Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Pulling The Trigger

A lot happened this episode. But a big logistical issue stood out for me. Who was supposed to accompany MJ to the extraction? You receive sedation when that is done and there is no way a facility would let you leave without a caregiver.

I am also reaching the end of my tolerance for the David storyline. It is just getting too dumb to be believed. Hopefully the writers have something up their sleeves, but given the seemingly random mix of dropped storylines I have seen with this show, I don't have high hopes.

• Love 1

A lot happened this episode. But a big logistical issue stood out for me. Who was supposed to accompany MJ to the extraction? You receive sedation when that is done and there is no way a facility would let you leave without a caregiver.

Did she go through with it? I just saw her sitting in her car, I'm assuming outside of the doctor's office, and she called David.  I thought she chickened out.

The show needs to do something with Lisa.  I'm glad that her suicide attempt was mentioned, but her whole breakdown is random.  We don't know anything about her, so whatever is happening seems tacked on.

• Love 2

Every time Lisa shows up, I have to try to remember her relevance. She's always just unnecessarily tacked on. David didn't even care about her.

I've forgotten too, she is so pathetic, girl get over yourself and move on, get some help or stop whining.

• Love 2

I continue to wonder who we're supposed to like on this show. It's perfectly okay if the answer is no one.  

Seriously MJ you can't stfu long enough for David to reach out to you. And to be clear YOU fucked up the original relationship. One of the things I hate in this show is the retcon of this relationship. David walked away because MJ was a liar and a mess; now we should rally behind her and distrust David after he already explained why he thought they weren't right together (liar, mess, a little crazy). 

WTF are the writers doing? So a spontaneous orgasm is possible when you're doing IVF but there wasn't a subtler, less gross, less misogynist way to show that to us. This positioning Gary Dourdan as this yoda-like character is just annoying. That character sucks at seduction; he comes off as creepy. Are the writers trying to demonstrate the complexity of MaryJane by having her deliver the truths about black women then devolve into this screechy, orgasming weirdo?

I want to support Brock-Akil but this is too much...

• Love 2

The good thing about this show is that a lot of important issues are raised and discussed.  The downside is that there is little character development.  We hardly know the back story of major characters on this show.  You all (previous posters) have already asked great questions about characters that have not yet been answered.  And I wonder if they will be ever be answered since we are well into Season 2 already.

That said, I didn't hate this episode.  I like that MJ and David's relationship is messy and is about to get messier it seems.  Kara revealing her insecurities about dating Latino men because Spanish isn't her first language was interesting as well.  And I liked that she let go and allowed herself to have a nice dinner with Gael.  The tension between MJ and Kara is also something that I want to see more of.  Their friendship is clearly affected by the fact that they work together, and we all know how those lines between friendship and a work relationship can be blurred.  I don't know what to make of Sheldon.  I appreciate that he tried to get MJ's brain first, but yeah, I agree with the previous post about him, he is borderline creepy.

There are better shows on TV right now, but I'll continue to watch.  I like the cast and will keep my fingers crossed that the writing becomes more consistent and the delivery of lines (specifically Gabrielle Union) becomes a bit less...stilted.

Did she go through with it? I just saw her sitting in her car, I'm assuming outside of the doctor's office, and she called David.  I thought she chickened out.

The show needs to do something with Lisa.  I'm glad that her suicide attempt was mentioned, but her whole breakdown is random.  We don't know anything about her, so whatever is happening seems tacked on.

I understand she didn't go through with it. But, it is implausible to believe that she is having a medical procedure like egg extraction at night and on top of that 23 minutes before the procedure is scheduled to take place she is in her car alone presumably outside of the clinic. They could have shown her cancel with whoever would have been accompanying her to the procedure in the time it took to include that terrible spontaneous orgasm scene. But, this is minor compared to all the continuity problems with this show. Now that I think about it, continuity is an ongoing problem with MBA shows so, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I really like this show, I like MJ's fashion sometimes). I feel like I should like Mary Jane, but I don't. Not sure if its because she is played by Gabrielle Union. who I know I don't like.

Now she is typecast.

I bet she gets the names of her characters confused, because they all seem to be the same person, just different occupations and names.

• Love 1

I love the show too.  I'm terribly addicted.  I can't even explain what I love so much about it.  I don't even love the characters either.  Like I like them in the sense that I enjoy watching them I guess.  It's like the show feels so much deeper than it is, or something.  Hard to explain.  Gives me a lot to think about, feels "real", feels "messy".  Mary Jane is not likable, not perfect at all.  I don't think she's meant to be.  She's very flawed.  Though it is kind of annoying how men are always falling for her I guess.  This episode was a bit much.   Though with a body like that maybe it is believable.  And her "fame"... 

