Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E12: Firestarter (2)

joanne3482

Season 14 has so far been an improvement over Season 13. I was worried about the reduced episode count, but re-watching season 13, it was clear they had more episodes than they knew what to do with. I'm so glad the part one/part two structure is mostly gone, this way episodes "end," but the ramifications carry on in other plots. I'm no longer worried about what will happen when the seniors graduate, the younger class feels fresh whereas the seniors sans Becky and Imogen (somtimes) feel like we reached maximum plot potential.

A-Plot. God, that Hollingsworth family. If Papa Hollingsworth wins the mayor slot (and I think he will), I can only assume it'll get worth. I get he's under pressure and Miles is messy son, but him actually striking him was awful, and he even near hit Hunter with that mug. Mama Hollingsworth is pitiful. When your son tells you that your husband hit him, you try to place the blame on him? She knows what kind of man she married, but I think she likes her fancy lifestyle too much and knows what'll happen if she stood up to him.

The good thing at least is that Miles finally realizes (by committing arson) about what he had to do. And yes, it looks like we're getting more Matingsworth. -_- So I guess Triles was about Miles just getting a rise of his dad.

B-Plot. Yeah so Zoe confessed. But realistically, even with Zoe being the "madam" of Degrassi Nudes doesn't get the cheerleaders off the hook, they could still face charges. She doesn't deserve all of the blame, she didn't make anyone do anything, and Frankie eventually left the team. But I guess Zoe taking the heat works storyline-wise to get the other mains off the work. In any case, the set-up inside that spare room was hokey, so good for Zoe for seeing right through it, lol.

I hope Winston and Frankie never break up, but I know they will when Epitome casts another 10th-11th grade hot boy.

C-Plot. Clare forgave Eli way too quick considering his history and what he said to her, but if the baby is his then I guess she can't so no he can't not be involved. Maybe I'll warm up to EClare again. Eventually.

"Hey, I'm not that guy anymore. I've changed; I've matured."

Really, Eli? Clare still fucked Drew. Nothing's changed except that it happened - by chance! -  to be one of your little squigglies that made it through, rather than his.

I actually used to like the character of Eli a lot, even through the Lenore crap and season 13. But I was so thrown by what the writers did to him this season, that I'm sort of disinterested in the whole storyline. Hmmph.

Edited by Uptown Sasquatch
  • Love 1

Eli, you crumbled too quickly!  Where was the patented Eli dramatics?  We all know you ain't changed that much.  You could have at least been upset that she kept it from you and planned on keeping it from you.  So disappointed.

How the hell did Becky know the routine?  Wasn't it a completely new one?  I call shenanigans.

• Love 3

So many things I liked, and so many things I just didn't understand:

The Good:
More praise cannot be heaped on the Hollingsworth storyline, especially their terrible mother and both parents' attempts to play favorites with the kids.  Regardless of all the other confusing things that happened in this episode, I'm so happy they're standing by each other.  But seriously: is Mama Matlin going to adopt them too?

Frankie calling Zoe for the bully that she is, but also recognizing the same behavior in herself.  She's a terrific character, flawed but impressively self-aware.  I'm inching closer to forgiving her for blaming Zoe's sexual assault on the victim.

Lola continuing to be a moron.  She is so endearingly clueless, and I adore her. I like Shay as the voice of reason too.  I don't want her interfering with Dallas/Ali, because the last thing Ali needs is more boy drama, but I like how she sticks up for Frankie.  

Confusing:

Eli does not only engage in irrational behavior.  He's bi-polar, right?  It's a disease with a genetic pre-disposition.  Rather than talk around his health, they should address it outright.  They are having a child together: how will it affect his meds/stability?  How will it affect their child?  As with Maya and Cam's legacy, I wish they'd stop talking around issues and just say it outright.

While the Hollingsworths might have years of inherited wealth, Zoe's been acting since she was a baby.  There's no way she doesn't have the money to do whatever Frankie's father would do.  Writers!  Find a new excuse that actually makes sense.  Or remember that some of the cheerleaders (Shay) have brains and would see right through that lame excuse.

Between Ladies Only target practice, dance, dating Imogen, and running triathlon training, how does Jack have the time for Power Cheer?  Why does this show make me think so hard?

