Type keyword(s) to search

ASOIAF/GoT Speculation: Who Will Survive?

• Start Topic

If we look to the very end who do you think will be alive for the final credits and who will not?

If I were to make a list of all the main characters most likely to least likely to die it'd be something like:

Pycelle

Bronn

Barristan

Ramsay

Theon

Cersei

Littlefinger

Roose

Melisandre

Loras

Margaery

Grey worm

Jorah

Arya

Dany

Tyrion

---------------

Missandei

Jaime

Stannis

Varys

Davos

Brienne

Pod

Tormund

Bran

Gilly

Sam

Sansa

Jon

The line divides who I think will survive from who I don't. I know that technically Jon might already have died but since I don't think he will come back pretty much the same I don't count it.

I didn't rank the newly introduced players since I haven't really seen enough of them to have an opinion.

Edited by Holmbo

Who do I think will survive when the credits roll for the last season?

Assuming that everyone survives what goes down with the Others (I think many will but I won't totally leave the possibility of a darker sort of ending off of the table) my list looks something like this:

Jon 

Sansa

Jorah

Bran

Rickon

Yara

Brienne

Sam

Gilly

Podrick

Olenna

I'm on the fence about these people surviving but mostly lean towards survival happening:

Daenerys

Arya

Stannis

Davos

Varys

Those who I think will be really, sincerely dead by the end:

Cersei

Jaime

Myrcella

Tommen

Margaery

Loras

Roose

Ramsay

Qyburn

Doran

Trystane

Melisandre

Shireen

Barristan

Grey Worm

Missandei

Alliser Thorne

Lancel

High Sparrow

If we look to the very end who do you think will be alive for the final credits and who will not?

If I were to make a list of all the main characters most likely to least likely to die it'd be something like:

Pycelle

Bronn

Barristan

Ramsay

Theon

Cersei

Littlefinger

Roose

Melisandre

Loras

Margaery

Grey worm

Jorah

Arya

Dany

Tyrion

---------------

Missandei

Jaime

Stannis

Varys

Davos

Brienne

Pod

Tormund

Bran

Gilly

Sam

Sansa

Jon

The line divides who I think will survive from who I don't. I know that technically Jon might already have died but since I don't think he will come back pretty much the same I don't count it.

I didn't rank the newly introduced players since I haven't really seen enough of them to have an opinion.

Pycelle is already dead. He died at the end of ADWD. Or did you mean in the show? It's a book talk thread so I wasn't sure.

I have a pretty short list on who I definitely think will survive, it's mostly just the Starks, I don't think we'll see Sansa, Arya, Bran or Rickon die in the final 2 books or the last 3 seasons. But I do think there's a very good chance that Bran will never leave that cave.

Jon and Dany I'm torn about, I could easily see either or both of them going out in a blaze (perhaps a literal blaze) of glory in the no doubt upcoming battle with the Others.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
(edited)

Pycelle is already dead. He died at the end of ADWD. Or did you mean in the show? It's a book talk thread so I wasn't sure.

Yes my list meant the show but I think who lives and dies will be pretty much the same. Except for some characters who has been merged with several book characters. I didn't know what marking to use since I'm using book knowledge for my predictions.

Edited by Holmbo

I don't know about a complete list, because I can't remember them all lol, but a few thoughts....

Lannisters:  The prophesy would seem to indicate the children will die but I was kind of hoping the younger two would live.  Not sure if the show will kill them, but I'm sure GMMR will.  Cersei will live longer than I want her to, but I do think we will see her death by next season.  I think Jamie will be given the chance to do something truly heroic and will die protecting a king/queen like his White Cloak would demand of him.  He will finally become an oathkeeper in the end.  I believe - and want - Tyrion to survive it all and serve as the next Hand of King/Queen proving that he was the child his father should have had some faith in. 

Starks: I think Bran lives though is forever changed.  I think Rickon lives and becomes the head of House Stark.  I don't know about Sansa - the death of her dire wolf has always made me think she will die at some point.  Ayra could die a hero's death.  I believe Jon will finally know his true parents and will play some huge part in the finale battle but he could go either way - die to save the kingdom or live to protect the Wall.

