Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

WARNING: ranting and profanity...

Grrr. My daughter's laptop died the death; I spent many many many hours on it before getting to a message about "disk errors", then getting back to the round-robin of update errors it was getting before. So we bought her a new laptop (needed for homework etc.). And then ONE DAY AFTER WE BUY IT, it gets into a different update loop where it just freezes on an error about how it couldn't complete the updates so it was rolling back. Bahahaha! Oh, no, it turns out that fifty kazillion people who PURCHASED BRAND NEW COMPUTERS had the same DAMNED problem. And you have to fiddle around until you learn that getting into safe mode is no longer hitting F8 while the computer reboots, but is now F9--and I'm like, Jeez Louise, Microsoft, why the fuck did you go and change that?!? And now I've spent another FOUR HOURS on this shit and it looks like I'll need to spend another four hours, because I'm installing the bloody updates one at a time to avoid the DAMNED computer going into LaLa Land again.

All I can say is the DAMNED family better be damned glad they've got a fucking person who spent years in second tier computer support at home, because otherwise they'd be up shit creek.

And I want to go bomb Microsoft or something.

Grumble groan bitch moan complain complain complain.

• Love 3

Dang, I like word for writing over Macs...why do they have to go and make it so complicated.  Thanks for the warning but I would be out of luck cause I wouldn't have a clue what to do.  Totally get your frustration.

Another tech rant incoming

OMG fuck off Cox internet. Everyday between like 4pm and 10pm PT for over a week now, it slows to a crawl.  I have to use my phone to get a speedtest and I'm getting 5mbps to 10 and I'm paying for 25 + and it's never been like this. I spent 2 hours on the phone with them last week to no avail.

ARGGHHHH!!!!

I did 2nd level software support for YEARS and I know when smoke is being blown up my ass. I've checked the twitterz and book of faces and it's a widespread problem but frakkin' Cox won't just say 'We are having issues".  They make us test, reset blah blah for no damn reason.

I just want to be able to fulfill my SPN addiction and it's impeding me, you asses!!

!

/head desk head desk head desk

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

The joys of semi-rural living: we are on 3MBPS DSL, no cable available where our house is.

Catrox14! You did 2nd tier support, too? I did it at a university, and got to help people all over campus with really weird stuff. The best was helping an anthro prof fix (his one and only copy of) his latest COMPLETE professional book, which he had put into ONE WORD FILE and then tried to generate a table of contents for...and Word crapped out, taking his book with it. But mostly I did database stuff. And then I somehow got stuck programming the back end interfaces for the uni's accounting program, which was deadly boring, ugh. Stuck because I was the only person in the departments who knew how the damned thing worked, sigh.

• Love 1

Omegamom,

Mine was more on the software customer support side vs internal help desk.  But yeah it was 2nd tier...well actually I was top tier because after me it was the programmers if we couldn't fix it.  I ended up being the liaison between our customers that wanted to write links to our software from their software because none of the programmers or project managers would do it. And I trained our customers and was essentially retention without the spiff.  I pretty much did 3 jobs.  

I know enough programming and hardware stuff to be dangerous LOL.

I'm good at it, but man, I'm not sure I really want to do it again either. But it's time to really start looking for regular work again

• Love 1

I worked with lots of folks like you when I ported campus supplies' inventory management from our accounting system to the facilities management tracking database, and then, a few years later, when we ported it back into the *new* accounting system. (Advantage 3 -> TMS -> PeopleSoft) (All related to internal politics of which uni department got "control" of campus supplies. Lordy, the politicking!) Always nice to have someone on the software side willing to work with us on hairy projects!! Consider this a hug and a smooch from the other side!

• Love 1

Holy crap.  PeopleSoft! That brings back memories.

Well, consider yourself hugged back! LOL . I actually enjoyed the work. Helping people and saving customers. But ugh yes the politicking! THE WORST.

Random thought. I'm watching Arrow tonight and it just occurred to me I started watching Arrow before I watched Supernatural and Arrow is why I watched SPN because it came on after it when Arrow first started. Now I'm a total SPN fanatic and I have Arrow to thank for it.

• Love 2

Another tech rant incoming

OMG fuck off Cox internet.

I hate cox, I switched to att uverse

Ooh, tech rants... okay mine now...