Miles burned down a school (or maybe just part of a school).  I taught for years in the NYC pubic school system and even we had cameras in all the hallways.  There's no way Miles wasn't caught on camera, yet he just breezes out of the school?  What?

Furthermore, he burns down a school (or part of a school), and Maya somehow forgives him?  Thinks he's stable?  Sees it as a sign of emotional growth?  WHAT????

• Love 1

So many things I liked, and so many things I just didn't understand:

The Good:

More praise cannot be heaped on the Hollingsworth storyline, especially their terrible mother and both parents' attempts to play favorites with the kids.  Regardless of all the other confusing things that happened in this episode, I'm so happy they're standing by each other.  But seriously: is Mama Matlin going to adopt them too?

Frankie calling Zoe for the bully that she is, but also recognizing the same behavior in herself.  She's a terrific character, flawed but impressively self-aware.  I'm inching closer to forgiving her for blaming Zoe's sexual assault on the victim.

Lola continuing to be a moron.  She is so endearingly clueless, and I adore her. I like Shay as the voice of reason too.  I don't want her interfering with Dallas/Ali, because the last thing Ali needs is more boy drama, but I like how she sticks up for Frankie.  

Confusing:

Eli does not only engage in irrational behavior.  He's bi-polar, right?  It's a disease with a genetic pre-disposition.  Rather than talk around his health, they should address it outright.  They are having a child together: how will it affect his meds/stability?  How will it affect their child?  As with Maya and Cam's legacy, I wish they'd stop talking around issues and just say it outright.

While the Hollingsworths might have years of inherited wealth, Zoe's been acting since she was a baby.  There's no way she doesn't have the money to do whatever Frankie's father would do.  Writers!  Find a new excuse that actually makes sense.  Or remember that some of the cheerleaders (Shay) have brains and would see right through that lame excuse.

Between Ladies Only target practice, dance, dating Imogen, and running triathlon training, how does Jack have the time for Power Cheer?  Why does this show make me think so hard?

Miles burned down a school (or maybe just part of a school).  I taught for years in the NYC pubic school system and even we had cameras in all the hallways.  There's no way Miles wasn't caught on camera, yet he just breezes out of the school?  What?

Furthermore, he burns down a school (or part of a school), and Maya somehow forgives him?  Thinks he's stable?  Sees it as a sign of emotional growth?  WHAT????

I don't think there is a lot of money left. they've hinted at it, and it wouldn't be the first time a child's star's parent  burned through the kids money like it's water. (re: Zoe). I do love how Frankie basically told Zoe the truth. They don't 'like her' the way she wants, they like her, because they're scared of her, and they don't want to get into trouble. 

I love how all the finals, or major things are at Degrassi... and there is still  no adult supervision. (Also Drew's "Everyone stay calm!" and then running like a maniac off the stage was hilarious. I won't lie -I'm going to miss him, and I didn't think I would have after how he was introduced). And as is tradition: Degrassi burns down. 

Eclare... this bothers me so much. Yes. Eli was way out of line with the whore comments and the whole nine yards, but he also had the right to know about the baby from Clare. Even if it was in a"screw you douchebag," sort of way. And this is where Clare seriously needs to grow up.(well both of them, actually). that entire speech I was thinking, "that's well and good -but that's also his kid. " (I had Dallas's words in my head - the kid is always going to want to know what happened to the father,  and what's Clare going to say "well he has irrrational behaviour so I decided, nah! you're better off."? 

As well as -that would have been my first-ish thoughts when i found out Eli was the dad. Bi-Polar depression. but i think they forgot. (as well as Cam, and Jenna so it doesn't surprise me). 

the Hollingsworth Family. Wow.zer.  i have to wonder if the abuse signs were always there, or was it all just "this season" (starting with Miles, the throwing of the cup etc." but I have to day, douchey move dad. Your daughter almost dies, and it's all "let's go back home and be all media friendly?" I wouldn't even go with theMom (where the hell was she?)

annnd. i just have to point this out: are you seriously telling me that there was no fire extinguisher in the hall - at all? Maya and Miles just stood there until it got to critical mass? (also, how did Frankie, Winston, Zoe get out? how were they found?)

so is this it? no more Degrassi? 

