Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E11: The Psychic In The Soup

The Jeffersonian team, with the help of Angela’s psychic friend, Avalon Harmonia (guest star Cyndi Lauper), is drawn into the twisted world of fortune tellers when the body of a local psychic is found decomposing in the trunk of a tree. However, when the team learns more about the victim’s personal life, those closest to her become suspects. Meanwhile, Booth and Brennan debate the pros and cons of Christine’s new imaginary friend and the team remembers Sweets on his birthday.

I really really hate Avalon. Every time she shows up it seems like everybody's IQ drops about 100 points and everybody starts treating her and her profession like it actually has some validity, when normally Bones is a show that very clearly focuses on showing the value of science and debunking and mocking pseudo science, not some half Sci-Fi half fantasy show where those things actually are real. Any episode Avalon shows up in turns the entire show into a painful farce and this was no exception.

She was completely useless to the episode anyway, all she did was make Daisy look like a complete idiot for not checking a car for stuff that Sweets might have left in it before trying to sell it.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 1

I burst out laughing at Cam's dress...at least I saw that the stupid thing was blue and black instead of white and gold (I know it's not the identical dress but it's the same colour combination).

And Dr Fuentes' drug smuggling was totally pointless/unnecessary.

Christine looked like she was older than three.

I can't stand Avalon.

I was sad at who the killer was - I actually liked her.

More than everyone buying Avalon's psychic abilities (I still like her because my love for Cyndi Lauper knows no bounds), the drug smuggling was even more stupid.  Yes, getting needed medications to Cuba may be a valiant effort, but don't run your smuggled drugs through your work address at a secure federal facility.  Get a goddamned PO Box or have them sent to your house at the very least!  If I were Bones & Cam, I'd have fired him for stupidity, more than smuggling.  It's not like he was having his Amazon packages delivered to work to hide the Santa presents from his kids. 

• Love 1

Truthfully I was on the phone for a considerable portion of this episode. No loss. But I did like that Sweets was Christine's "imaginary" friend. Tho' I still haven't forgiven the show runners for killing off Sweets rather than finding a way for him to be out of town. 'Course it might be the best thing for Daley given the downward trajectory of the show. I like the Avalon character - so what do I know

• Love 1

Well...the ending was kinda, sorta nice. And little Christine seems like a cutie! (How ironic that I read the little girl's real name is Sunni Pelant.) All I got.

So they hired a child actor named Sunnie Pelant to play Christine, who is now psychic?????

Oh, look over there, Christine, do you see that? It's a shark, a shark that jumps!

The casting and writer people must really want the show to be over.

I never minded Avalon until this episode--for all the reasons stated above by the handful of people still watching.

So they hired a child actor named Sunnie Pelant to play Christine, who is now psychic?????

Oh, look over there, Christine, do you see that? It's a shark, a shark that jumps!

The casting and writer people must really want the show to be over.

I never minded Avalon until this episode--for all the reasons stated above by the handful of people still watching.

No denying the show is eroding, but I think the little girl was hired due to having similar coloring a la ED. Her name is just a freaky deaky coincidence!  :-)  I admit she does at least look like she could be Booth and Brennan's kid as opposed to the very blonde twins who were in the role prior.

...she does at least look like she could be Booth and Brennan's kid...

I was thinking that until I learned her name. I'm sure they thought it would be fun to hire her for that reason. Or maybe someone involved in casting is into psychics and thought it was destiny. Hopefully she doesn't have a stage mother who changed her name to get the job.

Regardless, the bit about her wanting to hear a love story right before Avalon and Angela arrived with the book was all kinds of wrong for this show, IMO.

And I even rolled with the Christmas birth story.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Was it just me, or did Brennan seem to be absent for most of this episode?  She was in the very beginning at home and then at the lab while they started examining the remains.  Then, she was gone until she and the Cuban squintern talked about the skull fracture.  Then, she was in the last scene at home again.  I don't think she was in the bulk of the episode's middle at all.  Did she direct the episode or something? (which would explain why she wasn't in a lot of scenes.)

The new FBI guy, Aubrey, is really growing on me.  I like him.

Was it just me, or did Brennan seem to be absent for most of this episode?  She was in the very beginning at home and then at the lab while they started examining the remains.  Then, she was gone until she and the Cuban squintern talked about the skull fracture.  Then, she was in the last scene at home again.  I don't think she was in the bulk of the episode's middle at all.  Did she direct the episode or something? (which would explain why she wasn't in a lot of scenes.)

The new FBI guy, Aubrey, is really growing on me.  I like him.

Well, Emily Deschanel is pregnant again, so maybe that has something to do with it. (Her sister is also pregnant. Talk about a family baby boom.)

• Love 1

Bones doesn't generally add much to the actual cases these days. The interns do most of the work in the lab, and she hasn't gone in the field regularly since Sweets showed up. So her contribution typically boils down to, "silly intern, why didn't you see this totally obvious mark on the bone that you were just poring over?"

I forgot this show was still on.

I was shocked when I saw it on my DVR today.

Then I was like "Well, nothing can be as bad as the last episode they had."

Then I watched it.

Damn. That was pretty close to being as bad.

I *really* hope it ends after this season.

Then do a spinoff with Aubry at some FBI field office free of the Jeffersonian's grasp. He might be entertaining for a 2-3 season show. He'd be more competent than the FBI on The Following.

• Love 1

It was her "imaginary friend" that wanted them to read the love story. Clearly to have us wonder if Sweets was not the invisible friend.

Having Sweets be her imaginary friend seems plausible, but also could mean she has unresolved feelings of loss for him, which is way different than the typical imaginary friends of kids.

Regardless of that, having her ask to hear a love story right before Sweets' secret love story book was revealed seemed to me to be out-of-place for this show. Or was it just supposed to be a coincidence? Maybe they cut an earlier scene with Christine wanting to have a Cinderella type bedtime story that she refers to as "a love story." Without something like that, it seems like they just established Christine as having psychic abilities. But more likely it will never be mentioned again, right?

Edited by shapeshifter

Then do a spinoff with Aubry at some FBI field office free of the Jeffersonian's grasp. He might be entertaining for a 2-3 season show. He'd be more competent than the FBI on The Following.

You know, I wouldn't mind this in the least, it would help solve the only real issue I have with him. I would probably like Aubry if only his entire character didn't feel completely redundant, but as it is he simply does everything Booth would be doing and more competently if he wasn't around. In short, Aubry is basically Booth without a woman that's as oblivious to his affections as he is to his own around. Either get another psychiatrist character to fill the role Sweets did, find something else to do with Arbury, or drop Arbury entirely, he's not needed, but if he was kicked off to be the lead on a similar show it would fix that.

I don't think that Brennan has really had much a role in this show other than to look at bones once or twice and point out something her intern shouldn't have missed that turns out to be the key to the entire mystery. Mostly what she seems to do is banter back and forth with Booth and awkwardly try and socialize with everybody else or act rudely towards them obliviously. Ever since they got hitched Brennan seems to do not much of anything these days.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 1