Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

(edited)

If only the fandom could be as kind as Susan to all the actors and to each other!

Still think the 'Sir' thing was a weird mistake.  If we get a new Captain, I hope we just go with 'Captain', or 'ma'am', if it's Beckett.

Don't know if there was any confusion about the Matts, but the Matt I referenced above was Matt Roush the critic, I think, from TV Guide and not Matt Mitovich from TV Line.  Not sure if Roush is in the Ausiello business of doling out spoilers or if he just answers fan questions and writes old fashioned reviews.  But he's been in the business long enough to know fandom behaviour.  I don't think every spoiler outlet releases spoilers in as sensationalist and drama stirring a way as Ausiello tends to do, but his style has clearly worked for him and amassed him a following and a business, so either fans don't mind it or they just really want the spoilers. ;)  Other sites like EW tend to just dole out spoilers straight up.  But clicks are always going to count for media outlets online these days, and if they can frame a headline in a way that gets them more clicks, 9 out of 10 are going to, especially if we're talking about entertainment sites and not hard news.

Edited by madmaverick

Nathan put his foot in it last night, mentioning Bones in comparison with Castle, Boreanez bit hard on it, but they both smoothed it out over Twitter. I can't link to it on this computer but if you check NF's feed, you will see it. I don't know why NF even MENTIONS Bones, ever.

Nathan put his foot in it last night, mentioning Bones in comparison with Castle, Boreanez bit hard on it, but they both smoothed it out over Twitter. I can't link to it on this computer but if you check NF's feed, you will see it. I don't know why NF even MENTIONS Bones, ever.

Wow. *goes to check it out*

From what I read of Nathan's comments at the SDCC Con Man panel, he mentioned that he had auditioned for Angel but didn't get it and that David Boreanez was great.  And then later on I think the mod mentioned Bones for some reason, and Nathan joked about it being 'the other Castle'.  I think it was just joshing around and nothing was unkindly meant considering he had just complimented DB.  That was made clear in their twitter exchange anyway.  There may have been some fan overeaction to it all, but that's nothing new.  I don't watch Bones, but honestly, the two shows seem like they are cut from the same cloth to me.  Same with Forever. There are always going to be shows which go for this age old formula.

I am not sure if Matt Roush writers for TV Insider and/or TV Guide.  Was just going by his twitter bio.  But I seem to recall he wrote for the TV Guide website way back when.  Lots of these entertainment journos move around a lot these days because jobs are probably being cut.  And when you have a million other fan blogs competing with you that the network gives screeners to anyway...

• Love 1

I think it was clear NF was making light of it, but DB has a history of getting fired up about Castle "stealing" from Bones so I took his initial response as less joking. As always, someone only quotes part of something, which removes context...

• Love 1
(edited)

TVLine.com ‏@TVLine  1 hr1 hour ago

Uh, @MichaelAusiello? You might wanna turn around. cc: @NathanFillion #ComicCon #Castle

https://twitter.com/TVLine/status/619560548175376384

We getting a Nathan interview soon about Castle? Nathan's interviews I never find that informative when it comes to Castle but I'll be interested to see what he has to say this time around in light of recent spoilers. 

I thought DB and Nathan had a bit of history together, every so often they seem to have a bit of twitter spat. DB seems to enjoy sending sarcastic tweets out I can't recall who usually starts it though! 

Edited by verdana
TVLine.com ‏@TVLine  1 hr1 hour ago

Uh, @MichaelAusiello? You might wanna turn around. cc: @NathanFillion #ComicCon #Castle

https://twitter.com/...560548175376384

Should we be scared?  Heh.  Bit of a 3XK vibe going on there.  Don't think Nathan's played a villain since Buffy.  

Stana tweeted earlier that she hadn't seen the script for 801 yet, so maybe Nathan hasn't either.  I doubt there'll be much in the way of spoilers in the interview and I think Nathan isn't keen on spoilers in general anyway.

Not strictly about Castle per se, but this hangwith video filmed with Nathan and Alan is a lot of fun and touches on a range of things.  Someone asked Nathan to keep his scruff for Castle, but he said that it was just a summer thing that already took him 2 weeks.  Shame, because the look he's sporting here with the scruff and sunglasses gives off Richard Castle S1 vibes.  Or Hamptons Castle at least.  The Castle Con in Germany also gets a mention, along with diving, fans, people realising dreams and Con Man etc.  Just a lot of fun banter between these guys.

