Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

Maybe now that Beckett is captain Luke will lighten up on the hyper-glamour wardrobe and bring some of the season 1 & 2 realism back. I'm not holding my breath on that though. 

That reassurance isn't going to mean diddly at the end of the day to some.

If she and Nathan sparkle in too many scenes together there's going to be trouble I can guarantee it.  Toks isn't out of the woods yet! 

Yeah I agree madmaverick forget issuing reassurances about this and that just let it be and fans can find out when the time comes.  I do like reading the spoilers but sometimes I wonder if it does more harm than good when I sit down to watch. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Looks like they were filming at an airport hangar yesterday.  For the plane?  The warehouse?  Sure wasn't for the nice sunset.

https://instagram.com/p/6EQG06wkua/?taken-by=natef209

And maybe there was some jumping out of a truck?

https://instagram.com/p/6FqTjJQkpK/?taken-by=natef209

2 parter might be quite action-packed.  Will be interesting to compare TPW/AH's episode of this kind to AM/DA's. 

That second picture is Nathan at the airport. Based on his girlfriend's posts today, I suspect he's off today and they're heading on a mini vacation (probably Hawaii where he takes all of them at least once during the relationship). 

• Love 2

Neither am I, S55.  Beckett's Captain's wardrobe was fine in the AU except I remember whatever she was wearing beneath her suit to be a bit too low neck because I could hardly see it. ;)  But that was a more reserved Beckett.  I'm sure Luke has a hyper glamorous wardrobe in mind for our Beckett.  Not only is she the the youngest to make Capt., she's the first to wear Burberry and stilettos to work every day! 

Yes, it is, verdana.  I doubt Castle will be even getting a new robe.   Certainly not an eye-wateringly expensive one that I remember Beckett wore for a lovely few seconds on screen.  There should be a fun contest.  Does Beckett have more variety in nightwear than Castle does in his outerwear/button downs these days?

With 2, no, 4, stylish ladies to dress, 5, if you count Lanie ;), I think Luke will hardly have time for the men other than the same old same old.

OT: Man, I'm going to miss The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.  Some of the best TV I've ever watched.

Edited by madmaverick

Ah, S55, you're probably right.  I was just looking at Nathan's instagram.  Thought that was a set of some kind, but it's the corridor that connects to a plane.  If 802 is from Beckett's pov, Nathan probably gets some time off.  Long weekend at least. 

probably Hawaii where he takes all of them at least once during the relationship

Haha.  True that.  We'll know it's serious when he takes them somewhere else.  Jk. 

• Love 1

That second picture is Nathan at the airport. Based on his girlfriend's posts today, I suspect he's off today and they're heading on a mini vacation (probably Hawaii where he takes all of them at least once during the relationship). 

Ah, S55, you're probably right.  I was just looking at Nathan's instagram.  Thought that was a set of some kind, but it's the corridor that connects to a plane.  If 802 is from Beckett's pov, Nathan probably gets some time off.  Long weekend at least. 

At least I'm not the only one who thought that about his holiday, though from adding up filming days 803 starts filming today so we'll see how long this holiday lasts, I did wonder how much filming he had done yesterday or is going to be doing and apparently the answer is turning out to be not much at all.

Edited by Brit Babe

I noticed Nathan is now scheduled to be at the Chicago Comic Con Friday-Sunday (he was originally only Saturday-Sunday) in two weeks, so he must at least have Fridays off now. He also cancelled 3-4 other appearances due to scheduling conflicts, so the extra day probably helps him make more money.

At least I'm not the only one who thought that about his holiday, though from adding up filming days 803 starts filming today so we'll see how long this holiday lasts, I did wonder how much filming he had done yesterday or is going to be doing and apparently the answer is turning out to be not much at all.

I think he did film at night yesterday when that pic of the sunset was taken with a crew member.   And he did press for part of a day this week.  And there was a day when apparently the full cast was on set.  I can't remember how much of 801 shooting days Stana was in, but probably not that many either.  So they've both had time off during the 2 parter.  Let's see if that continues into the season.  I wouldn't be surprised if they both have a negotiated day off as part of their contract.  

Haha.  True that.  We'll know it's serious when he takes them somewhere else.  Jk. 

