Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

There's actually some good stuff in this TVLine winter preview:

http://tvline.com/gallery/tv-spoilers-2016-season-premieres-photos/#!5/undefined/

As Kate and Rick pretend to stay broken up (for LokSat's sake) while secretly together, "There's a lot of 'lost time to make up for,' so to speak, in the bedroom. So there is some friskiness," teases co-showrunner Alexi Hawley. When not canoodling, they'll tackle a case in the word of competitive a cappella (cue Susan Sullivan and Jon Huertas showing off their pipes!), enter the courtroom (a first for the series), visit the police academy where Kate trained and get some Red Heat action, butting heads with a diplomatic security agent from Russia. Also: When Rick, Alexis and Hayley chase a case to L.A., Gerald McRaney and Summer Glau guest-star, as you know. But what you may not know is that in that episode, the mystery of Rick's missing time will be solved Once. And. For. All. Says showrunner Terence Paul Winter: "Here's a promise: We are going to conclude that. It will be done."

Edited by FlickerToAFlame
But I agree there's nothing any showrunners can say that will ever make fans happy.  Annoying fans is part of the job.

And annoying fans are part of the fandom.  It's a co-dependent relationship between annoying showrunners and annoying fans. ;)  

When both annoy, I just prefer to tune it out and focus on what's on screen. 

No doubt nothing AH & TPH say about this season will please some at this point, but, I, for one, am looking forward to what's being teased here.

http://tvline.com/gallery/winter-tv-preview-returning-favorites/#!5/nathan-fillion-stana-katic-seamusdever/

Did they really mean Susan Sullivan or did they do a typo and really mean Seamus Dever?  I don't think Susan's sung since the pilot!

Interested to see Caskett at both the courtroom and the police academy.  A repeat of them in the gun range together would be great.  Even better if Red Heat means the return of Russian Beckett.  And please, let the friskiness be sexy, and lots of it!  Wrapping up Castle's disappearance in one episode is fine by me although I have zero idea what they have planned there but it can hardly be more improbable than their ideas in Sleeper. ;)   I wouldn't mind if they did the same with Locksat. ;)

ETA: Does anyone remember what episode the TV Line screencap is from?  I like what they are both wearing there.

Edited by madmaverick

And annoying fans are part of the fandom.  It's a co-dependent relationship between annoying showrunners and annoying fans. ;)  

When both annoy, I just prefer to tune it out and focus on what's on screen. 

No doubt nothing AH & TPH say about this season will please some at this point, but, I, for one, am looking forward to what's being teased here.

http://tvline.com/gallery/winter-tv-preview-returning-favorites/#!5/nathan-fillion-stana-katic-seamusdever/

Did they really mean Susan Sullivan or did they do a typo and really mean Seamus Dever?  I don't think Susan's sung since the pilot!

Interested to see Caskett at both the courtroom and the police academy.  A repeat of them in the gun range together would be great.  Even better if Red Heat means the return of Russian Beckett.  And please, let the friskiness be sexy, and lots of it!  Wrapping up Castle's disappearance in one episode is fine by me although I have zero idea what they have planned there but it can hardly be more improbable than their ideas in Sleeper. ;)   I wouldn't mind if they did the same with Locksat. ;)

ETA: Does anyone remember what episode the TV Line screencap is from?  I like what they are both wearing there.

The screencap is from 8x05 The Nose

There's actually some good stuff in this TVLine winter preview:

http://tvline.com/gallery/tv-spoilers-2016-season-premieres-photos/#!5/undefined/

As Kate and Rick pretend to stay broken up (for LokSat's sake) while secretly together, "There's a lot of 'lost time to make up for,' so to speak, in the bedroom. So there is some friskiness," teases co-showrunner Alexi Hawley. When not canoodling, they'll tackle a case in the word of competitive a cappella (cue Susan Sullivan and Jon Huertas showing off their pipes!), enter the courtroom (a first for the series), visit the police academy where Kate trained and get some Red Heat action, butting heads with a diplomatic security agent from Russia. Also: When Rick, Alexis and Hayley chase a case to L.A., Gerald McRaney and Summer Glau guest-star, as you know. But what you may not know is that in that episode, the mystery of Rick's missing time will be solved Once. And. For. All. Says showrunner Terence Paul Winter: "Here's a promise: We are going to conclude that. It will be done."