Dany: Lives to take the Iron Throne.

Stannis: Dies, but does so serving the kingdom.

Tommen and Margaery consummating their relationship in the show makes me even more sure they won't survive the series. I'm not exactly sure why just that the fact that Marg was officially a virgin was so important to her role in the game.

I always pictured Jamie making peace with Tyrion, hooking up with Brianne, then dying to save people, or even the country. 

Jon and Danny will unite on the throne, saving Westeros from all the millions of threats against it. 

Stannis dies defending the Wall from the white walker horde. 

The Starks end up back in the North, after Ramsey and Roose are eaten by dogs.

Theon dies saving Bran.

I could see an ending where Dany and Jon die saving the world, leaving the hum drum post-apocolyptic kingship to Stannis.

Perhaps the dragons will also perish, or perhaps they'll just fly away afterwards.

I'm not saying that will happen, and I don't know how it would square with any book prophecies since the YMB/valonqar prophecy is the only one I remember.

(edited)

All the unhappiness about Sansa's story line this episode made me reflect over peoples expectations about how this series is 'supposed' to play out. Both the books and the show has been indicating Sansa being on a path of becoming a successful game player. We expect her to learn from all her misfortunes and finally take control of the situation. But so far this hasn't actually happened, neither in show nor books. Still we expect it because so much in the story points to this.

This made me think about the overall expectations people have for this series. If you had to bet on an ending what would your guess be? Do you think it will be Jon and Dany at the throne with Tyrion as hand and Sansa as his wife and all the Boltons and Freys and whitewalkers burned by the dragons?
Or will it just end with the whitewalkers wiping everybody out because they where to busy squabbling over power among each other. I guess most peoples guesses falls somewhere in between. Or maybe they are different from this scale.

I myself feel in a way that what I really want for the end of the series is for things to somehow have progressed. Because really whoever rules only matters in the short run. I would enjoy if the system somehow changed to make a better society overall. I'm not sure how that would happen though. Maybe the maesters have some conspiracy to gain more power in the ruling and use their knowledge to benefit the realm. Maybe Dany will set up some kind of system of a council represented by different classes of people under the threat of ther dragons if people doesn't respect it.

I don't find this very likely though. It's probably gonna continue with the same system they've had for hundreds of years. In this case I think it will be an ending which we would in theory find happy but in practice there will be some aspects of it which makes it less enjoyable.

Edited by Holmbo

How does marrying Ramsey Bolton prove she hasn't learned anything? How does not being able to fully "take control" of a crazy psychotic bastard who is legally empowered to do whatever he wants with her, in any way suggest that she hasn't learned from her previous misfortunes? Remember, she is doing all of this so she can kill these guys. It's not a fast process because she's not Jaime Lannister or Bronn--she has to do this the way an unarmed person facing highly trained warriors must--through stealth and misdirection. She cannot just walk up to Ramsey in front of everybody and stab him. She's going to have to do as Littlefinger did with Lyssa Arryn--win his trust, and maneuver him. Unfortunately step one, marry Ramsey, is followed by step two--consummate the wedding. And that's just not fun for any of us, but it's what she had to do.

Step Three: use role as trusted wife to kill all the Boltons, is going to take some time, and there might be a lot of 2A, 2B, 2C....etc....because a wife doesn't have quite the same advantage over a husband that Littlefinger had with Lyssa.

• Love 1
(edited)

Oops didn't mean to turn this thread into another Sansa discussion. They are quiet interesting but there are already so many.

What I meant to convey with my post is that the discussions about Sansa shows what we expect from her overall arc. But we can't know for sure our expectations will turn out. Which made me think about our overall expectations to the series and how people think it will end.

Edited by Holmbo
  • Love 1

Well, I definitely have to change my vote on Stannis. I think he's toast. 

Loras and Margaery are going to be out sooner than I initially thought. 

I wonder if there's any chance of Roose abandoning Ramsay and attempting to make it back to the Dreadfort once shit starts to go down. 

