Type keyword(s) to search

Gogglebox: Not the Internet Company That Owns Everything... The International Versions of TPC

If Gogglebox WAS owned by Google, you wouldn't find whole episodes posted so often on YouTube! (or even so many clips) 

BTW: There's also apparently now an Australian version, also named "Gogglebox" (the Aussies seem to split how often they use a UK name for a show vs. a US one fairly evenly, and this time the UK name won).

Anyway, if you live in the UK, or live in Australia, or live in the US and just bop around YouTube a lot and have seen it, then discuss here.  It is People's Couch, after all.  Them either being intimidated by Google and/or thinking American audiences might find the name too weird doesn't change that.

Edited by Kromm
BTW: There's also apparently now an Australian version, also named "Gogglebox" (the Aussies seem to split how often they use a UK name for a show vs. a US one fairly evenly, and this time the UK name won).

The British version came first, basically.

• Love 1

Aussie shows from other countries usually take the original title, often with "Australia" as a suffix to differentiate. I think the one exception is Dancing with the Stars, where the US took its title from us rather than the other way around.

I saw the Australian version for the first time last week. They haaaaaated the Doctor Who premiere.

I saw the Australian version for the first time last week. They haaaaaated the Doctor Who premiere.

I found and watched that episode of Gogglebox AU on Youtube. I can relate, I watched an episode (or two) Doctor Who becauae of my friends. In retrospect, it was kinda meh.

Now, I've fallen down the Gogglebox AU rabbithole. I love it! Though TPC is still number one.

Edited by Chrissytd

I think it's hilarious how even self-aware that it's not "Googlebox". we (presumably all Americans) seem subject to typing that anyway!

Really it's the worst show name ever. Who wants brand confusion like that?

• Love 2

I think it's hilarious how even self-aware that it's not "Googlebox". we (presumably all Americans) seem subject to typing that anyway!

Really it's the worst show name ever. Who wants brand confusion like that?

I didn't even notice I spelled it wrong the 2nd time.

I found a short clip of the Marilyn/Boy George celeb Google box, but I haven't found a link to the whole thing.

I sent you the link.

I don't know whether to thank you all or curse you all for alerting me to the existence of Gogglebox/TPC Canada.  

I watched about 5 minutes of one of the UK shows, but -- honestly -- I think I needed subtitles to understand what some of them were saying.  

So I switched and started watching one of the Australian episodes and I am officially hooked.  It probably helped that the the first two shows in the AU episode were the Australian version of Family Feud and E!'s Fashion Police, so the shows were more familiar to me than the ones featured in the few minutes that I watched of the UK episode.  

I didn't have time to watch the whole episode, but I'm going to try to finish watching later tonight and will probably go back and start watching the other AU episodes.  And, I'm going to try watching some of the episodes of TPC Canada.

Or...should I "save" these for when our TPC finishes its season.... what to do? what to do...?  

I watched about 5 minutes of one of the UK shows, but -- honestly -- I think I needed subtitles to understand what some of them were saying.  

So I switched and started watching one of the Australian episodes and I am officially hooked.  It probably helped that the the first two shows in the AU episode were the Australian version of Family Feud and E!'s Fashion Police, so the shows were more familiar to me than the ones featured in the few minutes that I watched of the UK episode.   

I'd say it gets easier with repeated exposure to British TV... but I think that's only true somewhat, with certain people. It's something akin to having an ear for music/pitch or a skill at learning languages, but is in fact neither of those skills overtly (because I'm sure there's some overlap with both but it's not the same--I myself for example am good at deciphering accents but have no skill at all with either music or learning foreign languages).

In terms of content, I'd say both the UK and AU shows have stuff pop up that's very familiar to us (and the Canadian version even moreso), but the stuff that AREN'T US shows or movies are a bit further out with the UK version than the others. It's very educational in a sense, because it kind of teaches that the assumptions we make (as Americans) about how our bad TV is probably the worst in the world... that's probably not true. The British bad TV is even worse. Their morning shows, for example, are about a dozen times worse (and ours are already pretty bad). Their soaps are kind of both better and worse at the same time (they're even more ridiculous, but almost so much so one might argue the excess is kind of glorious). Their shitty candid reality shows get pretty bad too--and their competitive reality shows maybe even worse (tons of bad ideas that have failed here, like Celebrity Ice Skating, started in the UK). The one fascinating thing is that they have tons of celebrity panel shows (basically game shows with celebrities), and we have very few of those.

Of course when British TV is good... it's very good. And that's what gets shown over here on PBS and what people know and love (and assume about ALL of their TV).

