Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers & Speculation: Running Hot & Cold

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Lokiberry said:

ETA: Squidprincess, I've been hearing that CL didn't make the spoiler room comments. If that's true, then we're just left with the tension over command, and that could mean anything.

Oh, that's interesting.  I wonder why they would so clearly attribute it to her, then.  Do you have more information about it?

On tumblr, which is admittedly not the most reliable source. However, those quotes sound an awful lot like what she was saying at the beginning of the season, so it's possible they took a something she said a while back and included in the story. This kind of things happens  a lot.

Edited by Lokiberry
17 minutes ago, squidprincess said:

Oh, that's interesting.  I wonder why they would so clearly attribute it to her, then.  Do you have more information about it?

I went back on tumblr to check out who said it, and am now pretty sure they were talking  out of their ass. So disregard the whole thing. Sorry.

• Love 2

I totally agree that Rip didn't ask for any of this and would never have done it in his right mind. He was most certainly violated.

That said...the way the Legion did that was to flip a few switches in his brain, and it's his own natural intelligence and decision-making powers doing the rest. He wasn't "forced" to kill Sara or Dr. Midnite or to brainwash Arthur; he was "forced" to no longer listen to any kind of moral imperatives he might have held against such actions and this was what he chose to do with that lack of restraint.

So while I absolutely hold him as a victim, and I hope at least one person is able to grasp that and make the others see it, I really don't blame those others for first taking the stance that he needs to pay for what he did. Because, from their point of view, he looked like he was in control and knew what he was doing. Hell, I expect Rip to be the hardest on himself thinking that way. That's not something you'd get over easily.

All that said: I expect the whole purpose of "Land of the Lost" is for Sara and Jax to metaphorically experience what rip went through and how culpable he really is for the whole thing so they can vouch for him to the team afterwards. Mick's the one who suggests it, so it could be just pragmatic - "if his brain is broken, go in and fix it" - or he might be suggesting right from the onset that Rip is not in his right mind and they have to figure out what happened with him, based on his own experiences.

So really, the only "tension" I'm hoping for in "Moonshot" is that Rip and Sara feel extremely awkward because both of them feel they should give each other the ship even thought they both feel natural commanding it. It's just confusing waters they need to navigate through before they work out how it's all going to work.

• Love 2

I think the co-Captain solution is too simple. They are not a high school sports team. What if Sara and Rip come up with different plans, which one does the team listen too? Are they going to waste time arguing and figuring out which plan is better? They don't always have time for that, sometimes a decision needs to be made quickly. There needs to be a clear chain of command otherwise it would turn into a mess so having co-Captains would not work. That sounds like it would be a cheesy kid like solution in order to placate the fans of both Rip and Sara. And not a sensible solution. 

I also think jobs need to be given to each of the crew if they are going to continue working together. All space ship crews have positions that they do while on the ship. Jax being the Engineer has given him a purpose and helped him mature. The rest need that. Stein can be the Scientist/Medical Help (since he kind of put himself in that position). Gideon would be the main medic but if she's ever out of commission he becomes the medic. Ray can be Tech/Weapons Support, Amaya and Mick are the soldiers/security, they don't have a large crew so they have to work with what they have. Their job would be to protect the ship and team if bad guys board her. They can drop Nate back home because with Rip and Gideon he's not needed anymore. They don't need a pilot since Gideon does most of the work, they should all know how to "fly" the ship.

As for the the last 2, since it is Rip's ship he can be the Captain and Sara can be the Field Commander. (If we go by Navy ranks Commander is the rank under Captain.) Rip makes the decisions when they are on the ship, but once they get on the field Sara's the leader. They would both have to be willing to listen to each other. Rip knows about Time Travel and Sara should listen to that, but if something isn't working out in the field and Sara sees a different solution, Rip should listen to her. 

Then the chain of the command would go if Rip's gone, Sara's the Captain, if Sara's gone, Jax is the Captain, if Jax is gone, Mick can be in charge if they need to do something criminal and Amaya can be charge if they don't, if they are both gone then it's up to Ray or Stein and most likely the team would be screwed. :Lol: but we can hope with the whole team gone they'd both get their heads our of their asses and find away to save everyone without arguing about who has a more brilliant mind. 