Sounds like relaxing, enjoyable television to me.  #lowexpectations

More "canoodling" may be all well and good, but it shouldn't be a substitute for Beckett and Castle using their words, since that was one of the intiial appeals and shouldn't be something that disappears with a wedding band.

• Love 2

The preview sounds promising, I like love the idea of Castle in the courtroom as I mentioned before and the promise that they intend to wrap up Castle's missing time is a huge relief although I thought Hawley implied in an earlier interview his disappearance would tie in with the Locksat business. I wonder if that's still the plan or are they going to go in another direction and keep it separate? May be I was imagining that but either way it's a story that needs to be wrapped up and they had better keep their promise on this and end it for good. 

More "canoodling" may be all well and good, but it shouldn't be a substitute for Beckett and Castle using their words, since that was one of the intiial appeals and shouldn't be something that disappears with a wedding band.

Amen to this, Castle and Beckett "canoodling" is great but if that was all Castle and Beckett were primarily about as a couple I'd have given up on this show ages ago in despair at the slim pickings. I fear Hawley is going to fall into the trap of using the sexual aspect even more to gloss over them having any decent discussions about anything and sadly he'll probably find a willing audience simply relieved they're finally on the same page and back together. 

The only downer there is they're still continuing with this stupid separation which continues to require a suspension of logic and irritates the hell out of me, it's treating their audience like a bunch of idiots.

And please, let the friskiness be sexy, and lots of it!

Heh, bringing the sexy on a consistent basis may be a bit much of an ask but if they do manage it I hope we don't get a new phenomenon "friskus interruptus". 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Those previews do sound pretty good but i wonder - other than the canoodling, how much time will they spend together doing this stuff?

I can't that see them deliberately saving up Castle and Beckett interaction to splurge on fans later on in the season with extra "canoodling" thrown in as special treat but may be I'm wrong.  I presume nothing changes, the only difference is they're now willing to show more sexytimes during their allotted time together (whatever has been agreed contractually) which should make fans happier since it's better than watching sad sack Castle and obsessed Beckett but whether it will appease those fans who have been taking issue with this is another matter.  I must admit whilst I don't clock watch as some do I have noticed their much reduced screen time especially this season and it's a fundamental issue for some fans which doesn't look like going away. 

Edited by verdana

I can't that see them deliberately saving up Castle and Beckett interaction to splurge on fans later on in the season with extra "canoodling" thrown in as special treat but may be I'm wrong. I presume nothing changes, the only difference is they're now willing to show more sexytimes during their allotted time together (whatever has been agreed contractually) which should make fans happier since it's better than watching sad sack Castle and obsessed Beckett but whether it will appease those fans who have been taking issue with this is another matter. I must admit whilst I don't clock watch as some do I have noticed their much reduced screen time especially this season and it's a fundamental issue for some fans which doesn't look like going away.

Yeah, i dont think its going away either and i doubt these "sexy times" will please a ton of fans if there arent conversations to go along with them. We'll see.

The preview sounds promising, I like love the idea of Castle in the courtroom as I mentioned before and the promise that they intend to wrap up Castle's missing time is a huge relief although I thought Hawley implied in an earlier interview his disappearance would tie in with the Locksat business. I wonder if that's still the plan or are they going to go in another direction and keep it separate? May be I was imagining that but either way it's a story that needs to be wrapped up and they had better keep their promise on this and end it for good.

Yeah, he said it would tie in to Locksat. But he also said they hadn't really decided what was gong to happen at that point. They could have changed things.

Yeah, he said it would tie in to Locksat. But he also said they hadn't really decided what was gong to happen at that point. They could have changed things.

The idea to link the two might have been the one that didn't stick to the wall.