I don't know about Cox internet, but damn I actually miss Cox cable so much. It may have been somewhat "no frills," but I got the basic cable channels for a reasonable price, and all I did was plug the cable into the television; the cable card our old HD TV had gave us HD. Ever since Comcast took them over, we've had numerous "equipment changes" (with another coming up). Even the non-HD televisions require this little box to "descramble" the cable signal - which surprise, surprise used to be free but now cost $3 each - and a special box to get HD... and a special "service." You not only have to pay to rent the box, but apparently in addition you have to pay for the HD "signal" that goes to the box. When our "trial period" is over this will cost about an extra $20, and would cost $20 per television if we had more than one HD TV. So with all of this crap, in about 7 or 8 years my cable bill has gone from about $38 to almost $100 a month. And all I get is what they call "Digital Starter"... no premium channels involved. Sure I get a few more channels than I did with Cox cable, but I don't watch most of them anyway. And the equipment problems happen often enough to be annoying...

Our HD cable box crapped out about 4 months ago - and it wasn't even that old - so we had to go exchange it for a new one which wouldn't be that bad, but Comcast also decided that they were going to take away the equipment aspect of our cable office here - so we could go pay bills (why when we can mail them?) - but have to travel to the next closest office any time we want to exchange equipment... which happens to be a 45 minute trip one way on a good day (if there's traffic, add more). So what comes now... they want us to "upgrade" our equipment even though our box is working just fine - and when enough people do, they'll switch over the signal so the old equipment won't work. They offer to send you the box through the mail - tried that kind of thing before, but not all of the stuff was there - and then you can send them the old box (great, I have to trust that it'll make it back to the office) or we'll have to trek another 1 and half hours round trip to pick up this new equipment. And of course there's no no change in price... we can get the new equipment "free" : yeah I've heard that before - when we got the "free" descrambler boxes that now cost $3 each just to descramble the cable signal that I'm already paying for (and with my mom's 2 TVs and our 3 - even small TVs need this "descrambler" - this added up fast). I can't imagine what's going to happen when our trial period is over. I could end up paying over $100 just for friggin "basic" cable. (the two tier basic cable costs pretty much the same as their "digital starter," so we get the digital starter almost by default, and the bottom tier is pretty much just local channels plus a dozen religious and home shopping channels.)

Sadly there is almost no competition here, and even though we live up on a hill, it's also an old wooded neighborhood with a "forest" of 60 foot trees in back of the house and front, so satellite/dish TV is something we shouldn't even consider... our next door neighbors tried it and lasted all of one week.

Our internet and phone is with AT&T - and good gravy do we get gouged on that, too. When we call up to find out how to make the bill smaller, it goes down for a while, but ends up going right back up eventually later. And a landline costs so damn much here - all we want is caller ID, but we have to pay for this whole "bundle" of crap we don't want to get... it's just so damn frustrating. Sure things are a little much advanced, but it costs waaaaay more than it's worth.

*takes a breath* I'm just so damn tired of it all.

If it makes you feel any better, Cox is starting to pull those shenanigans with cable. The internet has been pretty fast and reliable for like 5 years now, but this last week or so is bad.

Like I can tolerate the internet issues if they would just freaking admit that they are having issue instead of trying to push it back on the users equipment. Doesn't breed trust for me.

I would almost cut the cable as long as I have reliable internet.  But yeah Comcast SUCKS. I had to deal with them in Denver when I was taking care of my mom.

When we found out we were moving, I spent a good 6 months comparison shopping.  Due to the region of the country, I knew we would have to use Cox internet, but we had our pick of cable/satellite providers.  Well, sort of.  No Verizon FIOS, no AT&T U-verse, no Time Warner cable (which we had in Hawaii and loved -- our price was the same every month for more than 3 years; it's weird when I hear people complain about their bills going up).  Anyway....

Cut to the move and finding a house.  Turned out, on one side of the river, you have to use Cox; on the other, you have to use Charter.  Since we're on the "rural" side of the river, we got Charter and have been fairly happy with the internet.  Tired of them constantly harassing us to get the cable package to go with it, but the fine print worries me.  $80 the first year for the bundle, then $120 for the second year, then "standard rates apply" after that.  The hell is "standard rates"?  They could charge us anything!

Sadly there is almost no competition here, and even though we live up on a hill, it's also an old wooded neighborhood with a "forest" of 60 foot trees in back of the house and front, so satellite/dish TV is something we shouldn't even consider... our next door neighbors tried it and lasted all of one week.