• Love 2

Honestly, this group barely follows orders as it is.  Sara has a bit more control than Rip, but they still have a habit of going rogue.  I don't really think conflicting orders will be that much of a problem.

There are many situations in the real world where multiple bosses work fine.  It just requires communication and a mostly United front.  Other characters on this team might not be able to do that, but Rip and Sara generally have been able to in the past.

In this case, their talents are so compatible, that we will probably just have a straight line division of labor.  And whoever has the final call is the one whose expertise is most applicable to the mission.  ( i.e.  a ship to ship battle would be his, a ground fight, hers.  The general plan to address an aberration, probably his - with notes about what needs to stay intact for the timeline.  Rescue missions, and retrievals, hers.  And so on.)

It wouldn't work with all characters, but for Rip and Sara, it probably could. Assuming the writers want to go that direction.

• Love 4

I agree on the need for a clear chain of command: co-captains would feel a little messy, to me. I've never liked the idea of Rip being actively relegated - it feels like a short road from there to metaphorically tossing him out the airlock, and off the show - but I do believe the writing is on the wall on this one. They showed their hand with Jax's speech at the end of the last episode, imo. It felt very much like an aggressive softening-up of the audience for the new status quo.

I fully expect Rip to stand down in Sara's favor at the end of Moonshot. Possibly after a melodramatic, self-sacrificing speech about how much he hates himself, how the Waverider isn't just his ship anymore and belongs to them all, how Nate is the most awesomest historian ever and no Time Master could ever compare, etc etc.

2 hours ago, Tipper said:

I agree on the need for a clear chain of command: co-captains would feel a little messy, to me. I've never liked the idea of Rip being actively relegated - it feels like a short road from there to metaphorically tossing him out the airlock, and off the show - but I do believe the writing is on the wall on this one. They showed their hand with Jax's speech at the end of the last episode, imo. It felt very much like an aggressive softening-up of the audience for the new status quo.

I fully expect Rip to stand down in Sara's favor at the end of Moonshot. Possibly after a melodramatic, self-sacrificing speech about how much he hates himself, how the Waverider isn't just his ship anymore and belongs to them all, how Nate is the most awesomest historian ever and no Time Master could ever compare, etc etc.

God no, on the Nate fluffing; I'm half expecting them to ditch Ray because Nate's cheaper than BR and his super suit.

I'm leaning towards Rip handing command over to Sara because he no longer feels up to it, and I'm okay with that as long as it's clearly his decision and doesn't come about because of any kind of pressure from anyone else. 

• Love 1

I'm also afraid they might get of Rip. And Ray. And Mick. They've always said they would have a rotating cast. I can just see them thinking the "success" of Nate means they can just replace people with lesser known and cheaper actors.
""

• Love 1

I think Ray is safe. Routh and Lotz are the ones who get the most promotion and they are both going to the joint Arrowverse Paley event.

I love Sara/Lotz and she's my main reason for watching. I've loved Sara as Captain. But I've always been weary that it makes Rip irrelevant going forward and TPTB can now say the show functioned fine without him since it did for a good amount of episodes.

I could see the show getting rid of Mick but I think that'd only happen if Purcell wants to leave.

• Love 2

Nate's the irrelevant one. With Rip back his "expertise" is not needed. Rip knows more than him since to him the team is part of his history. I still think the only reason they'd get rid of Darvill is if he wants to leave. The Brits aren't used to signing multiple year contracts. 

I wonder if Thawne will be angry at Darhk for leaving Rip behind. They seem to have had a history being that they are both from the far into the future. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Nate's the irrelevant one. With Rip back his "expertise" is not needed. Rip knows more than him since to him the team is part of his history. I still think the only reason they'd get rid of Darvill is if he wants to leave. The Brits aren't used to signing multiple year contracts. 

I wonder if Thawne will be angry at Darhk for leaving Rip behind. They seem to have had a history being that they are both from the far into the future. 

I don't think Nate is so irrelevant.  He and Ray are best friends, after all, and their running schtick about all the ways that impulsive, emotional Ray drives straitlaced, logical Nate crazy give this show a lot of its humor.

