Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

Nathan Fillion @NathanFillion  ·

Castle fans, take a deep breath. Now is the time to relax, and rejoice! Season 8 is nigh!

Here, here!  May the fandom drama finally be over.  For now. ;)

I think Nathan has live tweeted more than once this season.  No idea if they would put such a small thing into the contract, especially for a long running show where social media mentions may not matter much, but I imagine if the network or the showrunner asks him to do it, he would kindly oblige.  Whether or not people enjoy his style of live tweeting, it is good that he does it and in his personal time.  Cool that he also remembers to make good on live tweets that he couldn't do in the past.

Verdana, it's actually become a turn off whenever Marlowe mentions "fun" in his interviews.

I realise humor is very subjective but I rarely find what he thinks funny makes me laugh. May be uses the word out of habit these days without realising that it's not appropriate in many cases. I can't decide which is worse hearing about the latest "mythology" or being told what "fun" things they have in store for the characters.

Marlowe said he's sitting in jail, which I find interesting considering he probably could be out on bail before a trial. Unless he didn't get bail due to his charges? But if so, I would think he can afford it. 

I would like them to clear this up at some point, a quick mention would be fine to set things straight if they don't want to go any further with it. 

(edited)

I don't think with an established show like Castle that they force the actors to do it. They may ask (much like recording a DVD commentary), but it's their choice to say yes or no and I doubt it's a contract stipulation. I do think it's strongly encouraged or may be a requirement now of newer shows trying to find an audience. I seem to remember Clark Gregg saying something to that effect when AoS first started.

Edited by S55

Spoiler Room: Scoop on Once, Bates Motel, Castle and more at EW

I'm so glad that Castle has been renewed, but what about Stana Katic? Will she return next season? — Brynn
I hear they’re still in negotiations on that front. As for Beckett in the finale, she’ll be supporting Castle on the case that brings up those traumatic childhood memories, but she’ll also have some stuff to deal with in terms of her career. “Beckett has been looking for something more,” executive producer Terri Miller says. “So she’s presented with those options and she’s going to have to make a decision about what she’s going to do based on those options that come to her.” In other words, while Castle remembers the past, Beckett will have to choose her future.

Okay that's suitably vague and sounds like a repeat of what they've already been hinting at. 

99% of the time talents doesn't do anything (besides their charities) that they're not contractually obligated to do and/or get paid for. I know Shonda runs a tight ship with her shows and that cast of Scandal live tweet until the fingers fall off. It may even be the networks doing. But I can promise you, with all my heart, that talent never does anything for free. They are busy people with long shooting schedules and a can guarantee when they walk off set they are the fuck over their shows. I love what I do - but when I get a rare day off I don't want to get paged from my practice and be on the phone with the hospital at 3am. And I make a whole lot less than they do.

My point is that I completely understand if these live tweeting things are in their contracts.

Schedule Spitball: Predicting the Networks’ Fall Lineups at Variety.

After strengthening the Thursday 10 p.m. hour last fall with “How to Get Away With Murder,” a priority for ABC this fall is to bolster the final hour of primetime on other nights.  “Quantico” and “Wicked City,” both of which should have some male appeal, would be good fits to close Tuesday and Wednesday. And though “Castle” is heading into the homestretch of its run, it’s more important that ABC establish stronger Tuesday and Wednesday 10 p.m. dramas, so the long-running mystery series stays put on Monday for now.

So it's still Castle Monday then, I've heard rumors that it might get moved by quite a few.

RIght one hands down. But hopefully he'll look even better with hair gelled and in a tux at the dinner.  

The left one is for when Milmar want to transition Castle into serious literature. ;)

"Unconventional cliffhanger"?   As long as it doesn't result in "fairly traumatic memories" for viewers. ;)  Why does there need to be a cliffhanger in a finale?  That's old fashioned TV thinking.

Unfortunately, the latest example of "unconventional cliffhanger" for Castle viewers was that damnable 623, where the antic played-for-laughs movement of most of the episode was thrown over the cliff for the fiery tragic ending.  This does not give me confidence.

This girl must be up day and night posting Castle related things. If you want the DVD you can now sign up for it apparently, I think I'll take a pass, last bought the DVD set back in S4. 