• Love 1
(edited)

Still think the 'Sir' thing was a weird mistake.  If we get a new Captain, I hope we just go with 'Captain', or 'ma'am', if it's Beckett.

The "Sir" business was plain dumb and annoying, I didn't even feel the character would have insisted on being called that either it was ridiculous.  If as I strongly suspect Beckett become Captain from the start I would like them to keep calling her Beckett TBH but if they can't do that I'd prefer Captain to ma'am.  

Edited by verdana
(edited)

Thanks for the clip. That was not enlightening Castle wise but I smiled any way.

"I can tell you exactly nothing" Nathan to Ausiello about what Toks will be doing with Castle. 

"I'm still worried!" "I'm less worried"  "I'm worried!" "I'm less worried" LOL to Alan's reactions and his facial reactions. That was the best bit and the bleeped out "bullshit" from Ausiello.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yes, LOL at Alan's reactions!  He could be the voice of the fandom.  He's got a great 'worried' face heh.  The two of them are just so good at reacting off one another.  We get that flow with the Castle cast too, when everything's clicking.

I think Ausiello's spoilers about Castle have always come straight from the writers' room or the PR Department and rarely, if ever, from any cast interviews.

Never say never (lol at Alan's 'I never do'), huh? Not that I ever expect anything to be revealed about the lifespan of a show in such interviews.  We probably won't know for many months. Just could do without a repeat of the fandom drama during the last negotiations.

I didn't care for MG on Alias, but she's landed tv leads since so I guess it worked out well for her.  Haven't watched her in anything else so can't judge one way or another.

Edited by madmaverick

Yeah I agree about Ausiello and how he gets those spoilers.  

As for the fandom drama surrounding the show's future, I have a horrible feeling we'll be going through the exact same palaver again as the end of S8 approaches.

The "Sir" business was plain dumb and annoying, I didn't even feel the character would have insisted on being called that either it was ridiculous.  If as I strongly suspect Beckett become Captain from the start I would like them to keep calling her Beckett TBH but if they can't do that I'd prefer Captain to ma'am.

I remember Stana and one of the writers saying that it was a choice to not have Beckett call Gates "captain" because in her mind that was reserved for Montgomery and she was paying him respects or something.

However, that doesn't explain why she couldn't cal her "ma'am." And actually it could have been a good story to have Beckett switch to calling her Captain as she grew to respect Gates as much as Montgomery. Or more than she respected Montgomery, since Gates didn't lie to her for years about knowing who killed her mother.

• Love 1

Interview with Jon, he would like to direct at some point and has a film in development apparently which he hopes will come to fruition next year. 

Sandra knows best © ‏@Sandraxf  5 hrs5 hours ago
Jon Huertas on the cover of MILLENNIUM MAGAZINE.

See more photos & read his interview here: http://www.magcloud.com/webviewer/953142?__r=&s=v

I see he's being smart and not relying on his acting alone to pay the bills, opening a restaurant, making records and doing his bit charity wise.

I wish I liked Espo more on the show because I used to like him. I don't care for his overly sarky, doubting behaviour with Castle for no apparent reason these days. Hope that's something the new writers address next season because it has been picked up on by quite a few fans and its annoying.  

Some Castle related tweets from the recent panel Nathan did at Nerd HQ.

Fanboy Comics ‏@FanboyComix  26 mins26 minutes ago
Nathan wants a #Castle Ep where Alan plays a "mirror" version of his character - another writer who works with a police team. #FBCMal

Fanboy Comics ‏@FanboyComix  37 mins37 minutes ago
Fan asked when we will get a #Castle crossover with #AgentsofSHIELD - N: I'd love that. #NathanFillion #NerdHQ #SDCC #FBCMal

Fanboy Comics ‏@FanboyComix 25 mins25 minutes ago
N: Anytime I can get a running joke in #Castle I do it. #NathanFillion #NerdHQ #SDCC #FBCMal

(edited)

Seems she's not a love interest (at least not right now), it's going to be interesting to see how Toks plays it and if fans do warm quickly to the character. If they don't she'll no doubt disappear suddenly like Pi did! 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
(edited)
Susan Sullivan ‏@realssullivan  4 hrs4 hours ago

Dear Twitter chums...Just read the first script!!  And I am can't wait for you all to jump into this Castle season....surprises, magic, love

Susan doing her best to promote the show, hope that "love" is Caskett based. Heh.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
Sandra knows best © ‏@Sandraxf  37m37 minutes ago

So, no #Castle season 8 photoshoot tomorrow (via Molly Quinn). Why am I not surprised...