Heh. Poor Krista he tells her lets go to Hawaii! Her heart must have sunk. 

Nathan had already negotiated a day off last season if I recall or is that still considered gossip? If true then I'm sure he's got even more and Stana will have done the same, all the stars usually demand it at this stage, they'd get complete burn out otherwise. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Certainly not an eye-wateringly expensive one that I remember Beckett wore for a lovely few seconds on screen.  There should be a fun contest. Does Beckett have more variety in nightwear than Castle does in his outerwear/button downs these days?

So you're not tempted to splash the cash on that Cherry Blossom Silk Robe by Meng? I rather liked it and then I saw the price. When I last checked it was a steal at £989 but the links to buy it aren't working guess it's sold out...

Yeah with all these women to shop for there's no hope for the guys. 

Jon Stewart, not watched much of his show but I enjoyed the few clips I did come across. 

Edited by verdana

That describes my reaction to almost everything Beckett wears.

So does Luke actually shop without any need for budget considerations?  Must be nice if that's the case. ;)  Of course big budget doesn't always = good taste.

I think the prop guy mentioned on twitter that he'd bought some new watches.  For Ryan?  Vikram?  Maybe they have money to burn, but for me, it doesn't make one bit of difference to me whether those guys wear a $10 Casio or something high end or no watch at all.  It doesn't factor into the character/story at all, except in Castle and Beckett's cases.  I couldn't tell you what the rest of the cast wear or don't wear on their wrists after 7 seasons.  Wouldn't be the end of the world to me if they just wore their own watches, but perhaps they are precluded from using their own stuff.

Actually, this is day 9 for 802. Erik, the sound guy, told a fan on Twitter that 803 starts Monday. Apparently this two-parter season premiere required 9 days each to film. 

My understanding is both Nathan and Stana have days off each week now. I had heard that started in season 7 for both of them, so I expect it's at the same level or has increased for this season and a new contract both are working under. 

• Love 1

Actually, this is day 9 for 802. Erik, the sound guy, told a fan on Twitter that 803 starts Monday. Apparently this two-parter season premiere required 9 days each to film. 

My understanding is both Nathan and Stana have days off each week now. I had heard that started in season 7 for both of them, so I expect it's at the same level or has increased for this season and a new contract both are working under. 

Thanks S55. I just saw Erik's post as well.

Nathan's been having days off since his little contract dispute (it's been pretty obvious) but I would not be surprised if it has been increased.

Thanks for the info S55.

"Fun" really is the new organic.  Ironic, if we're heading in for a season of angst.

Heh, Marlowe associations aside every time I hear "fun" mentioned (and it's been brought up a lot)  I laugh given what is come, it's like they're trying a bit too hard to convince fans because they know the shit is about to hit the fan. 

“She’s a strong, powerful, beautiful, independent woman"

At least she isn't badass. What is about badassary that's so attractive? Strong, independent women I'm all for and the beautiful (this is TV of course they always want to bring the pretty), but a woman badass grates for some reason but clearly sells. I've seen evidence of that on tumblr and twitter they lap it up.  I do notice that most of them seem rather young but there's no doubt that's it's an important aspect in promoting many female lead characters.

I wouldn't mind so much if the badass female wasn't often built up at the expense of the men around her, that really pisses me off.

Hal. Thanks for the heads up, no shock there but a big risk surely by the new showrunners?  Not much Caskett then to cap it all you split them up? I thought S7 never really picked up from a dodgy mythology two parter. Need to hit the ground running and all that. Feels like they've going to risk getting trapped in the blocks right from the starting gun... 

Edited by verdana

Which is what the TVLine article said: that they know parts of the fandom will be in an uproar and that they were prepared to take that risk.

I'm a shipper, I admit to that. So I am very wary of the break up. I realise it's going to happen even if I I don't want to watch it, but I do hope it'll be over by Sweeps. 

I assumed the big break up scene would take place at the end of 802, so was expecting a meaty Caskett scene there at least.  Go out with a shock, as they like to do. ;)  And I'd expect the showrunners to want to write such a pivotal scene themselves rather than leave it to someone else in 803.  Interesting that they've given a new writer on staff 803 rather than going with someone who has been with the show longer like Hanning.

At least she isn't badass. What is about badassary that's so attractive?

