Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Yer So Bad

Next week's the 100th episode - any chance they'll kill Jules off? She was unbearable this episode - and couldn't even keep her promise to Grayson for half a second. Another mention of running off with Ellie - maybe Grayson will dump her before this season's over.

• Love 2

They seem to have gotten over the hating each other stuff from earlier in the season, so that's good. I wouldn't call it a great episode, but it wasn't bad. Laughed out loud at a couple of times, and I think the tease was being very meta -- even they and the writers know they don't have much to talk about anymore. 

I do think it's interesting that the lead character of the series has been so inconsistent. She's shown as sometimes insightful, sometimes stupid. Sometimes she's alpha with Ellie; sometimes she's not. Jules has a history of being upset at people cheating, but given the reverence she has for her father, that over the top, insult spewing dinner party was too far. Even when she thought Travis had been messing around, she didn't lay out that invective on him. 

While I'm analyzing a very silly show, I don't mind Travis/Laurie, but wouldn't Laurie be upset that Travis hadn't proposed yet? He proposed to the cute girl whose name escapes me to stop her from leaving Florida -- he's a kid who makes rash impulses when it comes to love. Why wouldn't he have proposed to Laurie? They aren't ready to get married? THEY HAVE A KID!! I could see a not wanting to get married for all those not wanting to get married reasons, but not ready? They live together; THEY HAVE A BABY. Not being ready sounds as immature and stupid reason as they could have. Doesn't fit. 

And one last thing: One of these days Grayson (whom I don't like) has to have a consequence for Jules continually lying to him. She promised she wouldn't make a scene -- there wasn't any gray area to her agreeing, and then she goes ahead and fires. I like Jules Cobb -- I think she's been  fun character, but at some point there has to be a trade off. We even see Ellie be nice to Andy once in a while, but all we see from Jules is snarky innuendo and lies. Maybe that should be how it ends.

I could see a not wanting to get married for all those not wanting to get married reasons, but not ready? They live together; THEY HAVE A BABY. Not being ready sounds as immature and stupid reason as they could have. Doesn't fit.

Yeah, this bugs me. And maybe it's consistent with Laurie's flaky personality, but once you have a kid with someone, you should seriously have had the marriage talk by now. They live together and are raising their child together. What, exactly, are they not "ready" for? A marriage license? Something far less permanent than the child they have together which will bind them to one another for all of their lives. The whole thing made them look like a couple of immature idiots, as if we had to be reminded of that.

• Love 1

I could see a not wanting to get married for all those not wanting to get married reasons, but not ready? They live together; THEY HAVE A BABY. Not being ready sounds as immature and stupid reason as they could have. Doesn't fit.

Aw, crap. Now I've got yet another reason to dislike this episode. Travis was willing to marry Kirsten back in season 2 - and I'm not sure I can blame the change on him just being a dumb 19 year old at the time.

Have the writers forgotten about Chick's Alzheimer's?

While I'm analyzing a very silly show,

I'm doing the same thing - I can't just sit back and enjoy this show any more. The characters are way too inconsistent and without even trying I can pick out several dozen things wrong with the episode or things the writers have forgotten about or have re-written character histories.

This show used to be silly and wacky in a good way. They'd spy on Tom and end up with wine and spy - drinking and finding out dirt on the neighbours, or they'd spy on his girlfriend and end up locking her in a closet.

Trying to be positive - this was the first time in ages I actually liked Grayson and thought he was sensible and reasonable.

• Love 2

So, just last episode, Travis was a proud entrepreneur taking business away from wine stores without remorse.

The Laurie vs. cupcake girl cart seemed to be an inversion of that and taking the opposite side, having their cupcakes and eating them, so to speak. I realize that Laurie's are supposed to be so uniquely wonderful that some sort of "theft" was involved, but I'm not buying that, either. In reality, the cart business would be mostly impulse buying driven, while Laurie's business seems to be planned event driven, so I didn't really see the big deal here.

I did enjoy the Ellie/Andy/Tom stuff, including the beginning (though I would enjoy some good Amazonian frog facts). 

I know several couples who live together and have a kid but don't currently want to be married to one another for a variety of reasons. Yes, the kid will tie them together in certain ways but marriage is between the two of them and can have a certain "finality" for some people. I also don't think it's weird that Laurie would be upset that he hasn't proposed because he knew she wasn't ready for such a thing. Yes, he proposed when he was 19 on whim to try and keep a relatioship together but he also got his heart broken, so I can see how taking it slow with someone who is flighty and can have commitment issues because of her upbringing would make sense to him.

