Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

Per Rob Kyker's latest tweet, episode 8.05 was written by Nancy Kiu and shall be directed by Bill Roe. 

Newbie writer again. Still wondering about Hanning. 

Total spec by me - but I'd have money on TPW, AH and Hanning writing the Sweeps episodes (four episodes if no preemptions). Regardless the senior writers will get those episodes (so you can throw Roum and Adler in there as possibilities).

Edited by Nadine

"How do we deepen that love story?" Maybe Caskett get to have sex

Heh, nah that's only happens on public holidays and possibly during sweeps.

What challenges can we put their way that can put their romance at a much higher, different place?"

All they needed to do to put their romance on to a much higher plane was to quit with the obvious avoidance tactics they use which cause separations between them, that would make a big difference. I find it amusing that they keep talking about Castle and Beckett as if they're the centre of the show but do absolutely nothing to back that up on screen and in fact give me the exact opposite impression.

Although the article is a rehash reading it again, the writers like many showrunners seem terrified of fans short attention spans these days so they're allowed to be happy for about all of five minutes before they have to have an obstacle hurled their way to overcome in suitably painful fashion. They're certainly going to be in a "different place" by the sounds of it if you believe the Ausiello blind but will it be satisfying watching them strive to get there? Hmmmm.

Edited by verdana
I think the Ryan baby is the show runners polite way of telling fans who are expecting a Caskett baby this season to "suck it!! -- we ain't doing 2 babies in one season"

They may well have no choice if things go down the toilet with the other stories they have planned, that's their last big Caskett card to play. 

Edited by verdana

They may well have no choice if things go down the toilet with the other stories they have planned, that's their last big Caskett card to play. 

If it gets that bad, I think, and I hate to say it to all the devoted fans, but I can see ABC just cancelling the show rather than pull a rabbit out of the hat since the ratings are not as good as they once were to start with, it is already in syndication, and is an old show. I can see C/B slapped back together, but no kids, if it does end.

I wonder if the plan is to forge ahead regardless with their stories for the season or are they prepared to think on their feet if it all goes pear shaped?? Like Wendy said -- it's an old show and do they really have that much to lose now....either it works and carries on or it doesn't and ABC can just rationalise that an 8 year run from any show these days is a pretty good thing?!? I think they are less likely to adapt given the show's age but I could be wrong.

Edited by BellyLaughter

Isn't 7 or 8 episodes filmed/written by the time the audience views the season opener? There is no changing their choice (of breaking them up) in any case. Maybe a huge drop in ratings would accelerate their plans, but I imagine it won't change much.

"Castle fans: what are your favorite moments in Castle history? #thattimewhen..." https://twitter.com/michalzebede/status/636681535236632576 

This tweet from Michal gives me some hope that they may try to change course now. By some, I mean like a tiny grain of sand hope. Usually when questions like that are asked we've seen changes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The TVGuide article was a big click bait article, everything on there I've read already either on their site or from others mentioned at TCA. How Ryan can afford another child when we've never seen his first is beyond me. But maybe he'll be moonlighting for Castle the P.I.? 

They're on day six of 8.04, if you average it out at 8 days filming per episode they'll be wrapping up 8.06 when the premiere airs. If they do decide to be proactive and make a course correction we're not going to see anything for a good while yet and it may be too late by then to make much difference in any case.

That article has me thinking it may not be so bad. If this plays out as them wanting to be together, but are being forced apart, and have to overcome this threat to return to each other....it could be interesting. Especially if we get a good reunion. It could also suck, but I'm going to withhold judgement until it airs.

• Love 1

Not specifically Castle, but it certainly fits the category.

From "Five Television Shows They Will Never Stop Making" by Linda Holmes [a wickedly clever TWOPper, as I recall] on NPR.org: 

"1. The Adventures Of Mr. Superabilities And Detective Ladyskeptic. This is a drama series in which a sometimes mysterious, often super-confident but emotionally messy man who is oddly gifted in some way teams up with a more intellectual, buttoned-up, unconvinced woman who has had to prove her toughness and competence and is not prepared to take any guff from this guy or be impressed by his derring-do. She is not always a detective. She is very good at what she does also, but what she does is way more boring. 'This isn't a game, Superabilities!' she says at some point, right before he pulls a rose out from behind her ear. She tears up and says, 'My dad used to do that.' Eventually, they will become allies. They may or may not kiss. At some point, they will have to go undercover and she will have to wear a fancy dress."

