Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: To Find a Friend

Anyone else think it was going to be Grayson who broke into the bar and stole the money? I hope they don't spend the rest of the season pairing Laurie and Travis in stories together. I would have liked a group scene of everyone together and would have thought Jules would have cared at least a little about Andy being sad. Hopefully he'll stop being pathetic now and will actually have a plot outside of being Bobby's best friend.

As much as I dislike babies on shows, I really hope they do an episode that makes Baby Bobby a worthy addition to the show rather than just throwing in a pregnancy for Laurie because they ran out of things for her to do. Hopefully we don't get any more tired scenes of "babies are hard work" that all shows seem to have when they add kids (making me really grateful for Parks and Rec's time jump).

Laugh of the night was probably Jules' reaction to Tom calling her a GILF.

• Love 2

Yep, I also expected Grayson to be the one who "stole" the money. I don't know if it's better or worse that it wasn't his doing. I did wonder why the thieves didn't take any booze along with the cash, but I can give that a pass because maybe they did, but Jules and Ellie just didn't know what the inventory was supposed to be.

I thought the whole premise, that it was hard to run the bar, was undermined by the way that Jules and Ellie seemed to be doing fine and having a great time of it, and the only real problem was they forgot to lock the door. Of course, two people doing the work of one person ought to find it do-able, but it also means they didn't have a clear division of labor worked out, which is probably why they forgot to lock up. I can't see either of them, especially Jules, forgetting to lock, had she been alone.

In the end, I felt like it was just a ploy to degrade them by putting them through the "let's sell sexuality and run scams for $3000" routine. Hardee har har, Show. We love to see bitches act cheap and be taken down a peg, now, don't we? Deep down, we all know that women are really just incompetence wrapped around nice tits! Teehee!

I was relieved to see that what Andy wanted was a friend, and it didn't have to be a Bobby copy, just someone who cared about him. I can imagine, being married to Ellie, that would be essential to anyone's sanity. I hope we don't wind up with a lot of homophobia exploitation set ups like Grayson avoids boy hugs, Grayson avoids all expressions of Andy's affection, Grayson is uncomfortable with how much Andy values him.... not to mention the flip side of Andy harasses Grayson for more closeness than Grayson wants, Andy is needy and acts like a baby because Grayson isn't available, Andy is submissive to both Eliie and Grayson.... That shit isn't any funnier than "the girls are all dimbulb sluts" jokes.

I thought it was at least a new twist on the new parent stress story, that the baby actually slept and nothing actually went wrong, but the parents were so worried that they lost their minds. Also, in TravisVision, the apartment looked normal, but when Jules arrived, we saw that it was a total disaster.

I was glad to see Ron Funches in the "Bobby replacement try-outs" and was hoping he'd become a regular. I don't know who the second guy was, but I feel more depressed than amused by the "Tom is pathetic and the gang humiliates him" routine, so Tom trying out wasn't funny to me either.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2

The Travis and Laurie travesty have ruined this show for me. I hate their "relationship," I hate their baby, I hate how them as a couple was forced down our throats.

One of the trailers for the show had Brian Van Holt talking about how special the show was, followed by a cast photo without him in it. That seemed particularly cruel considering his last appearance already happened. He must have done something really bad to piss off the producers.

• Love 5

Anyone else think it was going to be Grayson who broke into the bar and stole the money? 

I am still not sure whether or not Graysone did break in and steal the money. Because otherwise how exactly did he figure out what they did?

I am still not sure whether or not Graysone did break in and steal the money. Because otherwise how exactly did he figure out what they did?

Um because they kept having the conversation about how needed to get 3 grand repeatedly in front of Grayson's customers, or maybe he has security cameras inside or outside the bar and he checked the video tapes. It would be lame if he stole the money to prove some kind of point.

Does Jules work any more ?

• Love 1

I don't think the Travis/Laurie relationship feels forced, he's had a crush on her since season one abd they've been flirty since season three, it's more of a natural progression of the already built relationship.

I miss Bobby already.

And as always Ellie was hilarious.

• Love 1

I'm never going to be okay with the Travis/Laurie thing, it's just too weird that she was an adult friend of his mother who was his first crush during puberty and she watched him grow up. It's one thing to have a decade age difference when both players are already adults, but I've tried and I can't get past it in this situation. It'll never not be creepy to me. I envy those who enjoy them!