Pity they're not going to do one, even if they can look way too photo shopped. If they can't do it this week then I guess that's it they won't have time once filming starts. 

(edited)
Seems she's not a love interest (at least not right now), it's going to be interesting to see how Toks plays it and if fans do warm quickly to the character. If they don't she'll no doubt disappear suddenly like Pi did!

Let's hope they learned from the Pi debacle in terms of introducing a new character and the right ways to "shake up" stories and relationship dynamics.  You've made me cast my mind back to the way Pi came into the show and I still want to cringe at the "humour" of it all, starting with the name they chose for him.  At least the "free spirited" character that Toks is playing hasn't been saddled with a name made for laughs.  It'll be interesting to see if she gets more attention from the writers than the existing supporting characters.  Fresh meat may be more interesting to them.  Whatever happens, I hope fans can separate the character from the actor and be kind to the latter.

Fingers crossed, Susan, fingers crossed. 

Molly C. Quinn ‏@MollyQuinn93  

“@CastleFanaticBR: @MollyQuinn93 the Castle photoshoot is still happening tomorrow?”

Nope, looks like maaaaaybe

mid-season now???

: /

#Sorry

Why am I not the least bit surprised?  I don't think ABC intends to spend a penny more on Castle than they absolutely have to at this point.  It's all so badly photoshopped anyway, they might as well just photoshop it from outtakes from past seasons. ;)  Now if only an entertainment magazine would be interested in Castle again, we'd be talking about a photoshoot with aesthetic potential.

I enjoyed this last panel of Nathan's from Nerd HQ.  He really could have a second career as an auctioneer if he ever decides to give up the acting gig heh, but it's all for a great cause.    What I liked most about the panel was when he was asked towards the end (1:05 mark) about what he'd learned about himself from his characters. He said that he'd learned that he really loved working and telling stories, and that it was part of his job to put himself out there for the world to judge and to get a thick skin about it when people would tell him that that they didn't like something, or that he's ugly, and that perhaps people would be amazed or not at how much he got that kind of stuff.  (Having seen what the ugly parts of the fandom is capable of, I'm not. ;))  And he talked about how he'd learned that it was important not to be self serving in the acting process because if you're serving yourself, you're not serving the scene, the story, the show, the other actors and you also don't come out looking good.  The key to making things work acting wise is to give everything away and try to make it look good for camera, the writers, the other actors etc. because it's a team effort.  He'd learned a tough lesson to not be self serving and it could be scary, but once you let it go, it's a safe place to be.  He also reiterated how grateful he is to get to do what he does.  His worst day is still a great day.  I wish fans would hear the guy out before making certain judgments about him, and even if they do want to judge him for whatever, to remember that everyone has feelings and there's never a need to tweet ugly stuff. 

He was also asked about whether he geeked out on Castle.  He said he geeked out over guest stars, and named Jennifer Beals and Jason Beghe (Royce). I had the sense he was geeking out/crushing on Beals but had no idea about Beghe, and it was because of a horror film called Monkey Shines (anyone seen it?).  He was also asked about how he kept things fresh on Castle having to do so many takes and the show for many years, and he talked about Freshminting it TM heh.  He said Jon Huertas did it with his eyes.

Edited by madmaverick

Pity they're not going to do one, even if they can look way too photo shopped. If they can't do it this week then I guess that's it they won't have time once filming starts. 

I'm not at all shocked. The show is 8 seasons in; shows that old rarely do photo shoots and use old pictures. Unless something really momentous happens or whatever (As an example, I watched L&O: CI, which ran 10 seasons. In S9, the original leads left and new leads were around one season. This was thought to be permanent. But ratings went south and the original leads returned for the final season and there were new pictures. But that is very much more the exception than the rule.).

Once shows age, the interest from the respective networks goes proportionately downward.