Sandra knows best © ‏@Sandraxf  8 hrs8 hours ago
You can now sign up to be notified when #Castle S7 on DVD becomes available on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Castle-The-Complete-Seventh-Season/dp/B00X797N9C/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1431208376&sr=8-7&keywords=Castle+7+dvd

Hmmmm, why do I sense that cover they have on there is a photo shop? Although I suppose it could be a temporary one.

The left one is for when Milmar want to transition Castle into serious literature. ;)

"Unconventional cliffhanger"?   As long as it doesn't result in "fairly traumatic memories" for viewers. ;)  Why does there need to be a cliffhanger in a finale?  That's old fashioned TV thinking.

Heh, aaah yes how could I forget TIme Will Tell that MilMar gem.  I sense the seeds planted there about Castle and Kate (politics) will be coming back to haunt us soon(ish) in the case of the latter. 

Completely agree about how unnecessary in this day and age it is to have cliffhangers. The idea your fanbase will leave if you don't have one to tempt them in to watching the following season is silly and short sighted. Unfortunately MilMar are the very essence of old fashioned TV in every conceivable way so I'm not surprised they're addicted to them and feel it's a necessity to put their fans through some drama (even at Christmas this season). I can only hope whatever drama they think up this time is a damn sight better than the wretched soap opera ending we got last season and leaves this couple in a relatively good place over the summer. 

Posting the article about Hawley joining from Variety:

‘Castle’ Sets New Season 8 Showrunners; Stana Katic Still Unconfirmed

Hmmmm, why do I sense that cover they have on there is a photo shop? Although I suppose it could be a temporary one.

I doubt is temporary. They don't usually do that on Amazon. But I think it's cute. Definitely a step above the she's got her arms around him from behind / giant headshot thing they've been rocking for the last the seasons.

I don't know. Every other year when early place-holder key art is up for the DVDs, it has always, without fail, ended up being the cover for the set.

Maybe it's different this year. But I doubt it.  :-)

(edited)

I doubt is temporary. They don't usually do that on Amazon. But I think it's cute. Definitely a step above the she's got her arms around him from behind / giant headshot thing they've been rocking for the last the seasons.

Oh yeah it's better that that. Time for a change. 

Now that S8 has been confirmed I wonder if they'll do a promo shoot like they used to do? I know they didn't do one this season which gave rise to suggestions ABC were going to cancel the show but then others said a lot of shows didn't have them.  If they do it'll be interesting to see what the theme will be. 

Edited by verdana

Michael Dorn @akaWorf  ·  13 hrs 13 hours ago

The people are speaking @Castle_ABC  

Catherine Hassall @cathassall

@akaWorf something that results in Castle & Beckett needing to see Dr Burke hopefully! ;)

Pity Dr Burke had such a poor episode to appear in this season. 

Pity Dr Burke had such a poor episode to appear in this season. 

At least he got to speak unlike Jim Beckett at the wedding, heh. 

• Love 1
(edited)

At least he got to speak unlike Jim Beckett at the wedding, heh. 

Poor guy didn't get to speak but he did get to drink! ;)

OT: Been watching Madam Secretary.  Good show and an old Castle writer, David Grae, is on it.  The lead character has gotten PTSD.  Imagine my shock when it lasted more than 1 episode. ;)  I've liked how they've handled it there more than how they did it on Castle.  Nice female therapist character there as well so it'll be interesting to see if she gets more to do than Burke ever did.  That show is also writing a solid married couple well.

I'm hoping with new contracts signed, we actually get a tad more in the promotion department next season though I'm not holding my breath.  A new photoshoot would be a good start.

Edited by madmaverick

Yep pretty much a rehash of the other interviews (because they obviously came from the same roundtable interview). My final guess would be she'll get a chance to run a task force (which a lot of people have speculated) that way you can cover the bases if Stana and the others don't return. Plus it could then lead into the politics *ugh* which MilMar were talking about - though of course Hawley and TPW might choose to take everyone down a completely different route now.

though of course Hawley and TPW might choose to take everyone down a completely different route now.

I'm praying fervently that's the case and they will quietly drop any political aspirations for Kate Beckett which MilMar (if they do stay BTS) based on their interviews would certainly wish to promote.  

Yeah. I have no problem with them bringing back Bracken that I agree with.

I did notice the little spiels for the finale state that the crossroads thing for Beckett are now being called a problem. Eh that screams getting into trouble at work and we want to reassign you.