So did everyone but Grayson quit their jobs? I mean I know it's a comedy and half the joke is that these people never have any real responsibilities (and can drink wine all day long and never get drunk or get purple teeth, dammit!), but they used to at least toss their individual jobs some occasional lip service every few episodes. Did I miss some plot point where everyone retired, including the new young parents?

Ellie giving Jules the boob graze was hot, I'm not going to lie.

• Love 2

I'm never going to be okay with the Travis/Laurie thing, it's just too weird that she was an adult friend of his mother who was his first crush during puberty and she watched him grow up. 

Don't forget (for the extra creep factor) that Laurie also had a relationship with Grayson (now Travis's stepdad) prior to Grasyon getting together with Jules.

• Love 2

So did everyone but Grayson quit their jobs? I mean I know it's a comedy and half the joke is that these people never have any real responsibilities (and can drink wine all day long and never get drunk or get purple teeth, dammit!), but they used to at least toss their individual jobs some occasional lip service every few episodes. Did I miss some plot point where everyone retired, including the new young parents.

Well Ellie quit her job long ago, as far as I know Travis only has a part time job at a coffee house. Laurie can surely take leave of her own cake business due to being massively pregnant/just gave birth. So really you just have to wonder why Jules isn't selling houses or why Andy isn't mayoring...Or accounting. What does he even do anymore?

Well Ellie quit her job long ago, as far as I know Travis only has a part time job at a coffee house. Laurie can surely take leave of her own cake business due to being massively pregnant/just gave birth. So really you just have to wonder why Jules isn't selling houses or why Andy isn't mayoring...Or accounting. What does he even do anymore?

Well Jules is a real estate agent, and they typcially don't work normal Monday to Friday hours. Since Jules works for herself I think for the most part she can make her own schedule, and might not need to go into the office everyday. And if I can remember the Mayor of Gulf Haven had no actual power or non-ceremonial duties, So the only thing that jumps out is Andy's regular job, and if he is that broken up about Bobby maybe he had to take some personal leave. Or even not, I mean he only probably spent a couple of hours with Grayson on the boat over the course of a few days, no reason he couldn't do that after work.

I'm never going to be okay with the Travis/Laurie thing, it's just too weird that she was an adult friend of his mother who was his first crush during puberty and she watched him grow up. It's one thing to have a decade age difference when both players are already adults, but I've tried and I can't get past it in this situation. It'll never not be creepy to me

It's not necessarily that Travis & Laurie are creepy to me, but I do agree that just because he had a crush on her when he was a teenager in no way means she was the girl of his dreams. If I recall, in usual white-trash Laurie fashion, she offered to Jules to take Travis's virginity, because it was kind of her thing.

My main objection to them is something Travis touched on when he ran away to Hawaii -- that Laurie would date a hot guy, get dumped or go crazy or whatever, and then come running back to him for comfort, even though she knew he had a crush on her. She deliberately played on his feelings for her when it was convenient for her to do so. Which is what I totally expect will happen (although we won't see it before the end of the show) -- Laurie will find some hotter guy than Travis and take off, until she is dumped or goes crazy or whatever and comes running back to him. Travis deserves better than that.

I was bothered in this episode by Grayson's comment (I think it was Grayson) about finding Andy someone to take Bobby's place, because who could do that? Except he said it to Jules, so I'm thinking: Dude, you took Bobby's place as Jules's husband, so of course you're going to take Bobby's place in the heart of his guy-love friend.

And whichever casting director thought creepy Tom would be a good addition to the cul de sac crew should be fired, and so should the writers who think it's funny that the entire gang treats him like shit.

I still don't really understand why (just in the Cougar Town world) Grayson's job was so hard and how he won that bet.  It was stupid of the ladies to not lock the door, of course, but surely the hardest part of his job isn't locking the door at night?  I realize I'm taking it much too seriously!

One of the trailers for the show had Brian Van Holt talking about how special the show was, followed by a cast photo without him in it. That seemed particularly cruel considering his last appearance already happened. He must have done something really bad to piss off the producers.

Glad someone else caught that, too.  All I could come up with was maybe it was TPTB gave Brian a swan song.

Got a chuckle out of Ellie and Jules jonesing for Baby Smell.  I thought that was just my GF.

Jules' nicknames for the customers was funny.

Babies talking like adults creeps me out.

I thought they were going to be in more revealing outfits under their raincoats, especially after Ellie telegraphed the gag after ripping Jules' blouse open - after all, Jules was in her bra and panties in the first season's first ep.  Of course, that was a few years ago...

That's it.