Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

I taped most of the episodes of Crossing Jordan on VHS off of the reruns on A&E. Only the first season can be found on DVD, mostly due to problems with music rights (like Supernatural, Crossing Jordan often had excellent use of music). Steve Valentine's Nigel was one of my favorite television characters ever.

Oh, man... Life. I really liked that show, too. I loved all the screencaps of Charlie (Damian Lewis, for those unfamiliar with the show) eating fruit the fans used to make, generally with the caption "nom nom nom" - a "nom nom nom" meem* so to speak. Hee. I lamented that show being canceled so early - not as badly as Terriers, but...

I do remember some great music in Life, too, but I'll always be grateful to CJ for introducing me to John Hiatt, and especially "30 years of Tears."

* I'm not sure they were quite known as meems then, though.

Edited by AwesomO4000

Judging by my time stamp on my last post, I'm With The Band was probably on at 3 or 4 in the morning. I like to think that Steve Valentine making it on to Supernatural, is a little like Nigel finally being vindicated for some of his theories. Although, I think his were more about aliens. I haven't seen Crossing Jordan since it went off the air. 

I watched a Disney Channel movie once because I saw his name in the credits. It had something to do with King Arthur and a high school girl.

Plus, I think he was the only patient on House who had Lupus. 

I LOVED TERRIERS. That cancellation hurt. At least with LIFE we got some kind of ending. 

Terriers also has a special place because they filmed it in and around my neck of the woods and I could play the "HEY I've been there game".

Random comment:

So I had to come to the Dallas/Fort Worth area for business this week.  Yes AFTER the boys had left.  *sigh* 

I haven't been here for years and last night I must have heard about 4 or 5 trains passing by.  I forgot what that is like.  I grew up with that sound.  Makes me nostalgic for the Great Plains.

• Love 2

I like to think that Steve Valentine making it on to Supernatural, is a little like Nigel finally being vindicated for some of his theories. Although, I think his were more about aliens. I haven't seen Crossing Jordan since it went off the air.

I know he had one about vampires once, so in SPN-verse, he would've been right.

Plus, I think he was the only patient on House who had Lupus.

Hee. He once played a magician boyfriend of Nina Van Horn in Just Shoot Me. "I'm not gay. I'm British!"

AwesomO4000, sorry I didn't ask sooner, but how are the workshops going? Are you the worlds foremost authority on spiders yet?

catrox, Terriers was one of our favorites! Now I'm pissed all over again.

Hee. He once played a magician boyfriend of Nina Van Horn in Just Shoot Me. "I'm not gay. I'm British!"

I'm not sure why, but this show really grabbed me. I loved it! I remember that episode!

• Love 1

AwesomO4000, sorry I didn't ask sooner, but how are the workshops going? Are you the worlds foremost authority on spiders yet?

The workshops went well - more insects this time than spiders, but I think everybody learned something and they seem to like my new format (groups of two get their own microscope and sample set instead of having to move around the room from scope to scope.) This Thursday is the last, but I only have to print up the certificates for it (gotta go do that now actually), because it's about termites - hubby's area of expertise, not mine. But also this Thursday class starts. Class = 10 week course, 6-9 on Thursdays. Guest lectures only at first, but I make dinner for the students, since they often come straight from work. It's a course for pest control professionals.

As for being an expert on spiders - I wish. I know enough to get me by or be dangerous (or both), but moreso I know a bunch of people who specialize in stuff, so I know who to contact when I need a specific ID. I have a spider guy in my contacts for tough ones I can't get. And a bug (Hemiptera) guy (actually 2), an aphid lady, a snail guy, a weevil guy, a caterpillar guy, etc. plus a general taxonomy dude who tackles anything the others don't.

If I've learned anything, it's that knowing your limitations can be a strength, and I don't try to fake it when there are plenty of people who know what I don't and generally love to help. The trick is getting to know those people - even if only by phone - and build those relationships. I help them out too when I can, even if it's only to pass on a contact they may not know or give them a photo I've taken that they need.

Generally, I just love my job and the freedom they give me to do what I do in my own strange way.

I'm not sure why, but this show really grabbed me. I loved it! I remember that episode!

I really liked it too. All those interesting characters who somehow interacted and made an interesting show. David Spade's character was perfect for him, in my opinion. Phil Hartman's too. I loved Nina. And I even loved the weirdo guy who loved owls... oh yeah, Kevin! (That guy is funny on late night talk shows).