Oh, she will be. ;)  Luke's probably stocking up on more leather jackets. ;)

I've nothing against badassary in judicious amounts, and when it's not too cliche.  It can be more powerful when it's not overkill, like most things.  And I'd like to see a wider understanding of the forms badassary can take, that it's not just about doing something "cool", and it's not the only or necessarily the best way to show strong character.  It can be strong to admit weakness.  It can be badass to restrain from force than to use it when you can.

I wouldn't mind so much if the badass female wasn't often built up at the expense of the men around her, that really pisses me off.

I agree.  This is one of the pitfalls writers often fall into in building up the stereotypical badass female at the expense of others who just get steamrolled in her path and are reduced to docile followers salivating after the badass woman, and striped of their own agency (balls!).  Strong women need strong men to match them.

But hey, at least no one is running for Senate!

Don't speak too soon.  Next time they'll be pitching a run for the U.S. Senate because if Beckett can skip over being Lieutenant, then why not skip over straight to the U.S. Senate?  State Senate isn't perceived as very glamorous, is it? ;)

• Love 1
At least she isn't badass. What is about badassary that's so attractive? Strong, independent women I'm all for and the beautiful (this is TV of course they always want to bring the pretty), but a woman badass grates for some reason but clearly sells. I've seen evidence of that on tumblr and twitter they lap it up.  I do notice that most of them seem rather young but there's no doubt that's it's an important aspect in promoting many female lead characters.

It's not a "woman badass" that grates on me, it's badass for the sake of badass whatever's the gender. With women I guess it's more pronounced and grates more (for me) because too often it comes across too much like an embodiment of writers' male fantasies with no connection to the story. "Look at this chick in high heels who just defeated 5 trained assassins without breaking a sweat". Or the story feels adjusted to the badassery needs. IMO a badass moment for a female character needs to be crafted with more care and thought than a similar moment for a male character if only because of natural physical differences, so it doesn't look unbelievable which is just one step from ridiculous. When it's done right the payback is more satisfying, because it's more real and relatable. But too often it looks poseurish and narcissistic, not to mention totally unbelievable.

Unless superpowers are involved. Then everything's a go :)

Edited by Gant
  • Love 6

Beckett's Captain's wardrobe was fine in the AU except I remember whatever she was wearing beneath her suit to be a bit too low neck because I could hardly see it. ;)

I like to pretend that AU Captain Beckett was still a giant Richard Castle fan and when he showed up claiming that he knew her and all that she decided to outwardly think he was crazy but inwardly was excited and wanted to be a little sexy while he was around. He might've been crazy ... but deep fried twinkie and all that. ;)

• Love 1

You have to blame this on Stana, not Luke. She has control of the wardrobe choices. 

Yeah I figured she had a fair bit of input in that department, I wish she'd do me a favour and sort out her co-star's wardrobe whilst she's at it.  

I assumed the big break up scene would take place at the end of 802, so was expecting a meaty Caskett scene there at least.  Go out with a shock, as they like to do. ;)  And I'd expect the showrunners to want to write such a pivotal scene themselves rather than leave it to someone else in 803.  Interesting that they've given a new writer on staff 803 rather than going with someone who has been with the show longer like Hanning.

That's another risky/brave decision the new showrunners have taken, I wouldn't like to be in Barry O'Brien's shoes, a newbie having to follow a Caskett-lite drama filled two parter, he had better produce the goods. 

Speaking of Rob Hanning -- he's been conspicuous by his absence on Twitter lately (or have I accidentally unfollowed him??!!) I can't remember the last time I saw a tweet from him??

Edited by BellyLaughter

Speaking of Rob Hanning-- he's been conspicuous by his absence on Twitter lately (or have I accidentally unfollowed him??!!) I can't remember the last time I saw a tweet from him??

This made me laugh because I came to the exact same realization a couple of days ago and had to head to his twitter to check.  He's been quiet for a while indeed.  He's still officially part of the Castle writing staff,  though,  right?  It surprises me that they haven't assigned him an episode right out of the gate,  because surely they know he's one of the most well-received writers,  but maybe they're saving him for one of the sweeps episodes.  