Mick hasn't had a ton to do lately. It wouldn't seem too out of character if he disappeared at least for a while when villain Snart shows up with the Legion. Though I guess it depends on DP's plans. We haven't really heard anything that suggests Wentworth Miller really wants to return for a more permanent job, right? 

I think the problem is though that right now the Legends have no proper emotional mission. Saving Rip's family might not have been super engaging for the viewers, but it worked as a red thread. I have a hard time picturing that Amaya doesn't get her revenge target by the end of the season and Sara doesn't seem too invested in getting Laurel's killer. 

IMO they really need to recruit another villain. With Snart gone and Mick not having much to do and Sara being essentially over her "I'm a bad guy/I'm out for revenge" issues, the Legends sort of lost that edge that they also include villain or grey characters. So I think they need to find a person who is truly or fairly evil but who they need around for some plot point or another and who can antagonize the crew in interesting ways. 

One question, a while ago there was a promo, the one that showed Amaya and Nate in bed for the first time. That promo also had a shot of Mick standing in the rain (probably making some people think that Mick would walk in on Amaya and Nate and be angry because he had been growing closer to Amaya) => has that scene ever shown up in another context? 

• Love 1

I meant irrelevant with his job. With Rip back and Gideon what use is his expertise? I also find Nate more annoying then humorous. Plus during the George Washington episode I really got turned off by his not caring at all about the team, he just wanted more sexy times. Amaya had to remind they had a job to do. Then he also complains when he has to read or study history which is his purpose on the team. 

Ray at least is endearing with his geekiness because they show us he actually is a geek, while I barely seen anything about Nate showing me he's a historian. I see a frat boy that wants to party and have fun. I can't even imagine that the guy they are showing us had the attention span to become a historian. Mostly I just take issues with the heroes that are in it for the glory and the fame rather than to help people. I have the same issue with Wally on the Flash.  

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

I'm not much a fan of Nate, but I think his purpose is to bring idealism. To be the person who is enthusiastic and still vowed by all this. So far there are no spoilers that hint at him leaving, right? Other than the fact that last season they got rid of the Haws and Savage because they were unpopular. The thing is, is Nate really that unpopular in general, non-fannish media? Because if the coverage is just neutral, then the fact that actor is probably cheap and his characters special effects might be too might give the edge to him staying. 

So though I would prefer various other people to stay over him, this is not the only concern to the show runners. 

Have there been any concrete spoilers of anybody leaving rather than the generic "we see it as an ensemble show with rotating characters"? I kind of get the impression that they are struggling to come up with proper arcs and stuff for everybody to do anyway. 

I wonder if Stein is another one where it might sense to put him on the bench for a bit. He could maybe decide to stay in his daughter's universe for a while? Since Firestorm is another one where the special effects are expensive for them to do. But then again, if they get rid of all the people with the flashy powers, who is gonna draw in the comic book fans? Just another set of people with martial arts type powers is pretty uninteresting. 

I'm still confused on how exactly they will reverse Rip's rewriting just by climbing into his minds and fighting his inner demons. Or will they just plop him into the Gideon chair? I think they made a huge mistake into making Gideon be able to restore limbs and bring people back from the dead. It just removes too much of the danger. 

On 2/24/2017 at 6:41 AM, Lokiberry said:

The issue of who's in command needs to be resolved in a way that doesn't diminish either Rip or Sara. Both characters deserve to be treated with respect.

Agree. I think both were good leaders with different leadership styles and different missions. I do believe that there will be tension, but they need to resolve it with respect. I'm ok with either being the leader, but I don't want it to come at the expense of another character. To achieve this, I believe there will be a voluntary stepping down by one of them.

I think I'd be sorry to see any character leave.  Even Nate, I think, has potential.  Especially if he keeps the characterization that he had in this last episode.  