We have piñon nuts for the first time in the four years we've lived here. They're everywhere. Hubby's coworkers told him today that I needed to be spending all my spare time collecting them.

Those are pine nuts, right? If so those are delicious... and also not at all cheap. You're so lucky. If you can find a way to preserve them, I think you'll be popular with your friends and family.

• Love 1

Thanks, I really needed the laugh.  I dealt with an attempted assault today.  Luckily for me I moved out of the way before the student hit me with the door.  Needless to say I've been upset and angry. 

Student thought it was funny until the police officer turned on him and said your lucky you didn't hit her.  She could press charges.  I never even got I'm sorry.  Some kids...I won't finish that thought, but sometimes it is really hard to want to continue teaching.  :(

Sue B, the sad part probably not.  Since I didn't get hurt it won't be seen as a big deal.  The family most likely has lots of issues and will play "But he didn't mean it" card or "my boy wouldn't do that."

I will admit I lost my cool and told him if I had been hurt I would press charges.  I would skip the school and go straight to a real police report.  You're lucky I'm not hurt.  They argued with me that the police officer would take their side.  I think they were surprised when he didn't. 

I'm trying to believe that I went through this to help them realize that their actions aren't games and that they need to become responsible even if their parents don't demo that or they ignore their parents.    I think if I started writing right now, Dean would be punching their lights out and I would be cheering on the side.  Bad teacher.

So I'm trying to find the humor and let it go.  I guess I should go hunting Dean pics to distract me.  Tomorrow is a new day.  The lucky part for me, they weren't my students.  They were out of control in another class, so that teacher got a break today.  At least the weekend is near.  :)

Aw, 7kstar! That sucks!

The family most likely has lots of issues and will play "But he didn't mean it" card or "my boy wouldn't do that."

Actually, it's "He was just turning his life around!

No, I shouldn't make fun of this, so I take that back. Assault on teachers is becoming all to common these days, and that's unacceptable. I congratulate you for hanging in there. I hope your students appreciate that.

If I've learned anything, it's that knowing your limitations can be a strength, and I don't try to fake it when there are plenty of people who know what I don't and generally love to help.

That right there, is true wisdom. My respect for you just grows.

Generally, I just love my job and the freedom they give me to do what I do in my own strange way.

"Strange ways?" Understatement of the year!

So, you them dinner? Not, ah, chocolate covered ants or anything, right? Right?!

Demented, you consistently live up to your name!

7k, I totally get the residual 'yuk that clings after an incident. Look at the faces of those you ARE reaching. As a teacher, you make such a difference in their lives.

I hope the day is kind to you and I'm sending you internet hugs and prayers (if that's okay with you).

Edited by SueB
  • Love 1

7k, I totally get the residual 'yuk that clings after an incident. Look at the faces of those you ARE reaching. As a teacher, you make such a difference in their lives.

I hope the day is kind to you and I'm sending you internet hugs and prayers (if that's okay with you).

Thanks for the internet hugs and well wishes.  I need the weekend.  Luckily I have students that I enjoy teaching and I'm thankful that my classes are pretty decent.  Still working on letting go but basically had a better day today.  I'm trying to see the yuck I dealt with today and yesterday as a wake-up call for how nice my students are.   I can't reach all kids.  

Guess mini rant...Tired of how teachers are supposed to give their all for no pay.  Even the worst Teacher works hard. It's time we respect those that teach...many would not survive it.  Hard to believe I've done middle school over 20 years.  Sometimes I still feel like I'm five!

Plus dealing with emotions is difficult to manage day and day out.  I need to try to vent in stories or plays.  Draw or something.  I did go swimming today to get rid of the energy that was going nowhere.

Thanks for the prayers and well wishes.  At least I could vent here without worrying about losing my job because the wrong person saw my post.    The Dean's hug really made my day!  Luckily tomorrow is another day and I'm sleeping late in the morning... :)

• Love 3

Guess mini rant...Tired of how teachers are supposed to give their all for no pay.  Even the worst Teacher works hard. It's time we respect those that teach...many would not survive it.  Hard to believe I've done middle school over 20 years.  Sometimes I still feel like I'm five!

