Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

(edited)

The only way I would find an amnesia storyline compelling, maybe, is if they focused on Castle's emotional journey as he struggles to find himself, and his footing in his relationships again.  But if he's quickly back to having fun investigating toy moguls and invisible killers, then that really puts a kibosh on a more sober meaningful emotional journey from his ordeal.  And if amnesia doesn't change anything in his relationship with Beckett, then the whole kidnapped plot doesn't generate new ground to explore with Caskett, and I don't see why it was storytelling that had to happen before their wedding, or why it would make them delay the wedding any longer.

If they have to go down the amnesia route that's the kind of thing I want them to explore because you're right it's the only way it becomes interesting as a story arc.  From what I've heard and read for those who have suffered amnesia it's obviously distressing, disorientating and can cause serious emotional issues with friends and family as the person tries to slowly re-establish connections with people/situations they no longer recall.  I'd like to see Castle struggling with that and Beckett, Alexis and Martha finding various ways to help him may be not always very successfully. 

But do I think it happen? No.  By the looks of what's coming up the amnesia issue will be brushed under the rug by the latest 7.02 and we won't get to see any genuine emotional turmoil from Castle or hear how they're coping over the weeks and months that follow. And if that's the case (unless he's got total amnesia which I doubt) then my very next question is "why don't they just get married?" 

Stana hit the nail on the head when she said in that Greek interview that one of the reasons that Castle was so successful is that you can "dip in" to the show at any time without needing to play catch up to the story. Which obviously might be nice for some but for those craving some emotional continuity for the characters it can make that method of storytelling feel very flat and disjointed at times as major things happen which don't impact on the characters for very long before everyone moves on to a new COTW.  

No those pics are new, they've just come up on tumblr I was about to post them but yeah they're nothing shocking given how it ended.  

For some reason this one (enlarged) makes me sad and angry at the same time. Poor Beckett (or should I say Stana in what's clearly a BTS shot) in her ruined mother's dress. Why the hell did they have to wreck that one? I would rather they had made her wear that disgusting Luke creation and ruined that. Castle never got to see her looking radiant in her mother's gown walking up the aisle, that's tainted forever. Marlowe had better be getting his creative writing cap on to make up for 6.23 and give us finally a decent genuinely emotional wedding. 

Edited by verdana

For some reason this one (enlarged) makes me sad and angry at the same time. Poor Beckett (or should I say Stana in what's clearly a BTS shot) in her ruined mother's dress. Why the hell did they have to wreck that one? I would rather they had made her wear that disgusting Luke creation and ruined that. Castle never got to see her looking radiant in her mother's gown walking up the aisle, that's tainted forever. Marlowe had better be getting his creative writing cap on to make up for 6.23 and give us finally a decent genuinely emotional wedding. 

She sure doesn't look happy in that one. Such a waste on so many levels. After that season I don't wanna hear them say we can't do that and that because of money issues.

• Love 1

It looks like she must have been scrabbling around in the ditch by the looks of that dirt caked on and the messed up shoes ...that picture kind of sums up the waste of an entire season. The wedding that never was. 

Okay here is what I don't get about that picture, if Castle is the on the murder board then presumably they think he's dead? But if they had found a charred body they would be able to ascertain pretty quickly that it's not him from dental records and if there's no body then there is no victim, it's just a missing guy. 

It looks like they took that picture down, but Castle would hardly be the first TV show to have a person identified as dead by dental records/DNA, only to turn up alive.  But I hope they don't go that route.  Because I think it would make the relationship kind of off if Beckett spends months grieving and then suddenly he's back and thinks the wedding was yesterday.  It would be like Alias season 3.  That was a much better show and they couldn't even pull off that storyline.  But her spending months looking for him has a similar affect.

It would be interesting if they had Castle slowly getting memories back throughtout the season, and then by the finale they can prove it was 3XK and actually take him down.  But Castle has a bad track record with things happening across multiple episodes.  Was it TV Line that said the first two episodes weren't exactly a 2-parter, but also was not NOT a 2-parter? I'm trying to guess what that means.

I mean, she cooked Castle a giant breakfast the next episode, for goodness sake.) But yeah, it's just another detail that the writers forgot.

Maybe he thought she only cooked breakfast food?  Or she just hadn't cooked dinner for him before? 

(edited)

Oh yay, NerdHQ is happening again. I know Zach Levi was doing crowdfunding to get this year's event happening, but I never heard if he reached his goal or not. (His goal was something like $1,000,000, because it's apparently decently pricey to run. But it's non-profit and a huge fundraiser for Operation Smile and seems like it's more intimate and maybe a better experience than ComicCon, so I was really hoping it would happen again this year.