• Love 6

We never see the 1st baby so who gives a fuck about another one? Unless they plan on using a dramatic way to deliver it like the 1st? 

Anyone here watch Murder In The First? That show [in season 2] balanced 3 different major arc w. a dozen characters + and did so in a 12 episode season. My point being that Marlowe & Co. had no excuse in not telling a Castle/Beckett backstory [or that word they love using: mythology]. Hell, they could have told some side stories w. the supporting characters as well. Just my opinion. {Shrugs} 

Edited by Samantha84
  • Love 4
Anyone here watch Murder In The First? That show [in season 2] balanced 3 different major arc w. a dozen characters + and did so in a 12 episode season.

I started watching at episode 3 this season and I got interested right away. The writers did a good job keeping the 3 storylines going especially the continuity with the police union loan corruption arc. You knew the cop brother was somehow involved, but it was sad when revealed how he betrayed his sister and the rest of the detective team in the squad during the case resolution in the finale. The Castle writers could learn from that kind of storytelling rather than what looks like the mess that might be coming with the 'NoCaskett' season in the fall.

Edited by VinceW
(edited)

LOL

Jon_Huertas: Thanks 2 @designandtrend , I just found out @seamusdever & I are having a baby!!! #maternityshopping http://www.designntrend.com/articles/59716/20150827/castle-season-8-spoilers-esposito-ryans-new-baby-cause-relationship.htm

CleverDever: But you're glowing @Jon_Huertas!  https://twitter.com/jon_huertas/status/637135798253424641

The upcoming eighth season of "Castle" will introduce a new twist in the personal and professional lives of Ryan (Seamus Dever) and Esposito (Jon Huertas).

In an interview with TV Guide, co-showrunners Terence Paul Winter and Alexi Hawley confirmed that the couple will have a baby. However, their bundle of joy will help Ryan realize that they need to work harder for their future.

"Ultimately, that's going to make Ryan even more paranoid and more excited about trying to make more money. When he sees Beckett (Stana Katic) rising up in the ranks, the boys realize it's time for them to start looking at their futures, which is going to create some tension between them," they said.

Meanwhile, it is uncertain whether or not Ryan and Esposito's baby will be the only new child in "Castle" season 8.

And somehow the show got onto Buzzfeed community's underrated list.

Edited by turnitwayup

We never see the 1st baby so who gives a fuck about another one? Unless they plan on using a dramatic way to deliver it like the 1st? 

Heh. Alexis will probably be on hand to help with the delivery having picked up some helpful doctoring hints from Lanie. 

• Love 1

Meanwhile, it is uncertain whether or not Ryan and Esposito's baby will be the only new child in "Castle" season 8.

I've got to admit this sort of gets my interest up for the new season. I'm really curious which one of the 2 (Ryan or Esposito) gets pregnant. Hell I completely missed the fact that they are a couple.

• Love 1

That might be a fun episode, and would tie in with Seamus' comment about he and Jon being more front and center this season. 

They apparently have filmed at the California State University for three days for this ep, which is where those BTS pics were taken, and Stana was there the same day as the boyz. Chad Creasey has hinted that something might get blown up, and most intriguing of all is that Stana seems to have a "boxing double", not a "stunt double",  assigned to her for this ep.

Don't mind Ryan and Espo getting a few more original lines to say but if they become more front and centre at the expense of Beckett and Castle that's not the show I signed up for.

Toks Olagundoye ‏@ToksOlagundoye  2 hrs2 hours ago

Those who missed yesterday's  "events" won't get this, but to those who do #AllAboard #FunBus image by @angelcosta78

https://twitter.com/ToksOlagundoye/status/637306314914328576

Okay yeah I'm owning up to missing yesterday's "events" I take it she got more unpleasant tweets? Safe to say that sadly she can expect a heavy diet of them from about mid September onwards. 