• Love 1
(edited)

The main problem with Pi was was aside from the silly name he didn't appear to be a fully fleshed out character with a decent trajectory planned out, Marlowe as good as admitted he was there to piss the audience off (and Castle) and that was about it.  He was a plot device and a very clunky one at that, lets hope poor Toks doesn't go the same way. 

I must admit I was a bit surprised when it was reported there would be a photo shoot in the first place, they didn't have one last season and I thought that was the sign they were stopping them permanently in any case. On Twitter there seem to be a few naturally upset fans but they must realise the older the show the less cash gets thrown around by the network. 

Molly is gearing up for next season, clearly excited.

Molly C. Quinn ‏@MollyQuinn93  1h1 hour ago
Lots of folks asking about #castleseason8 's first episode

Just gonna say this
@OldManWinter14 & @AlexiHawley have put the show on steroids

Steroids huh? Hope they don't overdo it. 

Edited by verdana

Steroids huh? Hope they don't overdo it. 

People keep talking about S8 using words that don't mean anything. Magic? On Steroids? What is it about working on Castle that makes people lose the ability to use descriptive adjectives?  I know it's meant to tease, but you could literally use those words to describe anything.

I would have been surprised if they did a new photoshoot and I'd be surprised if they do one mid-season like Molly's Tweet suggests.  What would be the point? But I do wonder if they'll take pictures of the newbie and Photoshop her into a group shot in place of Gates.

(edited)

Faster, more, isn't always better.  There's a lot to be said for a quieter examination of inner life.  Did I put anyone to sleep there? :P

I dislike it whenever they go for cheap laughs and they sure were going for them when they named him Pi and made him a fruitarian.  Seriously?  Were we supposed to find that funny? ;)  Where was the wit and the humour in that reminiscent of vintage Castle?  Castle started out being written as someone who annoyed Beckett but he was always written three dimensionally with redeeming qualities so that he could be endearing to the audience.  Whereas Pi mainly just annoyed in a one dimensional way. But not to go there again, it was Alexis' character and the Alexis/Castle relationship, stuff that we really cared about, not Pi,  that was really hurt in the process.

As for the new character Toks is playing, I expect she'll be another strong, badass woman in the Beckett vein.  Those can be great.  But I hope the writers will give her some characteristics that make her more interesting and less generic.  

People keep talking about S8 using words that don't mean anything. Magic? On Steroids? What is it about working on Castle that makes people lose the ability to use descriptive adjectives?  I know it's meant to tease, but you could literally use those words to describe anything.

I don't think it's just Castle.  Some people throw away superlatives so freely nowadays so as to render them pretty much meaningless to me. Everything's awesome, amazing.  Many TV shows have become more generic and tropey so perhaps the usual adjectives can also fit the descriptive bill. ;)  Don't so much look to the actors to have the words, but the writers should really know how to tease their product well with words.  But the way Marlowe did it was just about the worst.  Let's hope the new team are an improvement in that department.  It shouldn't be that hard to make something you created sound interesting, should it? 

Edited by madmaverick

I have to take anything anyone who works on this show says with a grain of salt.  I mean come on!?!  Are any of them gonna come out in public and do anything other than wax lyrical about this amazing new season they are about to embark on??  

I'll judge for myself thanks!!

• Love 1

I don't think it's just Castle.  Some people throw away superlatives so freely nowadays so as to render them pretty much meaningless to me. Everything's awesome, amazing.  Many TV shows have become more generic and tropey so perhaps the usual adjectives can also fit the descriptive bill. ;)  Don't so much look to the actors to have the words, but the writers should really know how to tease their product well with words.  But the way Marlowe did it was just about the worst.  Let's hope the new team are an improvement in that department.  It shouldn't be that hard to make something you created sound interesting, should it? 

I guess I don't really pay attention to spoilers for other shows, so I didn't realize they are equally hyperbolic and generic

But I am hoping Winter and Hawley prove better at giving interesting interviews than Marlowe. Or Amman and all his mythology talk.

(edited)

As for the new character Toks is playing, I expect she'll be another strong, badass woman in the Beckett vein.  Those can be great.  But I hope the writers will give her some characteristics that make her more interesting and less generic.  