Oh, yeah.  In England, we had a Sky satellite dish.  It was great, except from April to October.  We had a huge tree in the backyard that blocked the signal once the leaves grew in.  But the tree was a protected species, so we couldn't touch it.  It was beautiful, but anyway....  For 6 months, we'd have a signal, 6 months we wouldn't.  But it was cheaper to pay for the 6 months with no signal than to turn it off and turn it back on because they wouldn't leave the dish.  So every 6 months, we would have to pay an install/uninstall fee.  Not gonna happen.

And it was our only option for television because we lived in the "countryside".  This was 15 years ago, so it was long before online streaming.

When I was stationed in England, I had a Sky dish. In Saturday's my husband would go outside and manually steer the dish to pick up the Armed Forces broadcast of College football. I'd be inside shouting instructions to get the picture just right.

Now I get my British TV via vpn tunnel. Cause I got hooked on Sherlock and Merlin and waiting was unacceptable.

DSL is supposed to be great. Well, it's great if you live in an area where there are enough people to warrant them upgrading the speed etc. So we're in the 3-7MBPS area. It's okay, but I was spoiled for the prior 10 years, Alaska and Arizona, where we had cable.

The thing I really hate is that during monsoon season, if we get the *tiniest* little itty bit of thunder, the DSL goes out, which is weird because we've got the box on a surge protector. So then it reboots and cycles through, and we have Internet again. If we get a good storm rocking and rolling, we just have to wait until it goes away, because the box keeps going down. Sigh.

WARNING: ranting and profanity...

Grrr. My daughter's laptop died the death; I spent many many many hours on it before getting to a message about "disk errors", then getting back to the round-robin of update errors it was getting before. So we bought her a new laptop (needed for homework etc.). And then ONE DAY AFTER WE BUY IT, it gets into a different update loop where it just freezes on an error about how it couldn't complete the updates so it was rolling back. Bahahaha! Oh, no, it turns out that fifty kazillion people who PURCHASED BRAND NEW COMPUTERS had the same DAMNED problem. And you have to fiddle around until you learn that getting into safe mode is no longer hitting F8 while the computer reboots, but is now F9--and I'm like, Jeez Louise, Microsoft, why the fuck did you go and change that?!? And now I've spent another FOUR HOURS on this shit and it looks like I'll need to spend another four hours, because I'm installing the bloody updates one at a time to avoid the DAMNED computer going into LaLa Land again.

All I can say is the DAMNED family better be damned glad they've got a fucking person who spent years in second tier computer support at home, because otherwise they'd be up shit creek.

And I want to go bomb Microsoft or something.

Grumble groan bitch moan complain complain complain.

I'm exhausted! Short story-canning. But bombing Micrsoft? I'm right with ya sister!

Mick's an explosive expert. Just sayin'.

It's a racket, when your in an area that has less competition, well it sounds like it just sucks.  Right now I have cable but yes the cost keeps going up.  Right now I can afford it, but when I retire  it may have to go when I have to cut cost.  But it sounds like I just have the cost to complain about verses some of your issues...so feeling a bit blessed about that...for now.  :)

Okay what I really wonder about...and those that are more tech savvy maybe can help me with.  I'm using windows 7...I like it.  Well Microsoft is giving a free windows 10 to download.  If I don't download it, I will have to pay for it after this free trail period is over.  My fear is that I download it and I find I hate it.  Not every new one has been better.  I stayed on XP for way longer than they wanted because I didn't like what I was hearing about the latest version.

I won't be downloading anything until I have everything important backed up on 2 different ways...but should I really do it? Download Windows 10?  I'm not a smart phone user.  I don't have a tablet.  I like my old programs...

why do they have to make it so difficult just so they can make more money?  Part of me just thinks I should avoid for as long as I can.  :)

Edited by 7kstar

Okay, everything you all said above soars over me head! Luck for us, Mick's bass player Hayward is a total computer geek! He's saved my life countless of times.

I do think we should all pitch in though, and get catrox a Supernatural based T-shirt that say's "Helping people and saving customers"

She deserves it.

• Love 3

7kstar, I would wait as long as you can. Or, I believe you can request that they send you a CD.

But, once you've "reserved" it, after a certain point, it just automagically downloads and installs. If you've got a handy dandy computer expert near you, you might want to hire said expert to set it up so it doesn't do the auto-updating. As I found out, it's a PITA to turn off, but it *can* be done. (Yay! I got it all fixed and anti-virus set up with auto-scan and auto-update, and my daughter is a happy camper now! And my hubby just got a dumbfounded, shell-shocked look when I asked wasn't he glad he had me around to do this kind of stuff... :-D )

On campus, we always waited at least a year after a new version of Windows came out to migrate people's computers. Let other people find all the bugs and deal with updates and service packs.

