Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E21: Beacon

• Start Topic

Solid episode tonight. I feel we're being very well set up for the last 3 (omg, it feels like the season just started, how can we be be staring at hiatus already?!). Hints of Callen's story coming into play again as well as the IA investigation for Deeks.

I can't figure what is going on with Deeks though. Did he do something (and manage to hide it from all including Hetty) or is he just as puzzled by this as they are? Time will tell I suppose. I do like that Kensi seems to know when to push and when to back off, and that Deeks is not keeping secrets from her.

Love Granger being the loop and not caring! Also his utter exasperation with the dramatic tendencies and pauses. Right there with you Owen.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 1

Love Granger being the loop and not caring! Also his utter exasperation with the dramatic tendencies and pauses. Right there with you Owen.

Granger has really grown on me over the seasons. 

I actually thought Deeks does know what the investigation is about.  I could be wrong.

Is there any chance Arkady is Callen's father?  They seem to have quite a connection.

• Love 2

Also his utter exasperation with the dramatic tendencies and pauses. Right there with you Owen.

Which was also kind of funny in a meta way, since Miguel Ferrer's dad was all about the dramatic tendencies and pauses.

Wait, didn't Arkady murder that guy he blew up? I know he's an asset/source blah blah blah, but they couldn't hold him for that at least? This show, sometimes.

True, he did kill the guy.  But it was self defense - the other guy was a hit man out to kill Arkady.

Yeah, Arkady supposedly can't be Callen's dad because he says they were friends and Callen has a video of a guy who isn't Arkady playing with him and his sister when they were kids.

I keep hoping they'll somehow undo that, though. Rather like I've been waiting for the original Amy Callen to come back from the dead.

Delurking to ask a question. . . When Eric and Nell ID'd the guy who was trying to kill Arkady, using snippets of his reflection from windows and mirrors, their reaction to who it was, as you all have mentioned, was very dramatic.  Then we find out later that it was the disgraced policeman, who had no obvious connection to the team (other than the likely connection to Deeks, which has yet to be explored).  Based on Eric and Nell's reaction, I was expecting the guy to be some big baddie from a past season.  Did I miss something, or was it drama for the sake of drama? 

• Love 1

I thought the guy from the reflections and mirrors was Arkady - they got reflections of him as he was leaving after killing his would-be assassin and blowing up the car. At the time they thought Arkady was killed, therefore the guy leaving would be the guy who killed him. That's why Nell told Eric that maybe he should tell Hetty that it was a ghost.

• Love 3

I really liked this episode.  Granger was hilarious.  

Arkady is back!  I feel like he's indestructible.  (but if they make him Callen's father then I am certain they'll kill him off).  I like how he interacts with the rest of the cast.

I hope they don't put off the Deeks' under investigation plot.  

• Love 1

I really liked this episode.  Granger was hilarious.  

Arkady is back!  I feel like he's indestructible.  (but if they make him Callen's father then I am certain they'll kill him off).  I like how he interacts with the rest of the cast.

I hope they don't put off the Deeks' under investigation plot.  

I agree with all of this.

I'm pretty sure Arkady has been ruled out as Callen's father though. Didn't they establish that his dad was Russian soldier that vanished into the gulags back in the 70's?

Loved Granger showing initiative in protecting Deeks from IA.

• Love 1
I'm pretty sure Arkady has been ruled out as Callen's father though. Didn't they establish that his dad was Russian soldier that vanished into the gulags back in the 70's?

I always worry that there will be some re-writing of the storyline (since tv shows seem to do that a fair amount).  I'm going to have faith in the show runners for now.

I forgot that about Granger being cranky and looking out for Deeks.  I'm iffy on the character sometimes, but ever since Granger had the Meerkat line, I feel like he's becoming more part of the team and less of an adversary.

• Love 1

I hadn't considered the idea that Eric and Nell saw Arkady's face.

I'm glad it's not just me, because that whole sequence confused me until I re-watched the episode just now.  I guess it was so clear to me that Arkady was the one who walked away from the car in the cold open (I mean, it was totally his swagger :), that I forgot that the characters still thought he was probably blown up.

As a huge Deeks fan, I too loved that first scene with Granger, where he suggested that Hetty shouldn't send Kensi and Deeks into the field, because they needed to protect Deeks from the IA investigation.  Even at the middle of last season, I think Granger would have said that they needed to pull Deeks to protect Kensi, or to protect NCIS, rather than to protect him.  I like to think that Granger finally realizes Deeks' value to the team.  Especially since Granger made that super-mean crack last season about how sending Deeks to Afghanistan would be like a National Lampoon vacation movie, only to have Deeks totally save everyone's ass when they all were there.

I also thought that Deeks' response to Kensi, when she asked him if IA was going to find anything, was really odd.  What does "I don't know how to answer that" mean?  Surely the answer is either "No, there's nothing to find," or "Well, I guess if they dig hard enough, then there's . . ."  How do you not know how to answer that?

Since the last three episodes of the season are supposed to be an arc, and since the two elements appear to be Callen, Arkady and nefarious Russians, and Deeks' problems with IA, and since there is already a cross over of two disgraced (and dead) former LAPD detectives, I am wicked curious to see how and if the threads pull together.

• Love 1

please, someone refresh my memory - at one point in the series, Hetty gives Deeks an application for NCIS. Has Deeks talked about a specific reason why he has continued to be an LA detective instead of moving over to NCIS? Was it just to have this IA investigation storyline?

She gave him the application back in Season 2,when he was fairly new. I believe Deeks was really flattered but said being a cop was part of who he was and wanted to stay liaison. I don't think it was done for this particular story line unless the writers are playing a very long game.

• Love 1

She gave him the application back in Season 2,when he was fairly new. I believe Deeks was really flattered but said being a cop was part of who he was and wanted to stay liaison. I don't think it was done for this particular story line unless the writers are playing a very long game.

I just can't give the writers any credit for thinking this far ahead.

• Love 2

I just can't give the writers any credit for thinking this far ahead.

agreed - i just wonder why he's still a cop. I thought maybe it was because he and Kensi could skate on their relationship because he wasn't *technically an agent.

agreed - i just wonder why he's still a cop. I thought maybe it was because he and Kensi could skate on their relationship because he wasn't *technically an agent.

That is the best reason I can come up with Betsy

• Love 2