• Love 2

Shouldn't the Australian version be starting up soon? I found a couple of the families/groups on that almost as much fun as the American version. I never warmed to the UK cast.

Season 3 of Gogglebox AU starts in April.
  • Love 1

Thanks.  I had done a search and couldn't find it and then about a week or so later stumbled on the release date by accident.

I have to say that for anyone who watches The Real Housewives of Melbourne, you really should do yourself a favor and track down Gogglebox AU.  And for those that don't do the first?  You might want to track down both.   Even haters of the Housewives franchise might find it enjoyable simply because the reactions of these couchies made the show so much more interesting and funny. 

I normally don't tune in to the British version simply because I cannot stand the cloying tones of the announcer.  But this season is two shows in and there have been some great moments.  The chocolate recall this last episode in particular.  Yet another reason I would love to see a version of ours watch something other than the usual US fare.  Tons of humor in real life -- maybe have them watch a local Florida newscast.

The absence of June and Leon worried me last week, but saw they were back last night for just a tiny bit.  Another new family to the mix.  While I am finding I like the wider range of people over the US version, I think at this point they have enough!  I thought the two Cambridge guys were gone but then they were back on last week.  I could do without the one guy as he seems a rather smug know it all.  Plus he sits right up against the other guy.  I think he is just one of those space invaders.  I'm torn on Giles and Mary.  Giles is so annoying and would drive me crazy but he also is unintentionally funny that I would miss him.  I found his bigoted comment about tomgirls from his youth who wore pants and then got over "it" except for a few who became lesbians both outrageous and funny.  Mary's body language during his commentary is hysterical.

I think my shift to liking this a touch more than The People's Couch stems from the range of the couchies.  And even if they can sometimes clearly be "on" (because no one really can't help it a little knowing you are being filmed), they are regular people whereas the US seems mostly people who are more tied to being entertainers themselves in some way or at least in their past.   Also they tend to be more scornful of shows in terms of both concept and execution.  Leon's contempt for Bear Grylls, Greg Wallace and Ant & Dec warms my little heart.

What's really hilarious is glancing over at UK based boards and reading comments there about how nobody can understand the new Scottish family. Including TONS of people posting things like "I am Scottish and can't understand a word they're saying" or "can the rest of Scotland band together and demand subtitles for The Manuels?"

Leon's contempt for Bear Grylls, Greg Wallace and Ant & Dec warms my little heart.

{Applause for any dissing of Ant & Dec} 

I normally don't tune in to the British version simply because I cannot stand the cloying tones of the announcer.

The lady who normally does the VOs on the British version has been really sick and while I feel sorry for her, the result is that the announcing bits this series have been even worse.  

I'm also catching up on Gogglebox UK and am pretty much coming up with the same things as you guys - the narration bugs (I'm okay with narration in theory, but there are times when it works, like with their version of Big Brother, and times when it doesn't, like with their version of Survivor, and this is definitely in the latter; even ignoring the tone, they need to stop doing things like introducing male/female hosting pairs by mentioning the man's name and demoting the woman to "a tall lady in a shiny dress"); the casting is much more diverse and TPC's producers should take note (I mean I get it - Gogglebox UK airs on Channel 4 which prides itself on diversity; TPC airs on Bravo which has three-hundred-and-seventy-eight Real Housewives franchises - but Gogglebox AU manages a diverse cast when its network typically, Masterchef AU aside, goes out of its way to make its shows as white and stereotypical as possible); the selection of shows for the UK version switches between inspired and awful (no, thanks, I don't need a quarter of every episode devoted to them discussing news reports; I do find it hilarious that, much like TPC has never covered Project Runway Mothership, Gogglebox has never covered Big Brother UK despite it having started on Channel 4 and despite one of the couchies having appeared on the celebrity version) - but overall I think I enjoy it? But Gogglebox AU is definitely my favourite of the three though.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

the casting is much more diverse and TPC's producers should take note 

I've never felt People's Couch had any particular diversity problem. Two African-American Couches. Two Couches with LGBT members (four gay people in total). An Iranian Couch. Far more women in the cast than men. Is that really diversity challenged? The one big one they're missing for America's proper demographics is a Hispanic Couch. Asian might be nice too, but it's not like the show is lousy with just straight white men. 

I suppose the family with the father and his daughters were somewhat duplicative of that Family Bed family. I mean okay, they had Jewish families well covered between the two families. Maybe the producers thought so too, since the Bed family is gone from the show now. Ideally they should have replaced them with a Hispanic and/or Asian family--but instead it looks like they simply cut down the number of Couches by one instead.  But really the show isn't "bad" enough with diversity to be specifically called out for it. I mean given the amount of TV with zero gay or black or Persian people on it--instead of 11 people from the cast fitting into those categories that aren't straight white people (and that's using an interpretation of Jews as being standard white, otherwise it would be 15 people). 