As for the risks the new showrunners are taking,  I have to say,  Caskett IS the show for me,  so part of me is really wary of the choice to pull them apart both personally  and professionally,  but I hope it works out and the payoff will be worth it for both the creative team and the audience. 

Edited by metaphor

Considering many were calling for him to be show runner it does strike me as weird that he would not be penning one of the early episodes...granted we only know about the first 4 episodes but I sort of expected to see his name earlier than this and I wish he would return to Twitter!

Considering many were calling for him to be show runner it does strike me as weird that he would not be penning one of the early episodes...granted we only know about the first 4 episodes but I sort of expected to see his name earlier than this and I wish he would return to Twitter!

I'm surprised that Chad has an episode before Hanning, but maybe he is being saved for a more dramatic ep? Since 1&2 will be dramatic, then 3&4 is maybe a bit more light as is the case in past seasons. Not sure if we'll have the same format with AH & TPW in charge now.

Fans are used to a lighter episode always following the dramatic ones, will they mess with that formula too? If they do that's all lot of changes to be making in a short period of time at the start of a season for your audience to assimilate. I'd be looking to inject some "fun" into things quickly at that point for the next few episodes as a way to pacify those who are going to be reacting after 8.02 like the world just ended. Heh. 

I'd be looking to inject some "fun" into things quickly at that point for the next few episodes as a way to pacify those who are going to be reacting after 8.02 like the world just ended. Heh.

But I would think the very nature of such a major change (the Castle-Beckett split) will preclude much fun. I have a hard time imagining how Alexis will react with anything but hostility to Beckett, and perhaps Martha as well, thus depriving Beckett of the sense of family she was given so briefly. On the other hand, will Ryan and Esposito react any better to Caste, in addition to adjusting to the new work hierarchy? Pain spreads like a drop of ink in water, unless one ignores any sense of emotionial reality, so where's the fun to be found?

But I would think the very nature of such a major change (the Castle-Beckett split) will preclude much fun. I have a hard time imagining how Alexis will react with anything but hostility to Beckett, and perhaps Martha as well, thus depriving Beckett of the sense of family she was given so briefly. On the other hand, will Ryan and Esposito react any better to Caste, in addition to adjusting to the new work hierarchy? Pain spreads like a drop of ink in water, unless one ignores any sense of emotionial reality, so where's the fun to be found?

I think a lot of this will depend on what people know/think they know about the reason for the split. Especially what Castle knows.

I suppose they can't take the lazy, illogical option of keeping it between themselves for the time being since circumstances should dictate that they make the split as public as ever.  Ouch, I'd hate for Castle to go through "Third Marriage Over!" headlines, if they happen to remember he's famous.  But he probably won't be worried by all that, just on convincing his wife to change her mind.  Can't really see how they can quickly switch to fun after such an earth shattering event either.

That's another risky/brave decision the new showrunners have taken, I wouldn't like to be in Barry O'Brien's shoes, a newbie having to follow a Caskett-lite drama filled two parter, he had better produce the goods. 

I see that he was the co-creator of a TV series in his own right and an EP previously, so maybe his experienced hands made him the choice as the writer for the episode.

I have mixed reviews of the big argument scenes Caskett have had over the years.  The dialogue hasn't always worked for me.  So here's to hoping they pull the big angsty break up scene off.  (Sounds wrong to say it, but since we're in for it anyway!)

Considering all the reassurance they've already dished up at this point about the new season, will be interesting to see how the Castle writers respond (or not) on twitter in the apocalyptic aftermath of the break up heh.  Will they be silent like Milmar after 623 or brave the fandom crowd?  I can foresee an interview or two where they say how this "opens up new storytelling" even if they should be careful not to describe it as "fun".

Yeah I figured she had a fair bit of input in that department, I wish she'd do me a favour and sort out her co-star's wardrobe whilst she's at it.

Ha! Could you imagine? I'd like to watch that on Monday night rather than the show. 

I would pay to watch that show haha!!

Reminded of that photo of a girl and a boy sent from Stana to Nathan on his birthday with the caption saying she wasn't bossy but she just had leadership skills. Heh.  Interesting choice.

You have to blame this on Stana, not Luke. She has control of the wardrobe choices.

Makes me wonder about the wedding dress fiasco all over again!  Taste is so subjective.