Edited by verdana

Spoilers from EW:

Hi! Any scoop about Castle? — Fred
We’re finally going to learn more about Castle’s missing time — and it appears to be way more important than even I could’ve guessed. “This year, we really do want to get into what happened when he was gone in a way that hopefully ties a lot of the threads of mysteries of seven seasons together in an unexpected and exciting way,” says EP Alexi Hawley.

The eye roll this induced was epic! Matched only by the laughter at some, on Twitter, tweeting in response: "Castle is Jack Bauer now, saving the world one episode at a time"

I've got to admit this sort of gets my interest up for the new season. I'm really curious which one of the 2 (Ryan or Esposito) gets pregnant. Hell I completely missed the fact that they are a couple.

Wha!? When did that happen? I thought that one of them were married.

And a good one it was, LOL.  The twistiest twist of them all!  Secret love child?  Or alien child?  Ryan's "found himself" and realised Javi's the one he really wants to be with and have a family with.  Esposito wants a child of his own and Jenny's the surrogate seeing how they are "family" and all.  Ryan's shooting blanks and Esposito's stepping in as donor.  Ah, all the soap opera permutations.  All happening off screen of course till one day we see the baby!

Those clickbait sites are so pathetic and obvious, and yet people continue to click on them for some reason.  Why would anyone click on some article about Castle from a source such as that that has nothing to do with TV whatsoever?  You don't click on something just because it's there. 

Okay yeah I'm owning up to missing yesterday's "events" I take it she got more unpleasant tweets?

Oh, you meant tweets like these? ;)  The audacity, the rudeness of people... nothing new for social media of course.  Not sure engaging with them changes anything, but ignoring them probably won't change behaviour either.  What I find concerning is that there seem to be a lot of angry people out there with anger management issues on the internet, and I can only hope they don't harm others in real life.

Stanatic Pride @0odi_et_amo0
@ToksOlagundoye You are here to promote #Castle!
Nothing Castle Nothing follows!
So shut up and learn gratitude and good manners! 

Funny thing is that she references kindness in her bio which left me a bit puzzled.

She and others need to take on Susan's on point advice as usual.

Susan Sullivan ‏@realssullivan  
Be kind to yourself and others #unsolicitedadvice

Well, you can't say they aren't being ambitious heh.  Not saying it's a bad thing.  Wonder if there's some unintentional diss there about how Marlowe & Amann mishandled that storyline last season.  Bringing back Bracken, Castle's disappearance, and a break-up, they're biting off a lot!  Hope they don't forget about the intimate kind of character scenes that breathe life into characters and relationships, even though they may not be the most dramatic or exciting scenes for the writers.

Not to say that Castle should be Jack Bauer (or Beckett or anyone on the show for that matter because I'm not a big fan of that brand of 'badassness'), but wasn't Indiana Jones just an archaeology professor to start with? ;)

"Castle fans: what are your favorite moments in Castle history? #thattimewhen..." https://twitter.com/...81535236632576
This tweet from Michal gives me some hope that they may try to change course now. By some, I mean like a tiny grain of sand hope. Usually when questions like that are asked we've seen changes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Not to crush your tiny grain of sand :P, but I don't really think writers make changes from feedback online.  Except maybe in the case of Pi and the ugly wedding dress.   But there was a lot of feedback about wanting more physical intimacy between Caskett after they got together and wanting the interrupted kisses to stop, and what I recall from Marlowe & co. was that they deserved their privacy and that they didn't kiss like cousins or something like that.  So I always think the writers are going to do what they're going to do.  Maybe the new writer was just looking to be inspired by past fan faves on the show.  Good thing to get an idea of what's worked with fans in the past.  

ETA: The Ferrari is making an appearance on set today.  Wonder who'll be driving.  Probably  Ryan & Espo. ;)

Edited by madmaverick

Wha!? When did that happen? I thought that one of them were married.