It's also really great that they livestream panels for people like me that can't actually get out there. That's worth the donation itself, imo.

I'll watch his panels ... and probably Alan's too. And Craig Ferguson's. And I'm half-hoping that the badass women panel includes Stana, even though I know it's unlikely.

Edited by McManda

Maybe he thought she only cooked breakfast food?  Or she just hadn't cooked dinner for him before?

Well, with their odd schedules catching murderers, I'd probably believe that she just really never had time to make him a meal, especially since he seems to like cooking himself. I'm not sure that would explain away why she never helped him/he didn't notice her helping him in the kitchen, but that's okay.

As far as that dress photo goes - nothing is tainted unless we let it be. Production probably has several copies of the dress, so it's a plausible storyline that Beckett just has the dress cleaned. It's easier to save a dress from water and dirt than it is whatever (probably literal) crap that exploded all over the ugly dress.

But I have to agree that her look is more probably because of the pap-like invasion and not a reflection of her character's mindset. Considering that she's had to amp up security for whatever reason several times, I'd think people would want to be more considerate.

It would be interesting if they had Castle slowly getting memories back throughtout the season, and then by the finale they can prove it was 3XK and actually take him down.  But Castle has a bad track record with things happening across multiple episodes.  Was it TV Line that said the first two episodes weren't exactly a 2-parter, but also was not NOT a 2-parter? I'm trying to guess what that means.

I'm sure it was TV Line who confirmed that initially, but Matt on his twitter backtracked a little and later clarified that:  

Matt Mitovich ‏@MattMitovich  Jul 18

@TotallyCastle I made an assumption, and I was "slightly" off the mark. But it's not NOT a two-parter....

And I guess he means by that there's some carry over from events in the premiere for Caskett that they have to deal with but there's a new case (the toy mogul). So the episodes are linked in one way but not in another, that's the way I'm looking at it. 

halaciHU, no analogies this time… I was just trying to point out that it isn’t the format known as “TV show” that is broke/struggling (as I understood your analogy) because there is a great demand for entertainment (i.a. TV Shows) from the desired and other age groups who also could be future potential consumer of new products. So it isn’t the Show (in general) that is at risk in future times but the networks. I believe TV Shows can always find a home/ medium to be consumed by the masses, they don’t need Broadcast TV. They might not even need many advertisers because it looks like ppl are more willing to pay for what they deem good entertainment.

What I meant with my second part is that ads need an audience. Unless advertisers/ companies find other as results-producing ways to make their product/services known (internet sites, radio, print, social media), there will be a kind of codependency with the entertainment industry and/ or the distributors.

Oh yay, NerdHQ is happening again. I know Zach Levi was doing crowdfunding to get this year's event happening, but I never heard if he reached his goal or not.

He didn’t reach 1.000.000, it was something above 333.333 if I remember correctly. But apparently it was enough. Another bigger investor maybe? I originally planned to go but work, vacations planning and an impatient thesis unfortunately didn’t allow this to happen. However, the video streams definitely make up for this.

• Love 1
(edited)

So ... there's a two month span (after their failed wedding) where the investigation (and Beckett) is looking for Castle? He's gone - from Beckett, from Alexis, from anyone that might recognize his fairly famous face - for two months? I get that there's a time jump and we won't see much (if any) of that, but there better be one hell of a reunion scene.

I can't say exactly why, but the idea that he's missing and presumed dead for that long doesn't sit well with me.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 3
(edited)
I'd probably believe that she just really never had time to make him a meal, especially since he seems to like cooking himself. I'm not sure that would explain away why she never helped him/he didn't notice her helping him in the kitchen, but that's okay.

Murder He Wrote was relatively early in their relationship.  But he shouldn't have been totally shocked by it.

As far as that dress photo goes - nothing is tainted unless we let it be.

I like your optimistic viewpoint.

I can't say exactly why, but the idea that he's missing and presumed dead for that long doesn't sit well with me.

Same here, that was one thing I was hoping wouldn't happen.

Edited by KaveDweller

Thanks for the pics, hadn't seen them.