The Starks end up back in the North, after Ramsey and Roose are eaten by dogs.

Funny you should say this, because I was thinking about the best way to give Ramsay his comeuppance. I couldn't decide if I wanted Brienne to behead him under the orders of the Lady of Winterfell, or if he should try to escape, only to stumble, bruised and bleeding, into his kennel where he's been starving his dogs in preparation for another hunt.

• Love 2

I wonder what happens to Shireen and Davos if Stannis dies. Those are the ones I'm really invested in for that story line.

I think maybe there's a chance of Ramsay revolting towards Roose and flaying him alive as a sort of crazy crescendo before going to battle against the wall or something. And as he gets to the wall that's when the ice zombies finally attack and breach through the wall. They don't stop to kill everyone because they want to head south (for some reason we'll never know) so they'll just march southwards killing people and reanimating them as wights.

In Kingslanding Jaime comes back from Dorne before Cersei's trial, with Myrcella, Trystane and two of the sandsnakes. Cersei begs him to be her champion but he turned her down. Instead he leaves KL (for what reason? I have no idea. Maybe to convince the Lannister army to come to KL even though Lancel, the current head of the Lannister family, has ordered them not to). In the Riverlands he runs into Brienne. She tricks him into going with her to brotherhood without banners because they have Pod as a hostage. The reason she and Pod are in the RL is because they, Sansa and Theon all ended up in Stannis camp. When he lost to the Boltons they fled. (Seems kinda hard to get to the Riverlands thorugh all that snow but since they're not in the north in the books I think the show would allow them to go wherever they needed to). In the Riverlands they ran into BwB lead by Blackfish and he saw Brienne's Lannister sword and threatened to kill Pod if she didn't bring Jaime to them. They needed him in order to infiltrate the Frey wedding and kill everyone there.

In KL Cersei wins her trial by combat. Margaery and Loras both dies which brings the Tyrell wrath down on Cersei and she, Tommen and Myrcella runs to CR. However the sandsnakes have poisoned Tommen which will slowly kill him. Tommen dies as the whitewalkers make it to the Westerlands and he reeminate as a whight and strangles Cersei.

Then there are some dragons.. and old town and ironborn.... I don't know how these will factor in to the end. I think both Oldtown and the ironborn will be (re)introduced in season 6.

The whole end game is difficult for me to work out because I feel like the whitewalkers will have to get a bit into the kingdoms in order to be worth all the build up they gotten. This mean that the wall defense must fall. On the same time I don't know what people in the north would do ones the white walkers invaded. They'd all die or at least be snowed in. That's not exciting.

Funny you should say this, because I was thinking about the best way to give Ramsay his comeuppance. I couldn't decide if I wanted Brienne to behead him under the orders of the Lady of Winterfell, or if he should try to escape, only to stumble, bruised and bleeding, into his kennel where he's been starving his dogs in preparation for another hunt.

When I think of how that "hunt" went last season and when I consider that Myranda is probably going to end up being dog chow this season, I have to agree that this would be a fitting end for Ramsay. I want him to beg, scream, and show fear before he dies or it won't be satisfying for me. 

• Love 1

So, after last night's episode my spec is, having been refused by Stannis, Mel will go to his crazyass wife and convince her to sacrifice Shireen. Since I don't think they'll kill Shireen, but opt for maximum pain, Stannis will be occupied and our loyal Davos will have to be the one to kill Stannis' nutjob wife to save Shireen, driving a rift between him and Stannis (saved his daughter, but killed his wife) and Shireen (even if its to save you, watching your mom get killed by a guy you trusted would be rough).

If it were up to me I'd pull an AA on Mel and plunge a searing hot blade into her chest to qwench it as the sacrifice and start listening to freaking Davos. Winter is coming... no ones going to call you a coward for putting the lives of your men ahead of glory and wintering down someplace. Castle Black may not be ideal, but at least the people up there know how to surivive the everpresent cold. Get Sansa, Brianne and Pod out of Winterfell and up there too and maybe our not complete monsters in Westeros can get a chance to regroup and recover.

