Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

Sometimes, being married to a guy who's vaguely high-ish up in a federal department can be a bit unnerving. Like when the dad of an intern fired for documented racism/sexism phones and calls him an "injun-loving, faggot-loving, butt-fucking communist". Um. And then phones our congress critter to complain about him and calls *her* racist, sexist names.

Man. The world is kicking me emotionally in the butt this week. There are just some really icky people out there.

Well, ya gotta hand it to the guy! He can string together a string of insults! Even if he is a total ass! Hope you and hubby had a good laugh!

Narrow minded jerks like that you can do nothing about. Sorry you had to be exposed to one.

• Love 1

Soooooo, my friend that's watching SPN watched 3.16.  She said she has yet to cry once watching the show....I am now convinced she's actually dead inside.  But she's on to s4 LOL.

muuuuaahahahahaha

• Love 1

Anybody willing to share their road trip playlists?

Warning: This is going to be long - feel free to skim or skip entirely.

Oooh me, me... though I'm not sure how helpful it will be. Like DittyDotDot, I have really eclectic tastes, and since hubby and I road trip together and I don't drive, I can play a few things from one CD (and I still use CDs) pop it out and put in another, but I do have a few CDs where I play almost the whole thing straight through. These are the CDs I play while knitting, especially in the beginning of a project or a tricky part of the pattern, because then I don't want to have to switch. So here are my current favorites:

The Avett Brothers, I and Love and You: Pretty much the whole thing straight through. You might recognize the 3rd track from season 10 of the show. Warning though: the second track seems a little country-leaning. This isn't typical of the rest of the album. My favorite tracks: I and Love and You, Head Full of Doubt / Road Full of Promise, The Perfect Space, Ill With Want, and Incomplete and Insecure (which weirdly in some ways reminds me of Sam).

Cowboy Mouth, Are You With Me?: I start with track # 10 "Louisiana Lowdown" and play it through to track # 4 - I haven't tried tracks # 5-9 enough yet to recommend one way or another. Favorite tracks: New Orleans,* Jenny Says, Take it Out on Me, and God Makes the Rain

Keane**, Strangeland: Almost the whole thing. I actually burned a CD with most of this album plus some older stuff. Two favorites - one of mine (Strangeland) and one of hubby's (Myth) - is only on the i tunes store deluxe edition, but likely the regular version for the non-Keane initiated is enough. Favorite tracks: Silenced By the Night, Sovereign Light Cafe, Watch How You Go (beautiful), On the Road, Neon River, and Sea Fog (beautiful)... History - I knew only 4 songs of Keane's when I saw that they were coming in concert in Atlanta in a relatively small venue for their Strangeland tour, but I knew their style and thought the small venue would make for a great concert. So I convinced hubby - who barely knew of them - to go. Both hubby and I were blown away. One of the top 3 concerts I've ever been to in my life. Hubby bought all of their music as soon as he woke up the next day, including the deluxe version of this album.

ELO, The Hits: (Actually the first album I ever bought for my new stereo when I was a kid): Almost the whole thing. I only skip one or two. Favorite tracks: Can't Get It Out of My Head, Telephone Line, Showdown, Strange Magic, and Mr. Blue Sky.

Bon Jovi, The Ultimate Collection: Almost the whole damn thing, both CDs... or at least until hubby's sick of Bon Jovi (so sometimes I have to play it in parts to break it up for him). Favorite Tracks: probably too many to mention, but especially Wanted Dead or Alive (singing it badly like Sam and Dean), Born to be My Baby, Blaze of Glory, Bed of Roses, It's My Life, and You Give Love a Bad Name.

Credence Clearwater Revival, Chronical: Almost the whole thing. Some oldschool Supernatural stuff here, too. Favorite tracks: Bad Moon Rising, Lodi, Down on the Corner, Looking Out My Back Door, Long As I Can See the Light, and Have You Ever Seen the Rain?

Weird Al, The Essential Weird Al Yankovic: About 75% of it, and there are 38 songs here. Favorite Tracks (tough to choose): One More Minute, The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota, Since You've Been Gone, Amish Paradise, Everything You Know Is Wrong, The Night Santa Went Crazy, eBay, and White and Nerdy.

heywood banks, Treated and Released: 65% of it. heywood is an acquired taste, but I love him. This album doesn't have my favorite heywood song (Mean to Me), but it has the most in one place. Favorite tracks: You Never Know ***, If I Had a Bulldozer, Dust Mites (awesome for bug-loving me, funny too), The Cat Got Dead, Probably Just the Television ****, and 911 (so, so wrong. Hee)

I used to listen to a Joe Cocker's greatest hits CD that included "I'm So Glad I'm Standing Here Today," but I lost that CD somehow, and for some reason you can't get that CD song collection on i tunes - go figure. Someday I'm going to have to buy it somewhere and replace, because that CD was awesome, and I love that song so much (I saw him sing it live on the Grammy's and it made my dad and I cry it was so beautiful).