Bummer, it really looks like Beckett won't be getting married in her mom's dress, and in the dream Hamptons location.  It's not definitive that they can't use either again, and for storytelling purposes I think they can make it work, but I get the feeling the writers might want the eventual wedding to be a different creature altogether.  To me, they've now really got to work extra hard to make sure the real thing is even more romantic and special after all the obstacles.  If it feels like an anticlimatic afterthought, then that would be a failure in imagination indeed.  Guess they had to burn up more $ burning up another Mercedes, and now they have to save up for a 3rd wedding dress.  Let's hope there's enough $ left when the wedding finally happens.  

Beckett's hair looks wet as well.  Does she get sprayed by the firefighters when she tries to get closer to the car to see if Castle is in there?  

The boys look a little like wedding caterers with their jackets off heh.

I wonder what the next scene will be after they leave the scene of the burning car... if they want to keep it compelling, they should keep the personal focus on the loved ones' reactions.  Since they're going the burning car route, I actually don't mind them going with thinking he's actually dead for a while first before they get that glimpse of hope that he's possibly alive and kidnapped.  Might as well examine characters in that bleakest depth of despair before they get that ray of hope.  I wouldn't mind seeing it but I don't think they'll show us Castle's funeral.  A morgue scene could be very powerful.

For me, the saddest spoilery pics so far have been Beckett in her spoiled dress, and Beckett in the precinct with that solitary coffee cup!  Can't help hoping no one gets her coffee 'cause that's Castle's job.  Castle appearing in Beckett's subconscious as she grieves could be touching if done right but they're probably not going to go all ghosty.  It would be good for Castle to have a physical or otherwise presence in the aftermath of his 'death' because the show is still strongest when they 'interact'.

(edited)
For me, the saddest spoilery pics so far have been Beckett in her spoiled dress, and Beckett in the precinct with that solitary coffee cup!  Can't help hoping no one gets her coffee 'cause that's Castle's job.  Castle appearing in Beckett's subconscious as she grieves could be touching if done right but they're probably not going to go all ghosty.  It would be good for Castle to have a physical or otherwise presence in the aftermath of his 'death' because the show is still strongest when they 'interact'.

I thought the same thing regarding the coffee.

Unlike Rise where we got a few scenes before the time jump (returning to work) or Valkyrie (after acceptance of proposal scene) - I think we might get a placecard Day ... situation popping up instead that then leads up to the two months - that way they can at least show the aftermath of the crash and the start of the investigation (plus it'd match up with the amount of scenes NF will probably have in the episode due to not being on set sometime this week because of his Comic Con appearances later in the week. So I think (and this is totally speculative on my behalf) taking that into account, we might get around the same Castle screentime (or just a bit under) what the character got in Beast in S6.

Edited by Nadine
(edited)

So far I've read nothing that in any way has me excited for season 7. When we were starting to get spoilers for Valkyrie last season we at least had the engagement to be happy about. What do we have this season? Dead Castle? Traumatic brain injury Castle? Funeral scenes? Another ruined wedding dress? More shitty unconvincing reasons to postpone a wedding that should have happened last season? I mean really. What's going to be an honest, organic (vomit), "fun" way to show character death and amnesia? And not only that but how is Hacklowe/Amann et. al. going to find a way to give the fans a satisfying and emotionally proper wedding after the fuckery of last season? I'm genuinely curious.

And while we always have to tip our hats to Hacklowe and P.A. Terri for Always I will be interested to know what you guys think when you see the deleted scene. Blowman was right to be annoyed at them for pissing away that scene. They're quick to point out in the most egomaniacal way possible that the scene was over where they cut it and so the second half of the scene was not necessary. I totally disagree. But time will tell.

Edited by Elysium1973

Seamus Dever @seamusdever
“@Ma_Celeste97: Looking good @seamusdever pic.twitter.com/8EV75m2InG” Sometimes I work in catering

LOL. At least he's around for the premier for the Hampton scenes. Maybe Jim will be around too. How odd would it be if he wasn't anywhere to comfort Beckett?

Maybe Nathan Fillion got slap happy from Neil Patrick Harris. Both were in Dr. Horrible and a long-running gag on How I Met Your Mother was the slap bet, with a series of slaps given without warning. Of course, NPH's Barney got a few.

Or maybe it's just something guys go for.

But if neither party objects, and it's all in fun, well - I don't see the issue. And I personally can't ascribe the "bully" label to anyone without knowing the facts. As was said, NF has the reputation of one of the nicest guys in the biz from all he comes into contact with. So it doesn't sound like he's some big douche.

