Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

Rick and Kate are “going to Mars,” in an episode about “Mars, spacesuits and space travel.” The episode’s ominous title? “The Wrong Stuff.”

O_o

*backs out of thread and runs into the thread's door by mistake*

I really don't know what to think on that one.

It could be ... not as bad as we think. Maybe the victim had aspirations to be one of the pioneers on the manned flight to Mars or something.

I mean, I'm grasping as straws because as far as themes go ... face value is that it sucks. But I thought a western theme was going to be campy, and I really liked it, so ... we'll see.

It could be ... not as bad as we think. Maybe the victim had aspirations to be one of the pioneers on the manned flight to Mars or something.

I mean, I'm grasping as straws because as far as themes go ... face value is that it sucks. But I thought a western theme was going to be campy, and I really liked it, so ... we'll see.

Hope it really is the latter. It would at least make some sense. I really hope they don't jump the martian shark with this episode.

Or ... the victim was a retired astronaut who  taught kids about space (and, of course, advocated a manned mission to Mars) at Space Camp! I can't come up with the way he's killed though ... all I can think is that it looks like he was killed by aliens, and that's a bit too close to the S3 episode. Except it looked like she had been abducted, so maybe this looks more like the aliens came to Earth. I'm not sure how that'd tie into Mars ... unless they were Martians. Sort of like a "War of the Worlds" theme.

The more I think about it there are more and more possibilities that fit into Castle's definition of quirky without being flat-out stupid ideas showhorned into a theme,

It could be good, if done well like the Western episode.  Or it could be like That 70s Show.

Maybe it's like that real life case where some astronaut killed her boyfriend or her boyfriend's wife or something.  There were all these stories about how she wore a diaper so she could drive all night to get to their house? 

Or maybe that's where Castle was for two months.  Aliens came and told him he was actually an alien and took him to meet his real people.  But he came back because he missed Beckett and his family, and had to erase his memory because he knew no one would believe him.  Or maybe there was a space war with another alien species and his side lost and he wanted to erase the guilt.

<<Aliens came and told him he was actually an alien and took him to meet his real people.>>

I'm pretty sure I've read a fanfic with that plot. Martha was in on it, raising him as her own. Amnesia was involved too.

AHA! We have unpeeled the Castle onion!

Maybe it's like that real life case where some astronaut killed her boyfriend or her boyfriend's wife or something.  There were all these stories about how she wore a diaper so she could drive all night to get to their house?

This made me immediately hit google search it sounded so freaky and yet....

obssessed diaper wearing astronaut charged with murder

Wow.

Or maybe that's where Castle was for two months.  Aliens came and told him he was actually an alien and took him to meet his real people.  But he came back because he missed Beckett and his family, and had to erase his memory because he knew no one would believe him.  

I think we have a winner here, that sorts out the mythology business which is great. 

Haha, thanks for the laughs.  At this point, NASA conspiracies are probably fresher than CIA conspiracies

Is someone on the writing staff a big fan of space?  The getting married in space joke was never funny to me.  Let's hope they do better this time around.  Though in light of the Virgin tragedy, laughs might not be the natural response to space travel.  Space seems to be 'in' in Hollywood at present, going back to Gravity and this year with Interstellar, so maybe that's another reason why it got picked as a theme.

Are we going to discover that Castle has custom made astronaut suits for him and his missus? Practical for cosplay at least, which they do seem to be fond of. ;) Are we going to see them practicing anti gravity sex or at least making a quip about it? Heh.  Beckett is flexible after all. 

I want to know if Stana could keep a straight face when she shared the Mars spoiler with Matt heh.

Oh yeah, I remember that creepy astronaut diaper case.

Edited by madmaverick

I'm on mobile and my heart jumped a little because all I can see at the end of that URL is 'cancelled'. Way to jumpstart my afternoon.

Not an official pickup, but with the TCA stuff happening today people were guessing there would be rumblings of the decision they were heading. Certianly a cancellation, if Stana and Nathan were out. ABC would want the press from being able to sell it as "the final season".

