from the heart. Kelly and Christi were certainly upset with Abby and if the producers did drive it - it only amped it up. I once had a boss, who came in and one by one decimated the office like Abby does to these girls. She targeted one and then when they either got fed up and left or were let go - she'd go onto someone else. All the while treating us to lunches and gifts - making us feel secure in our jobs and positions. Finally my turn came and even as an adult - and seeing what her modus operandi was, I was still distraught as it's one of those things where you can't believe they are doing this to you.

Holly has had disagreements with Abby before and she's watched what went down with Kelly and Christi - but I really believe being Nia had such a great relationship with Abby - she finds what's going on unbelievable. Nia has been a member of the ALDC since the beginning - and being excluded from events, Abby not wanting to see the video shoot ect.. had to hurt. Are they playing a part - maybe - but I do believe that we see a lot of real emotion, especially from Holly because she was the calm and cool one, who approached Abby on a different level. She's now acting like Kelly and Christi - and Jill too.

You can't just get out of the contract because a minor is involved.  People keep saying that a judge would rule against the studio and yet I don't think a judge has yet or no one has made a good enough case.  

just watched this and i'm sorry but that was just messed up. Abby, melissa, and jill have SERIOUS issues is they think their behavior and attitudes towards their kids are ok. I'm out. I can't watch this junk anymore.

You can't just get out of the contract because a minor is involved.  People keep saying that a judge would rule against the studio and yet I don't think a judge has yet or no one has made a good enough case.  

This. The minor part doesn't matter; both Christi and more famously Kelly, attempted to get out of their contracts before they ultimately left and were always shot down. Add in the lawsuits against Abby for being abusive being consistently thrown out and you're left with families who really are stuck. 

• Love 1

I have to agree with the above posters. If contracts were so easy to get out of then Kelly and Christi would have been out long ago. Also with the abuse demonstrated each week - Paige's case would have been decided in her favor - and so far that's still in limbo. We don't know all the legalities or what goes on behind the scenes. It's easy to say what someone should do but we ourselves don't really know the situation until we're standing in their shoes.

• Love 1
(edited)

You can't just get out of the contract because a minor is involved. People keep saying that a judge would rule against the studio and yet I don't think a judge has yet or no one has made a good enough case.

But a minor can't enter or sign a contract

I have to agree with the above posters. If contracts were so easy to get out of then Kelly and Christi would have been out long ago. Also with the abuse demonstrated each week - Paige's case would have been decided in her favor - and so far that's still in limbo. We don't know all the legalities or what goes on behind the scenes. It's easy to say what someone should do but we ourselves don't really know the situation until we're standing in their shoes.

I don't feel sorry for these moms. They are all famewhores. If they really wanted to leave they'll find a way. Even if they cant, just shut up, sit down and don't feed into the drama. Eventually things will get boring. But nope they're still doing meet and greets and selling stuff. I give them all the side eye Edited by Darknight
  • Love 1

Minors can't sign contracts, but their parents can and unless proven otherwise are presumed to be competent to sign for their children.

I agree fully that there are things the parents could do and things they could tell their children to do such that production would be more likely to let them go or to not script scenes with Abby provoking them.