I actually did work with NPH on a terrible movie about 15 years ago (before his career restarted from that dopey TV show he was on) and I can tell you my personal experience from dealing with him every day for six weeks: he's a conceited asshole. And by asshole I mean he's one of the biggest pricks I had the misfortune of working with (William Hurt and Rose McGowan topped the list). He was the kind of asshat that routinely opened the door to his trailer with his shirt off and his jeans unzipped. Like why would I want to look at that hot mess? And he and I are the same age, which made the whole thing that much more unsettling. It really got boring to be around people who were so intellectually middling - which necessaistated a career change - but that's neither here nor there. The fact is that if Fillion picked up the unequivocally annoying habit of slapping people (outside of a fraternity) from NPH, well, that doesn't say much.

Good to see Nathan doing Nerd HQ again. 

I may not get his sense of humour all the time, but humour can be a very subjective thing.

Yeah absolutely. With Nathan there are times when I totally get his sense of humor but then others I'm shaking my head because I don't get why it's even remotely funny.

(edited)

I totally thought Seamus was one of the caters until I looked more closely. 

As far as that dress photo goes - nothing is tainted unless we let it be.

That dress has been tainted utterly for me, sure they can clean it up but all I'll be thinking as she walks around in it is about that finale and the look of horror and grief on her face (which admittedly did make me laugh at the time) when it should have been a joyful day.  And then I got to see Stana in those BTS shots of her in the dress which they released the day after the finale aired which would have been lovely to see IF we had got the wedding but just felt as if my nose was being well and truly rubbed in it. 

In any case, Marlowe won't want to repeat himself at least not with this, he's been ticking off wedding moments all last season and been giving fans bits of a ceremony without really giving it to them. So I expect more dollars to be spent on Kate in a third wedding outfit and they can economize elsewhere with a quickie wedding with not many extras but I bet we don't see the Hamptons used again as a wedding location.  

But then again as we have already "seen" her in a lovely wedding dress makes me wonder if they'll decide to bother and she'll be dressed in something much more casual.

Maybe Jim will be around too. How odd would it be if he wasn't anywhere to comfort Beckett?

Surely they need to get Jim back for the premiere, they kind of got away with it in the finale but I don't see how they can ignore him when Beckett has just lost Castle.  We know he's there at the event it would feel so off if they didn't interact at all.  

Edited by verdana

But then again as we have already "seen" her in a lovely wedding dress makes me wonder if they'll decide to bother and she'll be dressed in something much more casual.

Surely they need to get Jim back for the premiere, they kind of got away with it in the finale but I don't see how they can ignore him when Beckett has just lost Castle.  We know he's there at the event it would feel so off if they didn't interact at all.  

I don't think they are going for a 3rd wedding dress. They'll either clean up her mom's dress or don't have her wearing one at all. I'll opt for no wedding dress. Like you said they had all those little moments throughout the season: the dance, the vows, the dress(es). I hope they'll give us something small and intimate like either in the precinct or the loft but so far I don't have faith in the writers. In the end it will be like Martha said: off to the court house and get it done.

If I'll be honest, once they are done with the wedding location, presents and finding Castle, I don't wanna hear anything wedding related for at least half a season. I'm so done with that subject.

• Love 1
Yes there is a two month time jump. If I understood the info I was given correctly they don't find Castle until after the jump.

Time jump in the first episode or second. Or time jump in episode one towards the middle, the rest of ep is getting Castle to normalcy and episode 2 is explanation/investigation of what happened? Also if Castle/Beckett don't get married quick I call bullshit! After all this they'd want to not waste anymore time. 

(edited)

Stana and Luke at the Television Academy's Costume Design Nominee Reception. The 1st wedding dress is on display. 

ETA: And Stana's wearing the same Beckett blazer/blouse combo from episode 6x23. 

Edited by Samantha84

I actually think they'll do something really dramatic for the next wedding (attempt) as well. There's this scenario stuck in my head where either Beckett or Castle is hurt and in the hospital and when they come to they're so desperate to get married that they'll just have the hospital chaplain say a few words and wed them. That way they don't have to spend money on a new dress, a location and an actual ceremony.

I hope it won't happen that way but on Castle nothing emotionally grave has ever happened without any drama beforehand. 

(edited)

Thanks Samantha for the info.

Some more pictures here on this blog.

Costume design Emmy nominee reception at FIDM

close up of stana  || 19.07.14

Another larger pic here of Luke and Stana. I prefer her hair when it's got a bit more body to it than that.  Looks kind or lank and lifeless, don't like the centre parting much.  Length is good though. 