Single songs I inevitably want to play either via a CD or through hubby's phone: Bon Jovi's Right Side of Wrong and Two Story Town, Augustana's Boston (love this one especially), Joshua Kadison's Jessie and Postcards from L.A., The Polyphonic Spree's Light and Day / Reach for the Sun, Marc Cohn's Waking in Memphis and True Companion (this one makes me cry though), David Allen Coe's You Never Even Called me By My Name, Faith Hill's When the Lights Go Down and Cry a Little, Shakira's Underneath Your Clothes, Little River Band's Cool Change, Crosby, Stills and Nash's Southern Cross... probably more, but I'll shut up now.

* Contains one of my favorite song opening lines "The Texas sun beats down upon me like the devil's smile"

** Probably their most well known song is "Somewhere Only We Know" which was done on Glee

*** You Never Know... who's got a gun. This song is so wrong, but so funny.

**** The payoff of this one comes at the very end.

• Love 1

Oooh, Marc Cohn...True Companion and Perfect Love were both "our songs" for hubby and me, along with the Indigo Girls' The Power of Two and...um...okay, there was another one. Anyway, Marc Cohn has some awesome stuff. I really like Paper Walls and Lost You In the Canyon, too...pretty much all of his albums, all the way through.

Mellow and alternative stuff:

Indigo Girls, all of Swamp Ophelia. Their updated version of This Train is gut-wrenching, about the trains to the concentration camps. (Don't remember if it's on Swamp Ophelia, though.)

Metallica's Nothing Else Matters, and their cover of Turn the Page.

Tracy Chapman's first album (I think) is pretty good all the way through, specifically Fast Car, Mountains Of Dimes,

Ralph McTell does very nice folky stuff about Ireland.

Some Lyle Lovett...Church, She's No Lady, If I Had A Boat.

Nanci Griffith--Love at the Five And Dime is just too cute. Can't remember specific other songs off the top of my head.

Mary Chapin Carpenter--10,000 Miles (the song at the end of Fly Away Home) makes me weep, This Shirt, He Thinks He'll Keep Her.

Sting--Fields of Gold, Seven Days is a hoot...

Heart--Dog and Butterfly, Steamboat Annie.

Eagles--Seven Bridges Road, a specific live version of Hotel California which I can't track down, dammit, but plays on the classic rock station here all the time, Take It Easy.

CS&N--Southern Cross, Cathedral (kinda eerie), Suite Judy Blue Eyes, Teach Your Children Well, Guinevere, Our House...

Linda Ronstadt--Someone To Lay Down Beside Me, Blue Bayou...

Gerry Rafferty--Baker Street.

Boz Scaggs--Lido Shuffle, Lowdown, JoJo...

Fleetwood Mac--Crystal, Landslide, O Daddy, Rhiannon, Gold Dust Woman, Chains...

Jackson Brown--The Pretender, In the Shape of a Heart, Tender Is the Night...

Chris Izaak--San Francisco Days, Wicked Game...

Paula Cole--Where Have All the Cowboys Gone

kd Lang--Hush Sweet Lover, Constant Craving, Hallelujah...

The problem with my "mellow selection" is it might be too mellow. ;-)

I will follow up tomorrow with my more hard stuff.

• Love 1
(edited)

You didn't even cry over the Christmas episode......or Fan Fiction...even if tears of joy.  MY GODS WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?

I haven't cried, and as for what's wrong with me, I'd guess a lot.

If you need a road trip playlist just take a look at Los Santos Rock Radio from GTA V.  "Carry On Wayward Son" by Kansas, "Lonely Is the Night" by Billy Squier, "I Can't Wait" by Stevie Nicks, "The Break Up Song" by Greg Kihn Band, "I'm Free" and "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins, "Radio Ga Ga" by Queen, "Fortunate Son" by CCR, "Circle In the Sand" by Belinda Carlisle, "Burning Heart" by Survivor, "Rain" by The Cult, "Peace of Mind" by Boston, "Cat's In the Cradle" by Harry Chaplin, "Shadows of the Night" by Pat Benatar, "Night Moves" and "Hollywood Nights" by Bob Seger, "Photograph" by Def Leppard, "We Built This City" by Starship, "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles, and "Roundabout" by Yes.