Yes, a yellow post of doom! But not really here. I am doing the post like this as it is an official request and I want everyone to see this: In the future, if you are posting a link and it is not in text form within the post already, but just a link alone with no text, please put a short description. It's too easy to just post a link and can be misconstrued as spam (as PTV has had some).

Thank you and carry on!

OT - but I'm glad to see that ABC likes Agent Carter. I love any Action!Girl story.

Also ... the red hat.

Back on topic, there had been rumblings that Paul Lee did not have any love for Castle because it predated his reign at ABC. I hope this means he has changed his mind.

“We love Castle, we love those two, and we want to see Castle on the air for many years to come.” Though not officially announcing a Season 8 renewal, he ventured to say, “It will be coming back.” (But again, not a formal pick-up, yet.)

Well based on that quote from Lee I'd say they've obviously got a deal in place otherwise surely he would be way more circumspect. It would be nice if ABC could confirm the final decision sooner rather than have things drag on with fans in doubt. 

As for Paul Lee's feelings about the show, does it really matter? In the end with these decisions these high powered execs take I would have thought it comes down to whether it's good business sense or not to keep a show going and his personal feelings don't come into it that much.   

Edited by verdana

Thanks Hal, that's what I thought, like you say the "we love Castle" bit is your standard PR guff, he probably says that about every show. Castle is doing well enough from a business POV so it stays simple as that. I chuckled when you said he doesn't even watch TV. 

Edited by verdana
Well based on that quote from Lee I'd say they've obviously got a deal in place otherwise surely he would be way more circumspect. It would be nice if ABC could confirm the final decision sooner rather than have things drag on with fans in doubt.

The blurb pretty much told me that the show is returning. For how long is the question. But I think one won't really know until May, as is the usual.

Yeah, I don't think we'll know for sure until May, either.

And I've always been of the opinion that past this season, with the contract business, has always been in Stana and Nathan's court. I've assumed that ABC's content enough to want to keep the show, and those comments from Lee just back that up. I'm glad for Stana and Nathan - that gives them some bargaining power (and neither seem like the type to make completely outlandish requests), but really, if the show ends after this season (it won't, pretty sure), it would be because either of them wanted to walk away.

Keeping it plain and simple, although she could have done a bit more with her hair, I don't like the messy parting she has going on there.

I wish the dress had a better cut. Satin is pretty unforgiving and the way that that dress is cut makes it look a little ... potato sack-y. It's too drapey to be flattering. I think it needed a waist, at least. Which is a shame, because Stana's got the body to pull off satin and I like the color a lot. (She seems to like pink, too. She wears hot bold pink/magenta a lot, it feels like.)

Edited by McManda

I must admit at first I thought the dress was pink then I saw another set of pictures and it looked obviously red....it's strange how some dresses come off looking a different colour depending on the source. I agree that particular style can risk looking shapeless. However, it's a definite improvement on that transparent Ferretti number she was wearing the other day.

Edited by verdana

From Matt at TV|Line:

Is there anything Castle-related you have to share? –Mandy
I know we kinda swore off teasing the upcoming two-parter any further — especially now that this spoilery cat is out of the bag, sigh — but I could not abstain from relaying what Tamala Jones had to say about the February sweeps event. “You’ve never seen a Castle episode like these. It’s completely outrageous,” she effused. “You’re going to cry, you’re going to think someone died…. Your mind and your heart are going to be one.” Jones went on to say that Part 1 ends with a cliffhanger that will leave you “pissed that Part 2 isn’t coming on the next day,” while the actual conclusion is “emotionally driven” with regards to, among others, Lanie’s best friend, Kate. “There’s some serious, serious ish going on!”

“You’re going to cry, you’re going to think someone died…. Your mind and your heart are going to be one.” Jones went on to say that Part 1 ends with a cliffhanger that will leave you “pissed that Part 2 isn’t coming on the next day,” while the actual conclusion is “emotionally driven” with regards to, among others, Lanie’s best friend, Kate. “There’s some serious, serious ish going on!”

Why does that scare me?