As for Luke he should be serving jail time for crimes against fashion as far as I'm concerned. Yeah I know he's got lots of experience in the business and worked on other shows but he dresses Nathan like shit and if he can't even the basics of dressing a big guy like him right (and it can be done) then I don't think he deserves to even get a sniff of an award show. 

If he won anything it would be a travesty. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2
(edited)

If I'll be honest, once they are done with the wedding location, presents and finding Castle, I don't wanna hear anything wedding related for at least half a season. I'm so done with that subject.

I don't want to hear about any wedding related chatter other than to hear them say okay lets get married on this day and they go ahead and actually do it.  No more silly drama or fuss or bloody wedding preparation. I've had it with Marlowe screwing around over this and I don't want any more teasing about when it could be for weeks on end with tweets and interviews, I'm not interested in that bullshit after what's already happened.

I could see them doing something really wacky and off the cuff because they increasingly go for the comedic element where possible, although I hope to God it's not on a roller coaster as suggested by Castle. Or something like Lucynda mentioned just to get around the cost and surprise everyone. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2
For me, the saddest spoilery pics so far have been Beckett in her spoiled dress, and Beckett in the precinct with that solitary coffee cup!

Anyone know if this picture is still posted somewhere? I don't know why I want to see a sad picture, but I do.

I don't care what Beckett wears when they finally get married or where they are.  I just want to hear them saying their vows.  Nice, romantic, loving vows.

• Love 2
(edited)

Anyone know if this picture is still posted somewhere? I don't know why I want to see a sad picture, but I do.

I don't care what Beckett wears when they finally get married or where they are.  I just want to hear them saying their vows.  Nice, romantic, loving vows.

The one in the precinct with Castle on the murder board is gone. At least I can't find the tweet anymore. It has been deleted.

The one in the wedding dress is here: http://thecastlelibrary.tumblr.com/post/92255264516/castle-7-01-july-16-2014

Ok did some digging and found it again: https://twitter.com/TheCaskett/status/490397930856005633/photo/1

Edited by cappuccino

Molly and Luke and that awful dress is in the background in that first pic by the looks of things. I had forgotten just how hideous it really was, they say your brain can block out certain traumatic memories to protect itself, may be that's what happened to me with that dress. 

Christine N. Ziemba @christineziemba  ·  21h
Thanks @RedCarpetLuke for talking about "the dress" for @Stana_Katic and your work for @Castle_ABC & book

https://twitter.com/christineziemba/status/490655418390024192

The less said the better I would have thought. 

Thank you, cappuccino.  It is a rather sad picture.

I'm really curious how this whole thing is going to play out, and how long they will have been searching for him.  Do they have no leads and then suddenly something pops so they get back into it? That makes sense if it's a time jump.  And if she's in the precinct does that mean that there's an actual case too? Cause it's actually weird that the precinct would be officially dealing with a disappearance from the Hamptons.

If there has to be a time jump I'd prefer it to be after we see the reactions of Beckett, Martha, and Alexis.  The emotional fallout will save this thing for me b/c we all know Castle isn't dead so it's about the reaction of his near and dear. 

I know someone who was an extra on Castle and other shows.  She says no-one is as nice as NF.  He introduces himself to the extras, shows them where the restrooms and food table are, and tells them to get him if they have a problem if they have any problem (she says most stars of his stature ignore extras completely).   She also talked to some crewmembers who couldn't stop singing his praises - says he is the leader of the cast and crew and takes care of everyone.  One said, no-one on this cast or crew will ever say a bad word about Nathan Fillion.  No, not a jerk. 

• Love 4

Also if Castle/Beckett don't get married quick I call bullshit! After all this they'd want to not waste anymore time.

I think this really depends on Castle's physical/emotional well-being. If he's missing/presumed dead for 2 months and then they find him, I'd expect that there be an adjustment period, therapy, or at least, a period where he can adjust to being home and being normal again. I think the last thing he'd need after a traumatic situation like being abducted on his wedding day is a shotgun wedding.

Of course, if they have no ramifications of Castle being MIA for 2 months then sure, wedding at the end of episode 1.

I actually did work with NPH on a terrible movie about 15 years ago (before his career restarted from that dopey TV show he was on) and I can tell you my personal experience from dealing with him every day for six weeks: he's a conceited asshole. And by asshole I mean he's one of the biggest pricks I had the misfortune of working with (William Hurt and Rose McGowan topped the list).

Is there anyone you liked working with? Because you never have anything positive to say about your time in the industry and/or anyone you worked with and it makes me ... wonder.