I'm pretty sure that was a joke.  :-)

and most likely an entire sub-genre of fan fiction.

• Love 2
ETA: The Ferrari is making an appearance on set today.  Wonder who'll be driving.  Probably  Ryan & Espo.

Since they're keen on bringing old faces back may be it's Jacinda....

As for Castle's missing time, I'm past caring at this stage, after the ridiculous line from Beckett about him saving the world (delivered with suitable aplomb by Stana) I can't take anything about his disappearance remotely seriously. 

It does seem as if they're tackling a lot and given that they don't seem that adept at dealing with multiple storylines I fear it's either going to turn into an unholy mess or most of it is going to end up getting dropped for long periods of time as usual. They've said a lot of things in the past they intend to delve into and it either doesn't happen or the coverage is so superficial it's hardly worth the effort. 

• Love 1

“This year, we really do want to get into what happened when he was gone in a way that hopefully ties a lot of the threads of mysteries of seven seasons together in an unexpected and exciting way,” says EP Alexi Hawley.

While missing, Castle was actually working with his father, and now we'll find out his father was actually the bigger big bad pulling Bracken's strings and therefore responsible for Johanna Beckett's death?  That's the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the line about tying mysteries together.

Edited by KaveDweller
Ryan's "found himself" and realised Javi's the one he really wants to be with and have a family with.

They did say they wanted to shake things up this year.

Stanatic Pride @0odi_et_amo0
@ToksOlagundoye You are here to promote #Castle!
Nothing Castle Nothing follows!
So shut up and learn gratitude and good manners!

Wow, what is wrong with people? Someone just tweeted her that out of the blue?

Bringing back Bracken, Castle's disappearance, and a break-up, they're biting off a lot!

I suspect they  are going to start one storyline (like the breakup) then move on to another. That way they can leave the first one unresolved & ignored while they explore the next high stakes story. They could also have 2 separate stories going with Beckett & bipolar tech dude dealing with Bracken while Castle & his new sidekick (in her spare time when she's not mentoring Alexis of course) get to the bottom of his disappearance.

• Love 1

Wow, what is wrong with people? Someone just tweeted her that out of the blue?

Someone whose tagline on twitter is "Kindness is ... Revolutionary, Disarming and Contagious!"

Well, you can't say they aren't being ambitious heh.  Not saying it's a bad thing.  Wonder if there's some unintentional diss there about how Marlowe & Amann mishandled that storyline last season.  Bringing back Bracken, Castle's disappearance, and a break-up, they're biting off a lot!  Hope they don't forget about the intimate kind of character scenes that breathe life into characters and relationships, even though they may not be the most dramatic or exciting scenes for the writers.

Not to say that Castle should be Jack Bauer (or Beckett or anyone on the show for that matter because I'm not a big fan of that brand of 'badassness'), but wasn't Indiana Jones just an archaeology professor to start with? ;)

Not to crush your tiny grain of sand :P, but I don't really think writers make changes from feedback online.  Except maybe in the case of Pi and the ugly wedding dress.   But there was a lot of feedback about wanting more physical intimacy between Caskett after they got together and wanting the interrupted kisses to stop, and what I recall from Marlowe & co. was that they deserved their privacy and that they didn't kiss like cousins or something like that.  So I always think the writers are going to do what they're going to do.  Maybe the new writer was just looking to be inspired by past fan faves on the show.  Good thing to get an idea of what's worked with fans in the past.  

ETA: The Ferrari is making an appearance on set today.  Wonder who'll be driving.  Probably  Ryan & Espo. ;)

I know, I know!!! But who knows? lol

Someone whose tagline on twitter is "Kindness is ... Revolutionary, Disarming and Contagious!"

That was the cherry on top of the rudeness.  But then again, self-awareness is not always a strong point for people who vent and rage online.

I think there was more preamble to that drama but I didn't want to pollute more of our thread with it and it was all out of line anyway.

