Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Bates Go Wild

• Start Topic

Kelly acknowledged that since several of the older girls weren't going camping (the married and courting daughters), that the rest of them would have more work to do watching the little kids.

When it looked like one of the newly licensed daughters backed into their trailer, I was skeptical at the way they all just laughed about it and teased her - esp Gil and Kelly. Are the parents really that relaxed and easy-going? 

UP's website has very short (6-10 min total) clips of every episode. I'm not sure if this is the same episode in which Carlin and Tori took their drivers' tests, but on the clip -- Zach and Lawson went out driving with them and the commentary was totally what you'd expect between brothers and sisters. Lawson was telling them "slow down you're on the mountains of east Tn, you don't want to fly off the side of one" and later was standing behind the van as one of them was trying to park and saying "if I was a car, you would have hit me by now." Just good natured teasing and good humor that happens between siblings.

I think the kids get along like friends in part because they HAVE friends and thus know how to interact with peer age groups. I think for the same episode, they had a web exclusive of one of the girls turning 14 and while it was just a have cake with friends can of party -- there were friends there who looked to be the birthday girl's age -- not just another mega family who was invited with their kids ranging from age 2 to 25. I remember the same being true when they showed Alyssa's birthday party on their last TV show (on TLC) -- GIl made a comment the next morning about how everyone was going to sleep in because when the teens' friends come over parties end up going pretty late. Nice to see normal social interaction.

• Love 3

I'm talking about when the family was packing the vehicles to head out camping, one of the newly licensed daughters apparently backed into one of their other vehicles (or a trailer, they called it). Afterwards, they said she hit it so slightly that it didn't do any damage, but everyone just seemed so good-natured about it while it was going on. Now perhaps the show edited out the initial reaction. I think it's great if Gil and Kelly really are so easy-going (with that many kids, there's probably almost always something getting knocked over or into). 

• Love 1

I'm talking about when the family was packing the vehicles to head out camping, one of the newly licensed daughters apparently backed into one of their other vehicles (or a trailer, they called it). Afterwards, they said she hit it so slightly that it didn't do any damage, but everyone just seemed so good-natured about it while it was going on. Now perhaps the show edited out the initial reaction. I think it's great if Gil and Kelly really are so easy-going (with that many kids, there's probably almost always something getting knocked over or into). 

She only tapped it so there likely wasn't a reason for a big reaction. I think she didn't even feel it because she argued with them for a little bit saying she did not hit the trailer. 

And with that many kids and having to learn to drive in very large vehicles they are probably used to quite a few bumps and bruises on their vehicles.  

Edited by gunderda
  • Love 1

yes they have a stage in their house, I think they talked about it in one of their other shows or specials or maybe even on the duggars show.  I think it's where they play their music.

or it might have been during one of the episodes where the duggars helped remodel their home?  For some reason I'm thinking it was someone else's idea to put in the stage.

At this point I can't tell if Gil and Kelly are truly that easy-going or whether they're just working really hard at trying to be the anti-Duggars.

Ha, I've been wondering that too. I figure at the very *least* they have a significantly better publicist. But, since they do seem to be a little more "in" the world, as it were, than the Duggars, it seems possible they could be aware of a little of the less-positive perceptions, as well as the criticisms of the Duggars (TLC and the Duggars seem to be unaware of these things about 95% of the time, except for the occasional FU Internetz episodes of the show), so could be trying very hard to not be coming off like that.

• Love 1

Loved this episode. Kelly forgot they needed blankets not only to cover them but sleep on. They forgot the charcoal for the grill. All things normal families forget to pack for camping trips. 

Ha, I've been wondering that too. I figure at the very *least* they have a significantly better publicist. But, since they do seem to be a little more "in" the world, as it were, than the Duggars, it seems possible they could be aware of a little of the less-positive perceptions, as well as the criticisms of the Duggars (TLC and the Duggars seem to be unaware of these things about 95% of the time, except for the occasional FU Internetz episodes of the show), so could be trying very hard to not be coming off like that.

The differences between the Duggars and Bates are night and day- I think in talking heads they try to be anti duggars but I don't think you can fake the normalcy of the interactions- The kids are not robotic like the duggars...they have personalities... and vocabularies outside of blessing or sweet. lol

• Love 1