Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Burned (Fairview Park, OH)

Thank goodness for all the new technology that allowed them to make the case. The cell phone tower pings, the complete computer imaging, the website duplication using month-old software, it was all pretty cool. Personally, I would have arrested the guy based on his old mug shot alone, but that's just me ;)  I thought the guy was rocking a Chris Walken kind of look, only with freakier eyes.

I don't know if I could buy a home knowing there had been a fire there, much less a person had died and melted in the kitchen. Too much bad karma.

• Love 4

It's always great to see technology catching up with the criminals, isn't it?  It makes preserving every shred of evidence, whether cops think it is of any significance or not, a critical factor, especially in cases that end up going cold.

• Love 3

Yeah, the arson investigator was the hero in this case. He investigated it as a murder from the start and preserved all the scene evidence. Even the detective, who hadn't prosecuted a murder, held onto the computer, despite the brother insisting it was his.

• Love 6

One of the things I liked about this episode particularly is the acknowledgement that not all detectives are skilled at presenting cases to prosecutors. Kelly taking the 'I'm'a teach you good' route was interesting, and her pride in the detective's success was, frankly, adorable.

Glad to see Allen, but I'm starting to really miss my JohnnyBonds.

• Love 5

This is a big circumstantial case. But the computer information and the cell phone data is pretty damning, so it's going to take some fast talking by the defense counsel to find an alternate person to blame, or to come up with a better alibi than the "I was on my way to Michigan" alibi which has been blown out of the water.

Two Questions....1) is the testimony of all the abused ex-girlfriends going to be admissible? Might it be too predjudicial? and 2) did anyone else think the brother may know more than he was letting on? I know Kelly thought he told the truth, but he was so twitchy I was thinking he knew something.

• Love 1

Some of the abused ex-girlfriends have police reports and adjudicated assault charges against the guy, so the prosecutor will argue that the guy has a history of violence and it is relevant to this case. His attorney will of course argue that it is prejudicial, so it will be up to the judge in the case to decide if he/she will allow it to entered into evidence. Could go either way, but I'm betting it gets heard. If it does, it opens the door for the other girlfriends to testify.

I got the feeling the brother felt guilty for 1) smelling the smoke for so long and not doing anything about it, 2) bringing his scumbag brother in contact with his neighbor and 3) apparently having a little bit to do with the financial scamming of the neighbor. But I don't think he had anything to do with the actual murder.

• Love 4

Can someone here tell me what was said at the very end?  My DVR cut off just after the written update saying the grand jury was moving forward with charges against Sheline but then after that, Kelly Seigler came back on saying something but we missed it.  

Can someone here tell me what was said at the very end?  My DVR cut off just after the written update saying the grand jury was moving forward with charges against Sheline but then after that, Kelly Seigler came back on saying something but we missed it.  

Yeah what did Kelly say? My DVR cut off too.

• Love 1

She said that the grand jury indicted and he was arrested and arraigned. Or, you know, what Galloway Cave said.

TNT is reliably very bad with top-of-the-hour overlap. I always program an extra minute into the record time.

Edited by attica
  • Love 1

That computer guy was what saved the case for them, I think.

I love this show, but it's becoming problematic because they air the case before the perps go to trial. One case is already citing pre-trial publicity from the show, saying the guy won't be able to get a fair trial.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the show, but I felt a little ouch every time they referred to the victim as a "little old lady." 

I know! She was a very young 67 year old with a lot of life in her. Also, 67 isn't old at all! 

Edited by Soobs
  • Love 3

I had been wondering if all this publicity might mess up some of those cases.  I understand (and personally enjoy) that people want to see the process and "enjoy" the case sooner, but I could wait until after the trial/disposition, I suppose.  That would put some of them way down the road, though.  It will be interesting to learn how that plays out.  

• Love 1