They just need to ban Castle from wearing Grandpa jackets....get him back in tailored suits -- preferably NOT tailored by Luke! Or alternatively I would be happy with tshirts..... ;)

Not Tailored by Luke should be a fashion label. ;)

• Love 2

Makes me wonder about the wedding dress fiasco all over again!  Taste is so subjective.

Taste may be subjective but that dress united the fandom (for once!) it was a travesty, it's still giving me nightmares, as an experiment I typed in "Beckett horrible dress" in Google and clicked on images and what did I find? A page littered with pictures of this: 

https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/castle_beckett_dress.jpg

Luke Reichle retweeted

Rob kyker ‏@RobKyker  Aug 4

803 concept meeting w/ my buddy @redcarpetluke

https://twitter.com/RobKyker/status/628603611560280064

How about this for a "concept" dress Castle better. 

Edited by verdana

I see that he was the co-creator of a TV series in his own right and an EP previously, so maybe his experienced hands made him the choice as the writer for the episode.

He was on CSI Miami for a while I gather, I meant newbie Castle wise but yes he does have experience so may be it's not that surprising.

Considering all the reassurance they've already dished up at this point about the new season, will be interesting to see how the Castle writers respond (or not) on twitter in the apocalyptic aftermath of the break up heh.  Will they be silent like Milmar after 623 or brave the fandom crowd?  I can foresee an interview or two where they say how this "opens up new storytelling" even if they should be careful not to describe it as "fun".

I'll bet my house they'll do a few interviews afterwards to the usual suspects (TV line etc) and that's exactly what they'll say. If I was the writers I'd take a break from twitter to avoid the crazy or put a block on the account so only a select list of people can tweet you (they can do that right?).  It will be interesting to see who is brave enough out of the cast to volunteer to live tweet 8.02, I hope it's Nathan that'll add an extra frisson to the proceedings. lol.

Edited by verdana

I can see what they were trying for - it's got a little bit of the sheath-with-overskirt vibe of Audrey Hepburn's Givenchy gown from Sabrina (which Stana Katic could totally have rocked) - but it was just either a really badly-made dress or it photographed really poorly, and it didn't fit. I was genuinely surprised by how badly it fit. I don't even know how you put a dress on that body and hide most of it in tulle bolsters and still have it fit that badly.

I'm just really flabbergasted that the new showrunners couldn't come up with anything better than breaking them up. The leads want less time together? Fine, then utilize the supporting cast and prior guest stars. Show the actually doing things with other people when they're not at work. Show girls night in the loft with Beckett, Martha, Alexis, and Lanie watching movies, drinking, discussing whatever B story they have for that week and touching on a case. When Caskett are together, show them on a date night or playing poker with friends or having a drink at the Old Haunt. There are lots of ways to use your show's universe and not be a boring old married couple. Show them at one of his book launches and Beckett getting kinda hot & bothered seeing him in action and pulls him to somewhere quiet for a little hanky panky. Show Castle heading to a basketball or baseball game with Beckett's dad. Show them at his cabin in the woods where she recuperated after being shot and let them talk about what she was going thru then. Let Castle do his P.I. thing while also considering writing more a more serious novel.

I just think, they have 7 years of history, why not fill in the gaps and show the beats you've kept offscreen? Does Beckett take part in any of Castle's games & play with him? Laser tag? Teaching her how to fence could be quite sexy. Just use what you already have in a new way and you've still managed to reinvent the show without manufacturing a change through a stupid breakup trope.

• Love 8

She could have hidden Espo and Ryan under those saddlebags. 

And the sparkly grey(?) colour was as a total turn off, it looked part Vegas show girl in places, you would think at some stage a member of Luke's support staff or even the showrunner would have said "this really isn't working out may be we need to have a rethink" but no they sailed on regardless. 

Aaaah the wonderful Audrey Hepburn thanks for the picture, I see stars these days trying to copy her look and style but they'll never capture the Hepburn magic.  

Another nice little drawing from random ship.

last breath  -by E

Edited by verdana

The things that concern about them breaking up and it being Beckett's decision entirely is how do they not make it seem like Castle is completely passive in all of this? She is captain at the 12th so there will be 'angst' with her new power/responsibility over the cases (also indirectly Castle) where she is essentially bossing him around (or it being made to look that way). You then add her making a HUGE decision without him and Castle having to just accept it in terms of their breakup/divorce. What is going to stop the fans from piling on Beckett and hating this from the get go? Where is the balance coming from?