The truth is that on this show, we have a lot of redundant attributes.  Martin and Ray are both genius inventors with a lot of skill with advanced technology.   Mick and Firestorm both use fire heavily in combat.  Jax and Rip both have technical knowledge about how the ship works and can be repaired.  Sara and Amaya are both strong physical fighters.  Rip and Nate both have historical knowledge.  Nate and Ray have similar temperaments.  I think Rip's knowledge about the technical aspects of time travel is the only trait that can't be duplicated by the other characters somehow, and even then, that's only as relevant as the writers choose.  (I personally think an entire season of the team stumbling about history like a fun but chaotic bull in a china shop would get a little old, but YMMV.)

So really, the show/the crew probably doesn't need any of these characters specifically.  But it's the voices and personalities and the way they bounce off of each other that makes them interesting. 

That said, I do think Arthur Darvill is probably safe because, while the show did work without him in the short term, the fact is that as soon as they want to do any plot with time travel a bit more complex than just "the team goes to X and everything goes to hell in a handbasket", they'll need a character who can technobabble a reasonable sounding explanation.  :-)

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Proteus said:

I'm getting very bad feelings about whose going to be cut this year.

Yeah, somebody's going. Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but AD posted a picture on instagram last week of himself without the beard. Filming for the season had not ended.

1 minute ago, Lokiberry said:

Yeah, somebody's going. Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but AD posted a picture on instagram last week of himself without the beard. Filming for the season had not ended.

He posted that picture after some filming had ended on Friday. MRS (Vixen) and the LOD actors all finished filming Friday as well.

No, but some of the cast are redundant. Ray and Nate are, on the surface, very similar. There's no reason to have Nate's "knowledge" of history when you've got Rip.

He posted that picture after some filming had ended on Friday. MRS (Vixen) and the LOD actors all finished filming Friday as well.

Oh, thank goodness. But still, Ray, Rip or Mick are on the way out (IMHO),

Edited by Lokiberry

Honestly, if they're not cutting Nick Zano, then I don't think they're going to cut anyone.  If I recall correctly, MG was rather vague about any cast changes when asked about it most recently.  If anyone does leave, I'm sure it'll because they want out, like WM, not because they're being cut.  

Now watch me be proven wrong! Lol.  But that's what I believe right now.  

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Lokiberry said:

But still, Ray, Rip or Mick are on the way out (IMHO),

Why would they cut those characters? Rip I can maybe see an argument for if they want to keep Sara as captain.  But Mick is irreplaceable, and Nate can't replace Ray's scientific knowledge.

ETA: I'm sorry - I don't mean to come across as argumentative, and I think it sounded that way.  :(  I get people being worried about their favorite characters.   I just can't see any reason they would cut anyone, short of an actor wanting out.  Especially after this season has been so much better received than last season.  *shrug*  But mileage may vary.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Lokiberry said:

No, but some of the cast are redundant. Ray and Nate are, on the surface, very similar. There's no reason to have Nate's "knowledge" of history when you've got Rip.

Oh, thank goodness. But still, Ray, Rip or Mick are on the way out (IMHO),

Honestly, Rip is the one character, above any other, that I think is absolutely safe.  (Barring Darvill being unhappy.)

I mean, if they wanted to write him out, they had an opening at the beginning of the season.  Instead, they bent over backward to accommodate his shooting schedule, made sure that Rip as a character was mentioned in almost every episode that he was gone (contrast that with Snart, who has only come up during Mick's story arc), and delayed the metaplot until he returned.

He's also had probably the single heaviest focus in the four episodes since he's returned.  (Ray, arguably, had more in Camelot.  But he had comparatively small roles in Raiders, Legion, and Turncoat...pun unintended.)  And the kind of focus he's been given is a true actor's showcase.  We've seen the interviews.  They felt like they wasted Darvill's comedic talents, so they gave us Phil for two episodes.  Then he gets two more episodes to play a scary villain.  Next episode, we're getting a mindscape. 

I've certainly been wrong before, but I don't think a show would be showcasing an actor to this extent if they're intending to write him out.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Maybe they won't cut anyone this season. I'll be surprised if they don't though. I just feel that if Rip isn't leader he surveys little purpose so he'd be an easy person to cut since everyone loves Sara as leader.

Land Of Lost photos. They are really pushing Nate and Amaya:

http://dclegendstv.com/2017/02/27/legends-of-tomorrow-photos-land-of-the-lost/nggallery/image/lgn213b_0211b/

I doubt they'll remove him from the leadership entirely, because of his role as the only person who knows what's going on the metaplot.