I know someone who was an extra on Castle and other shows.  She says no-one is as nice as NF.  He introduces himself to the extras, shows them where the restrooms and food table are, and tells them to get him if they have a problem if they have any problem (she says most stars of his stature ignore extras completely).   She also talked to some crewmembers who couldn't stop singing his praises - says he is the leader of the cast and crew and takes care of everyone.  One said, no-one on this cast or crew will ever say a bad word about Nathan Fillion.  No, not a jerk.

This is in line with literally everything I read about the set and Nathan and Stana and the rest of the cast. By every account Castle is one of the best sets to be around because everyone is friendly and helpful and everything that goes alone with that. So when I read anything that contradicts that vast majority, I'm always left scratching my head. It doesn't really compute.

• Love 2

Yes the time jump is in 701. If I had to guess it is probably some what like valkeryrie.

Also want to clear something up because it's gets like a bad game of telephone.

I said a mob guy was involved and I think it was Vinnie. But I didn't say he was part of the new mythology. I just know there is a mob guy in the episode.

I know I am vague about the info but I also don't want it to appear that I know more that I do.

Thanks for clearing the time jump up. So guessing we'll get them at the crash site plus stuff on same day (going by the leaked location pics) then back working at precinct. Time jump to finding him and then the rest of the episode will go from there.

I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time, but I don't see C/B marrying in the premiere whether Castle feels okay or not. Stuff like that always seems to be put on hold for sweeps months. But time will obviously tell.

She's been on that set a number of times, she also says she has seen no sign of tension between NF and SK.  They often talk and laugh together between takes.  She was on the set when they did the Final Frontier - she wasn't in costume but said others were -the A/C wasn't working right and it was really hot.  NF was so worried the extras, in costume particularlly, were going to overheat - he kept asking the director and producer to get extra fans and ice. Also told them if they felt sick to tell him and he'd find an A/C'd room for them - yeah, ,not a jerk. 

So many have said the same about Nathan and his kindness on set. Also about Stana and their offscreen relationship.  

If there was any truth to those rumors someone .. an extra [or extras], someone allowed on set .. would have spoken about it. It would a buzz and there isn't. Think this came from people who believe that if Nathan/Stana aren't posting selfies or hanging out after work means they don't like each other.  They had to come up w. some reason why and this, albeit ridiculous, was the go to assumption.

Yep, exactly. If there was any bad blood or drama on the set, it would have come out somehow. Maybe not to the general public, but to people who hang out around the fansites or whatever, someone would have spilled something. It's not like Hollywood  or it's population is super discreet. Someone somewhere would be dying to let that info out for some sort of personal gain. The fact that no one has makes me believe that it doesn't exist and makes me just roll my eyes at all the unsubstantiated rumors and speculation that pop up occasionally that something must be wrong.

(edited)

Is there anyone you liked working with? Because you never have anything positive to say about your time in the industry and/or anyone you worked with and it makes me ... wonder.

As a matter of fact there were.

Matt Damon

Robin Williams

Steven Spielberg

Kenneth Branagh

Amanda Peet

Will Arnett

Anne Meara (Ben Stiller's mom, also a terrific actress)

Ben Stiller

Blythe Danner

Morgan Freeman

Matthew McConaughey

Brad Pitt

Jerry Tambor

I'm not sure if that's a comprehensive enough list for you, but I only worked in production in six years in the Northeast. The people listed above were truly wonderful to work with, though that might have changed over the years. I worked on Good Will Hunting, when no one knew who Matt and Ben were. Matt was probably the nicest guy I worked with, aside from Robin Williams. Brad Pitt was also wonderful, but this was in the 90's, so who knows how they are now? I wouldn't presume to comment on how any creative or talent is that I haven't personally dealt with. I would also take the observations of an extra with a grain of salt, good or bad, because the fact is that they're human props. They serve a purpose and I've meet some really nice background folks over the years - but they usually have very limited interaction with anyone aside from PA's and 2nd ADs.

That said, while I don't really like Fillion's sense of humor, or his slapping his co-stars, or tasing his friends I don't think he's a bad person. Not at all. He has a lot of friends and does seem to be genuinely well liked by the people he's worked with. I think my problem with him is that he's always on, if that makes any sense. There are a lot of actors that have that trait and you see it in sales too. Personally, I find it exhausting, but mileage and all that. The only important thing to me is that he's bringing 100%, every week, every episode to the character of Rick Castle. Regardless of the crappy writing (which, admittedly, it is, most of the time) because terrific actors can find a way a transcend it. And I believe he's capable of wonderful things. I've seen it! I saw it in the early seasons of this show and on Serenity and the few episodes of Firefly I caught (I'm not much of a sci fi fan). I want to watch him sparkle again - because when he's having fun it's hard to take your eyes off him.

