Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Part 7

John and Marco get a lead in their investigation. Meg does her best to help Carlos. Kevin comes clean with Danny.

Please note that you should NOT discuss episodes that are numerically after the one in the thread you are in. Thanks!

Great episode! Ben Mendelsohn is killing it as Danny. A frightening display of vengeance. Can't wait to see where this goes.

I love the atmosphere of this show. It is appropriate to the world that surrounds these characters. I also love the way that it is filmed - the colorful, serene scenes at the Rayburn home contrasted against the darker, shabby parts of town. So evocative. Yes, it is a slow burn but it shouldn't be any other way. 

• Love 7

The tapes of the kids covering, wasn't Danny himself in on it? When the doctor asked him about his injury he said the token lie about the hit and run himself. Why is he so shocked the others repeat the same story when asked by the cops?

• Love 9

This is what really bothers me about Danny's anger towards his siblings.  At the least it is horribly misguided.  Danny presumably lied at the hospital because Robert I'm sure threatened him or told him to.  So for him to hold his siblings to some standard that he himself couldn't succumb to as the oldest.  I think Danny never got over the fact that no one stood up for him, even if he can intellectualize that his siblings were in the same position he was, he still can't seem to internalize it.

• Love 7

The tapes of the kids covering, wasn't Danny himself in on it? When the doctor asked him about his injury he said the token lie about the hit and run himself. Why is he so shocked the others repeat the same story when asked by the cops?

Good point.  Not to mention that they were only kids, not grown adults who could have really done something about the situation.  It seems to me Danny is taking out his anger and frustrations for his father on his siblings.  My sympathy for him is starting to fade a bit.  

I didn't enjoy this episode as much as previous ones.  It's nice that John's investigation is finally connecting to the rest of the show but my mind started to wander through most of those scenes.  

Danny going to see the "big guy" was a fine demonstration of how stubborn and reckless he can be.  

• Love 2
(edited)

The darker, shabby parts of town are beginning to grind me down.  ...

A couple of those things you mention occurred in the following episode.  

Edited by Guest

No biggie!  I was reading it last night after only getting through 7 and saw a few things, and thought, "Wow, I missed some stuff or wait... I must not have watched 7 yet!"  But then when I watched 8 I figured out you just confused them.  Easy to do.  

Sissy Spacek is a great actress, but her bangs have bothered me for decades. It's distracting to watch her with hair in her eyes.

Count me in on others who have observed that Danny's beating at the bar seemed to do him no harm except a little spot on the edge of his mouth. Couldn't the make up people give him some more cuts and bruises? I'm pretty sure he would be walking around with a limp or hunched over after that guy beat him severely!

• Love 3

Who is the man that played Mr. Bezler of Bezler Farms?  He doesn't seem to be credited with the role.

Count me in on others who have observed that Danny's beating at the bar seemed to do him no harm except a little spot on the edge of his mouth. Couldn't the make up people give him some more cuts and bruises? I'm pretty sure he would be walking around with a limp or hunched over after that guy beat him severely!

Would seem he would really feel that beating since he washed his pain pills down the sink.

Edited by whyjen8
  • Love 2

This is what really bothers me about Danny's anger towards his siblings.  At the least it is horribly misguided.  

He seems to have the most anger towards Kevin, though. Since John admitted what he did, and apologized, Danny seems to have made a peach of a sort with him. We (or at least I) haven't seen him display any anger towards Meg, or not yet anyway -- or have I missed something?

So I'm a bit slow on the uptake. Were Danny and Ray stashing those gas cans so those scumbags who are into the human trafficking can gas up their boats without drawing attention to themselves? And then the cops found it and took it?

This is what really bothers me about Danny's anger towards his siblings.  At the least it is horribly misguided.  

He seems to have the most anger towards Kevin, though. Since John admitted what he did, and apologized, Danny seems to have made a peach of a sort with him. We (or at least I) haven't seen him display any anger towards Meg, or not yet anyway -- or have I missed something?

So I'm a bit slow on the uptake. Were Danny and Ray stashing those gas cans so those scumbags who are into the human trafficking can gas up their boats without drawing attention to themselves? And then the cops found it and took it?

ETA: I take back what I said about Meg...the next episode reminded me that he snooped through her purse and found the hotel room card key, and then threatened her.