Seamus Dever @seamusdever  ·  27m 27 minutes ago

Seamus Dever retweeted Mitchell Fink

A "Blast" Mitchell? Spoiler alert... Seamus Dever added,

Mitchell Fink @themitchellfink

I’ll be on @Castle_ABC tonight.  I had a blast working on this one.  Check it out

I think Seamus was the one doing the spoiling if true!  Did they blow up the remainder of the budget in the finale? ;)

Castle bosses: Finale will focus on Castle's psyche

From EW.  Better than US Weekly at least. ;) 

'Really compelling storyteling' is the new 'mythology'!

So Marlowe believes they've written Beckett's career storyline in a 'subtle but powerful' way?  OK then.  Lol.  Hate to know what their version of unsubtle is.  And lol at them saying they didn't want to bring in too much new stuff for secondary characters with the show's future then up in the air.  Um, when do they bring in much new stuff for the secondary characters normally anyway?

I'm afraid for Castle's psyche in Marlowe's hands.  Hopefully Miller's hand in this delivers on the Caskett at least.  

I won't be missing Marlowe's Castle interviews if this is his least.  Let's hope the new showrunners are better at making their show sound 'compelling' heh.  Actually, I would settle for fun and interesting. ;)

(edited)

Thanks but the link didn't work for me madmaverick so here it is again.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/11/castle-bosses-finale-will-focus-castles-psyche

Marlowe is about as subtle as a brick, I'm still rubbing my head from the anvils hurled about her career that they've thrown about towards the latter stages of the season but powerful and compelling storytelling....nah.

As for his comments about not wanting to bring in new stuff for the secondary cast... when you listen to Marlowe I do wonder how the hell he became a TV writer, he doesn't seem to have much creative nous or imagination. *sigh*  

As for this: 

Will we get more information about Castle’s time away?
Marlowe: We feel like we did a pretty good job answering a lot of those questions in [episode] 20. There are some things that we’d like to return to in terms of his time away. Although we got some answers, there are still a lot of bigger questions hanging out there and we think that there’s some great storytelling to be had there. But that’s not really where we’re going in the finale. In the finale it really is about digging deeper into Castle’s character and peeling back the layers there to expose some new and compelling stuff that will give some fans some real insight into where he came from.

It's when I read things like this I wonder was I watching the same episode he was? What questions did they answer about his actual disappearance during those months? They obviously didn't have a clue what to do with this Castle "mythology" and worked their way backwards trying to think of something plausible to account for what happened and failed miserably. There is zero "good storytelling" involved here. One bit of advice to the new showrunners DON'T revisit this subject, because I fear if they try to clear up any of the queries it's going to get even more nonsensical. Also, for some fans this mythology only serves to remind them of the botched wedding why do that? It's also perhaps more importantly proven a ratings dud so quite why you would want to go back and revisit it I have no idea, it needs to be buried permanently. 

If Marlowe does leave I will not miss his interviews one bit, they're very poor at promoting the show in a truly "compelling" way. I hope Hawley has a better grasp of PR and Winter seems a low key guy, looking forward to hearing their take on Castle in S8. 

Edited by verdana

Yeah, Marlowe is the worst interviewer of all the showrunners and writers I've ever heard or read. No genuineness, never an honest observation or an interesting thought, just rehashing his own clichés, boring turns of phrase and tropes that were already old when he learned how to spell. Same goes for his DVD commentaries. It just feels like he's sleepwalking through it, or it's such a painful experience for him that he puts on some mental shield that shows nothing real to the outside.

I wouldn't complain about it if his output at least shown him as a true creative, because not everyone can be entertaining and clever when put on the spot (certainly not me). But he's the one writer of the team from whom I came to expect the most convoluted and cringeworthy stories, and his overall showrunning leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

And it's not just his manner, because I can't get past what I see as some kind of clueless obnoxiousness, when he says stuff like "no development for secondary cast", or admits that they can't write for both main characters at the same time and someone has to be a furniture. He says it like it's an obvious, natural, widely understood thing that it's impossible to do, and we should be grateful for all the hard work he does anyway. I never get if he's trolling saying it like that, or if he's truly clueless and doesn't watch TV to think that several storylines going at once and development of more than one character is something unheard of.

I'm not gonna be able to watch the finale today, and guess I will check the feedback first so I won't unknowingly plump right in the middle of something resembling last year's finale or Sleeper. I really hope that Alexi Howley and TPW are not going to carry on this bombastic high-stakes/low IQ tradition and will focus on more castlesque things.