“You’re going to cry, you’re going to think someone died…. Your mind and your heart are going to be one.” Jones went on to say that Part 1 ends with a cliffhanger that will leave you “pissed that Part 2 isn’t coming on the next day,” while the actual conclusion is “emotionally driven” with regards to, among others, Lanie’s best friend, Kate. “There’s some serious, serious ish going on!”

Why does that scare me?

Maybe because it sounds like code for "Beckett's walls go back up" or even further, a Caskett split.

A series of innuendo laden quips seems more their scene.

A new show, presumably set in space, featured an anti-gravity sex scene in their promo that got some attention from the critics.  It looks more unintentionally funny than sexy to me though.  Maybe they were going for deadly serious and the survival of the human race was depending on it heh.

So it seems pretty clear that Beckett will get kidnapped by 3XK & Co. in the 2 parter.  I forget, is it Amann & Marlowe writing the 2 parter again?  I hope they can handle any melodrama appropriately.  I bet they are going to go for creepy, but don't think they can pull off something on the level of The Silence of the Lambs.  I don't want to be laughing when we have Dr. Nieman caressing Beckett's beautiful face.  And if Castle really thinks Beckett is dead (I hope he doesn't give up hope) and the whole kidnapping is as brutal on the emotions as it should be, then they better have an emotional reunion scene that lasts longer than 3 secs and isn't dimly lit.  It will be predictable but disappointing if they immediately switch back to close on 3XK and his next move evil face right after Caskett are reunited.  Caskett reunion scenes have been pretty disappointing generally at the hands of Amann/Marlowe so expectations are low.

Let's hope Tamala gets to do some emoting in the episode itself and not just in interviews. ;)

I don't think 3XK will die at the end of it because Amann/Marlowe will be wanting to string that out even further.  Though really, after framing Castle for murder and kidnapping Beckett, where else can they take the personal stakes?

Yeah I'm thinking the show is going to give us a "Castle thinks 3xk killed Kate" scenario.

This! 

Though I have to say I take anything Tamala says with a grain of salt. She likes to seriously hype things up. 

I ignore anything Tamala says about up coming episodes it's like she's been wired for hyperbole.

Everything is always the most amazing/crazy/emotional event ever you've seen and you will be screaming/sobbing/terrified etc.

I presume it's going to revolve around Kate and her being kidnapped by Nieman as others have surmised hence the emotional cliffhanger. Although if it's Beckett "dying" I'm not going to be too concerned about her survival prospects. 

Edited by verdana
I forget, is it Amann & Marlowe writing the 2 parter again?

Part 1 is Amann with Row directing and part 2 is Marlowe/Bowman. 

And if Castle really thinks Beckett is dead (I hope he doesn't give up hope) and the whole kidnapping is as brutal on the emotions as it should be, then they better have an emotional reunion scene that lasts longer than 3 secs and isn't dimly lit.  It will be predictable but disappointing if they immediately switch back to close on 3XK and his next move evil face right after Caskett are reunited.  Caskett reunion scenes have been pretty disappointing generally at the hands of Amann/Marlowe so expectations are low.

This. I've been terribly disappointed by every big reunion scene they've had, they can't get the simple emotional stuff right. I want to SEE them kiss, hug, hold each other and be obviously blissfully relieved to be together again safe and sound.  None of this artful cagey crap Bowman keeps doing where I have to imagine it because they're hiding behind a strategically placed pot plant in silhouette or they're about to kiss and get interrupted by a dog, cat, bird or Espo going yo Beckett because Marlowe still thinks this is hysterically funny.

I don't have much faith in the "emotionally driven" journey that they're going to be sent on as I too find Marlowe is the writer least capable of delivering those genuinely powerful emotive moments between characters. He seems much more comfortable to focus on the obvious superficial drama of it all and the actions of the villain than the more intimate, emotionally nuanced moments that would affect Castle and Beckett which is what I care about and want to see as the story unfolds.

However, what I do like about the sound of the two parter is that it seems way more personal this season revolving around Castle and Beckett and not a "save the world" style scenario. Got to hope that Amann and Marlowe don't screw it up. 