First chapter of Driving Heat: http://cdn.media.abc.com/m/images/shows/castle/pdf/Castle_Driving_Heat_Chapter_1.indd.pdf

Granted they're not literature, but I think these books may be getting better later in the series (as opposed to the show).  Since they often mirror the show's happenings, it only emphasises where the show fall shorts to me.  Yeah, I know, different mediums and all that, but what a great Heat/Rook scene to open the book! There was more sizzle and heat there than in most Castle episodes.  Fans would be over the moon if we got such a scene to open S8, and I don't really see why it's not feasible on the show.  Just a good opening chapter that engages readers with Heat/Rook in a good way and lays the groundwork for storylines going forward, without hitting us over with anvils.  I wish the book writer would come write an episode of Castle.

• Love 2

While missing, Castle was actually working with his father, and now we'll find out his father was actually the bigger big bad pulling Bracken's strings and therefore responsible for Johanna Beckett's death?  That's the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the line about tying mysteries together.

It sounds as if they might change Castle's back story from simply being a successful murder mystery writer and tie it in with previous story elements, may be make him a spy too all this time?

I always thought a jump the shark moment for Castle would be if he was found to be linked in any way with Johanna Beckett's murder, that would be too much to take. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Since he's not with Beckett any more he can drive now.

As long as he's not picking up any Jacindas!  No thanks for the reminder, Verdana. ;)

Glad to see they remember that Castle actually has a Ferrari.  Definitely several steps up from the Buick.  But I fear we may have to go back to that if they've blown their budget on the Ferrari and whatever else they're blowing up. 

While missing, Castle was actually working with his father, and now we'll find out his father was actually the bigger big bad pulling Bracken's strings and therefore responsible for Johanna Beckett's death?  That's the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the line about tying mysteries together.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do end up tying Castle and Beckett's season long mystery/conspiracy storylines together.  Don't shows love to do that with they mythologies? ;)  Castle's Dad being responsible for Beckett's Mom's murder isn't entirely impossible, and I think there have been fanfics and tv shows with that kind of storyline.  Makes me feel bad for the characters if that kind of terrible discovery has to be sown into the fabric of their family history.

If this were Alias, Bracken would turn out to be not so bad after all and Johanna Beckett comes back from the dead.  That would give Beckett storylines for a few more seasons. ;)

But there was a lot of feedback about wanting more physical intimacy between Caskett after they got together and wanting the interrupted kisses to stop, and what I recall from Marlowe & co. was that they deserved their privacy and that they didn't kiss like cousins or something like that.  So I always think the writers are going to do what they're going to do.

To be fair, it did feel like that got better in S7 as compared to S6, so maybe they listen a little bit? Or maybe we just got lucky.

Makes me feel bad for the characters if that kind of terrible discovery has to be sown into the fabric of their family history.

Oh I'm sure they'll have put it behind them fairly quickly knowing how this show deals with any serious drama that befalls them. 

• Love 1

It sounds as if they might change Castle's back story from simply being a successful murder mystery writer and tie it in with previous story elements, may be make him a spy too all this time?

There was a lot of speculation about this last season, and I was really glad they didn't go there.  Changing what has already been established like that would be jumping the shark.  But Castle's father was already established as a spy so they could really give him any kind of story history they want.  If they can get James Brolin back.

Stana said something about how this season will explore the cosmic reason for Beckett and Castle being together.  That could mean they are giving them some kind of connection from before we saw them meet and using their parents is an easy way to do that.

Regarding Castle's disappearance he seemed pretty settled on not looking into it anymore after Sleeper.  So, if they are exploring that, he must stumble in to some new memory or something.  Or he gets approached about it.

Regarding Castle's disappearance he seemed pretty settled on not looking into it anymore after Sleeper.  So, if they are exploring that, he must stumble in to some new memory or something.  Or he gets approached about it.

May be it's that woman who has was billed has having this unexpected history with Castle, I figure she's linked to spydaddy in some way and she could prompt him to remember something. However, may be oberon is right and they'll start the disappearance stuff up later in the season as a separate story arc although the new writers might be keen to prove themselves as having a very different approach to Marlowe and Amann in how they structure their storytelling. 