This is so true.  My daughter's former college roommate (who had a full ride to William and Mary) was selected for the Teachers for America program.  She struggled through her first year (in an impoverished Appalachian area), after gearing up to start her second year she just couldn't go on.  This is a very bright young woman who grew up with little money.  She's used to hardship and making do.  

To me, the only reason Teacher's keep teaching is because they feel that calling to serve and have had success.  Their financial compensation is a crime and a national embarrassment.  No one is in it for the long term for the money.  It's a mission.  

I bet, 7k, you were glad to see J2 recall teacher's who encouraged them (by name) at DallasCon.  I hope their teachers were watching.  

• Love 2

The joy of seeing a student figure out they have a talent they never knew they possessed, seeing a student going from making bad decisions to good choices is a reward that is priceless.

But I will admit I'm tired.  I've fought for a long time, the grind, the lack of support from administrators and other issues is taking a toll. I need more time to prepare, lower class loads. 

@Sue B This is so true.  My daughter's former college roommate (who had a full ride to William and Mary) was selected for the Teachers for America program.  She struggled through her first year (in an impoverished Appalachian area), after gearing up to start her second year she just couldn't go on.  This is a very bright young woman who grew up with little money.  She's used to hardship and making do.

The expectation of what they do to young teachers  is criminal.  This is a really difficult job due to way too many factors to mention.  Many are quick to judge instead of support.  Not everything, I've learned the hard way, works with each class or group of students. If they don't make changes, they won't have teachers.  Yes it can be a calling...but if you feel so beaten down you won't stick with it pass the hard learning curve years.  We need a change soon, because many of us will be leaving soon and the number coming in isn't high enough.

But I do believe in a higher power, God. I do believe he knows I'm at my limits.  I am having better classes even though my energy just can't keep up.  My goal is 4 to 5 more years if my health will allow.  Then I will have to do what the kids are doing...what do I do now???

I did like that J2 did acknowledge their teachers.  I will admit it is about time that Theatre teachers get acknowledge as much as music teachers.  All teachers are important and all provide something.  Theatre teaches way more than just to be a professional actor.  Of course in my world all students need several years of Theatre.  :)

Edited by 7kstar
  • Love 1

Oh, I like his hair in that one.

And nooo, not Sam's hair... Besides we all know that Phantom Barber would use Sam's hair to do evil.

Okay now for some reason, I'm imagining "evil" as switching Sam's and Dean's hair. They would both be horrified.

• Love 2

And nooo, not Sam's hair... Besides we all know that Phantom Barber would use Sam's hair to do evil.

Did you see that Halloween episode of The Simpsons when Homer gets a hair transplant?  Snake is electrocuted and Homer is possessed by his hair:

eCF1VLC.png

Then Homer rips it from his head and it tries to escape out the window before Chief Wiggum kills it.

That's what I'm imagining.

• Love 2

Okay, I'm back. (The NFL owns my ass!)

Glad I got here before season 11 (Season 11! Good Lord!) I'm catching up on fan fiction (Hey Awesom0400 and Omegamom!) and "Spoilers with Speculation". You all scare the hell out of Mick, but I feel like I'm coming home.

I see catrox14 is still off her meds. Some things never change, Thank God!

Dot, Sue, Demented and 7kstar, it's good to see you're all still here! I can't wait until Wed.!!                                                                                                    

• Love 1

I'd be right there with him, if it were Jim Beam!

We play a drinking game, a shot every time Dean does. Some episodes have gotten us, well, in the mood!

By that I mean, for the show! In the spirit if you will.

Edited by Mick Lady
  • Love 1

I like the shirt, but not "monster hunters". Mick's friend wrote a book titled "Monster Hunters International"

Don't bother, it sucks! Even I could tell it was horribly written, and I'm a math professor!

Got published though. Even has some movie interest. Go figure.

New unofficial t-shirt design.  Not sure who the female is supposed to be.  Rowena, I assume, but it doesn't look like her to me.

sKfhSY2.jpg

Perhaps the woman is Ellen? Seems like it might be a throwback to earlier times with Bobby being on it. 

Actually, I think it's Meg.  The little circle says "the brother's demonic past comes back to haunt them".  Add to that it's good guys on the left (Cas and Bobby) and Crowley on the right. I'd put Meg under that demon category. And if it's "Demons gone Wild", then conflict in Hell would put it Meg vs Crowley.

And I've put WAAAAAAAAYYYYY more effort into that picture than necessary.

• Love 3