Edited by verdana

Stana Katic Spain - 7hrs

‏@StanaKaticES

#SPOILER

@NathanFillion, @Jon_Huertas & @seamusdever on location today.

#Castle

https://twitter.com/StanaKaticES/status/555967952361881600

It's what Castle is wearing (nice to see it again) and oh who he's with of course that confirms what quite a few suspected about this private eye business.  Must have started filming #7.16 by now I would have thought so looks like we're back to business as usual.

Edited by verdana

I think I must be the only one that's interested by the idea of Tyson/Niemann going after Beckett.

They're not doing it because they think she's a threat or anything. They're doing it because Tyson has had this vendetta against Castle since he figured out Tyson was 3XK. He's gotten progressively closer to hurting Castle (first leaving Castle, the writer, with his what-ifs, then he got bold and decided it would be more fun to watch him die, then when that didn't work he went after Beckett ("got your girl, Castle!") as a shield). What could Tyson do, other than killing Castle, that would destroy him? Go after his family. He could go after Alexis (which might be overdone, considering she's already been taken in the spy-daddy storyline) or Martha, but it makes more sense, now more than ever, to go after Beckett.

Why? They're coming off of Castle's disappearance and a ruined wedding. They've gotten their relationship back on track. And Tyson isn't stupid; he knows he can get the emotional punch by targeting Beckett and maybe the upperhand if he splits them up.

This has the potential to be great. I want the 2-parter to be big, but intimate. High-stakes, but small scale. Protective, dramatic Castle is one of the best sides of him. I'll watch that a thousand times over another government conspiracy where the next three letter agency has to come in to help.

• Love 4

I think I must be the only one that's interested by the idea of Tyson/Niemann going after Beckett.

I like the idea of Nieman coming back (not so much 3xK), quite a few fans prefer his Disciple she's a fresher character and genuinely creepy. 3XK has lost his lustre with the repeated outings. I also don't get why he keeps coming back, he seemed a much smarter guy when all he wanted to do was get lost.  

Edited by verdana

Must have started filming #7.16 by now I would have thought so looks like we're back to business as usual.

They start filming 7.16 today. Terri wrote it and Paul H is directing.

Count me in who is looking forward to 3XK and Doc N working in tandem.

Edited by Nadine

When 3XK and Neimen come back they will go after Kate.

Of course, but I suspect that the aftermath will result in an distance between Castle and Beckett. I am dubious that TPTB will be able to resist the typical "must-break-up-couple", and a 3XK/Niemann kidnap scenario seems likely to accomplish that as an emotional consequence.

CASTLE: I, Witness, ABC media press release.

“I, Witness” – Castle is hired to uncover if a client’s husband is having an affair, but the case takes a shocking turn when Castle witnesses the client’s murder – by her husband. But with no proof that the killing took place, Castle and Beckett must investigate to expose the truth, on “Castle,” MONDAY, FEBRUARY 2 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

I came across this info on another message board, but it was news to me. Anyone else hear or read this?

"We also know that Castle goes to Niemann for help with his amnesia."

Did I miss this spoiler tidbit? I guess it's possible I glossed over something in an interview or piece on TV Line, TV Guide, etc. lol 

I don't think 3XK will die at the end of it because Amann/Marlowe will be wanting to string that out even further.  Though really, after framing Castle for murder and kidnapping Beckett, where else can they take the personal stakes?

I hope they're smart enough to kill 3XK for good no "is he really dead?" teaser at the end, after putting Beckett's life in peril that's enough be brave writers and finish it. He's had a good run, I bet they won't though especially given the mythology has so far proved a big yawn and if they're planning on a season 8 and beyond they'll need something to fall back on. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Of course, but I suspect that the aftermath will result in an distance between Castle and Beckett. I am dubious that TPTB will be able to resist the typical "must-break-up-couple", and a 3XK/Niemann kidnap scenario seems likely to accomplish that as an emotional consequence.

I don't know, I think tptb have been pretty good thus far about not throwing in "let's take a break" when they're dealing with stressful situations. I don't really see why this one would be any different.