Yeah it does appear they had a change of heart and decided to wrap it up quickly in one episode, whilst I don't buy much into the idea showrunners pay attention to the fans may be they realised that having Castle's disappearance suck up more screen time after the fall out over the separation was not a good move.

Edited by verdana

Castle: Spartacus' Nick Tarabay Brings Heat — Plus, Meet Beckett's Mentee at TV Line

Californication alum Ellen Woglom Ellen Woglommeanwhile will appear in Episode 15, which takes us to “the police academy where Beckett was a star, back before she became a cop,” Hawley says. Woglom plays a cadet with whom Kate forms “a bit of a mentor relationship.”

TVLine has confirmed that Spartacus vet Nick E. Tarabay will guest-star in an upcoming episode as Vasily Zhirov, an agent with the Russian Diplomatic Security Service. “We get a little Red Heat action,” co-showrunner Alex Hawley told TVLine, referring to the 1988 culture-clash comedy that paired Jim Belushi with Arnold Schwarzenegger. “We have a diplomatic security agent from Russia who comes, because there is the death of a Russian national. He’s a big character.”

Edited by verdana

I think Matt Mitovich is getting annoyed with the commentators on that site See one of his replies in the comments:

Matt Webb Mitovich says:

January 12, 2016 at 3:27 PM

How does one exactly “announce” such a thing, “JimN”…? And even if I had the producers here saying, “Fillion and Katic will be working face to face solving a case with some great dialogue,” would people believe them or would the comments be full of cut-n-paste snark?

I'd be annoyed too if I wrote articles and every one kept complaining about the content.  The developments on the show aren't his fault.

• Love 1

I think Matt Mitovich is getting annoyed with the commentators on that site See one of his replies in the comments:

I'd be annoyed too if I wrote articles and every one kept complaining about the content.  The developments on the show aren't his fault.

I like Matt but TV Line deliberately invite such snark seems to me by the way they pot stir with their various spoilers. Matt throwing his arms up in exasperation at the type of comments he keeps getting strikes a rather false note, I realise it must get a bit of drag but come on who is he trying to kid here? The more comments they get (they don't care what kind) the more clicks on site, it's keeping him in a job. 

Edited by verdana

I like Matt but TV Line deliberately invite such snark seems to me by the way they pot stir with their various spoilers. Matt throwing his arms up in exasperation at the type of comments he keeps getting strikes a rather false note, I realise it must get a bit of drag but come on who is he trying to kid here? The more comments they get (they don't care what kind) the more clicks on site, it's keeping him in a job. 

But that's just it: It is his job. Yes, the site can be about sensationalism often, but he is an employee. He doesn't own the site and is not head honcho. (That would be Michael Ausiello), so folks acting like douches and snarking at him for the gall of doing a write up - what he is paid for - would start pissing me off, too, if I had to deal with that level of "devotion", shall we say, 24/7/365 all the live-long day. 

So I kind of like him dishing their own behavior back at them, even if it isn't really professional.

• Love 2

But that's just it: It is his job. Yes, the site can be about sensationalism often, but he is an employee. He doesn't own the site and is not head honcho. (That would be Michael Ausiello), so folks acting like douches and snarking at him for the gall of doing a write up - what he is paid for - would start pissing me off, too, if I had to deal with that level of "devotion", shall we say, 24/7/365 all the love-long day.

So I kind of like him dishing their own behavior back at them, even if it isn't really professional.

I may be missing something because i dont read all the comments, but people arent bashing him or TV Line, they're complaining about the show. Whats his issue with that?

I may be missing something because i dont read all the comments, but people arent bashing him or TV Line, they're complaining about the show. Whats his issue with that?

But some also take issue - in a not so nice way - about things in any given article and go after the author. Which is tedious.

Matt was asked by someone a while ago why not ban fans from commenting and he said they had considered it. Whether the problem is relegated to the Castle fandom who are being particularly truculent at the moment I don't know, they cater for a lot of shows but it's one (final) solution to the problem if he's getting increasingly fed up. He's got until early May to last out. 