Edited by Kromm

Diversity's probably the wrong word, but maybe more variety? I feel like the people who often give the best reactions on both Goggleboxen are the sort of people who would never even be considered as a potential TPC couchie.

I don't know if it's the casting or the editing, but when you've got a cast that skews towards stereotypical Bravo viewers, and a set of shows that conveniently seems to include a Real Housewives episode almost every week, it's hard to shake the feeling that TPC is a commercial for Bravo's Wonderful Programming, feat. A Couple of Other Shows, when that doesn't really exist for either of the Goggleboxen (notably, Gogglebox UK seems to actively avoid Channel 4 News).

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, SnideAsides said:

Diversity's probably the wrong word, but maybe more variety? I feel like the people who often give the best reactions on both Goggleboxen are the sort of people who would never even be considered as a potential TPC couchie.

I don't know if it's the casting or the editing, but when you've got a cast that skews towards stereotypical Bravo viewers, and a set of shows that conveniently seems to include a Real Housewives episode almost every week, it's hard to shake the feeling that TPC is a commercial for Bravo's Wonderful Programming, feat. A Couple of Other Shows, when that doesn't really exist for either of the Goggleboxen (notably, Gogglebox UK seems to actively avoid Channel 4 News).

True. The problem is that TPC seems to exist to serve Bravo's purposes. 

Clearly it's the footage they have the automatic rebroadcast rights to though. I suppose they have to go and get permission/clearance from most other places (excluding I suppose NBC, which still owns Bravo I think--then again very little buzzworthy TV happens on NBC, and even TPC seems to know that). 

They seem to have some kind of understanding with ABC, because I think we've seen more than a few Shonda Rhimes shows on TPC. But lets say they wanted to mock CBS' "Zoo"?  Do you think they'd get easy access/permission? I'd also think they'd want to do a lot of CW shows, but I don't seem to recall much (if any) of them on TPC.  Again, CBS ownership (in partnership with Time-Warner) and I could just see them not playing ball at all.

Consequently it turns into the Horrible Bravo Reality Show Report, whether they want it to be that or not.  And I guess they cast the Couches right in line with that. 

Maybe CBS et al sees it as a way to get publicity for underperformers on their schedule (thus why TAR seems to get about one episode a season covered) but doesn't think they need it otherwise? (Then again, Zoo.)

There are moments where the editing does feel a bit unnatural too, which doesn't help. Like they covered Eurovision a couple of weeks back, and I can get that they left the Justin Timberlake interval act out because it was basically already product placement for his latest terrible movie, but it seemed odd that they never commented on or included anything about the US commentators. And I don't buy that only one person thought Australia's presence was weird, given how most of the Australian couches themselves were confused, you know?

Anyone else see Gogglesprogs?  I didn't see the special they apparently had last Christmas, but the one that aired more recently was really delightful. At least SOME of those lines (about Donald Trump for example: "I think he's got a black heart.") we're likely fed to the kids, but even still it was cute.

• Love 1

A bit disappointed that Gogglebox ended before the Remain/Leave vote.  Though the sprogs version did hit it, I wanted to see the reactions of Rev. Kate and Leon/June.  Very very much.  I bet Kate was spitting and I hope Leon's heart held out!

The Sprogs version is holding steady though it hasn't quite captured the sheer wonder that was the Christmas special. 

All the turmoil in politics and Top Gear proves it is terrible time to simply keep this show on year round.  I was always a bit bummed that they did not have a special to watch the opening ceremonies for the London Olympics since I think at least Stephen and Chris might have had some nice snark about them (I can't be the only person in the entire world that found them a bit lacking -- and not even just as a follow up to Beijing).

I did like that the best bits show seemed to have not just a couple of longer moments from the initial segments but a few new ones as well.  I could watch the reactions to the dogs flying show a thousand times and not get weary. 

I can guarantee you were not. I'm usually a fan of the pageantry, but where Beijing's felt a little too calculated, London's somehow felt like they were trying too hard to be Capital-A Amazing while at the same time trying too hard to be Capital-R Relaxed. Like... I don't know how, but they managed to make the cauldron feel both ridiculously small (even knowing it was a deliberate downsize after Vancouver's malfunction and Beijing's guy flying through the air) and ridiculously overblown (the world unity metaphor was a bit much to start with but combining it with the gold-medallist guard of honour and the twee "inspiring the next generation of athletes" lighter selection and the pompous on-site chorus? No thanks).