Love the sweet, funny, dorky onesies.  Normally I'm not one for 'nailed it' but it works here heh.

And excuse the OT, but how shiny is it that John Green has finally discovered Firefly?!  And asking about a S2. ;)

Hm... still dreaming of my hot Caskett S8 opening scene... ;)  It'll be interesting to see if and how the books parallel the aborted wedding/disappearance storyline from the show.  No doubt Heat/Rook will have their own obstacles leading up to the wedding, but will the author also choose to go where the show did (at his own peril)?  I thought the books handled Heat's career dilemma and the proposal much better than the show!  Sigh.

• Love 1
May be it's that woman who has was billed has having this unexpected history with Castle, I figure she's linked to spydaddy in some way and she could prompt him to remember something.

The woman tells him 'apples' and suddenly he remembers more (all).  Or the previous unbeknownst programming in his brain is activated.  Just kidding, I hope.  But they could really go anywhere with this.  Challenge is whether they can make it more interesting and compelling than what Marlowe/Amann did, despite their proclaimed excitement last hiatus about the new mythology, when in truth, they were shown to have no mythology planned at all.  That I could tell.  If they want this kind of storyline to be suspensful and compelling, they really need to plan well in advance about twists and turns and the characters have to react in character and not just be plot puppet.   Structured and emotional storytelling.  We need to care about the characters and not just be dumbstruck by the wtfs in the plot.  I'll be judging the quality and approaches soon enough with the opening two parter compared to Marlowe/Amann's unimpressive efforts last season.

To be fair, it did feel like that got better in S7 as compared to S6, so maybe they listen a little bit? Or maybe we just got lucky.

It did seem better in S7, but I don't know that that was down to them listening.  Did it have to take them two seasons to listen?  I'll be watching out for any more annoying interrupted kisses to see if things have really changed under the new regime.  But if there's a break up, we might be saved from even those! ;)  I think one reason they're pursuing the break up storyline is they want to generate more UST again.  If they don't capitalise on that with this storyline but just have them operating separately without interaction, it'll be another massive fail imo.  

• Love 1

From Matt's Inside Line at tvline.com:

Is there any Ryan/Esposito storyline coming up on Castle? I always love seeing more of Jon [Huertas] and Seamus [Dever]! —Marine
Co-showrunner Terence Paul Winter foresees “a very interesting story” ahead for the boys, in the wake of their colleague’s job change. “After seeing Beckett ascend the ranks, they’re realizing maybe it’s time for them to start looking upwards in their own careers,” Winter says. “In doing so, they start to butt heads a bit, but in a fun way, because the dynamic between those two has always been ‘two brothers.'”

Anything Caskett-related to share for Castle? –Mandy
You’re gonna really like the exclusive photo I’ll be running as part of TVLine’s Fall Preview Spectacular.

(edited)

Sneak peek of The Definiton of Love music video in the precinct. Lyrically it's less cheesy and a better beat than Jon's solo work. I'm kinda loling thinking about how they're gonna use the interrogation and break rooms. Kinda love that those stairs got club lighting. Also kinda relieved that Seamus isn't sporting a soul patch in the vid. (youtube version)

NathanFillion: Thank you, Wes Craven. You were giving, gracious, and abundantly kind. You will be missed.

WriteRCastle: We mourn the passing of a legend. You were scary good #WesCraven. Rest in Peace.

WriteRCastle: You were scary good, @WesCraven and you always inspired me to be better. Rest in Peace my friend.

Edited by turnitwayup

You’re gonna really like the exclusive photo I’ll be running as part of TVLine’s Fall Preview Spectacular.

I laughed at some asking Matt is it photoshop free.

Nathan Fillion, Castle, France 2, Interview Fillon did recently with TeleStar.

Edited by verdana

Will it be a version of Alexi Hawley's photo? Only time will tell.

I laughed at some asking Matt is it photoshop free.

Nathan Fillion, Castle, France 2, Interview Fillon did recently with TeleStar.

Oh dear, the first question and answer. Don't hide your feelings.