• Love 1

What I most appreciate about this show is the depth and diversity of characters, especially the black ones. It's nice to see a show truly show the variety of incomes, education, experience, etc... in the black community. And MJ is growing on me, trifling aspects and all. Loved her comments about black women to CSI guy. We hear black men bemoan how hard it is to be a black man in America, as if we, as black women have it so easy.

• Love 4

We hear black men bemoan how hard it is to be a black man in America, as if we, as black women have it so easy.

Exactly I love this aspect of the show; that they give voice to things we need to talk about in the black community and not just in our groups of friends but as a COMMUNITY. We get these wonderful gems from MaryJane about some of the real thoughts, challenges and heartbreak of black women but delivered by this awful human being. I'm sorry I think she's awful. Someone who is screechy who has no good intentions except what's good for her and makes her look good.

If Mary Jane were awkward at execution but had a heart of gold I could accept how sideways she talks to people.

• Love 1

I really don't even notice the continuity, because for me it's a TV show and most TV shows have issues with continuity.  

WTF are the writers doing? So a spontaneous orgasm is possible when you're doing IVF but there wasn't a subtler, less gross, less misogynist way to show that to us.

I didn't think that was gross at all because as soon as she took off her panties, I knew what had happened.  That happens to many women when they ovulate, it's like WOOOOSHHH and it feels like you've peed on yourself...I know, too much disclosure but it's true.

The one thing I love so much about BMJ is that it is rooted in black culture, i.e. she's not the only black person around, she has black friends, she wears her scarf to bed, she's working through her identity at her job like many black professionals I know, etc. Unlike Scandal, where it doesn't appear that Olivia Pope even knows any other black people (RIP Harrison, lol), or is seen with any, or speaks to any on the regular, or has to wrap her hair at night, etc., this feels real in a different way. Every so often, you'll see Olivia remind the world that she hasn't forgotten she's black, but it is not the status quo at all. Don't get me wrong, I like Scandal, but that is clearly rooted in the "diverse" or "multicultural" universe and it shows. I like that BMJ explores Mary Jane's life in all its messiness and craziness and foolishness. Even if I occasionaly want to smack someone. lol

• Love 3

Mary Jane is not likable, not perfect at all.  I don't think she's meant to be.  She's very flawed.  Though it is kind of annoying how men are always falling for her I guess.  

Gabby has an attractive figure but her face is average, imo, so I'm skeptical when men are falling at her feet and enjoy her abrasiveness. She's either indignant-bitchy or stiff and unconvincing as a news anchor. Gabby doesn't have the news anchor cadence right. I can't help but think if a more dynamic actress were sprouting these lines I might be able to root for her and love her as a boss bitch rather than just a bitchy bitch.

Was she at the clinic, in her car, at the end?  I thought she was outside her house, called and invited someone to come over, then suddenly decided to drive over to David's.  (Which would be typical MJ behavior.)

So they've set up David to be the father of two simultaneous pregnancies?  Neicy's babydaddy was dismissed as irresponsible trash when he was in the exact same position, last season.  Hmm.

Ha, the famous man who has never granted an interview will not okay taping his hush-hush anonymous whistleblowing, any more than that pimp was going to accept a $10k personal check.  Clunk.  Hello?  Writers?  She's flawed; she's not a total idiot.

I liked what MJ said to Gary Dourdan's character about black women.  That was something that needed to be said.   Too often conversations about race are male oriented, and it's never mentioned how black women fare.  

• Love 5

Because I watch multiple episodes at once, it is hard for me to pinpoint what I liked about each episode.  Overall, I like that this show is rooted in black culture as well.  I appreciate MJ listing the suicides of successful black men because that is something that has left people in discussions asking questions.

I also like seeing Kara and Gael giving it another go.  I think it will be interesting to see her date and not just end on an "I don't date Latin men" note.  I actually thought his speaking to her in Spanish was cute.

Shaza is going to take some time to get used to but I do like seeing minor characters like him fleshing out the world that MJ lives.

Lisa is annoying.  I didn't realize MJ and her went back so far but she is just as much to take as MJ.  Maybe even more.  Her pity parties and episodes would be tiring.  We all have issues but she continues to involve others so deeply into hers.