• Love 1

(also, how did Frankie, Winston, Zoe get out? how were they found?)

I assume that they were found by the firemen. They are probably trained to search every room in a burning building for people who are trapped and/or unconscious. So they would have found Frankie, Winston and Zoe. Edited by paulvdb

I assume that they were found by the firemen. They are probably trained to search every room in a burning building for people who are trapped and/or unconscious. So they would have found Frankie, Winston and Zoe.

that makes sense. :) 

Oh, that was bad.  I mean, I realize that Degrassi is typically uneven and often a thinly veiled PSA but, agreed, they really dropped the ball on Eli's bipolarity.  I mean, maybe they'll elaborate on Eli's "irrationality."  

Did I miss Miles' taking responsibility for lighting the school on fire?

Also,  the Hollingsworth family drama does not feel believable to me.  I'm not even sure why.  Miles doesn't sell it.  I would find it more believable if Miles had made up the whole damn thing because, maybe in a young person's mind (valid or not), negligent/narcissist fathers don't necessarily provoke the same external intervention.  This whole thing feels a bit hollow.

Also, YES, the Frankie character is a great character.  I love her.  I even love the actress.

And I think it's kind of baller that Claire looks like she belongs in a 1948 ad for a soap product, that awful shirt crossed the line. 

I want to like Zoe.  I really do but the actress needs to relax her mouth.  It's really distracting.

• Love 1

First line, Clare says the cheerleaders are "gonna burn this whole place down".  K, the fire was the first scene of the first episode of this season.  Nice script symmetry, but by now we don't exactly need the foreshadowing.

(Also Drew's "Everyone stay calm!" and then running like a maniac off the stage was hilarious. I won't lie -I'm going to miss him, and I didn't think I would have after how he was introduced). And as is tradition: Degrassi burns down. 

so is this it? no more Degrassi? 

"Everybodypleaseclearthegyminanorderlyfashion!!"  We needed that feet spinning padda-padda-padda-followed-by-a-ricochet sound effect as Drew bolted.

As Zoe was walking over to the officer, two of the cheerleaders turned around to watch her go by and their backs were facing her point of view.  I thought we were going to get a NYC Police Turning Their Backs On Mayor de Blasio thing.

Eli's words notwithstanding (and I realize he was being sarcastic), the school was far from burned down.  The fire looked to be contained to the materials on top of the table with the school expansion materials on it, and a few posters on the wall behind it.  I'm not even sure that realistically it would have generated all that smoke.

Snark aside, as always I'm looking forward to the next installment of My Degrassi.  Depending on whether it's on hiatus, this one's always in my top 2 or 3 favorite shows. 

And speaking of hiatus, re: No more Degrassi? If my research is correct, we can anticipate the second part of this season to start airing in April - I assume TPTB want to give Open Heart a chance to find an audience.

Till then...

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 3

Open Heart has a few Degrassi alumni on it... Cristine Prosperi (Imogen), Justin Kelly (Jake), and Dylan Everett (Cam). There may be more but I haven't really been paying attention, just saw a few pictures.

A lot happened in this episode, yet I feel like nothing actually did. Strange.

Miles - I was so surprised when Mr. H backhanded Miles... I figured something might happen but that really shocked me. The fact that Miles couldn't punch Mr. H was huge. They said several times during this block that Miles and Mr. H were alike but here, they showed that that isn't true. It could still go either way but for now, they're saying that there's still plenty of hope for him. It's so sad how easy it was for Mr. H to manipulate Miles... he quickly went from wanting his dad to leave to packing his bags and hitting the road himself.

I'm glad Hunter was there to witness the abuse, so someone could vouch for Miles (even though it took him a little time to finally get on board). Then Mr. H acted almost comically evil, caring more about Frankie making a statement for his campaign than about her being alive, that she easily sided with her brothers after hearing Miles had been hit. I went "aww" when Miles kissed Frankie on the head, that was very sweet. I'm happy the kids can rely on each other now. So I guess the idea is that they're going to go to Mrs. H about this but I'm not sure she would be any more receptive than she was before. I can't decide if she's too in love with her lavish lifestyle or if she's just as abused as the kids (the abuse being emotional rather than physical with her, I think). Interested in seeing if things actually do get better, as they implied, and I hope there's plenty of Hollingsworth sibling moments because I adore them.

