Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E28: The Verdict

Ohmo
  • Start Topic

This was a case where I didn't like either side.  I think Anita did indeed stab herself, which makes me very suspicious of self-defense.

I think her son Drew was also laying it on a bit thick.  He didn't seem sincere.  However, Robert's daughter seemed the same way, only in defense of her father.

I did buy Anita's father, but I also think he was acting out of love for his child, as most parents would, and that didn't make what he was saying, no matter how much he meant it, true.

Her lawyer did royally screw up, though.  Made me think of Diane and Will on The Good Wife.  That'd be on a mistake like that in a heartbeat.

I do feel badly that the lawyer is now in a coma, however.

• Love 5

I agree Ohmo, didn't they wait to read her, her rights.  Also, couldn't they argue on appeal the lawyer did not provide a good defense?  Just curious.  In these cases I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.  Both sides were very biased.

Edited by applecrisp
  • Love 2

I think he was in the process of attacking, injuring and raping her. I think he had something of a previous pattern or the dark-haired friend would have to have been totally making up everything she said, and she seemed credible to me. But, I also think that after she shot him she panicked and added to her injuries -- tried to improve the situation. I do think both kids exaggerated, but that happens sometimes even in a nasty divorce. There seems no suspicion that she planned or enticed him into the situation, the officer said "no premeditation." I can't figure out a reason she would have shot him if he weren't violently overcoming her. Did she think he was going to kill her? I have no idea. But I do think he was hurting her and she shot him to make him stop. Her father broke my heart. 

• Love 5

I agree Ohmo, didn't they wait to read her, her rights.  Also, couldn't they argue on appeal the lawyer did not provide a good defense?  Just curious.  In these cases I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.  Both sides were very biased.

I think it's tricky because she did say they had an arrangement when he came over and they had sex.  She didn't particularly seem thrilled about it during the police interview, but she also never told him to stop coming either. Then, the night of the incident, the first sexual act was consensual, but the second one wasn't, according to her.  The nurse supports Anita's story, but the fact that she admitted she cut her stomach and the cuts everywhere else were superficial according to the state's expert gives me pause.  I don't think Robert was the "good guy" his daughter speaks of, but Anita has plenty of credibility issues of her own.  I don't believe her either.

• Love 3

One other thing, I recently watched Broadchurch-an English show about a murder of a boy in a small town.  The killer gets off, to the shock of everyone.  The young defense barrister does a fist bump after the victory.  Someone called it out on that thread.  I too, thought it inappropriate but had to have it pointed out to me.

I was not too happy with the lawyers squealing in the elevator. These are real people.  Just thought it unprofessional and wish Peter Van Zandt had given them a dirty look or something.  Sometimes things bug and this did for me.

• Love 2

This episode was so odd. Smoking POT made Robert violent?  The fighting described by the kids sounded...not good, but more like upsetting drama more than life-and-death scenarios.  I couldn't believe either Drew or Stephanie, they were both firmly on their own parents' sides, not budging an inch, likely not seeing the whole picture.  I don't think that either Anita or Robert were innocent in whatever fighting/drama was going one.  But...it really just sounded like garden-variety drama to me, prior to the shooting.

I found it really surprising she shot him...three times, no less.  I hate to say this, especially as a woman, but while no one deserves to be raped obviously (!), shooting someone is a really, REALLY big deal.  This was her ex or separated husband whom she invited over regularly for sex on Monday nights.  Was she really in fear of her life?  It just does not compute with me, that she shot him.  And I'm with you, mbutterfly, I think she realized she overreacted and stabbed herself to make it look like she was in more danger than she really was.

What I noticed is that there weren't really any...excesses, like other stories going on.  No mention of life insurance, or affairs, or anything like that that may have been a motive here.  Those things seem par for the course in these stories, but it didn't even seem like Anita had these kinds of motives.

Regardless of her actions, I was extremely pissed at those cops during her interrogation.  I believe that after a tragedy (even if she was the shooter), with 36 hours of no sleep, no food, no water, etc. and being grilled for HOURS, people are NOT at their best and they can be manipulated easily.  Those cops took advantage of that, and that really doesn't sit well with me.  And they really screwed up with "this is not being held against you now" or whatever.  She really should've lawyered up.