• Love 3

Is Marlowe trolling fans? I mean, he must have paid some attention to the fan reaction to that episode and know that people didn't think we got decent answers.

Why does Terri say things like, "I'm curious how Beckett will react to this." She wrote the episode, she not only knows what will happen, she decided what happens. She said something like this in another interview about wanting to know if the time traveler will be right.

(edited)

Is Marlowe trolling fans?

Um. Yes? He's said it before, he's basically ripping off Bones. Why wouldn't he rip off Hart Hansen's patented screw the viewer looka me interviews and 'spoilers'? It's all a dance.

Also, ABC has confirmed Stana Katic is back. Now it just remains to see if all the waffle from Marlowe et ux about next season comes from a position of having nothing to do with next season.

Edited by Julia

Now Castle has been officially renewed I'm not sure where further comings and goings should be placed so I've posted this on the renewal thread too.

Amanda Johns @ajohns366  ·  17m 17 minutes ago
To our amazing Castle fans: thanks for a great year! I'm sure S8 will cont. to be fantastic, but I will be moving on. TY for watching!

Its amazing the egos of some show runners like Marlowe, Lorre, Hampton or Rhymes. They come off thinking they know better than anyone and then either don't admit that things didn't work out as they planned or they just don't want to try and write "good stories" or character development. I mean it was like with Espo in the finale, he still was doubting Castle after working together for 7 years. Having a body double that broke into police HQ. Impersonated his then girlfriend, tried to kill Castle and his long time friend. Yet he still goes: "Come on, Castle is a moron!" Its call not caring because you know you are in charge and the fans can go jump in the lake. It gets old but it will continue to play with whatever show Marlowe and those like him are running. I'm happy Stanna is back but I agree, season 8 should be it for everyone. 

(edited)

I'm no longer surprised by their ego's given how much sucking up and eulogising that occurs, it's embarrassing to witness sometimes. Having that much fawning going on from almost everyone you meet every day must change your outlook, I can imagine them filtering out any "negative" criticism and going on their merry way convinced of their genius and inability to make mistakes. It would have been nice if just once Marlowe had admitted "yeah I messed up sorry about that" it would have made him appear more human and less like a robot. 

Edited by verdana

So the writers we still don't know about are Adler, Frost and Roum? Any insight to share from your sources, Nadine? ;) 

I have to admit I'm really glad they are cleaning house though. 

So the writers we still don't know about are Adler, Frost and Roum? Any insight to share from your sources, Nadine? ;) 

I have to admit I'm really glad they are cleaning house though. 

Yeah they need a clear out. 

Here's the full list of writers from Season 7 and the comings and goings so far:

Jim Adler - staying

David Amman - leaving 

Chad Creasey - staying

Dara Creasey - leaving

Amanda Johns - leaving

Adam Frost - staying 

Rob Hanning - staying 

Andrew Marlowe - leaving

Terri Miller - leaving

Christine Roum - ?

Terence Paul Winter - new showrunner 

Incoming:

Alexi Hawley

Adam Frost @Afrostbite23  ·  13 hrs 13 hours ago

@77rocket yes I am! Bring on season 8!!!

Robert Hanning @RobHanning  ·  May 12

Robert Hanning retweeted Helena. (-35)

Yes I will be back at Castle. Someone has to be there to remind  @OldManWinter14 where he came from.

Sorry I don't have any info on the new writers coming in except for what verdana's posted above. If any get added to Studio System (before they're announced on Twitter, I'll pass them along).

(edited)

I wish Christine Boylan would come back now that Constantine is cancelled. I liked her episodes, and we need more women on the staff!!

Alexi worked with quite a few female writers on The Following, so he might be able to poach some of them (the ones that don't have a contract with WB that is).

Edited by Nadine
  • Love 1

I don't know if anyone who wrote for The Following is someone that would be good for Castle. That show started out great, but then got pretty awful.

Yeah that's what I heard too based on reading the odd report here and there, it went downhill after the first season and never recovered. 

Yeah that's what I heard too based on reading the odd report here and there, it went downhill after the first season and never recovered.

To be fair to the show, the premise made it really, really hard to continue for multiple seasons without making your villains all powerful and your heroes idiots. But I think they could have done slightly better at it.

Castle's premise is easy to go on for awhile.