Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Courting Another Wife

• Start Topic

" You know, their wives deserve them if they put up with that crap. Maybe we should see it as doing the rest of us a favor: dragging the hopeless dopes out of the market so they'll leave normal women alone. "

Well, it's not as if the wives are getting nothing from it. Did you see the Brown's Vegas homes? I don't know any other fmaily who lives like that where apparently

none/not too many work ( whether it's from TLC loot or not, it's still a sweet deal ).

".I think Kody loves attention but the reality is he probably would have been a much better husband and father with fewer kids and wives."

IMO Kody does not have the maturity or interest in it that monogamy requires. He'd have been better off as a bachelor, but probably married to satisfy his church's expectations. I'm sure Meri felt panic in being unable to keep Kody. Add in her fertility problem...& polygamy was the only way to hold that marriage intact.

• Love 1

" What about the GUN Collection? No good is going to come of that, mark my words. "

i agree. When there's so much pent up emotion and so many people together, that's how murder-suicides hit the papers. And it doesn't have to be the parents. All you need is one disturbed member---even an older child---and there's the recipe for disaster.

• Love 1

I actually knew one of the "Manson Girls," went to school with her. And my brother dated her a couple of times. She sure changed after high school! LOL

I would be totally interested in hearing more about that! Is there an off-topic thread here?
  • Love 2

I would be totally interested in hearing more about that! Is there an off-topic thread here?

Ditto.  Total true crime buff here.

Back to Nathan Collier...did this guy actually say, "The sheriff could kick in my door, arrest me and lock me up in a cage"???  This is so obviously untrue.  I'm pretty sure there's no law in Montana about a married man having a girlfriend as well, which is all the second wife is legally.  So even when they don't live in Utah or were raised in a polygamist cult, becoming a polygamist turns them into paranoid liars.

• Love 1

I only watched this episode tonight.

The thing that bothered me about the entire Ken thing was that Kody and every other adult knew that Christine was upset by Ken and wouldn't want to spend time with him. This was a family vacation and they had not made plans to visit him that Christine had agreed to. Kody even said, before he made the call, something like "Christine hates Ken..." or something like that.

The point is, he and the other adults all knew it would upset Christine and Kody did it anyway. He didn't care about her feelings and I think that was the most upsetting thing to her. Heck, it upset me to see that. He could have talked with her privately (at home) if he felt this was an issue, and they could agree to disagree and he could continue to be friends with Ken on his own, but to try to force Christine to go and spend time with someone that she felt had insulted her and their family--or for whatever reason. Kody was dismissive of Christine's feelings just by calling Ken. In other words, I don't think it matters if her feelings were for ridiculous reasons (in Kody's mind or anyone's mind), her feelings were her feelings, and everyone was dismissive and unkind.

If they'd had plans to visit Ken and then Christine suddenly got upset, that would be different. Kody didn't have to force this issue in such a public way while on a family vacation.

I also thought blaming it on PMS was ridiculous. Maybe Christine does have PMS, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have valid reasons for her feelings--and even if her reasons don't seem valid to Kody, he should have respected her feelings--or at least respected her enough to figure out this issue at some other time.

To me it just seemed like Kody did this knowing it would upset her and then expected her not to be upset and then called her "crazy" for being upset. And then essentially told her that he was going to ignore her feelings and opinions from this point forward whenever he couldn't be bothered to try and understand.

I had mixed feelings about Dayton. Someone earlier mentioned that Robin had posted on Twitter that Dayton didn't want this episode aired, and if that is true, that makes me sad. I was thinking that Dayton had been given time to mature and adjust and that maybe he'd made his own decision to be on camera more this season. In any case, he comes off as intelligent and articulate and a really cool guy.

I also think that, as a parent with my own kids, I probably would have avoided the ATV riding thing. I have seen too many people seriously injured or killed, and if one of my kids had had a similar accident (as Dayton's), I'd not be enthusiastic about it. And if I knew one of my kids would be upset by it, I probably would have encouraged a different activity for everyone or at least for some of the kids. On the other hand, maybe everyone else thoughtlessly decided to go ATV riding and it was difficult to bow out without making a scene. Or maybe that just didn't occur to anyone. I actually got all choked up when Dayton decided to face his fear and go for a ride, though.

I also thought the other family was a bit creepy. And I thought it was weird and kind of annoying the way the women messed up Maddie's apartment. I think they went a little beyond practical joke territory, but maybe the camera just made it seem worse than it was.

• Love 5

Someone earlier mentioned that Robin had posted on Twitter that Dayton didn't want this episode aired, and if that is true, that makes me sad

It wasn't this epi that Dayton said no to; it was his original accident and the aftermath that Dayton wanted kept off TV, and the family completely respected his wishes. Pretty sure that's what the OP was referring to.

Why are all these families they visit so creepy. I thought those wives looked very much alike, sisters, even more creepy. Dayton is finally getting air time and he is so articulate and mature. Kody asking this Collier guy so many questions is just ridiculous. He has been at this longer then marble mouth. Hated this episode it was awful. Janelle walking out was an over-reaction. The conversation was embarrassing

but I don't think she needed to walk out. Christine is becoming a pain in the ass.

Did anyone else think those twins look like followers of Charles Manson?

• Love 3