You add that on top of them coming out and saying that Castle and Beckett screen time will be reduced and different relationships formed, and I struggle personally to get excited for the WTWT all over again. I really do question how 'quality' these scenes will end up being, as it cannot just be built off UST.

If you assume that Beckett believes she has to break up with Castle to keep him safe, then how exactly are they getting time together outside of the 12th and PI office? I struggle to see how the quality is going to be an adequate replacement for the quantity people are used to.

I just know I'm going to hate this..urghhhh

Edited by Chado

I think a lot of this will depend on what people know/think they know about the reason for the split. Especially what Castle knows.

And do we know for sure that Beckett splits from Castle or could it be the other way around?

Edited by Castle75

The things that concern about them breaking up and it being Beckett's decision entirely is how do they not make it seem like Castle is completely passive in all of this? She is captain at the 12th so there will be 'angst' with her new power/responsibility over the cases (also indirectly Castle) where she is essentially bossing him around (or it being made to look that way). You then add her making a HUGE decision without him and Castle having to just accept it in terms of their breakup/divorce. What is going to stop the fans from piling on Beckett and hating this from the get go? Where is the balance coming from?

I'm hoping that what happens on screen is just a separation and they don't actually officially divorce.  That would really piss me off.

I think they'll need to have Castle realize the reasoning for the split fairly quickly, otherwise why would he want to see her at all? But if we have them both hoping that once this threat ends they'll be able to be together again, it could make scenes between them work.

And do we know for sure that Beckett splits from Castle or could it be the other way around?

I think that page of the script that leaked confirmed it's Beckett who leaves.  Also, I think that's what makes sense based on what we know about the first two episodes.  Nathan said in the first episode Castle doesn't know what Beckett is investigating.  My guess is that episode ends with Beckett saying she's leaving, and Castle being all WTF about it.  Then in episode two we see the reasoning....which hopefully will be good enough that it tones down all the Beckett hate, but I kind of doubt it.  Not because of the writers, but because a lot of people like to hate on Beckett.

Random ship does some nice Caskett art.  Her art of Caskett kids is cute.  Almost makes me want to see Caskett babies on screen... almost. :P

I just never thought Beckett was one for something so... sparkly.  Lanie maybe, but not Beckett.  Although I remember she had a hot pink glittery monstrosity (in that instance it was meant as such) banned by Lanie in that fun S1 scene where Lanie goes through her terrible closet collection.  Problem is, that was such a memorable scene that it set the tone in my mind for Beckett, which made her sudden latter day transformation into all round fashionista quite unbelievable to me. Back then, Castle was characterised as being a bit of a vain metrosexual and cared about his hair and ruggedly handsome looks (and presumably, clothing), and had knowledge and good taste in women's clothing as well.  Beckett was characterised as a tad clueless about clothes, and more into practical clothing than anything too superfluous.  That's not to say that she didn't want to look beautiful or wasn't into beautiful things, but there was a definite gap between who she was then and who she became in S3, without much of an onscreen explanation for the transformation.

I see that Stana's reposted the pic she deleted of her with her brother earlier, this time with the #siblings. ;)  Hateful comments of any kind are unjustifiable on social media. But honestly, I think this posting and deleting and reposting all creates unnecessary drama.  I remember there was drama as well when Stana deleted her instagram account and then made one again later on.  It has fans getting all upset and angry and apologetic, and thinking they know what Stana's thinking, and it's all too hysterical to me.  If I were Stana or anyone really, I would post what I want, be as cryptic or not as I want, as it's my social media account.  There's no need to be accountable to anyone but good manners and good sense.  Just delete haters' comments and block them.  They shouldn't affect what you decide to post or not, or how you label them.  If you decide you want absolutely zero comments from strangers on your personal life, then don't post anything about your personal life. Simple as that.  And honestly, who cares if she posts a pic with her husband or her brother?  Posting a pic or not doesn't change the fact that she obviously has both. ;)

• Love 2

Badsamaritan, I would love to see all the things you mentioned and more, but as I've vented before, the past showrunners have never seemed particularly interested in slice of life B stories for some reason.  And the new showrunners probably won't be either.  They're definitely not going to opt for showing more of the fun, intimate every day stuff over a Big Dramatic Story.  Now I'm not a TV writer, so I don't know if every one of them always thinks that the latter just makes for a better story. Maybe they think Drama and Upheaval is always needed as an engine to drive the story forward and to keep things interesting and deliver payoffs.

