Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: American Dream (Fort Myers, FL)

When a family with dreams of a better life moves from India to Florida, their lives are torn apart after the young mother abruptly disappears without a trace. In this episode, Kelly and Yolanda head to Fort Myers, Fla., to face the challenge of navigating through different languages and cultural traditions as they try to figure out what really happened to her.
  • Love 1

This was a great episode! I love this show and have always admired Kelly. I think I'm going to go through withdrawals until it returns on April 10th. Anyway, that husband was a total worthless piece of shit. I'm actually glad his pathetic ass gave the child to social services because of the child's disability because he was much better off with the adopted parent than he ever would have been with that creep! I teared up at the end when they were talking to the wife/mother's family. I was so glad to finally see an episode with an arrest since the last few episodes had DAs that weren't ready to go forward with cases.

• Love 3

I was so glad to see a female detective work with Kelly and Yolanda. I might have done a happy dance when she walked up to them at the police station. So glad they figured out the husband was the killer and their son was raised by a great adoptive mom.

Also, I was happy that Kelly made a point about the Fort Meyers police department and the Cold Justice team not sweeping this case under the rug because they were recent immigrants from India.

• Love 3

This was a great episode.  I mean, not that murder is great, but they got pretty good circumstantial evidence on the husband for a conviction.  And as shitty as it is to give up a kid because he has a disability, it actually seemed to turn out for the best.  I thought it was amazingly awesome that the child's adoptive parents met with the victim's cousin & her family.  It speaks to the adoptive family's good intentions and nature.  I hope they all keep in touch.

• Love 3

I really wish we could have seen the arrest. I'm also curious about the reason for him wearing a mask. Do you think this guy refused to have his face shown? Kind of ironic it was a 'surgical mask'.

Does Cold Justice ever do an update episode? I'd really like to see what happens with this case and especially the Bowman case.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes, there will be an update episode. There is a comment about it in the Media thread.

This is one case where it took seven years to make the case. It took that long for the jackass husband to slip up and make all those comments to numerous people. The best witnesses will be the wife of his long-time mentor and Mr. Justice. The wife was haunted by his admission long ago, and Mr. Justice heard the same admission just a few weeks ago, out of the blue. I do hope LE goes to those areas on the map and do a good search for her body too.

Her son was adorable and his adoptive family was wonderful.

I was so glad to see a female detective work with Kelly and Yolanda.

Cold Justice retweeted your comment/tweet too, Maraleia! That was nice.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 3
(edited)

I hope they all keep in touch.

Me too.  The one thought that I had about the cousin's family was "Gosh, they live so far away."  Devyn's adoptive mother does seem to be a good person, but I'm a bit sad that his maternal grandmother (who the cousin said cries about Rupinder) is in India and his biological mother's cousin is in Australia.  It would be nice if everyone was a bit closer geographically.  Rupinder seemed very devoted to Devyn, and I hope he really gets the chance to learn as much as he can about her.  That would be easier to do if everyone was a bit closer.  The one decent thing Devyn's father did was give him up.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1

This episode broke my heart.  I was so glad that no one wrote this lovely woman and mother off.  I agree with those upthread who were glad that Devyn had become part of such a loving family situation and that they were so open to maintaining contact with his mom's family.

I can't believe how much this show affects me and my family.  We've been somewhat upset lately because the team hasn't been able to convince the DAs to go ahead and make arrests.  It is completely understandable because these are real cases, sometimes really old cases. and not TV scripts that wrap the case up in 42 minutes, but it is sad.

I, too, was incredibly happy to see a woman as a head detective.  I loved it that the team just chugged along as usual without any botheration about a group of women being in charge.  I am old enough that this is new and remarkable.  Yay, women.

I especially note this year that Kelly and Yolanda are often verbally name-checking and specifically deferring to the local authorities.  I don't mean to imply that they were glory-hounds before, because they have never seemed to be about acclaim, but it may have been a bit of a problem that the show was overtaking the local police who sometimes have put years into keeping these cases alive.

I don't know how I'm going to fill my time between now and April 10.

• Love 2

While I'm usually fretful about cases with no bodies, this isn't one of those times. There is a ton of evidence, plus with his multiple statements against his interest, he better start looking to cut a deal. I just wonder why it took the Cold Justice team coming to town to get this indictment?

I just wonder why it took the Cold Justice team coming to town to get this indictment?

I have often thought that Kelly and Yolonda's prescence puts pressure on local authorities who were slacking in the past, and hesitant DAs because they know the case will be presented on television. Making them look bad if they don't do something. All it takes is one earnest and honest cop who believes a case shouldn't be forgotten getting those two interested to get the ball rolling.

The husband killed her, plain as day, I don't know why it took so long either. But, as has been said, they don't have a body and it's all circumstantial. But at least he's been arrested and will hopefully be put far, far away for the rest of his life. The man is beneath pond scum.

Initially he threw out the furniture and gave up custody, which is incriminating, but it was over the seven years that he repeatedly told people he had killed her. So the case only got stronger and I think with the great interviews that were done by the show's investigators, they have a much better chance of getting a successful prosecution.

• Love 1

It seems to me that the cases are not solely in the tiny towns with inadequate resources so much now, so the show is really getting attention on a wider scope.  I hope they continue to help the smaller towns, though, because those places just do not have the means to do some of this stuff.  I am so, so impressed with these women and so hooked on this show!

• Love 3