TV line are one of the few sites that actively follow the show, I hope they continue to do so even if I do eye roll at some of their reporting. 

Edited by verdana

castle fans could only hope to get an interview with SK and NF like Kimmel had last night with GA and DD! Those two seriously need to get a room, although they probably already have ;-). Even if ABC announced that this was the last season of Castle there is no way SK and NF would do a joint interview. Sad that things have got so bad when things started out so well 8 years ago.

• Love 2
castle fans could only hope to get an interview with SK and NF like Kimmel had last night with GA and DD! Those two seriously need to get a room, although they probably already have ;-).

Yeah I saw a twitter exchange between them prior to Kimmel on tumblr which was typically relaxed, flirty and funny and I've just seen the photos she's posted on her twitter account and wow Castle fans can just dream about seeing stuff like that lol. Gillian is one of those actresses that gets better looking with age and she's a good actress who has branched out and done many varied roles. May be a lot of it is carefully orchestrated PR (although their body language tells me otherwise heh) but as an X files fan I sure as hell wouldn't be complaining. I heard they had their issues back in the day to the point of hating the sight of each other but oh boy those days seem waaaay behind them now lol.  

Whilst it's not the be all and end all if I don't see Stana and Nathan together being chummy it does sadden me that if Castle does wrap this season, you're right the idea of something as simple as one last joint interview where they talk about the show that's been such an integral part of their lives for so long would be like asking for the moon when at the start it was all so very different, they were adorable together and a joy to watch.  Such a pity. 

Edited by verdana
Shawn Adams ‏@shawn310  14h14 hours ago

It's finally time to "get down to business" #Castle # promo

New promo coming soon by the looks of things. 

Chad Gomez Creasey ‏@chadgcreasey  7h7 hours ago

Attempting a never-been-done-before precinct shot in 160+ episodes. How does The Bowman keep coming up with these? #Castle 815

Here's hoping I can actually see it. 

• Love 2

Matt was asked by someone a while ago why not ban fans from commenting and he said they had considered it. Whether the problem is relegated to the Castle fandom who are being particularly truculent at the moment I don't know, they cater for a lot of shows but it's one (final) solution to the problem if he's getting increasingly fed up. He's got until early May to last out. 

They likely don't ban fans (much) because the comments, especially the nasty ones, give more hits. People go to these sites to comment or read comments. If the opportunity to vent wasn't there the desire to read would diminish. 

I know they've banned some because the reinstatement conversation was public. But those bannings were more due to meta criticizing TVLINE for it's blatant schmoozing, not as much about other aspects of the article content.

I see the usual freaks outs on tumblr and twitter about the revised air date, it's only a week for crying out loud and given this season so far I can happily wait another 7 days for more "delightful fun" from Hawley and co as my expectations are set low.

castle fans could only hope to get an interview with SK and NF like Kimmel had last night with GA and DD! Those two seriously need to get a room, although they probably already have ;-). Even if ABC announced that this was the last season of Castle there is no way SK and NF would do a joint interview. Sad that things have got so bad when things started out so well 8 years ago.

Word. And that skit. Damn. That one will stay with me. >:)

Yes it is. A damn shame.

Yeah I saw a twitter exchange between them prior to Kimmel on tumblr which was typically relaxed, flirty and funny and I've just seen the photos she's posted on her twitter account and wow Castle fans can just dream about seeing stuff like that lol. Gillian is one of those actresses that gets better looking with age and she's a good actress who has branched out and done many varied roles. May be a lot of it is carefully orchestrated PR (although their body language tells me otherwise heh) but as an X files fan I sure as hell wouldn't be complaining. I heard they had their issues back in the day to the point of hating the sight of each other but oh boy those days seem waaaay behind them now lol.  

Whilst it's not the be all and end all if I don't see Stana and Nathan together being chummy it does sadden me that if Castle does wrap this season, you're right the idea of something as simple as one last joint interview where they talk about the show that's been such an integral part of their lives for so long would be like asking for the moon when at the start it was all so very different, they were adorable together and a joy to watch.  Such a pity. 