I would so love to see Caskett playing laser tag together.  Sigh.  I feel we missed all the new discovery period of each other's habits, quirks and intimacies when they were a new couple, no thanks to Marlowe.  Castle teaching Beckett to fence could be super sexy.  Their S1 Beckett teaching Castle to fire guns scene was hot.  But as it is on the show, they'd probably show her to be an expert fencer already (another hidden skill ;)) and besting Castle at first touch.  I thought there was a completely missed opportunity for Beckett to get a bit hot and bothered by Castle's fencing skills in that episode where he fenced with a suspect.  Instead, she was shown to be out of the room, returning when the action was over, and reacting with a sense of puzzlement rather than heat. ;)  Sometimes the missed opportunities for sexiness on this show are so aggravating!  It really doesn't take much.  And go for the sexy over the laughs when you can.  Every. Time.

But if we have them both hoping that once this threat ends they'll be able to be together again, it could make scenes between them work.

I want to see them actively having some kind of a plan rather than simply being cowed by the Big Bad into this breakup.  They should be desperate for this fake out to be over, not accepting of it.  I don't want any passivity from either.

• Love 2

I dislike either of them forgetting they're in a true partnership and should not be taking decisions alone and I don't enjoy watching Castle being passive about things he should rightly get upset about and he fails to stand up for himself. It appears that the break up is very much real and not fake, that makes sense, otherwise where's the drama in the story if fans know it's not for real?

I hope the new writers take a different approach from the usual dynamic when they encountered serious relationship dilemmas which caused many fans to take up fighting positions in "Castle" or "Beckett" corners. I do worry they're going to strip Castle of any real agency and we're back to Kate taking unilateral decisions about their relationship with Castle's passive acceptance of the inevitable. There has to be some balance there between them otherwise they're spiralling back into the exact same problems they had before. If they go down that route again to create relationship angst, the writers have learnt nothing and it's a complete regression for both characters.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

It appears that the break up is very much real and not fake, that makes sense, otherwise where's the drama in the story if fans know it's not for real?

Well there's "fake" as in it's all an act and they are communicating in secret, which doesn't seem to be the case.  But there's also a difference between a real split because they don't want to be together anymore and a temporary split because they still love each other but think being apart is safer.  I think the latter is the only way they could do this without ruining the past 7 seasons, so hopefully that is what we'll get.

And please don't let it be another case of manufactured botched communications between them: Oh, I was going to say yes to the Hamptons, but then Gina showed up. Yes, I heard you say "I love you" but I'm gonna lie and say I didn't.  What? You remember everything? Well, I'm going to be a douchebag and not tell you that I heard you say that. The characters seem to be far past all that relationship bullcrap now, and the writers shouldn't fall back on such cheap TV tropes.

• Love 1

I also don't get how they can work together in any way and still be apart to protect the other. If you're going to the trouble of breaking up, that means you think someone is keeping tabs on you and your loved ones, right? So how will you account for still coming into contact via crime solving? If Bracken is behind this, he's not a stupid man, neither Beckett nor Castle will be able to just turn off their feelings. They still have 7 years of history and marriage under their belt, which means they can still be used as leverage against the other and put in harm's way. So what's the point? If you truly care about the other's safety then you cut them out completely. But they can't do that on this show, at least not yet. I'm not willing to hand wave this basic fault in the logic of their new 'drama'. This is a primary variable for which they cannot solve and still have the main characters intersect via crimes. It takes me out of the tertiary question of WTWT because their basis for it is flawed at its core.

The concept of leaving for a loved one's own good has already been established in this world via Castle's father. I don't understand how they will make me believe this new circumstance between Caskett should operate under different rules, just because they say so. This is a common storyline mistake in soaps - new writers coming in and changing ground rules that have already been established for characters to fit a story they want to tell. This rarely ends as successfully as they wish.

• Love 3