Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E18: Live Top 12 Eliminations

• Start Topic

I recognize that 8 is too small a sample to reach any definitive conclusions.  But when those singing first and second are 0 for 16, then you have to start wondering.  But perhaps I'm overly sensitive just because I haven't agreed with the twitter saves about half the time (beginning with Ryan Sill last season).

This hit the nail on the head.  There's a harshness to Kimberly's delivery and voice that I don't exactly enjoy.  I'm still riveted and impressed by her, though.

I must like Corey better than all of you.  He hasn't developed a signature style yet, I'll agree, but I think he has enough going for him that it's perfectly fine for him to be there still.  I already like him far better than I ever did Danielle, and look how far she got.  I find his clear desire to connect with the song to be quite endearing.  It's nice to see some emotion to counterbalance all the vocal acrobatics that others highlight.

Sawyer and Josh need to step up.  Team Christina is the only chance to challenge those two.  However, II worry Christina will rely on the same old tricks in her coaching tips bag and India will become utterly generic and Rob won't ever learn restraint, and neither one of them will turn into much of a challenge.  Kimberly, I'm counting on you to keep your own style! 

I think Top 6 is when the contest will start to get interesting.  No big deal until then.

Just goes to show how people have different tastes.  For instance one of the things I like best about Kimberly is the rawness in her voice.  It's very suited to the rock songs she's been doing.

I think Danielle was miles ahead of Corey when it comes to her voice.  While I wasn't always convinced by her performances and Corey has an edge there (not surprising given he's older and had much greater performing experience prior to the show), I would still give Danielle a significant overall advantage.

There is no Top 6.  They go directly from Top 8 to the Semifinals (Top 5).  In any case, I think the overall level of talent is so high this season that every week is going to be a nail-biter.  I suspect that perhaps only Sawyer and Kimberly can probably get away with bombing a performance.

And I don't care, I thought Nick Jonas sounded great. Nice jam, too. I may or may not have downloaded his album and I may or may not have been surprised by the number of good songs on it.

I also thought Jonas sounded pretty good.  But then "Chains" is pretty much the only song of his that I sort of like.  It's certainly much more to my tastes than "Jealous".

Edited by viajero
Challenge those two?

All I meant was that Sawyer and Josh were two of my favorites from the auditions, and of all the remaining field, the only people I can see beating them are India and Kimberly.  And Sawyer and Josh haven't been spectacular lately, so they need to step it up.

Sorry to be so unclear, Donny Ketchum.  I'm probably shouldn't post when I'm so sleep deprived, but it's a hard habit to break.

AfterbuzzTv has a bunch of interviews with the contestants from after the Top 12 performances.  Some interesting tidbits...Deanna said she did have that song on her list of songs she wanted to do but wasn't sure about doing two Christian songs in a row, but it sounds like Adam kind of pushed it. Mia said she wanted to do pop next...kind of sad we won't hear that because I do wonder how she would sound with something poppier. I still think that girl has star quality with a little more coaching. She reminds me of Carly Rae Jepsen a bit (not vocally, but personality/charisma-wise). Sawyer said a lot of the songs he would like to sing aren't popular enough for The Voice...not surprising.  And man, Meghan knows a lot of country music people. 

I don't usually question itunes sales because tastes are subjective.  But I have to say I'm beyond puzzled that a contestant who makes a huge noticeable blunder can actually hit #2 on itunes.  I don't know what to think.  

Itunes at voting close:

(http://headlineplanet.com/home/2015/04/14/the-voices-kimberly-nichole-sawyer-fredericks-meghan-linsey-pacing-for-itunes-bonuses/)

2) Sawyer Fredericks – Team Pharrell – Imagine
3) Kimberly Nichole – Team Christina – House of the Rising Sun
4) Meghan Linsey – Team Blake – Girl Crush
25) Joshua Davis – Team Adam – America
33) Koryn Hawthorne – Team Pharrell – Stronger
36) Deanna Johnson – Team Adam – Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)
41) Rob Taylor – Team Christina – I Put a Spell on You
43) Corey Kent White – Team Blake – Why
50) India Carney – Team Christina – Take Me to Church
63) Hannah Kirby – Team Blake – Edge of Seventeen
73) Mia Z – Team Pharrell – Miss You
216) Brian Johnson – Team Adam – If I Ever Lose My Faith in You

• Love 1

"I don't usually question itunes sales because tastes are subjective. But I have to say I'm beyond puzzled that a contestant who makes a huge noticeable blunder can actually hit #2 on itunes. I don't know what to think."

Can only speak for myself, but for me, it's because he's kind of like Dylan. He's not really a great vocalist but he can just emote with literally everything that comes out of his mouth. There's something so authentic and raw about it all.

(And I am not a teenage girl and I HATE the hair).