I've been out of the spoiler loop so I'd've missed that, too, but I don't think Castle would ever go to creepy Niemann for anything, especially knowing she's working with Tyson, who Castle knows is out to ruin his life. I'd say that's just fan speculation, unless someone can point to a source.

Did I miss this spoiler tidbit? I guess it's possible I glossed over something in an interview or piece on TV Line, TV Guide, etc. lol 

Never heard that before and I thought I'd read every interview going but they all tend to merge together after a while. 

I've been out of the spoiler loop so I'd've missed that, too, but I don't think Castle would ever go to creepy Niemann for anything, especially knowing she's working with Tyson, who Castle knows is out to ruin his life. I'd say that's just fan speculation, unless someone can point to a source.

Apparently, it's just someone making the statement with no source to quote, so I'm just going to presume they don't know this for certain or it's outright false. Like you, I don't see Castle going to her for help, so it sounded oddly out of character to me. 

I don't see Castle going to her for help, so it sounded oddly out of character to me.

Isn't she also missing? If he could just reach out to her, I think they would just arrest her.  I guess the only way it could work is if he's kidnapped by her and she offers in one of those creepy ways villains offer help on TV/movies.  But it sounds like just a rumor at this point.

Maybe 3XK doesn't die, but gets arrested and all because of Castle? That could win him some good will from the DA and get allowed back in the precinct.

, I bet they won't though especially given the mythology has so far proved a big yawn and if they're planning on a season 8 and beyond they'll need something to fall back on. 

I think the worst thing about the new mythology is the fact that everybody is acting like it didn't happen. Can you imagine coming to all shot, cut & diseased up. Then you find out you were just sort of floating around in the ocean & have been gone for 2 or 3 months & can't remember shit about it. I just can't see myself saying "Oh well I'll worry about it later."

• Love 3

Castle going to Niemann knowing that it's Niemann would be just daft, but it's possible that Niemann has set up shop under an alias that somehow draws Castle in. That's the only way I can see how that speculation could work.

Sneak peek. Hello sexy times. I'm shocked.

Sexy times in 2 consecutive episodes.   I'm terribly shocked. :P  Of course, I will be terribly, terribly shocked if it ever happens that sexy times aren't interrupted. ;)

In fairness, I do have to say that I find there to be more passion and intimacy in general this season, and stronger chemistry more consistently.  At least sexy times exist on screen even if interrupted.  Remember that long dry spell when we barely saw them more than peck each other on the lips for 1 second?

Also nice to see Castle take more of an initiative when it comes to sexy times even if Beckett's on top heh.  I got a kick out of Castle knowing that there were 2 buttons on the collar of Beckett's shirt.  I wonder if that line was improv'ed.  A fanfic needs to be written about Castle's familiarity with Beckett's wardrobe. :P

Do they really love role play or what?  

The worst thing about the mythology is that the writers didn't commit to it wholeheartedly.  Both on the show, and possibly in their heads despite Marlowe going on about how he couldn't wait to delve in to it. ;)  Yeah right, tell me that 10+ episodes later.  There's no sense of urgency from the writers, hence none from the characters, hence none from the audience.  So how can a compelling story be told and it should be compelling if a man got kidnapped by unknown forces on his wedding day, the love of his life thought he was dead/missing, and he came back with amnesia.  That's the stuff drama is made of (pun intended). ;)

Almost all shows seem to think a mythology of sorts is required these days but precious few of them can really write them well and weave it in flawlessly throughout the season.  Mythologies also tend to get progressively worse over the seasons as they get increasingly convoluted and the writers can't find a logical or interesting way out.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 2

Sexy times in 2 consecutive episodes.   I'm terribly shocked. :P  Of course, I will be terribly, terribly shocked if it ever happens that sexy times aren't interrupted. ;)

I predict we will see (interrupted) sexytimes in every episode until he ends up back at the precinct. It's only at times like this when they're got a difficult story to peddle that the writers manage to convince me that Castle and Beckett are a couple with an active hot sex life or any sex life for that matter. Edited by verdana