Yep. But it's nice to see them get along so well. The press for it has been the best part to be honest though. Those two interacting with one another have been a hoot :P.

Did you ever see the FTF outtake kiss? They seemed to get along there ok lol.

Personally, I could do without a Badass Beckett show. It's never proved to add anything to an episode for me and it's a tedious element (among others) that I just don't care for. 

• Love 1

Personally, I could do without a Badass Beckett show. It's never proved to add anything to an episode for me and it's a tedious element (among others) that I just don't care for. 

For me, it always equals "over-acting Beckett," often reminding me of James T Kirk in the original Star Trek ;-).  Some would call it "Emmy-worthy Beckett," which shows that we all have our opinions ;-).

Edited by TWP
  • Love 1

For me, it always equals "over-acting Beckett," often reminding me of James T Kirk in the original Star Trek ;-).  Some would call it "Emmy-worthy Beckett," which shows that we all have our opinions ;-).

I prefer Beckett episodes over Castle episodes, Cool Boys is the only episode I have not watched even once, but I prefer Beckett AND Castle episodes most of all. Sadly it would seem that there are unlikely to be anymore of those episodes where there is enough of both of them TOGETHER for my liking. Even if they both sign for S9 a continuation of the current format is hardly likely to revive my enthusiasm for the show.

• Love 3

I hate to say it but...this. It always seems like Katic tries too hard to be all badass or whatever. I watch/have watched other shows with women cops and they don't do all the hoopla, just their jobs and they do it well. That is strength enough for me.

• Love 2

I hate to say it but...this. It always seems like Katic tries too hard to be all badass or whatever. I watch/have watched other shows with women cops and they don't do all the hoopla, just their jobs and they do it well. That is strength enough for me.

That maybe could be a Beckett trait that she's acting out that way.  Beckett was the girl whose mother's murder set on the path to being not just a cop, but the cop who solved the unsolved murder of her mother, in spite of the conventional wisdom that it was cold, and that she should stop.  (Of course she eventually did, and Castle opened that up again, but that's the guy who has lots of money and friends making use of same.)  

Or maybe Beckett has to be badass to justify/explain that (fantastic) wardrobe on a cop's salary (and also her old apartment - she modelled, right? must have saved a bunch o' $$$$$).

But I'm someone who tends to blame the writing long before I fall out of love with an actor.  

• Love 1

I have to agree with the over-acting.  And occasionally it seems they throw in the "badass" for the sole purpose of showing Badass Beckett and it feels forced into the scene and unnecessary.

• Love 2

Yeah that's how it comes over to me too I find it's distracting and given the various reports involving certain police officers and their misuse of violence to get their job done I find the moments when they have her getting overly aggressive towards a suspect and sometimes violent even more off putting. The writers don't help Stana either in the way they write her badass, it's often cartoonish and cliched even Streep would have problems making it work. 

Another unfortunate aspect is whenever she tried to intimidate this vein pops out on Stana's forehead and it gives me the giggles every time. But it's all subjective of course, I thought her water torture scene ITBOTB was a terrible case of overacting (the roar was too much) and it took me completely out the episode whilst other fans were screaming for her to get an Emmy after that aired.

That said, I am looking forward to Beckett going back to the police academy and hoping we find out something new about her past history that doesn't take away from her character, unfortunately based on the pictures and tweets so far I should also prepare myself for lots of artful silhouetting and odd camera angles that showcase Mr Bowman's directing talents which I don't care about, it's the characters I'm interested in. 

westwingfan. Thanks for posting the link to the list of episodes, I needed an up-date.

Edited by verdana

That said, I am looking forward to Beckett going back to the police academy and hoping we find out something new about her past history that doesn't take away from her character, unfortunately based on the pictures and tweets so far I should also prepare myself for lots of artful silhouetting and odd camera angles that showcase Mr Bowman's directing talents which I don't care about, it's the characters I'm interested in. 