Windows 10 does some not-so-nice things in terms of sending info off to MS, unless you turn off all sorts of defaults, too--having found your computer expert, when you do upgrade, have him/her reset those defaults.

Edited by Omegamom

7kstar, DON'T DO IT!  Seriously. 

Wait at least 6 months for the 1st service pack update. Also Windows 10 has been a real problem for people going from 7 to 10. 8 to 10 love it. I'm still on Vista and was waiting for 10 but I'm waiting for the service pack. And it's got some bizarre privacy issues that are being worked out. So my advice is wait if you don't have to upgrade.

Also, MickLady. That's hilarious.  As long as Baby and TFW are on it.....That's funny! 

If you "reserved" it when the offer came out, it installed a separate updater called Gwx, which sidesteps auto-updates entirely. As I discovered. I had to install oodles up updates to get her computer all up to date, and even though I had the "optional" upgrade to Win10 unchecked, it still kept trying to download and install it. It can be stopped, but you have to futz with the registry, a bunch of keys under HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE. I'll look it up again; all the research I did was on dotter's computer, so I don't have the urls handy.

Edited by Omegamom

Thanks Omegamom. Registry crap FTW ! It's amazing how much can be saved and ruined by a registry key. 

I hated how many installer programs don't uninstall the proper keys and it derps the new installs or reinstalls. Ugh Registry clean up is the worst!

• Love 1

Thanks Omegamom. Registry crap FTW ! It's amazing how much can be saved and ruined by a registry key. 

I hated how many installer programs don't uninstall the proper keys and it derps the new installs or reinstalls. Ugh Registry clean up is the worst!

*Watches helplessly as all that goes flying over her head* What's a registry and are you supposed to clean it up?

Crap...so I reserved it so it will download anyway?  I don't have an expert.  They do this deliberately don't they to mess with us poor folks that don't know much about computers...Argh.

I should know that anything for free is bad.  I just didn't know that once I put it in motion there isn't a stop button.  This is a pain.

Awesom04000 all I know about the registry is that if you mess it up it will destroy your computer.

• Love 1

I love my Mac.  

As you were, because I'm not one of those people.  ;-)

*Raspberry*  Meanie...  Actually I have a mac laptop, but I don't like the writing programs for it because you can't get rid of the white screen like I can on windows.  I've been told I'm dyslexic and I really don't know if I am, but the green color I use helps for some reason.  Plus I deal with migraines so too much white on a computer is a problem for me.  So I'm stuck with Windows because Mac sucks in this one area.  I get your kidding.  :)

Eh, they're all just machines made by men. I use them both and find them all to be useful and annoying to the same degree just for different reasons. 

That's my feeling both have issues...I've never been this one is the best.  I just find since I like to write, windows is the one I like over mac.  I've adjusted to windows 7 but I was happy with my XP.  But if people don't upgrade, they can't make more money.  I got suckered by the word free...shame on me.  :)

7kstar, try not to feel too bad. You weren't alone. MS always offers a free upgrade on first releases that have tons of problems. That's why I'm waiting. My biggest issue with MS knows what they are doing. I'm convinced they use the first roll out as the true beta test but don't say so.  Then when the service packs are released all the pain the first "adopters" suffered through helps the ones that wait.

Awesome, the registry is essentially a database that stores the configuration settings for all the software that runs on a Windows systems.  It has the settings for desktop, program settings, configurations, file extensions, etc. When you install a program there is at least one component written to the registry and that setting is a registry key. 

Registry cleanup is something to be done with caution but sometimes if it's not cleaned up it leaves behind settings that bork other things especially on installs and uninstalls but that is typically more a function of the software being written in that the programmer doesn't write a graceful uninstall that takes everything with it.

For example, I've had an ongoing issue with the sound tray icon going missing sporadically. There is a fix that if I go into the registry, I can delete the old icon setting and it creates a new one. Usually it's because another program uses the sound.exe in Windows but then doesn't release it when I close out the program. And Windows doesn't always handle that as gracefully as it should so it causes Windows Explorer to crash.

I use CCleaner which has a registry cleanup function that is reliable and I backup the registry in case something goes wrong. I use it about once a week.