As for Miles starting the fire... I mean, I get it and everything but I kinda wish someone else had been behind it, or that it was an accident. Plus, having Maya involved was almost a carbon copy of the hit and run incident, which was only a few episodes ago. Only difference is that this time, neither of them seemed at all affected by or concerned about what they did, which was incredibly weird.

Frankie/Zoe - I'm glad Zoe quickly realized the knife was fake and called out the situation as stupid because it really was, lol. I'm not sure how compelling Frankie's speech to Zoe really was but whatever, I'm just glad that this is finally being dealt with. Though it was her idea, I don't think Zoe's the only one who should be punished. There are a lot of people who deserve jail time this season; Zoe, all the kids who took and purchased the nudes, Miles (for the fire), Maya (for being an accessory to the fire), Winston and Frankie (for false imprisonment or whatever). I mean, shit... half the school needs to be cuffed, lol.

I'm surprised Zig didn't freak out when Zoe told him everyone would be better off without her, especially after what happened on the bus last season (when he got her to not overdose on drugs). Sounded super ominous to me, though I'm sure it wasn't meant to be. Hopefully post-cheer!Zoe will be more tolerable but I'm not sure I'll be able to feel sympathy for her for a long while, she was so vile.

Clare/Eli - "Apparently it's really difficult to earn your trust!" Really? How about, "I'm very sorry for calling you a whore, for acting like a pompous ass, for throwing a hissy fit over you getting with another guy when it's my fault we broke up in the first place because I cheated on you"? Fucking apologize, dude. At least this time, Eli's "grand gesture" was something helpful, a paycheck and some baby classes. Whatever. Just put them back together and leave me alone.

• Love 3

Oh, that was bad.  I mean, I realize that Degrassi is typically uneven and often a thinly veiled PSA but, agreed, they really dropped the ball on Eli's bipolarity.  I mean, maybe they'll elaborate on Eli's "irrationality."  

I've actually been wondering for the last few episodes if Eli's behavior is meant to imply that he's off his meds or needs to have his meds recalibrated. That nasty rant seemed more like the Eli of his first couple of seasons (before his diagnosis and then when he stopped taking his meds) than how he's been in recent years. And then when he heard it was his baby, he was acting kind of manic.

As for Miles starting the fire... I mean, I get it and everything but I kinda wish someone else had been behind it, or that it was an accident. Plus, having Maya involved was almost a carbon copy of the hit and run incident, which was only a few episodes ago. Only difference is that this time, neither of them seemed at all affected by or concerned about what they did, which was incredibly weird.

I interpreted the fire as an accident. It seemed like Miles only meant to burn the poster he was holding but dropped it as a reflex when the flame reached his hand and it hit the other papers and spread. I don't think he was trying to set the school on fire. Anyway, I guess we'll see next season whether there are consequences.

I'm surprised Zig didn't freak out when Zoe told him everyone would be better off without her, especially after what happened on the bus last season (when he got her to not overdose on drugs).

And also especially after Cam committed suicide after Zig told him Maya would be better off without him.

How much longer is this school year going to drag on? Just let the seniors graduate already.

• Love 3

So, Imogen was the one to tell Eli about the baby's true parentage.  Okay, Eli is her friend, Clare wasn't going to do it, and perhaps Alli has enough sense not to try (questionable, given how quickly she gave up the info to Dallas), and the mutual dislike between Drew and Eli is strong enough that I can't imagine Drew, even spitefully, seeking Eli out.

But she said she knew because she'd overheard it.  Was there actually a point where we were shown that happening?

• Love 2

But she said she knew because she'd overheard it.  Was there actually a point where we were shown that happening?

No, but didn't Drew yell at Clare in a crowded hallway when he found out he wasn't the father?

No, but didn't Drew yell at Clare in a crowded hallway when he found out he wasn't the father?

I honestly don't remember or really care.  If that was the case, could they have stuck Immie in the background?

I don't know, that's a level of subtlety I shouldn't really expect from this show.

• Love 2