All this is to say, of course, that the PTV Olympics forum is now open.

• Love 1

Odd as it may seem, posting this in a forum devoted to a show watching people watch television, on a site aimed towards focusing on the mainstay in many ways of pop culture, I think what Beijing had that London lacked was the pageantry.  I definitely can see the calculate part but there was also a fierce almost belligerent presentation of the huge epic scale that is Chinese history.   Britain has that history as well and instead it seemed more akin to the MTV movie awards.

On topic.  Another good show.  I really wish the five boys would be featured more.  There is something so hilarious about how typically rough and tumble they are and yet how immediately attached they get to shows like The Great British Bake Off and Sew Off.  Watching their reactions to the When Dogs Fly episode compared to the adults was interesting.  On one hand it was youthful idealism.  But on the other as many of the detracting kids came around it also proves my point that too many people, especially the younger ones, have a problem with still not being able to parse what is real, what is fake and what is manipulated.  There were, thank goodness a few that still raised an eyebrow.  But a couple that were scoffing clearly figured that what they saw was exactly the truth of the matter.  Rev Kate and Lee need to pair up and watch with some of these kids.  Maybe for some of the older kids Steph and Dom might like a go. 

I'm going to miss this.  And having it do a six episode run is also making me miss the adult version even more.  I know they are getting out of the way of the Olympics but I am scrambling to find fresh programming as an alternative for the run and this would have made a nice weekly entry in that regard. 

First discovered this show when people were saying the "Elizabeth at 90" special where the Queen and the Royal family were looking and commenting on their old home movies was like a "really posh Gogglebox" and I was like "What the hell is 'gogglebox'? So I've been looking up clips on YouTube and past episodes online. Also love the celebrity versions with Naomi Campbell and Kate Moss which was part of a "Stand Up To Cancer" special:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

In between wondering why we have almost gotten through all of September with no word of a new season of People's Couch; it was roughly this time last year the late fall season was announced after a couple of months of complete silence.  So still hope.

I've really liking the two new groups on the Australian show.  Especially the mother of the three generations of women group.  She has turned out to be hilarious.  I also think I know Australian television but really watching this I realize how, sorry Australian friends, barren the tv landscape is there. With the endless seasons of certain reality shows and how even the Bachelor can be more vapid and dull when done elsewhere (though makes for fun viewing via this show).   It is funny how in many ways this group is a lot more like the British shows groups in the refusal to buy into certain shows, yet when it comes to the Bachelor shows they really go all in for the most part.  It makes me want to see the UK show watch a bachelor type show now.

So the Aussie version is now on break which I find a bit disappointing.  I was enjoying their responses to the US election but even more the Great Australian Bake Off just started and so did their version of X-factor.  One show I love and the other I don't watch but enjoy seeing the couchies' respond to.

The UK version is back a few weeks now.  I am sad no Rev. Kate or Steph and Dom.  Though the two academics were just on for the first time this season so maybe they will pop up.  The new posh family I find insipid and the two elderly ladies just seem uncomfortable.  I guess the Scottish family that joined last season didn't work out.  But thank you casting director for the 'T' brothers: Tremaine, Twaine and Tristan.  I love their reactions and all are pretty nice on the eyes.  Especially Tristan and his smile.  I'm not sure without the addition of them, I could have sat through the Honey G bits without breaking my television.  I'm not sure if I am appalled or thankful so many of the couchies are so gullible and accepting about things like that and the new Hunted show (the hunted being filmed by a camera crew and so many couchies can't undertand why the hunters can't figure it out or the bear Grylls asininity -- it makes me slightly less chagrined at the audiences who swoon over all the true lasting eternal love on the likes of the Bachelor/ette etc).

It is amusing for me as well to see the Michaels mother and father react to Drumpf with their typical scornful "Americans" sneering.  Especially the pompous father with his mullet from hell and his own failed run on the UKIP ticket.  I actually was counting down him making some attempts at equivalency when they aired the bit on the UKIP fracas that went down at European Parliament.   And sure enough he delivered.  I'm also amazed at how dense and intolerant that mother can be on some many issues and then utter her simpering whine of outrage over the most inane things.  I wish they have kept Steph and Dom and tossed them.  I do hope Rev Kate and Graham are back soon.

I don''t mind that Sandy and Sandra aren't getting as much time.  But Sandy's face as a counterpoint to Sandra's comments is still hilarious.  And Mr Malone's face is worth its own show.  Especially when his sons try to dig a bit below the surface conversationally and end up in a hole over their heads.  Those boys are sweet and actually can be pretty witty at times, but they also tend to get their thoughts tied up before they can utter them with the clarity they are thinking them.