Generally if I'm going somewhere I'll just play my Star Wars playlist (every song from 6 movies), a playlist of songs from Marvel movies, playlist of songs from DC movies and television, a playlist of songs from Chuck, or a playlist of songs from wrestling.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 1

You didn't even cry over the Christmas episode......or Fan Fiction...even if tears of joy.  MY GODS WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?

I always cry at Deans reveal of what happened in hell-every...single...time. The Christmas episode gives me a few tear ducts too. Also Lazarus Rising the Bobby hug and the Sam hug *sobs uncontrollably*

Anyone else notice the song playing during the end of the Christmas episode is the same one Jensen sang on Jason Manns album!?

• Love 2

The ending of Head of a Pin gets to me but I admit I dont tear up often or every time I watch the show.

I loved that they put in "The Weight" on Hibbing 911 and it is a reference to Jensen singing it.  Also pays tribute to Dylan.

• Love 1
(edited)

I absolutely, positively, cannot watch the warehouse scene with Dean's "family" in What Is and What Should Never Be without crying. And that's only after I've recovered from the earlier scene at "John's" grave. I almost always cry when Dean is holding Sam's body at the end of All Hell Breaks Loose, Pt. 1.

Also, the first time I watched it, I cried when Sam said "I'm supposed to wake up" while holding Dean's body on the first Wednesday in Mystery Spot. To be honest, I've cried in more episodes of this series than I have in any other in my long, long TV-watching history. I guess these characters really tug at my heart.

Edited by FlickChick

Actual crying? No. There have been a few times my cold dark heart was warmed: What Is And What Should Never Be the scene with the family in the warehouse is pretty heart wrenching, but it's when Dean is looking at the magazine and realizes Carmen was the beer ad girl that gets to me; All Hell Breaks Loose I with Dean holding on to a stabbed Sammy; the scene of them fixing Baby at the end of Fresh Blood; when Dean tells Sam to remember what he taught him in No Rest For The Wicked.

There's not too much after S3, though--I think they may have over-played that card by then--except Dean's little stone one speech to Sam and Bobby's death in S7. Fan Fiction had me almost tearing up at Chuck's reveal, but I'm sure that was more due to me not keeping up on the dusting than anything. ;)

• Love 2

Only Jensen's smile is almost okay, such goofy smiles...I think they can't help it by now they know each other too well and it may only take a look to set them off.  Me thinks it was Jensen this time.  :)

• Love 1

Haven't been around a few days (I'm sure you all noticed!) because I've been watching past episodes trying to figure out all the speculations you have all been annoying me with!

Just wanted to weigh in on the music bit. I'm all about the eighties, harder the better. I've always wondered why Supernatural hasn't used Mountain, or Deep Purple. Now because of Mick, I'm into the Blues

Speaking of Mick, he asked me today how you were catrox, he knows you've been through some tough times lately. I told him you were busy making people cry, and he said, "AH! She's back to normal! Good to know!" No shit, that was our exact conversation.

I cry all the time at Supernatural. AHBL has me sobbing! Every single time!

• Love 1

Good to have you back, Mick Lady!

... but now I know I gotta go get that next chapter done (3/4 there). I'll do the best I can... promise.

Well, stop posting here for cryin' out loud! Get back to work!

• Love 3
Just wanted to weigh in on the music bit. I'm all about the eighties, harder the better. I've always wondered why Supernatural hasn't used Mountain, or Deep Purple. Now because of Mick, I'm into the Blues

Psst...I believe they have used Deep Purple. End of a S6 episode where Dean uncovers Baby and gets back out on the road...didn't they use Smoke on the Water there? And, for some reason I'm thinking they used Mountain in a S1 episode, but I'm blanking on the episode or even the scene right now. There was quite a bit of music being played in the background of some of the bar scenes in S1; I have a hard time keeping them all straight anymore.

• Love 1

I know. They must have had quite the music budget in season 1. I remember two Rush songs (my Hubby's favorite), an Ozzy song, Rolling Stones, Metallica, Allman Brothers, Foreigner, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Boston, Blue Oyster Cult, etc.

I know. They must have had quite the music budget in season 1. I remember two Rush songs (my Hubby's favorite), an Ozzy song, Rolling Stones, Metallica, Allman Brothers, Foreigner, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Boston, Blue Oyster Cult, etc.

Well, that is how they advertised the show after all. ;) And I think at the time they had the second highest ratings on the WB after Smallville. Man, how things changed when the CW and the SN-hating witch took over in season 2. :(

I think she's referring to Dawn Ostroff who ran the CW back in the day. It seemed she wasn't too fond of our testosterone-filled show. I guess she was really trying to push for more "girly" shows on the network at the time. I believe she was also behind the mandate for them to add female cast members in S3, which resulted in Ruby and Bela. Although, I imagine Ruby was already in the works anyway.