I don't think anyone said anything said anything about NF and SK, but it certainly doesn't make me happy to think of them not getting along. I want desperately for them to get along and have the easy friendship you see in other casts (that we dare not speak of). But you even see it in ensemble casts like Modern Family, Scandal (especially between their two romantic leads), etc. I truly think them doing any joint press or even taking a candid picture together (which they didn't do last year at Paley - they didn't even sit near each other) would go a long way to quash those rumors. I suppose when the show ends we'll find out what the story is (if there is one).

Edited by Elysium1973
I truly think them doing any joint press or even taking a candid picture together (which they didn't do last year at Paley - they didn't even sit near each other) would go a long way to quash those rumors. I suppose when the show ends we'll find out what the story is (if there is one).

I actually don't think anything would put an end to the rumors at this point.  People like to talk and speculate, and negative stories get talked about more than positive ones.. If Nathan and Stana did do a joint interview together, there'd be some people who said it proved they got along, but there would be others who said they are just acting for the interview and you can tell because Nathan coughed or Stana blinked or whatever.

This is tangentially related to Castle in the media - or rather, the lack of Caskett in the media - but in regards to other casts/leads/romantic leads getting along in public, do they get the same negative response in their private life? Because I really do think that's the one giant factor keeping Stana and Nathan from doing press together.

Obviously with ensemble/comedy casts like Modern Family it's going to be easier to do public press because there's not so much of an emotional attachment. It's not like people are yearning for Ed O'Neill and Sofia Vergara to actually be together to the point of harassing them about it. But even with shows that have a male and a female lead, especially a male and a female lead in a romantic context, I can't think of any instances where they were harassed about being/not being together. Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo have never been asked about secretly dating in real life, or had their significant other harassed because of the work they do. As far as I know, same goes for Emily Deschanel and David Boreanez. There's not one TV-land couple that I can think of that I've heard had to deal with kind of borderline cyber-bullying Nathan and Stana and their close friends/family/significant others have had to deal with, especially in places like Twitter.

I guess that says something about the kind of fans, even though I know an overwhelming majority are enthusiastic in a respectful way. And part of me is happy that they built that kind of chemistry that make people want them to be together for real, because it means that they're doing something right in their work. But tweeting hateful messages at significant others, or creeping on extended family that doesn't want to live in public (mostly Stana's family, Nathan's brother seems to enjoy it), or constantly badgering them with questions about if/why they're together or not together is not okay. It's a catch-22 - what people say they want the most is exactly why they're not getting it.

So I can't say I fault them for keeping separate in public. It's easier that way, especially when then they only have to live with the untrue rumors that they hate each other.

(edited)

Yeah you're probably right. But I do think it would help to some degree. I mean they're actors. I would imagine they could act like they like each other for five minutes. But who knows?

You would think.   If they never stopped doing press together I don't think it would be as much of an issue.  But suddenly doing an interview after refusing for ages......well, it just seems weird.

This is tangentially related to Castle in the media - or rather, the lack of Caskett in the media - but in regards to other casts/leads/romantic leads getting along in public, do they get the same negative response in their private life?

When Alias was on, Jennifer Garner and Michael Vartan had some crazy fans speculating about their personal life.  And they really were together, but then they broke up and people hated her for it.  Twitter wasn't around then, but if it was people totally would have harassed her.

Didn't the X-Files cast have have some craziness too? And speculation about dating in real life? But again, before Twitter.  Twitter is like the best thing that ever happened to crazy fans.

Edited by KaveDweller
(edited)

Oh yeah. The XF definitely had some whacko fan shit about GA and DD which exists to this day. And their show has been over for 12 years. XF was way, way bigger than Castle in its heyday and those two were almost never apart (they were heavy in every episode and were almost always together). When GA and DD were doing press for the second movie they openly discussed the fact that there were a few years that they didn't get along and the only time they talked to each other was when they were speaking their lines. That said, they managed to do press together and seemed normal. I guess I just have trouble believing that NF and SK are the only "victims" of a rabid fan base. I can't speak for others because I'm not really that involved. But I bet those Twilight fans got mighty pissed at that Kristen Stewart girl.