If she's too much like Beckett in any way they need to take care, it's not only the concern about her being a love interest that would set people off but anything that points towards her being built up as a "new" Beckett is asking for trouble and stirring up unnecessary unrest. Unfortunately they do seem to write the characters in a very predictable format these days but at least I know there's no way she'll have to act goofy, dumb or be made the butt of a joke like they do with Castle. 

All the hyperbolic descriptions do nothing for me either and rather than build up my excitement they either confuse or tend to grate after a while, although Molly's comment was a new one.

Edited by verdana
I guess I don't really pay attention to spoilers for other shows, so I didn't realize they are equally hyperbolic and generic

I wasn't so much referring to how people talk about spoilers, but how people talk about their shows in general.  It's always sunshine and roses.  I get that you have to sound positive in the media, but couldn't you sell the goods in a more creative, authentic, specific way?  But everything's reduced to a soundbite nowadays so it's not like more thoughtful answers get any attention either.  

Surprised the casting for the other new character hasn't been announced yet.  Maybe he won't be in the first episode, or he really has a top secret storyline. ;)

(edited)

Fred ‏@FredBC77  41m41 minutes ago

RT @olv: #Castle season 8 begins filming in Los Angeles this week! 

http://www.onlocationvacations.com/2015/07/14/castle-season-8-begins-filming-in-los-angeles-this-week/

Angel Costa ‏@angelcosta78  9 hrs9 hours ago

NO Promo Shoot for #Castle S8, I think @Stana_Katic will have to rally the troops this year again for a Poster comp!

https://twitter.com/angelcosta78/status/620843450276159488

This picture made me laugh. ABC marketing dept doesn't get much love amongst Castle fans. 

Edited by verdana
Fred ‏@FredBC77  41m41 minutes ago

RT @olv: #Castle season 8 begins filming in Los Angeles this week!

Cue the location stalkers!

Terri Edda Miller ‏@TerriEdda  3h3 hours ago

Observation: "Throwing Shade" seems to be the phrase of the month. Seeing it everywhere! #throwingsunshine

This made me laugh.  Has Terri been keeping an eye on Castle fandom drama? ;)

Nathan Fillion retweeted Andrea

Not weird at all.  Nathan Fillion added,

Andrea @nonsequiteuse

Apparently @NathanFillion will be looking down on me this visit to the OB/GYN ... So unsettling.

I find this both funny and creepy.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hiatus is over and Jon is still into dubsmash heh.  I sense it's not going to get old with him and Seamus.

Goodbye, scruff!  No idea about these things, but does the Castle hair person give the guys a cut and a shave before shooting begins or they come to set cut and shaved?  And I imagine if Stana and the other ladies were on set, the hair stylist(s) might not have much time for the men unless everyone comes in super early?

A little surprised that Stana is not shooting on the first day.  Not sure if that's a first.  Maybe it didn't work with her other film schedule, or maybe that was her extra day off as per her contract.

Looks like Lisa Schomas has also moved on from Castle to The Man in the High Castle.  May be a step up (ooh, pun) even if it doesn't last 8 seasons.  That show is getting buzz.

jon_huertas1st day of filming is like the 1st day of class...
@nathanfillion @dubsmashapp #Castle #season8

https://instagram.com/p/5KjwwHHLAe/

And we have our East Indian tech analyst, though thankfully they don't reference that anymore. ;)

http://deadline.com/2015/07/sunkrish-bala-castle-anabelle-acosta-quantico-abc-casting-1201476312/

I'm afraid I don't remember much of the actor from The Walking Dead, but it was a few seasons ago. 

Edited by madmaverick
Sunkrish Bala (The Walking Dead) has booked a season-long arc on ABC drama series Castle. Bala will play Vikram Singh, a high-strung, tech analyst with a complicated past.

Hm... season long.  Who knows, he may end up lasting longer than Hayley?  Although I think it's not unlikely that Hayley may be here to stay for good since I don't think she'll be a 'bad guy' whereas "complicated past" just screams conspiracy.  Ugh, why are characters often either "high strung" or "free spirited"?  And Vikram Singh?  They didn't get very creative there, did they? ;)  Cliche prediction would be that Vikram is being blackmailed because of his complicated past to be a mole for someone (Bracken, other powers that be involved in Castle's disapperance) at the 12th because Castle/Beckett.... are a threat/unwittingly in possession of some knowledge that's a threat/going to play an important role in the year 2027 and so must be terminated now!  Sound familiar?