By the end of this season, I hope Ramsey is toast and Sansa gets to stay in Winterfell.  I suspect Brie might die, but I hope not.  I think Davos will head else ware with little Shireen and find Rickon and we will see those two young lads in Winterfell next season when Roose also bites the dust.

I don't know if Stannis makes it out of this season alive. But with Mel sensing power in Jon, all the speculation that Jon is a Targ and perhaps the real prince that was promised - I think Stannis will fail this season and Mel will turn her sites to Jon instead.

I think season six will see the end of Roose if he is still around, Jorah will die early if he doesn't die in the next three episodes, Cersei will go nuts and die at the end of season six or early season seven which means Jamie will probably go down at the same time. I keep hoping Tommen and Marcella somehow survive so we shall see.  I also think season six will see the end of the FM and perhaps many of them will die.

I think the Tyrells might die when Cersei goes nuts or they will just sink back to HG.  I don't think they matter in the long run for some reason.

By the end of season six or early season seven, I think Dany will sit the Iron Throne but will then realize she must turn North.  Dany, Sansa (I hope), and Jon (and maybe Arya if she has returned) and Bran through magic will be front and center for the war with the whitewalkers.  In all likelihood Tryion and Sam will be there as well.  I don't know who will survive that mess, but I give them all about a 50/50 shot at it.

• Love 1

More and more I keep wondering why, on the show Sam was left alive by the White Walkers. 

I was veering into this territory in speculation or episode threads, so went looking for a thread that encompassed the whole story, not just "seasons" or "character arcs."

Anyway, I'm wondering if Sam being left alive was a foreshadowing of who or at least what kind of people will survive by the end of the books/show.  Maybe the White Walkers are actually the good guys, cleansing the earth from the disgusting, greedy, murderous, raping scum that has ruled for far too long?  So, every so often they do show up in a big way and the world gets a reset button?

So, as to who will survive?  Maybe the White Walkers have an inner compass/decency meter that tells them which ones should live?  Kind of like a hive mind ruling force so their walking dead army instantly knows "let this one live, kill that one?"

Of course, they wouldn't have the complete say in any of this, since the characters are busy killing one another all the time, and destroying the crops and farmers and animals that everyone will need to have any chance to avoid the weather side of the problems that are coming.  So the "good" or "benign" will die as well, but maybe not at White Walker hands.  They just swoop through and do clean up on aisle 9 (and all the others as well.)  I don't see them as getting involved in the politics of who will lead, just basically leaving as many decent examples of humans around as they can, and thus pressing "reset" but, having left the human race with the best possible chance since they kept the truly decent they could save around?  Walk away.

The saddest thing, to me would be that those left alive revert to placing someone in power simply based  on who their ancestors were, in other words, in spite of the help from the WW, they know nothing.

Now who are the worthy, if this theory is true, who are the decent people that we've actually seen on the show/books?  (obviously, many of the little people are, but we don't pay much attention to them on the show or even in the books.)  Or maybe it's not even about "decency" and instead it's about who will do the least harm, or be the catalyst for the most harm, so in spite of being decent, must go (ala Dani?)

My first though is the monks that have the Hound, because I think he's alive and they do.  Probably the Hound as well, but he seems destined to die a heroic death somehow.

After that?  The first that come to mind are Sam (of course since they already let him live), Bran, and Jon, maybe Sansa. 

I somewhat agree with you Umbelina.

I think Sam will live. I also think the following people will (from the major PoV characters) as well: Jon, Bran, Tyrion, Jaime, Brienne, Davos. 

Wildcards: Sansa - I think she'll "live" but I have a feeling she might suffer a really strange fate that is probably more in line to be discussed in the speculation thread. Daenerys - I could see her dying a saviour, or basically riding off into the sunset with Drogon never to be seen or heard from again. Arya - Arggghhh (she's a tough nut to predict for). I could see her regaining herself and coming back from the brink she is currently at, or I could see her dying having found herself once more. I just keep remembering that line from the books about sewing all winter and finding her in the spring with a needle clutched in her hands. Theon - he either lives until the end, or dies heroically.