Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Pies & Tarts

• Start Topic

So let me ask you this, Silver - how often do you actually encounter the large ones (not individual-sized)? As I was watching this episode, I was trying to figure out how many people each of those pies would feed, and it seemed like a lot, at least 12. For the three tiers together, that seemed like a restaurant creation and I was rather surprised they expected home cooks to do that.

Family sized pies are common, three tiered ones....not so much, in fact I have never seen a three tiered pie IRL. I suspect it was a creation especially  designed for the Bake Off challenge? Yes I would agree that huge pies would likely be for restaurant use.

• Love 1

I love Richard's attitude - he's serious while he's working, but has such an easy humor when things go awry.

I felt bad for Martha when she was getting the negative critique - it is easy to forget she's still a kid based on how well she has done.  And then in the talking head she acknowledged how rather silly she was to be so upset.  I'm not used to this level of self-awareness in reality tv.

I like Norman and sorry he is gone - since this is a competition he deserves to go, but Paul's seemed to be very anti-Norman since the getgo.  Norman may not be making fancy schmancy goods, but most of them sounded pretty tasty. 

This show is ruining US versions of cooking competions for me - contestants can be nice to each other?  you don't need to cast and telegraph a kitchen villain?  you don't need to repeat everything you just said just before the commercial break?* you give equal time in reviewing everyone's dish?

* I know it is PBS but it still bugs when US shows do this e-v-e-r-y-s-i-n-g-l-e-b-r-e-a-k.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 10
you don't need to repeat everything you just said just before the commercial break?

I'm convinced that Hell's Kitchen episodes could be half as long if they cut out the dramatic pauses, the dramatic music, and repeating everything that just happened before the commercial break. I swear, sometimes I feel like one of those old people who says, "Didn't I just see this?" because they repeat everything a million times on that show.

• Love 3

The February issue of Bon Appetit has an article - the cover story - on savory pies. British Invasion 2.0, perhaps? None of the recipes feed more than 6, however, and no water crusts.

The only non-dessert pies I have ever eaten are of the frozen pot pie variety.  I would like to try one, so will start to be on the look out for a place that makes them.  Wouldn't want to try making one on my own for the first go round.  My general cooking skills are fairly basic and my baking skills are a couple of floors below that.

• Love 3

I love the smell of lavander, but the taste? Not so much. To me, it tastes like it smells..like soap. Which is fine in the bathtub, but not for dessert. Norman has been dead man baking for a while now, so it was inevitable. 

I love British meat pies, though I did get food poisoning from a pub meat pie in London a few years ago, so there's that. I've forgiven them, though, since I didn't die.

All of the bakers are so charming. I am especially impressed by Martha, though, because she is so young! Was glad to see Kate win. She is very consistent. 

I've never seen anybody trim a tart crust after blind baking. On all the cooking shows I've seen it was done before. And I've never seen a hot water crust. Probably because most American cooking shows don't do meat pies. So, it appears I can learn things, even at my advanced age. 

I love this show.

• Love 2

I thought it was weird that after the signature and technical, when they were discussing top and bottom, Richard was one of the top contenders, because his signature was good even though he was last in technical.  However, Martha was in the bottom, because her signature was bad, even though she was first in technical.  Shouldn't both of the contestants be ranked the same?  Otherwise, it seems like the technical doesn't contribute overall to the standings and who gets sent home, which makes it all seem a little pointless.

I thought it was weird that after the signature and technical, when they were discussing top and bottom, Richard was one of the top contenders, because his signature was good even though he was last in technical.  However, Martha was in the bottom, because her signature was bad, even though she was first in technical.  Shouldn't both of the contestants be ranked the same?  Otherwise, it seems like the technical doesn't contribute overall to the standings and who gets sent home, which makes it all seem a little pointless.

That's not how I remember it, I may have to go back and watch it again. IIRC, at that point (2 of 3 challenges completed) they felt that Martha and Luis were safe, Richard and Kate were in trouble (they were already mentioning the 'curse of the star baker') and Chetna and Nancy were in the top. And I don't think those groupings changed after the showstopper.

Well, I've decided to try making a savory pie, well hand pie, since I have not had any luck finding what sounded like a decent restaurant that had them in my local area.

Decided to start with puff pastry and am researching recipes now. If anyone can point me in the right direction for good recipe but not too complicated, that would be much appreciated.

• Love 1
Decided to start with puff pastry and am researching recipes now. If anyone can point me in the right direction for good recipe but not too complicated, that would be much appreciated.

You know, for puff pastry you'd be fine using a frozen one.  It's one of the few kinds of pastry where you're likely better off going with the purchased version.  It just takes a lot of practice to be able to make puff pastry.  Here's a link to an epicurious article about it.

I've used both Trader Joe's and Pepperidge Farm.  I personally prefer TJs.  

• Love 1

As stillshimpy says, you can try store bought puff pastry. Many professionals in restaurants don't even make their own puff pastry anymore.

If you really want to try making your own puff pastry, go with rough puff pastry which is the shortcut version of puff pastry. The BBC has recipe here with a video. This is Gordon Ramsay's version. Paul's has a recipe here as well.

Good luck!

• Love 2

It never occurred to me to make puff pastry. Theoretically I know it is possible, but it is unlikely to happen in my kitchen. Ever.

Guess I should have said that straight away - I meant I was looking for a savory pie that could be made in puff pastry (purchased). Dang English language! If only I had another to use because this one is so tricky.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 1

I was shown how to make puff pastry by a very clever cooking teacher, and therefore it's never seemed difficult. But the frozen puff pastry is just as good. It's kind of like baking bread when there's a really great bakery nearby: you're doing it because you want to make it, not because the bread is necessarily better.

Pretty sure that Pepperidge Farm puff pastry is made with vegetable shortening, not butter. I have no idea about TJ's.

The best frozen PP I have used by far is a brand called Dufour. It's expensive and might be hard to find. I used to see it at Whole Foods.