Leon and June both look good.  Better than the end of the last season.  I always breath a little sigh of relief when they come on the first time. 

The watching of Terminator II was a surprisingly bit of fun entertainment.  The reactions of June and Jenny both were funny and Baset and his brother debating the merits with their father who remained unconvinced was also good.  And once again Baset is working that whole dad-bod/weekend athlete look.  

At least this should get me through to the end of the year.  Next week is the stand up to Cancer episode so I'll have to make sure I have a fresh box of kleenexes handy.

Edited by tenativelyyours

The Irish version is really good. It's up on Youtube. 

I find I enjoy Gogglebox (AUS Especially) more than The People's Couch. The shows they have them watch are for the most part shows  HATE. (ALL Shonda Rimes shows are TRASH to me and they watch them ALL) Game of Thrones, Lucifer (ick), Walking Dead (SO not my show) I don't miss it and if it never comes back (sad to say) I won't miss it. This last season was garbage for me. I ended up fast forwarding through half the show because they kept covering shows I hate. (I HATE how to get away with murder. HORRIBLE show. Can't see how you folks watch that crap!)

Started watching Gogglebox UK out of curiosity and LOVED it (like you guys said I would) so watched AUS version and got hooked. What is it about the Gogglebox version that is so appealing while the People's Couch is annoying now? Is it the casting? Cause Bravo needs to do better.

The Irish version is a little odd for me at times.  Their programming seems so dated.  Plus there is overlap with the UK show.  Completely gutted seeing the stand up to cancer episode and then watching the Irish show watch.  The father who lost his wife and then his magnificent young son was heart-wrenching and didn't get easier the second time around. 

And thanks to both shows I had to not just fast forward through the initial airing of Planet Earth II with the snake and the lizard on the beach, but do it two more times. 

It is funny how quickly the couches adapt to being filmed.  The twins especially.  The first episode they came off as such two old men before their time just waiting for a chance to yell at someone to get out of their yard.  Especially the one on the right.  The scowls and tightly folded arms were hysterical but also a bit too stifling for couch members. 

I do like most of the others.  The single mother with the two cute sons (though the one needs to outgrow the douchebag hair look) are really funny and for me give some of the sharpest reactions to what they are watching and what they are saying to each other.  

I'm not really that familiar with RTE programming as a whole.  But some of it seems really extremely low budget.  The lottery show and the one talk show looked like they were still filming in someone's trailer they hung a curtain up as a backdrop.  

A result of a smaller nation I know.  Australian programming is really weird at times for me as well.  Though I also like the segments that have them discussing the bus strike and the proposal for taxi driver uniforms that here in the US would just not work.  So plenty of give and take.

On the UK I had to laugh again at how stupid the Michael parents are.  How they got such sensible (for the most part) and empathetic children is beyond me.  I wonder sometimes what the other two children (I think there are four kids total) who are almost never on, think of their pompous narrowminded father who makes Giles look progressive in compare half the time?  I figure they are older and have their own lives but I noted Louie was absent and wondered it was deliberate since he does not seem to truly see completely eye to eye with his father on social politics.  But considering what a blithering idiot Mr Michael often can be as well as someone who loves Nigel Farage, it was no surprise that he either could not figure the differences of a popular vote versus the electoral one or just decided to conveniently sweep it under the rug and write the results as confirming his warped view of the world.  And Mrs. Michael is just plain stupid most of the time. 

Giles and Mary still make me laugh and it scares me how entertaining I find Leon just taking his time getting seated and quietly helping himself to whatever snack he is probably been told by June not to have.   And I'm not sure which I enjoy more, Lee's looks when Jenny says something totally off kilter or his looks when she comes up with the right answer totally out of left field.  Overall the UK is my absolute favorite simply because I don't care what they watch in the end, I simply like watching them.  I'm still not that keen on most of the new additions though.  I don't dislike them.  I just don't think they add much.  Plus it means I get little or no of some long time favorites.  I do hope Rev Kate and Graham come back.  I need her strong progressive voice right now!  I miss Steph and Dom a lot too.  Because they managed to be stupidly conservative in a way that was still entertaining.  I wonder what their reaction to the US election would be.  I always found them a lot more palatable than Mr. Michael because they did not take the all or nothing approach when it was not needed.  They could find flaws in their own political leaders. 

While I'm sad it looks like there will be no return of the Peoples Couch, at least this year, but likely never, the addition of the Irish show now makes me a bit glad that the Aussie one is on break and I think won't be back until the first of the year.  I really would like for at least one of my international shows to stagger itself so I have pretty much all year round in some form.

• Love 2