If NF and SK wanted to avoid a frenzy perhaps they should avoid social media (and have their families should do the same). If they wanted to avoid constant speculation perhaps they should have continued to do limited but consistent joint press (perhaps by ABC's PR team). The only reason people notice is that so many other shows don't have any problems producing their talent for interviews even when that would have not been problematic (100th episode party with press line).

I just have very real trouble drumming up sympathy for people (who make over 2 million dollars a year for playing make believe) because their "fans" are bugging them. For the non narcissist this is very simple: unplug.

Edited by Elysium1973
  • Love 1
(edited)

Behaving as they do continues to feed the rumors they don't get on or that there is some kind of problem because it's super obvious to me they are deliberately avoiding having much contact with each other when it comes to public events wherever possible.  It's weird given as a counterbalance you have the many set reports (as above but there have been lots over the years) saying how happy and friendly everyone is and that Stana and Nathan talk happily between takes so clearly there has to be another reason but what?

And yeah I'm a nosy person and would love to know what's going on there I have to admit, will I ever find out the truth? Probably not. Does it affect how I view the show or Caskett? No. But I'm still curious, can't help it whenever this subject comes up for discussion which it does regularly.

The excuses I've heard to explain the weirdness such as their schedules clash hence they couldn't be interviewed for a few minutes when they're standing in the same room together or no one thought to ask them to stand for a photo during a line up sound ridiculous. The most likely reason for acting as they do is a problem with a certain element of the fan base as has been mentioned but they're lucky (if you can call it lucky having crazy people coming after you) they can get away with it. I think if they were bigger stars on a show ABC were actively interested in showcasing surely the network would *shrug* and say deal with it you're actors, we expect you to promote the show and do whatever is necessary as part of the job.

I don't watch many other shows that regularly to know if the Castle fan element is even more crazy at that level than any other. I've seen plenty of unhinged behaviour doing my trawls of tumblr that's made my blood run cold but I presumed that all these kind of shows with a male/female lead pairing (or one that fans desperately want to happen) have an element of that. Like Elysium I do find it difficult to believe they are the only stars that get affected by this kind of thing. Emily and Daniel are the only comparison I can make on Bones, they seem to manage perfectly fine appearing together and laughing and joking around from what limited things I've heard and seen but then I haven't been on the fans forums in years to know if they've had issues or not with personal attacks.  And they're both married of course but I don't think being married makes the crazies ship you any less they still get obsessed.

Whilst I believe Nathan and Stana get along just fine as work pals and are friendly I do think it's strange they suddenly stopped appearing together doing interviews and the like without any explanation being given. But if this was the solution due to certain over zealous individuals causing them grief then it makes me sad and a little angry (not at them but those fans) because I really used to enjoy seeing them together chatting about the show and their characters. They looked like they were both having great fun and that got ruined for many ordinary fans who used to look forward to seeing them together acting so free and easy with each other.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
(edited)

The wedding will get saved for November sweeps or something like that irrespective of Castle's "trauma" of which I doubt we will get to see much of.

I think this really depends on Castle's physical/emotional well-being. If he's missing/presumed dead for 2 months and then they find him, I'd expect that there be an adjustment period, therapy, or at least, a period where he can adjust to being home and being normal again. I think the last thing he'd need after a traumatic situation like being abducted on his wedding day is a shotgun wedding.

Considering all the terrible traumas they've already faced together (including having his own daughter kidnapped) over the years and pushed aside without a care suddenly having them turning around now and saying "oh I can't get married to you whilst I'm going through emotional stuff lets wait" would have me sniffing yet another contrived roadblock by the writers to the wedding. They've never cared about properly dealing with emotional repercussions before it would be amusing for them to start to pay close attention now. 

Edited by verdana

I'm curious about how Castle will show up again. Do they find him in the middle of the episode? Does he just kinda walk into the precinct not knowing what and why and how? Will he be hurt or just screwed up in the head?

The wedding will get saved for November sweeps or something like that irrespective of Castle's "trauma" of which I doubt we will get to see much of.

Isn't Kate's birthday in November and on a Monday this time ? We still need Castle to get back at her for his birthday IF they still remember that one.

I'm curious about how Castle will show up again. Do they find him in the middle of the episode? Does he just kinda walk into the precinct not knowing what and why and how? Will he be hurt or just screwed up in the head?

Isn't Kate's birthday in November and on a Monday this time ? We still need Castle to get back at her for his birthday IF they still remember that one.

I'm wondering the same thing about how he'll show up, if they get a call in the precinct that he's been found or him making the call.

Re: Kate's birthday. Yep and it'll be in November Sweeps as well.