Alas, the problem I had a couple of weeks ago where I lost an entire folder of my computer training techie notes etc also had my backed up registries.  I am not a happy camper.

TL;DR : In essence, If you delete the wrong key the Darkness will fall over your computer :(. But it's not the Darkness' fault, it's because someone took out the key. Gods, I'm using SPN to explain the registry and it kind of works! LOL I am obsessed.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3

I downloaded Windows 10 but I haven't upgraded.  Is there a way to get rid of 10 before it takes over?  My only other option is to do a full reinstall of 7 and start over and hope that I can keep 10 from coming in.  Can I sue Microsoft for mental angst?  :)  If I only had a brain...

7kstar, I did some noodling around on the MS forum and found this. Maybe that will help. It's a huge problem and honestly, I'm guessing hundreds of users are having the same issues as you.  I'm sorry for your troubles. I'm going to go through my updates and make sure I don't have one out their. 

Actually, I'm grateful I'm still on Vista because this doesn't even apply to my machine. I can't get the free upgrade either way.  Man, I'm even more convinced that I'm not touching 10 with a 10 foot pole.  I'm actually now thinking about trying Linux or keep plugging away on my Vista.  I better make sure my stuff is backed up.  I feel terrible for you guys :(.

If this doesn't help keep reading the forum. I found another link that is froma

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-do-i-prevent-windows-10-from-installing/96e76921-cbea-4e7c-be97-8f7eeee73685?rtAction=1440594142742

http://betanews.com/2015/07/27/how-to-stop-windows-10-installing-automatic-updates/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-quietly-rewrites-its-activation-rules-for-windows-10/

Omegamom said she has some additional info when she has some time to get it.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Thanks @Catrox14  I might just have gotten rid of it.  Luckily I hadn't done more than download and it was waiting for me to schedule when to change to 10.

I uninstalled one update, did a disk cleanup of temp files and my virus scan completed which it wasn't doing.  It was freezing and not doing anything once it got to a folder.  The tray for windows 10 is gone. 

I don't see how I can decide what updates to get on Microsoft Security Essentials.  So I guess the next question is what virus, spyware is easy to use, doesn't cost a fortune and works pretty well.  Oh and easy to use for a non geek. 

I use to use Norton, but I really got mad at the lousy way it worked and their customer service sucked.  I don't know if it's improved.  I did use AVG free but got some spyware as it didn't stop it.  

Edited by 7kstar
  • Love 1

I've used free antivirus for years now which is not Microsoft Security Essentials. I used AVG at one point but it was a system hog and now I use Avast which is the one I'm mad at but up until now it's been reliable and not a particular memory hog. I've heard good things about Kaspersky. I wouldn't go with Norton or McAfee myself but that's just me. 

Others may have other ideas on antivirus.

Not sure where to put this question, but IMDB indicates that Caroll Spinney (known as Big Bird) was an uncredited guest in Season 10's "Inside Man".  This is nonsense, right?  Somehow, IMDB has linked the words "man" and "inside" to Spinney because he's the "man inside" the Big Bird costume, right?  Or is this some brilliant meta that I completely missed?

Maybe he was on screen on a TV or something. Like showing Big Bird on the TV in the background.  Well now I'm going to rewatch that just to look for him.  For science :).  I'll let you know my results in the "Cast in Other Roles" thread

I wonder if it was something that got cut--someone watching an old clip of Sesame Street or something like that? I don't recall Big Bird being in the episode, but I tend to not be so observant the last couple years with regards to this show.

7kstar, DON'T DO IT!  Seriously. 

Wait at least 6 months for the 1st service pack update. Also Windows 10 has been a real problem for people going from 7 to 10. 8 to 10 love it. I'm still on Vista and was waiting for 10 but I'm waiting for the service pack. And it's got some bizarre privacy issues that are being worked out. So my advice is wait if you don't have to upgrade.

Also, MickLady. That's hilarious.  As long as Baby and TFW are on it.....That's funny! 

Okay, I'm committed to this T-shirt thing! (What's TFW?) I just need some design ideas, and I have a guy that makes all the shirts for the local clubs. Trust me, he's done stranger things!

Then I'll get size, style and color from catrox.  Nice to have something to do besides canning all these damn vegetables and fruit! All day today, again!

