Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: The Woods

I watched it, but wasn't nearly as invested as I was before it went on hiatus.  Now we have to wait two weeks for the remaining two episodes.  This show was doomed from the start, and there were some episodes I did like.  

Among tonight's many eye-rollers, hai karate master Beth-Michelle knocked Ray out for a couple of seconds about six different times and managed to sprint all of four feet before he nabbed her again. But I guess if she'd taken a page from Detective Olivia Benson's book and just bashed his head in with a chair, there'd be no opportunity to bring him back from his fake death by incineration.

I still liked it, though!

• Love 3

LOL re Olivia Benson reference!  I thought the same thing when I was watching.

And agreed, this show was pretty much doomed from the get-go.  I enjoyed it for it's over-the-top-ness, and also for a good cast.  Sure more interesting to watch than that new CSI-Cyber Show, but the CBS powers that be will contort themselves to keep that on the air. 

• Love 1

It returned with higher ratings. Does this mean anything?? I don't think it will be cancelled.

I deleted the episode, but something in the promo seemed to indicate that it would be back next season.  I haven't been a big fan, but it's better than an awful lot of other junk that's on, so I'll pull for it to be renewed. 

It returned with higher ratings. Does this mean anything?? I don't think it will be cancelled.

It had ~8 million a week before the hiatus, and CBS changed the time-slot, and the newest episode had barely 6 million.

Good thing my DVR was smart enough to catch it in the new time slot.  I had no idea.  It seems silly to air the final 3 episodes in April/May rather than consecutively back in the fall, or whenever it was.  And with a 2 week break between this episode and the next one.  The network doesn't seem committed to the show at all. 

I'm sure Ray somehow got out of that house, as improbable as that is.

• Love 2

I'm sure Ray somehow got out of that house, as improbable as that is.

Yeah, that's a much-used move -- hope they didn't really go for that.  So tired of these super-criminals who manage to out-everything everybody else.  

• Love 2

Among tonight's many eye-rollers, hai karate master Beth-Michelle knocked Ray out for a couple of seconds about six different times and managed to sprint all of four feet before he nabbed her again. But I guess if she'd taken a page from Detective Olivia Benson's book and just bashed his head in with a chair, there'd be no opportunity to bring him back from his fake death by incineration.

I still liked it, though!

This was driving me CRAZY!

I understand that the average captive in this circumstance might panic and run the second their kidnapper is down, but Beth is trained in martial arts, and a cop.   Once that psycho hit the mat she should have kept hammering his skull until she was sure he was going to stay down.

At one point she actually knocks the guy down with a heavy metal fire poker, she then decides to throw the poker to the ground and run for the door.

Come on!   That's just lazy/poor writing.

• Love 1
(edited)

This was driving me CRAZY!

I understand that the average captive in this circumstance might panic and run the second their kidnapper is down, but Beth is trained in martial arts, and a cop.  

Oh, but it was eventually hilarious, though, don't you think?  I mean, one little rudimentary self-defense course taught me that if you get the advantage, keep on hammering 'til you're sure he won't hop up and chase you down again. Beth tried to scamper off at least three times.

It was actually very cool that Beth black-belted Ray so effectively. . .except then:  waah-waaah.

OF COURSE that's not Ray's body in the fire!!!  We had another handy corpse right there and ready to go.  And what's really really bad is that Beth-Michelle even knew there was another dead body somewhere in the vicinity.  What, did she just forget her discussion with Ray about the dead guy in the closet?

Oh, Stalker!  Don't you go changin'.

Edited by candall

I guess I am one of the five people that watched this episode. :-)

Oh, good, I was afraid Mrs. Torqy and I were the only masochists.

Yeah, that's a much-used move -- hope they didn't really go for that.  So tired of these super-criminals who manage to out-everything everybody else.  

As soon as the fire started, I told Mrs. Torqy "He's no longer in the house!" Just how did you think they would fill up the last two episodes, anyway?

(edited)

Well, I am really late to the party - or the wake, as the case may be.  This show obviously isn't important to me.  Haven't seen the last two episodes yet, and my DVR cut off the preview, but I figured Ray will get a way, if only because if he really dies it would have been the final episode - it would be really bad planning to have the series long story get resolved and then just have normal stalker episodes the next two episodes.  

I think the acting is, for the most part, really good, but the writing sucks - so illogical at times.  It is like it was written by middle school students.  This episode reminded me why it is so awful to watch - - - -

Among tonight's many eye-rollers, hai karate master Beth-Michelle knocked Ray out for a couple of seconds about six different times and managed to sprint all of four feet before he nabbed her again. 