Edited by DittyDotDot

The wife of the guy who is running Person of Interest decided that they needed more women on that show as well.  Interestingly enough, both of the women they hired did guest spots on Supernatural.  I never realized Sarah Shahi was the pilot ghost until after I started watching Person of Interest. 

I really liked Sheriff Jodi and Donna.  Besides these two, they have a poor track record of writing for and casting likable, semi regular women.  

*Likable is a poor choice of words.  Tolerable? Maybe?

I really liked Sheriff Jodi and Donna.  Besides these two, they have a poor track record of writing for and casting likable, semi regular women.  

*Likable is a poor choice of words.  Tolerable? Maybe?

I didn't really mind either version of Meg. Meg 1.0 was definitely the edgier, meaner version and that fit her character at the time. Meg2.0 was eventually the "softer" one, and made the transition to reluctant ally more believable. I don't think I would've been able to buy / accept the actress from Meg 1.0 in that role. Meg 2.0 even became semi-likable in the end. I also enjoyed Ellen and thought that she was well cast and written for.

I think for me where they usually don't succeed is with the "teen" characters. They seem to do fine with the older women and with the one-shot kids - the little girl who played Audry with the teddy bear was great, for example - but getting teen characters "right" I guess just isn't easy. They can be tough to write for, and the angst factor is generally high as teens are want to be.

• Love 2

I didn't really mind either version of Meg. Meg 1.0 was definitely the edgier, meaner version and that fit her character at the time. Meg2.0 was eventually the "softer" one, and made the transition to reluctant ally more believable. I don't think I would've been able to buy / accept the actress from Meg 1.0 in that role. Meg 2.0 even became semi-likable in the end. I also enjoyed Ellen and thought that she was well cast and written for.

I think for me where they usually don't succeed is with the "teen" characters. They seem to do fine with the older women and with the one-shot kids - the little girl who played Audry with the teddy bear was great, for example - but getting teen characters "right" I guess just isn't easy. They can be tough to write for, and the angst factor is generally high as teens are want to be.

I've come to think the female characters who have come off okay for me might be down to casting.  For the most part, it seems women fall into two categories on this show--hot and snarky badass or mother-like figures (who can also be snarky and badass)--I find it's the actresses who make them feel like individual characters. Ellen, Jo, Naomi, Abaddon and Pamela are probably more down to the actresses who played them than the actual writing. That could also be said about the male characters too, though.

Little kids are always so hit and miss for me anyway as kid actors don't generally have the experience and emotional maturity to find a character and instead just play themselves, IMO. Supernatural seems to do well in finding the right little kid for the role. Audrey, Todd and especially little Lilith were very effective. I think the problem with teen characters is they rarely are played by actual teens, but instead young adults who seem to be overplaying their roles. Add on top the writing and it's probably a rather unsatisfactory experience.

I have such a hard girl crush on Sarah Shahi.

Did you watch Life? First time I remember seeing Sarah Shahi.

• Love 1

I've come to think the female characters who have come off okay for me might be down to casting. For the most part, it seems women fall into two categories on this show--hot and snarky badass or mother-like figures (who can also be snarky and badass)--I find it's the actresses who make them feel like individual characters. Ellen, Jo, Naomi, Abaddon and Pamela are probably more down to the actresses who played them than the actual writing. That could also be said about the male characters too, though.

Little kids are always so hit and miss for me anyway as kid actors don't generally have the experience and emotional maturity to find a character and instead just play themselves, IMO. Supernatural seems to do well in finding the right little kid for the role. Audrey, Todd and especially little Lilith were very effective. I think the problem with teen characters is they rarely are played by actual teens, but instead young adults who seem to be overplaying their roles. Add on top the writing and it's probably a rather unsatisfactory experience.

Did you watch Life? First time I remember seeing Sarah Shahi.

I surely did. One the best shows that met too soon an end. That's when I got my girl crush on her. Then when I first started watching SPN couple of years ago I was like HEY THAT'S DANI! I tuned in Person of Interest to see her but I was kind of lost as to what was going on in the show and was watching Justified when it was on so I just stopped watching. I should try it again.

Re women and kids in the show. Should we move that to all seasons discussion?

Edited by catrox14

I think she's referring to Dawn Ostroff who ran the CW back in the day. It seemed she wasn't too fond of our testosterone-filled show. I guess she was really trying to push for more "girly" shows on the network at the time.