All in all, I would've found her guilty, too.  Maybe of manslaughter, I don't know...but I don't think she could've just walked after that.  Also, her father totally broke my heart as well.

Edited by jenkait
  • Love 5

The son sure was low key at prison sentence. He didn't even upset. Very odd. It was unusual that there didn't seem to be any real reason for their problems. Not that there needs to be a reason for spousal abuse but something was missing from this story. It just didn't add up. It was pretty obvious she she shot him & stabbed herself. She might have gotten away with it but her attorney blew it. I was curious to know what the two step siblings thought of each other then & now. I will say as a family they took beautiful pictures. Very storybook like with a nightmare ending.

• Love 4

The whole case sounded very sloppy to me. Not only did she get interrogated without any sleep, food, or water, but the detectives pretty much went into it with "we know you're guilty of murder, now tell us what we want to hear". One hour seemed like too short for this episode, as evidence found at the scene or motive for shooting Robert wasn't discussed a whole lot. They brought up the fighting and threats, but didn't go into a whole lot of detail. 

The couple being into rough sex was interesting, too. From what I heard, Anita consented just fine until Robert wanted to go again. Still rape and still wrong, but I don't find it nearly as dramatic as everyone on the show did because they just had sex, vs. a brutal rape from a stranger. (not advocating any rape, but I think there are different tiers of how savage it is) Anyway, shooting him three times kind of blurs the line between self defense and shooting to kill/murder. I really wish this was a two hour episode and they talked about everything in detail. Hearing "my mom wouldn't do this" / "my dad was a saint" repeatedly didn't help me come to a decision.

BTW, I agree about the lawyers squealing after the case. That's pathetic and juvenile; would have been nice if they could maintain a professional image until out of the building, at least.

• Love 6

It was a little harder than usual to determine who was guilty, but when she broke into dolphin-speak, I was over her.  Her son didn't even react to her hysteria, which reinforced how fake it was.  To top it off, the fact that they had to put her in a chair on wheels to haul her out, made it over the top ridiculous.

• Love 5

(not advocating any rape, but I think there are different tiers of how savage it is)

This is what I was trying to get at, what felt off to me about the episode.  It's not that rape is OK, but there is a difference with a stranger grabbing you and raping you, because who knows what is going to happen?  You have to defend yourself, by lethal force if necessary!  Someone you know well though, and have previously, repeatedly, engaged in consensual rough sex with...you suddenly feel the outcome could be him killing you?  I wonder if he was choking her or something...?  I just can't find a reason to shoot (three times) in that scenario.  Maybe she should've claimed she had a moment of insanity...maybe she did.

• Love 3

The pot thing got a big eye roll from me too.  She also took the gun out, hid it under her pillow, and then decided to shoot him.  I think she might have had an idea on what was going to happen as soon as he got there.

• Love 2

The pot thing got a big eye roll from me too.  She also took the gun out, hid it under her pillow, and then decided to shoot him.  I think she might have had an idea on what was going to happen as soon as he got there.

Either she knew what was going to happen, or she wanted this to happen and was goading Robert into getting angry enough to start a fight. I'm not saying he's an angel (far from it), but planting a gun under your pillow and inviting an ex-husband; who has shown violent tendencies towards you and your kid, over for sex does not sound like the smartest move. There's clearly a lot of information that was not addressed on TV.

• Love 4

Every time they showed Anita's dad all I could think was how much he looks like Aaron Spelling.

I know Robert's sister was defending him, but I thought as a cop she seemed clueless.  She figured because there is a picture of Anita and Robert standing in front of a Christmas tree, and that they spent NYE together watching fireworks, that proves that Anita was not afraid of Robert. I would hate to have her involved in any domestic violence case where the woman keeps going back to the man thinking she can make things right. It isn't something I necessarily understand, but then again I do not have a job where I might come across this situation. And often.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 2

My opinion is that Anita planned on killing him. I actually would have convicted her with or without the admission of inflicting her own wounds.

With that said, I don't agree with the way the cops treated her, because at that point, she was still innocent until proven guilty. Unfortunately, as seen from these types of shows, cops always treat people like that. Let me rephrase: The cops from the cases that usually appear on these types of shows usually always treat people the way that Anita was treated.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 2