This episode still wasn't funny and the only time I see chemistry with the cast is in the behind the scenes photos and videos between commercial breaks.

Edited by biakbiak

It seems to me that Laurie doesn't even like Travis any more.  Her comments in the last few episodes, body language, exasperation, etc.  Grayson was awesome throughout the story.  His calm fixing of the problems was cute.  I liked Ellie, Andy and Tom's interactions at dinner were fun.  Probably most enjoyable episode of the season for me.

I was hoping that when Laurie went into her tirade about not marrying Travis that he would find his balls and self-respect and tell her they were done, that they would deal with the kid together, but that was it as far as their interaction with each other.

I thought the point of Laurie being upset at the cupcake cart was that she thought the woman was stealing her recipes.

Jules was hideous throughout.

I used to enjoy "hanging" with these characters. Now I find them all despicable.

• Love 2

I realize that Laurie's are supposed to be so uniquely wonderful that some sort of "theft" was involved, but I'm not buying that, either.

Especially considering that the cupcake they showed being eaten by the guy who had bought it from the cart girl looked exactly like a Hostess cupcake because of the white icing swirls on top. So Laurie's exclusive recipe is just a rip off of an existing cupcake but somehow she's mad that the cart girl is ripping HER off?

I also thought it was dumb that they bullied that poor guy and then said they would find the cart girl. Maybe if you had been polite to the guy who just wanted to eat his cupcake, he would have told you exactly where she had her cart!

• Love 2
I also thought it was dumb that they bullied that poor guy and then said they would find the cart girl.

I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to locate a woman pushing a cart loaded with cupcakes in the open air plaza that seems to be the main shopping drag.

I think we've reached that point in the show where the regular cast can be awful people, do awful things, and suffer no repercussions because they're the main cast.

If Jules's hideous behavior had sprung from her unresolved feelings about her father dating, as opposed to his "cheating," then her actions might have been understandable. As it was, she was just awful. Grayson should just leave her, take Andy with him, and the three of them set up house in Georgia with Bobby.

At least there are only two episodes left.

• Love 2
It seems to me that Laurie doesn't even like Travis any more.  Her comments in the last few episodes, body language, exasperation, etc.  Grayson was awesome throughout the story.  His calm fixing of the problems was cute.  I liked Ellie, Andy and Tom's interactions at dinner were fun.  Probably most enjoyable episode of the season for me.

In these last few episodes, the show should be about how our flawed and funny characters have matured and grown up. Some things should remain endearingly the same, but the more meaningful ones should indicate they are becoming fully evolved adults. But they are all as random and immature as ever, except perhaps for Grayson, who handled Jules deftly. I agree. Laurie is borderline indifferent to Travis now. I don't get them at all.

Edited by Ottis

Arguably the best ep of this season. Sadly, however, kind of like being the smartest kid on the short bus.

As noted above, I too shall hang in till the bitter end. I jumped on board during the first ep, when Jules was looking to seduce Grayson and there was a legitimate reason to call this show Cougar Town, and I'm not going to bail now. If that makes me a member of the cul de sac crew, then so be it.

Edited by Lone Wolf

While I'm analyzing a very silly show, I don't mind Travis/Laurie, but wouldn't Laurie be upset that Travis hadn't proposed yet? He proposed to the cute girl whose name escapes me to stop her from leaving Florida -- he's a kid who makes rash impulses when it comes to love. Why wouldn't he have proposed to Laurie? They aren't ready to get married? THEY HAVE A KID!! I could see a not wanting to get married for all those not wanting to get married reasons, but not ready? They live together; THEY HAVE A BABY. Not being ready sounds as immature and stupid reason as they could have. Doesn't fit. 

I can kind of buy that Laurie and Travis are not thinking about marriage, because it kind of fits with their personalities. But at the same time why is Jules not pushing them to it. Just looking at how involved she is in Travis's life how is she not constantly pushing for him to propose. You would think that even before Travis proposed, his mom would have his entire wedding planned out (if not his entire marriage). Then again it still shocks me as to how happy Jules was that her barely out of his teens son knocked up one of her friends. 

I am sort of with whiporee, it seems like the writers have run out of stuff to talk about.