But even if they did.  Rip is the ACTUAL Time Traveler.  He's the one with the education and experience.  The Legends survived without him, sure, but in the process they killed historical figures too early, got manipulated by bad guys and so on.  And really, they've just been lucky they haven't had to go up against a John Valor or similar Time Pirate.  Sara's a good Captain, but I really doubt her combat flight skills when it comes to the Waverider itself.  Jax also hasn't had to deal with any sort of Star Trek/Space Opera "we might all die" technical disaster either.

At some point, the show is going to want to do more complex aberrations, which would likely require Rip's specialized knowledge.  They may want to bring in Time Pirates,  remnant Time Masters, the Thanagarians, and so on.  Rip will always be useful for that kind of thing, regardless of who's actually leading the team.

And let's be honest, for two out of two seasons, Rip's carried the bulk of the story metaplot.  It was his quest against Savage in season one.  Now it's his role as the man who found/broke the Spear of Destiny in season two.  The man has at least a decade, if not more, of prior Time Master experience to exploit for years of future metaplot.

Rip's been DC's Time Travel dude for fifty-seven years.  This is a Time Travel show.  They will always find a way to use him.

ETA: thanks for the screen shots.  I'm a little perplexed by Amaya and Nate's continued poor choice of location when it comes to this kind of thing, but the rest have made me enthusiastic.  :-)

Edited by squidprincess
  • Love 1

This show, complex. Hahahahaha 

I highly doubt they'd go anymore complex then they are now. They've shown over and over again they don't care about "real" history. They use historical figures for fun not to tell a complex story. Thats why the all the guest stars on this show are barely above subpar on acting ablity. They dont care about them. 

1 hour ago, Proteus said:

Candidly, I wouldn't mind if he lost the beard permanently.  I am not a fan.

1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

This show, complex. Hahahahaha 

I highly doubt they'd go anymore complex then they are now. They've shown over and over again they don't care about "real" history. They use historical figures for fun not to tell a complex story. Thats why the all the guest stars on this show are barely above subpar on acting ablity. They dont care about them. 

That's not what I mean.  This is a comic book show, primarily, and in season one, they'd proven willing to do things like use causal loops to interesting effect.  Heck, there was an entire episode where the team kidnapped themselves as babies.  Or Rip's fairly dark story about his repeated attempts to save his family

And if you look at a lot of the source comics?  That's the tip of the iceberg when it comes to stupid time travel possibilities.  This show doesn't even try for the level of plausibility of Moffat's Doctor Who when it comes to nonsensical time travel shenanigans, so there are a lot of possibilities.  It basically just amounts to whatever the writers think would be cool this week.

But they're going to need a character who can spill out some kind of vaguely plausible sounding explanation at some point.  And given that Darvill's had a lot of practice selling this crap, AND everything sounds a little more believable in a British accent, I don't think they'll ever run out of uses for him, even if doesn't reclaim his Captaincy.

Edited by squidprincess
  • Love 4

I wonder what happened to Nick Zano that he ended up in the ER. Poor guy. Still doesn't make me like Nate more though. There's just something about the character...

As for the leadership thing: Rip had special training to be a time master and has a lot more experience as a Captain. He knows more about the ship and time travel than Sara. That said, he still led them on one hell of a clusterfuck ride last season. I think Sara has done a slightly better job of gaining the team's loyalty and respect. Unfortunately, I do know there are some segments of the fandom who can't stomach a female as captain. I was on another group discussion and I saw people complaining about how overbearing and bossy Sara is and it just reminded me of the double standards-- if it had been a male character they would have said "assertive" and "in-charge" or "strong".  I'm hoping the writers will ignore that faction of the fandom.

I do agree that of all the females in the Flarrowverse, Sara gets the best treatment and most respect. I do think it helps that Caity is awesome.

I'm really not looking forward to seeing Laurel again. I mean, I know her acting improved over the years, but I still can't help but be wary because she was just so awful for the first few seasons. She really was not the right person for the role.