• Love 1

We (or at least I) haven't seen him display any anger towards Meg, or not yet anyway -- or have I missed something?

Meg would have only been 6 or 7 at the time, so if Danny is mad at her for not telling the truth when no else did he is really

warped.  I'm starting to see him as as somewhat psychopathic.  He can be very charming and manipulative one moment, and then just as full of rage as dear old Dad the next. 

• Love 2

It does seem off that Danny is taking it so hard when he hears his siblings' interviews. He of all people should know why there was a need to cover it up. They all told the same lie, himself included. But Det. Potts acted like this was something very significant, as well. He gave Danny the tape because he thought Danny deserved to know. Maybe Danny never realized the other kids were even questioned. The Rayburns appear to be a family that shoves their dirty laundry under the rug and doesn't ever talk about it. If that's the case, I can better understand his feeling of betrayal.

As far as being angrier at Kevin, perhaps. In the interview, Kevin seemed almost to relish describing how badly Danny was hurt, whereas John was almost monosyllabic, not saying anything extra, and pretty somber. I have to say, Kevin seems like a bit of a jerk. He didn't deserve that beating, though. It looks like his bid for the dockside property might be going south, since Eric stole a big wad of his cash.

Danny continues to unnerve me whenever he's onscreen. He even seems scary when he's putting on the facade of a nice, normal guy, because he slightly overdoes it. You just know there's an explosion inside, waiting to come out. The only time he seemed at his ease in this episode was when he busted in on the "Big Guy's" lair. He actually seemed OK talking tough to the gang members, and even to the boss. It is jarring to see Landry's straight-arrow dad from Friday Night Lights as a crime boss spouting expletives.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 2

Potts told John that Danny was asked about his injuries while his dad was in the room, and so of course Danny sees it as him having no choice but to lie. The other kids seem to have been questioned without a parent in the room, and so it's possible that kid Danny never understood why his siblings didn't tell the truth, not understanding why they'd be scared when dad wasn't in the room. They were all kids, including Danny, and so none of them responded to the situation in an adult way. That includes how Danny processed what happened- he was a kid who was with his sister when she died, and who got the shit beat out of him by his dad, and whose whole family lied to protect his abuser. Danny obviously hasn't moved on or matured much since the trauma, and so it's believable that he still holds a child's resentment toward his siblings. I think that at some point Danny should have started taking responsibility for his actions, gotten therapy to work through his trauma, but I understand how what he went through screwed him up.

More and more, this seems to be a story about how the shitty handling by adults of a childhood tragedy has a massive ripple effect on the lives of so many.

• Love 7

I totally understand why all the kids lied. They were children and not really able to comprehend everything that was going on and the ramifications for it. Consider that their sister died and then they watched their dad beat the ever-loving shit out of their brother. Perhaps they were terrified they'd be next or perhaps they knew that the world as they knew it would be wrecked beyond the loss of their sister -- losing their father too. And if Mom's going along with the program, chances are they're not going to buck the trend.

It also makes sense that the four remaining kids are slugging their way through life with the baggage left behind. Since the first episode, I've felt like everyone in this family painted a picture about their family that they strive to maintain. Aside from Danny, it seemed almost too perfect -- the parents especially seemed very concerned about appearances, what with the memorial pier or what the fuck ever was getting the family name. I really picked up on a We Must Keep Up Appearances vibe from mom and dad and everyone except for Danny looked to be playing the role. Given all that, you know that whatever happened to Sara and Danny was never going to be dealt with in a healthy manner for anyone.

Danny's family picture, however, is very dark, almost to the extreme. I was sympathetic to him until this episode. As much as I haven't cared for Kevin, he did not deserve that beatdown.

There's no one in this family who wouldn't benefit from some good therapy, that's for sure. I feel like by the time you're in your mid-20s it's time to stop blaming your family/parents/upbringing and start taking responsibility for your own choices. It seems like Danny never did that. For sure it sucks that his Dad still metaphorically kicked him around until his dying day, but he needs to get out of helpless victim mode (and yeah, despite Kevin's beating, I still believe that Danny views himself as a victim). At this point, John seems to be the one who's trying the hardest to be honest with himself and face the past.

• Love 4