I understand that the average captive in this circumstance might panic and run the second their kidnapper is down, but Beth is trained in martial arts, and a cop.   Once that psycho hit the mat she should have kept hammering his skull until she was sure he was going to stay down.

At one point she actually knocks the guy down with a heavy metal fire poker, she then decides to throw the poker to the ground and run for the door.

She has a poker in her hand but doesn't bother stabbing him?  She doesn't know the area at all, and he may have been hiding out here for weeks, but she thinks she can outrun him and find a place to hide?  

She whacks him with heavy objects and he keeps getting up, but he gives Janice a bump and she is knocked out cold instantly?

But there is more ---

Jack and Janice : Oh, we can't tell the FBI that we are going to this cabin because they would probably only have a deputy check it out.  Really?  

But, later, the FBI knew where to find them because she knew Jack would stop at nothing to save Beth.  Then why not just say - "Hey, Jack, where are ya going? Let me send a team with you just in case."  Instead of "Let's spy on Jack in case he knows something he is not telling us because he really wants to find Beth."  

Anyway... Jack and Janice think Beth is at the cabin because Ray was looking at a picture at the doctor's office.  What are the chances that the photo was actually a place that the doctor has a cabin near and what are the chances Ray would know where that is?  I can see how Ray might have asked the doctor about the picture, but the doctor would be pretty stupid to tell Ray the psychopath where the cabin is located.  

Of course - surprise! - Ray had to go to a different cabin because the doctor's cabin is having a frat party). But Jack and Janice seem to have now trouble finding the real cabin where Beth held Ray.  And seeing blood on the floor, they are certain Beth beat Ray up and it wasn't the other way around.

Beth runs and runs.  Ray runs and runs.  Ray can't seem to find her, even though she grunts loudly the whole time.  Jack and Janice leave the same cabin Ray and Beth left a while ago, but Jack and Janice immediately catch up to Ray and Beth.  Because, apparently, Jack and Janice walk through a forest in the dark as fast as Ray and Beth run through the forest (even when it was daytime when they started running).  And Jack and Janice, just happen to walk in the right direction.  The only way any of this makes sense is if Beth was just running in circles around the cabin and never got more than a 100 yards from it. Perhaps she wanted Ray to get close so she could kick him then run a few more feet and have him get up so she could kick him and run a few more feet .... lather, rinse, repeat, repeat.  This would explain why she didn't run near the driveway so she could get to the main road.

So Jack finds Beth, but - gasp! - Ray finds Janice.  And I guess with Beth's leg wound, it makes sense that Ray and Janice would make it to the cabin before Jack and Beth, so I will cut them some slack on that one.  

Did they all  go back to the original cabin - which would be the stupidest thing ever.  It seems to me that it was a new cabin because Jack went in asking if there was anyone home (There is no way he would be stupid enough to ask that in the cabin Ray held Beth captive, is there?).  So, if it is not the original cabin, then there wouldn't be a dead body in he closet - oh well, I guess I will find out about that if I ever get around to watching the final two episodes.   

So, Ray quickly knocks out Janice and has Jack tie up Beth - yeah, have Jack tie up Beth - that makes a lot of sense (sarcasm).  Let the strong, able male, be able to move freely, but tie up the injured woman.  And have someone who is trying to save her, tie her up, because Ray can count on Jack to tie up Beth so she can't escape - Ray wouldn't try to make it so she could get free, would he?  Well, apparently he wouldn't because she didn't get out on her own.  

Jack knocks out Ray - finally! But now Jack sees no way out.  The cabin is all in flames.  Ray apparently got there so much quicker than Jack and Beth that he had time to find a gas can and spread it around, while dragging Janice around with him (the little bit he sprinkled when Beth was there was just for dramatic effect).  Jack can't find a way out, but two cops, not firemen, walk through the door, with no special equipment, and save Jack.  Of course, this is a fire on TV, so the cabin blows up when they are just far enough away to get knocked down, not injured, by the blast.  

Well, I am glad to get this all off my chest (I suspect no one will read this, so it was all for my peace of mind).  

ETA: Ray was in a mental hospital in Washington state.  The doctor had picture in his office of a covered bridge near his cabin in Ojai, California.  Boy, Ray sure got lucky that Michelle moved so close to the California cabin owned by his Washington psychiatrist. 

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 1