Speaking of acting, I think that out of the good guys on the LoT team, that Nick is the weakest link-- but he's not anywhere near as bad as Katie Cassidy was earlier on or as bad as Danielle Panabaker was the first two seasons of The Flash. And he has more personality and range than Hawkman. Still better than most of the cast on Supergirl (there are 3 or 4 people over there who are pretty terrible). But, being the weakest link on the show is still not good. I don't know how much of it is the directing and how much of it is his style. It could just be that I just don't like his character's personality.

• Love 2

Time Masters were taught to work alone. Rip was never taught to lead a team. Thats the part he was bad at. His team barely respected him or trusted him for most of time as captain. Rip knows about time travel, but Sara seems to be a natural leader. 

1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

Candidly, I wouldn't mind if he lost the beard permanently.  I am not a fan.

Heh, before the beard, I  always thought he had a sweet, dorky boy next door face; but with it, he got some sex appeal.

1 hour ago, squidprincess said:

And given that Darvill's had a lot of practice selling this crap, AND everything sounds a little more believable in a British accent, I don't think they'll ever run out of uses for him, even if doesn't reclaim his Captaincy.

Yes, everything sounds plausible in British.

• Love 1

From episode thread:

5 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Nooooo they cannot get rid of my darling Ray!!!!!!

I am neutral to Nate but he's like a poor Rayish wannabe with a lot less heart!!!!!

@dkb agree with you Brandon is charming and funny (not to mention incredibly handsome as well!) in this role. He's my absolute favourite legend and my second favourite Flarrowverse character. 

I don't want to make light of anyone's concerns (and I apologize if it seemed that I was doing that earlier), but for me personally, I'm not going to get worried about Brandon Routh being cut from the show as long as they're still pushing him (along with Caity Lotz) up front and center at all the press events, such as the upcoming Paley Fest.  I mean, I know that's not a guarantee, but I think if they were seriously thinking about replacing him with Nick Zano, they'd have sent Nick, not Brandon. *shrug*  Just my thoughts.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

From episode thread:

I don't want to make light of anyone's concerns (and I apologize if it seemed that I was doing that earlier), but for me personally, I'm not going to get worried about Brandon Routh being cut from the show as long as they're still pushing him (along with Caity Lotz) up front and center at all the press events, such as the upcoming Paley Fest.  I mean, I know that's not a guarantee, but I think if they were seriously thinking about replacing him with Nick Zano, they'd have sent Nick, not Brandon. *shrug*  Just my thoughts.

No need to apologize @Starfish35, I didn't think your comments came off that way. 

Trying to get some of your confidence for myself concerning Ray/Brandon. What your saying makes absolute sense, but I don't really follow the show outside this forum so can't really judge how the actors are used in promotions etc. I did see the EW cover to promote the crossover, was happy to see Brandon in those.

Other than Nick Zano, in the above Instagram post, have others said anything about returning next season? Maisie?

Edited by dkb
46 minutes ago, dkb said:

No need to apologize @Starfish35, I didn't think your comments came off that way. 

Trying to get some of your confidence for myself concerning Ray/Brandon. What your saying makes absolute sense, but I don't really follow the show outside this forum so can't really judge how the actors are used in promotions etc. I did see the EW cover to promote the crossover, was happy to see Brandon in those.

Other than Nick Zano, in the above Instagram post, have others said anything about returning next season? Maisie?

Purcell posted this and made reference to the four month hiatus:

Edited by Proteus
  • Love 3

MRS called this her last shot of season 2. Not last shot altogether though I'm sure she wouldn't say that even if it was:

Nick Zano is the only one I think whose said flat out that he's staying.

Edited by Proteus
  • Love 2

Sorry for posting again but I noticed that BR mentioned going on hiatus in this post so I think it's safe to say he's coming back. I remember when the show was renewed CL, BR, MRS, and NZ all posted about being excited about season 3. I think they were the only cast members who did. I really want to believe that AD is staying. I just have a bad feeling:

• Love 2

No need to apologize - thanks for the pics!

I'm not 100% confident that AD is staying.  I just think that if he does leave, it will be because he wants to, not because the writers are pushing him out.

I hope he does stay though.  

• Love 4