• Love 1

I think the other thing to keep in perspective is that the top 10 in Itunes sales isn't really huge numbers in terms of sales if you're only up there a couple of days.  We're talking about maybe 10k-20k sales.  That's not that unbelievable if we factor in that a show like this can at times generate very invested fans that are willing to spend a couple bucks to support their favorite.

I don't unload iTunes, so I don't know if this is the case, but I thought that what you purchased on iTunes is a studio version and not the TV version.  So Sawyer's mistake from TV would not be on what you buy.

• Love 2

It's true that the itunes version is not the live TV version. However, I don't recall any problematic performance charting that high before. Usually songs that reach the top 10 are ones that were performed very well during the live shows. At least during these early stages of the game.

Sawyer hit #2 with a flawed performance of an overdone song in Top 12 week. Amazing. Makes me wonder what the actual voting looks like and if Sawyer's lead is basically insurmountable. 

• Love 1

While Sawyer seems to be in a very comfortable spot, I would still be very nervous if I were Kimberly, India or Meghan.  The wrong song and off night could pout them at the bottom.  Just because they are high one week, it doesn't seem to transfer to the next.  

While Sawyer seems to be in a very comfortable spot, I would still be very nervous if I were Kimberly, India or Meghan.  The wrong song and off night could pout them at the bottom.  Just because they are high one week, it doesn't seem to transfer to the next.  

Yes, Mia was voted in last week and was in the bottom three this week. 

As for Sawyer's Imagine, I don't buy iTunes.  However, he only missed a note so he didn't totally mess up.  So if the iTunes is a studio version then I can see people buying it.  If somebody completely messed up and had pitch issues all over the place (like the AI contestants this year) then I wouldn't buy it.

It really is amazing how people go over and over about that note. He was certainly not the only contestant to miss a note on Monday. 

It's a darn shame Mia was eliminated. Especially considering some of the people we still have around. Song choice and Reba's comment got her in the B3, but going first + a commercial break put her dead in the water. I hope Pharrell uses a bit more strategy with his other two young but talented contestants. 

Edited by mercfan3

It really is amazing how people go over and over about that note. He was certainly not the only contestant to miss a note on Monday. 

It's a darn shame Mia was eliminated. Especially considering some of the people we still have around. Song choice and Reba's comment got her in the B3, but going first + a commercial break put her dead in the water. I hope Pharrell uses a bit more strategy with his other two young but talented contestants. 

Seriously. It was one note, and he covered. I'm also very disappointed that Mia Z went early (and I would have -loved- if she'd done "You've Really Got a Hold On Me". I'm sure Kimlberly is very good, but I just  enjoyed her singing much more than either her or Deanna. Or India, for that matter.

Sawyer's not my favorite, but I'd be glad if he took the win (and for Pharrell rather than Adam/Blake). I think his appeal (apart from his age and unusual looks and backstory) is that he just seems so honest and sincere when he sings. Half the time with the others I really want to ask them, "What did that song mean to you when you sang it? What were you feeling?" (See: Kimberley and House of the Rising Sun).  With Sawyer, I never feel he's singing a song he doesn't feel or doesn't understand. And, while not remarkable, his voice is strong and clear and unadorned with runs and tricks. Personally, I like that and wish some of the others (See: Team Christina, every season) would do more of the same.

• Love 1

Did not say the one note should have gotten Sawyer eliminated. Just that I'm surprised that the outcome was at the other extreme...that the song became one of the best-charting itunes ever for the show.

Granted I didn't think the performance was that great anyway even without the blunder. A decent number of people must feel differently on that point, absolutely love that song, and/or love Sawyer enough to buy anything from him.

I can see where people might not have loved Sawyer's cover. He made small changes to the melody, and Lennon songs can sometimes be considered untouchable. Plus the song has an angelic quality, whereas Sawyer's voice is kind of raw.

My comment wasn't in reply to what you said, I saw a significant portion of complaints about that one note..and although it's an iconic part of the song that he missed on (and then changed the note the second time around) I give him a pass because it's one note..and my guess is given his age, that's one of the qualities of his voice (His falsetto) that he has to re learn. Looking at videos when he was younger, he was quite good at it, but his voice has changed (and given he's 15/16 I'd say quite recently)...and it was just one note. 

Sawyer and MIa were my personal favorites, though I really like Kim a lot..and I'm now definitely rooting for a Kim or Sawyer win. I didn't love her rendition of "House of The Rising Sun" for the same reason...her interpretation did not fit the song. However, her voice is incredible and stage presence and performance ability is second to none on the show right now..so even though I much preferred "What's Up" this performance won't deter me from being a fan. 

• Love 1

I thought I read something about Sawyer admitting his voice still breaks because of his age, and I think knowing how to deal with it, when it happens is just something he's learned to do --it's not like he can control it right now.

• Love 1