"complicated" "highly strung" Me. SIGH

Ugh, why are characters often either "high strung" or "free spirited"?  And Vikram Singh?  They didn't get very creative there, did they? ;)  Cliche prediction would be that Vikram is being blackmailed because of his complicated past to be a mole for someone

You called it and that's where it'll probably go, the creativity well seems to have dried up even with the new writers on board based on the descriptions given out. Lets hope what I screen is better than this sounds, the "complicated" bit makes me shudder because that's a word Marlowe loved using constantly. 

May be he shares a complex past with Esposito? Heh. Or he's linked in some way to spydaddy and secretly watching after Castle? May be he used to go to school with 3XK or was once secretly married to Dr Nieman and is out for revenge? I can think of quite a few stupid ideas which I pray are way off the mark. I hope to God they don't tie him in with Castle's risible mythology and disappearance. Good luck to the actor this season he may need it. 

They described Rogan as having a "complicated past" with Beckett. Hopefully this guy isn't secretly married to anyone too.

Maybe they'll pull out the "previously unknown relative" trope before repeating the "secret [unremembered? really?] marriage" one again. I think we can pretty well rule out Martha as having had a secret baby, but "Jackson Hunt's" dicey past is ripe for fruitful one-night stands like the one that produced Castle.

Terri Edda Miller ‏@TerriEdda  2 hrs2 hours ago

Terri Edda Miller retweeted Andrew W. Marlowe

I second that!!! Go #castle !!

Andrew W. Marlowe ‏@AndrewWMarlowe  5 hrs5 hours ago

Wishing the entire #Castle cast and crew and amazing Season 8 on the first day of shooting today! Go get 'em!

Luke Reichle ‏@RedCarpetLuke  7 hrs7 hours ago

First day of shooting on #Castle S8 which really means that I had to be up at 5:30!  A.M.! It's okay. After all,  #mylifeforstyle

He has to get up that early and yet still can't dress Castle properly.

• Love 1
They described Rogan as having a "complicated past" with Beckett. Hopefully this guy isn't secretly married to anyone too.

That could turn out to be more entertaining than any convoluted conspiracy. ;)  Can't he have a secret crush on LT or something?  I miss the days of Karpowski when other people in the precinct actually had personalities.  Precinct dynamics, relationships, competition, gossip, bets, secrets, secret fetishes and guilty pleasures.  That kind of thing could actually make the show more entertaining than some out of nowhere storyline with new characters that will require a huge suspension of disbelief.

Not keen on a "previously unknown relative" storyline because somehow those have never worked for me on the same emotional level. 

(edited)
Not keen on a "previously unknown relative" storyline because somehow those have never worked for me on the same emotional level.

I usually can't take stories like this seriously, it screams daytime soapy and is yet another sign they're sorely lacking good ideas for the existing characters so end up giving them a long lost relative/previously unknown one instead to bring the drama.  Their only purpose on Castle would be to turn up to cause trouble and strife for everyone for a period of time before they disappear and are instantly forgotten.

Went on to TV Tropes and had a giggle at Long Lost Relative which took me on to Connected All Along then the helpful Family Twists Index. 

madmaverick. Thank you for the "love tropes" that's a looooong list to work through. Some of those titles heh. I'll save this list for later. I wonder how many more tropes they'll have ticked off by the end of this season? Quite a few I imagine. 

Edited by verdana

Proof that the guys at TV Line are trolls:

@MattMitovich: True story: I wore a SHIELD shirt to ONCE #SDCC interview to fuel the fan theory that that was the crossover http://t.co/9UIYtIdNSU

Also, Nathan has cancelled his appearances at all Wizard World Comic Cons except Chicago (he was supposed to be in Tulsa, Pittsburgh, Nashville and possibly one more). The reason is "scheduling conflict" so he must have picked up work for Castle or another project. It's very common for celebs to cancel for a range of different reasons, there's even a section on each city's website for who cancelled.

• Love 1
Stana Katic ‏@Stana_Katic  Jul 14

To all of my #Castle friends: have a GREAT 1st day back tomorrow!I miss you & will see you soon.I can't wait to tell great stories together.