Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Ship: Book vs TV Talk

I'm puzzled as to why they purchased the rights to the book instead of just making an original concept. The book starts out with a full scale nuclear war and gets even more depressing from there. It looks like the only thing this show has in common is that there is a ship, and that's it. This feels more like the movie World War Z, without zombies.

Whatever. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic themes, so I'll be watching.

• Love 1

I saw the trailer a year ago ( or so it seems) and I am super excited to see this. I was going to get the book,but when I read the reviews,they sounded nothing like the show. The show looks great, and I love the main actors.

(edited)

I still think they should have made the ship larger, cruiser or frigate, something with nuclear power at least.  Otherwise, they should be running out of fuel frequently. And since they are returning from Antarctica and probably headed back to the continental US, the ship will be out of fuel in the first episode.

The ship in 'The Last Ship' appears to be an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer which only has a range of 4400 nautical miles, and its 6000-7000 miles from Antarctica to Hawaii (for example), so unless they manage to pick up a fleet oiler on their travels, they should be spending the bulk of Episode 1 bobbing around the South Pacific (since they had to spend fuel getting to Antarctica in the first place, and also burn fuel to keep the lights on and keep things warm for 4 months).

And I doubt they were refueled while in the Antarctic area, because if they had they would already know about the outbreak.

I still don't buy the whole completely cutoff from the rest of civilization for four months -- McMurdo base in Antarctica wouldn't be that far away, and yet they still manage to maintain contact with the outside world, including Internet access.  Unless they was a reason for them to maintain silence, some secret mission or whatever.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

The book may be outdated but the premise sounds more intense than the television series. We shall see. 

"The adaptation varies significantly from the original novel. In addition to being set in the early part of the first half of the 21st century, the world wide devastation of mankind is the result of a pandemic for which the crew must find a cure and not the result of nuclear warfare between superpowers." Wiki

I think the only actor I know is Adam Baldwin. I liked him  on " Chuck". 

Adam Baldwin is always fun, so that might mean it's not as depressing as The Last Resort. And it looks like it might not be as ridiculous as Helix--but that's not a good thing if it's not worth watching for anything other than snark. I'll give it a go.

Here's a trailer:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3054413337/

The Last Resort! I was trying to remember the name of that cancelled show. Thanks for the clip.

• Love 1

I know little to nothing about everyone and book except Adam Baldwin.  Loved him in Firefly, loved him in Chuck and he's the reason I'm going to give this a shot.  I just watched the trailer, though, I like what I see, so hopefully it will be really good and we'll have a new series to watch.

• Love 1
(edited)

I haven't bothered to learn anyone's names yet, but to the girl and guy having Romantical Problems: he was being a douche and dickhead and I'm glad she wouldn't let him pawn off his bullshit on her. There are other fish in the sea, honey! Surely there's someone else on that ship you could hook up with.

From an episode thread.

That finally brought the book back into focus some decades after reading. The major plot seemed to be that the few female sailors were going to be responsible for repopulating the world and saving the human race but everybody seemed to be sterile as all 150 something men got their shot at fatherhood with the twenty something women, for the sake of humanity.

Edited by Raja

I read the book. When The Last Resort debuted, I thought THAT might be based on the novel. Now I guess this is -- sort of. The main thing I remember from the book are how the females had to sleep with six or so men for it to be "fair" since they were so outnumbered (and how the male writer didn't really deal much with their feelings about that, except to say they were A-OK! with it), and the hot sex between the male captain and female lead (XO maybe?) when they were violating the "share" rule (they were supposed to have opted out of sex at all because they were the leaders). Oh, and some couple fell in love and tried to escape together, and died. 

I can't remember how it ended.

Given the description here, I'm glad the show isn't following the book.  What is similar to gang rape for the sake of procreation would be really hard to watch.  Since I now have no intention of reading the book how DOES it end?  I think it would be harder to survive nuclear winter than a pandemic. 

A few Soviets, from a surviving submarine were able to father children after all the U S sailors failed. They ended up trying to outlast nuclear winter at the Antarctic research station

The Nathan James is destroyed in a nuclear accident (that might have been sabotage). The remaining crew team up with a Russian sub and they head to Antarctica to perpetuate the human race. 

But the book is so grim, I was left wondering why the hell they would want to do that.

Gosh I'm glad I didn't waste hours reading that.  Thanks people.  On the Beach had a pretty downer ending too.  I think most of the nuclear apocalypse books/movies did since I think at the time we were trying to discourage the US and Soviet Union from taking it that far.  It is so funny that we went from feeling WWIII was eminent to feeling pretty secure THAT isn't going to get us but some super bug WILL.  I wonder what people 50 years from now will think is going to get us for sure.

The book was from the same period that gave us Testament in the theatre and The Day After on TV . The cover gave the false impression that ir was a techno thriller in the Clancy mode. The publisher wanting money had a different ideal than the author