Supernatural and Smallville really got screwed by Dawn.  The CW would promote the heck out of stuff like Gossip Girl, their 90210 and Melrose takes, and Vampire Diaries, but not advertise Supernatural and Smallville.  Let's not even get into the network's decision to postpone the returns of Smallville and Supernatural with less than 24 hours notice, because Vampire Diaries had to go against American Idol (which both Supernatural and Smallville have had to at times), so they could show Vampire Diaries and Nikita again.

I have such a hard girl crush on Sarah Shahi.

I remember her 2 guest spots on Reba, which is another show that got screwed by Dawn Ostroff.  The best guest spot included the line from Van (played by Shahi's husband) when Shahi's character said she was falling apart, "I don't see anything falling, but I do see parts."

Little kids are always so hit and miss for me anyway as kid actors don't generally have the experience and emotional maturity to find a character and instead just play themselves, IMO. Supernatural seems to do well in finding the right little kid for the role. Audrey, Todd and especially little Lilith were very effective. I think the problem with teen characters is they rarely are played by actual teens, but instead young adults who seem to be overplaying their roles. Add on top the writing and it's probably a rather unsatisfactory experience.

Yes, we've had some great one-off kids! Where we hit the jackpot, IMO, is with Colin Ford as young Sam. Each time he appeared, he really did seem like the younger version of Sam, regardless of the age he was portraying. I also think that Dylan Everett did a great job playing Dean as a teen, and especially as adult Dean in a teen body in "About a Boy".

• Love 1

I've come to think the female characters who have come off okay for me might be down to casting.  For the most part, it seems women fall into two categories on this show--hot and snarky badass or mother-like figures (who can also be snarky and badass)--I find it's the actresses who make them feel like individual characters. Ellen, Jo, Naomi, Abaddon and Pamela are probably more down to the actresses who played them than the actual writing. That could also be said about the male characters too, though.

I keep forgetting about Naomi.  That makes me sad because Amanda Tapping deserved a much better storyline, IMO.

• Love 1

Psst...I believe they have used Deep Purple. End of a S6 episode where Dean uncovers Baby and gets back out on the road...didn't they use Smoke on the Water there? And, for some reason I'm thinking they used Mountain in a S1 episode, but I'm blanking on the episode or even the scene right now. There was quite a bit of music being played in the background of some of the bar scenes in S1; I have a hard time keeping them all straight anymore.

My God Dot, you're right! Thanks!

That is just too cute! Off to play again...

Oh, you evil, evil woman, MickLady! There's an app! Oh, noooooo, Mr. Bill!

This is how she's getting her vengeance on us for making her obsess over theories in the spoiler thread

• Love 2

This is how she's getting her vengeance on us for making her obsess over theories in the spoiler thread

Damn right!

I admit, when Snakebite showed me this site, I thought of you all immediately! I need my sanity and the spoiler thread  is driving me crazy!

Believe me, you haven't lived until you've sat around with a bunch of the "*81" and argued about Supernatural! I put up the spoiler thread and it started a discussion that lasted for hours! More than one Biker told me, "You tell anyone about this, you're dead!"

They bookmarked site though. Never saw so many guys whip out their phones so fast! I told them, "I have the coolest friends ever!"

• Love 4

Awesom04000, don't you have something better to do??!!

You know, like write?

Says the woman trying to distract me with potentially drawing stick figures ; ) ... *Will not click on link*

Actually I'm supposed to be finishing my presentation / lab prep for my Integrated Pest Management lab tomorrow, so I'm not sure if that's better or worse. Sometimes Powerpoint drives me crazy though... to the point that I talk to the screen: "No, I'm trying to move that one, the one I'm clicking on you stupid...." *mutter mutter mutter*

But I promise that I'm also writing. Lab will be done tomorrow afternoon, and then I'm free to write again. I'm almost done with the next chapter, and I had a major plot breakthrough for the story as a whole, too, so that's a good thing.

Okay, break over: back to the bugs...

• Love 2

I get it AwesomO4000, I spent the last five years of my "professional" life on oral boards and sponsoring PhD. candidates, so I get the stress!

But meanwhile, we have a bigger problem. Omegamom  has a thing for hamsters! It's getting out of hand, and I thought catrox was the one we had to worry about!

You guys are nuts! But you've given more fun than I've had for a long time. Thanks to everyone of you!

• Love 1

Thanks I could use the sweet dreams.  Dang it back to work I must go on Monday. 

In a little kid's voice - "But I don't wanna!!!!  Where did my summer go????

Did two stick figure stories, but my drawing stinks on the computer.  :)

• Love 1