Edited by Mick Lady

I wonder if it was something that got cut--someone watching an old clip of Sesame Street or something like that? I don't recall Big Bird being in the episode, but I tend to not be so observant the last couple years with regards to this show.

I watched it again, didn't see Big Bird anywhere. 

Thanks Dot! I am never planting a 20'x30' garden again! Now Mick's going nuts pickling stuff and making salsa. My kitchen will never be the same again!

AwesomO4000, I should have known! That was a head slapper! I think if it doesn't relate to canning at this point my brain is frozen. Now the fuckin' fruit trees are ripening!

Now I'm heading out to get more jars...

My solution is - Freeze everything!

Peppers and tomatoes (*sniff* damn squirrels - no tomatoes for me this year) - can go right in the freezer whole if I want or just diced or sliced if I'm adventurous. And the good thing about keeping them whole is even if I've got a bag of them, I can just pull out the few I want and leave the rest in the freezer. The cucuzzi squash gets lightly steamed, the broccoli just a little more so. Now the eggplant takes a little work, because what I do with eggplant would likely make most people cry - but really it tastes so good in my opinion - but still it's going in the freezer this year, too after "processing" (It's been a while since I've had a bumper eggplant crop. Usually I use it as I go.) Beans and peas would be the same, but I didn't really get many of those this year. The okra, I'm still learning on, and I didn't snip them, so I won't likely get many. (Aww, too bad *sarcasm*). Winter squash, if I had any, would just get put on the shelf - especially butternut, which can sit on a shelf for months and be just fine (actually it often tastes better after it sits a while). Even much of my fruit, I freeze. Blackberries get a bit of sugar, then in the freezer they go and blueberries the same. Peaches and apples get baked then frozen. I just make sure to lay the bags flat as they freeze, or if I'm using plastic containers, that they are stackable (hubby eats this lunch meat now that comes in these rectangular, sealable, reuseable plastic containers that are great for freezing portions of vegetables. I just save them and stack them up filled with veggies.  I have frozen veggies for a couple of years before using them and had them still be tasty - fruit too.

We have an extra freezer anyway for hubby's game meat * so I just get a shelf in there for my veggies.

* (Hubby's assured me he's going to get more deer this year and find a good processor. The one last year ripped us off. We should've gotten way more meat from those two deer he got - one a large buck - and had enough to last us for months.)

Now the fuckin' fruit trees are ripening!

Now I'm heading out to get more jars...

*Is jealous* In our area, home fruit trees are usually a heartbreaker.* Last year was the first year my apple tree finally produced a lovely crop of apples. I got one apple, and it was delicious. The squirrels ate or ruined all the rest before they even had a chance to get ripe. It wouldn't be so infuriating, but they usually take an apple, eat a few bites, throw it on the ground, and take another until they've eventually eaten the entire crop. I think that one apple was spared only because it was way out on a thinner branch which likely made it inconvenient for the squirrels to get to. This year my apple tree got a disease or something, so that's likely the end for it - so no more apples for me. Friends' and acquaintances' peach and pear tree crops often meet similar squirrel fates, or if not the squirrels, then the deer get them. Most people in our area don't even generally bother trying to grow their own fruit any more unless it's to feed the wildlife. It's not usually worth it. I have 4 or 5 blueberry bushes, but those are mostly for the birds. I usually go to a U-Pick it place to get the ones I eat myself. Blackberries we go out in the woods to get.

* It's definitely not like when we lived in Indiana where I could walk down the street and there would be apple trees with fruit on the right of ways or in the parking lots - you could just ask the store and they'd say "sure. Take all you want." (they would just fall in the parking lot and rot anyway). I don't know why anyone would buy apples in season in Indiana. They were everywhere, and in multiple varieties, though golden delicious seemed to be the most common. In spring/early summer it was blackberries and black raspberries - I would find them all over the place. I'd just ask the apartment complex if I could pick them and they'd say "sure. Take all you want."

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1

Mick Lady ... I'm so freaking jealous I can't stand it.  Seriously, that big of a garden AND fruit trees.  *sigh*   Really, if you happen to have a picture of your beautiful fall bounty (in jars or fresh) please share!

• Love 2

Oh Shit! That last one is killing me Demented Daisy! (Have I mentioned lately how well your screen name fits you? Because someone should!)

SueB, I'm not set up to post pictures (luddite here, and proud!), but Hayward is,(He posted Micks pic for me earlier) and when he comes over this weekend I'll have him post a few for you. The sun does look rather nice on my preserves!