You gotta go way back to Star Trek: TNG for well lit directed scenes from Bowman lol. An ep he did showed up on BBCA yesterday and since everything had to have the same indoor lighting it was nice to watch an ep with no weird shadows or angles.

Yeah her acting was much more subtle in the 1st 3 seasons and Badass Beckett sort of went off the rails starting around Kill Shot. S4 was the start of where it seemed like it were were swinging back and forth with OTT Badass Beckett and bumbling have no balls but it's comedy Castle even though we get nice moments here and there with the 2 of them.

• Love 1

The Blame Game? Heartbreaker? Those names just sound ugh.

As long as none of these titles relate in any way to Castle and Beckett going through some horrible clunky relationship issue underlying the COTW dressed up as interesting character development then I can live with them even if they do sound hardly inspiring. 

May be "Heartbreaker" relates to Alexis realising the PI business is not her scene and she decides to leave New York to go travelling, cue tearful send off between father and daughter. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

You gotta go way back to Star Trek: TNG for well lit directed scenes from Bowman lol. An ep he did showed up on BBCA yesterday and since everything had to have the same indoor lighting it was nice to watch an ep with no weird shadows or angles.

Yeah her acting was much more subtle in the 1st 3 seasons and Badass Beckett sort of went off the rails starting around Kill Shot. S4 was the start of where it seemed like it were were swinging back and forth with OTT Badass Beckett and bumbling have no balls but it's comedy Castle even though we get nice moments here and there with the 2 of them.

The problem a lot of long running shows run into is that they start trying to top themselves. And that forces them to go and bigger and bigger even when it gets ridiculous. I feel like it happens with sitcoms too.....characters end up caricatures of their original selves in an attempt to s till be funny.

The other thing that happens in long running shows is you sometimes start to see more of the actor (or the actors ideas) seep into the show.

I think Stana's better with her more subtle scenes but don't have a problem with Badass Beckett. I think it's supposed to be in character that she reacts over-the-top when people she loves are threatened. I don't like when they have any character abuse their authority though.

• Love 2

As long as none of these titles relate in any way to Castle and Beckett going through some horrible clunky relationship issue underlying the COTW dressed up as interesting character development then I can live with them even if they do sound hardly inspiring. 

May be "Heartbreaker" relates to Alexis realising the PI business is not her scene and she decides to leave New York to go travelling, cue tearful send off between father and daughter. 

Good point.

Could be.

We should be so lucky.... Edited by BellyLaughter
Another unfortunate aspect is whenever she tried to intimidate this vein pops out on Stana's forehead and it gives me the giggles every time. But it's all subjective of course, I thought her water torture scene ITBOTB was a terrible case of overacting (the roar was too much) and it took me completely out the episode whilst other fans were screaming for her to get an Emmy after that aired.

Last week through a mysterious twist of links started by TV Tropes I found myself reading a bunch of old Fassbender's and Downey Jr.'s interviews (great read). In the GQ one Downey admits how he is so over actors having meltdowns and acting super emotional  on screen, because usually people don't react like that when these situations happen to them in real life. What followed was... typical for Downey, I'd say:

And the funny thing is: People eat that up. It's not that I'm better than that or I've transcended that, it's that...I don't know...once you've been in Amsterdam and you've been in some weird magazine shop and you see some title like Hond Seks"—literally translated as "dog sex," by which he means "sex with dogs"—"you just don't want to go to that part of town anymore."

Hold on, you've just compared acting a bit overemotionally to—

"—To bestiality! Yeah. I'm sorry, but they're both these kind of grotesque things. I don't want to say they're grotesque, but I have a reaction to it. I know you go there and you do it and it works and people eat it up, but..."

You're talking about bestiality, I presume.

"Now, I'm not saying there isn't a genuine connection between these people and their animals. And that they're not sad when they go, the next morning...."

Guilty as charged, Beckett immediately popped in my mind as an example (with no connection to bestiality :-)). Not that I know how people usually react when being waterboarded or shot at (thank God), but I lived through some pretty stressful times myself and never reacted half as visibly distressed and emotional as I see some actors do on screen. Maybe I'm just repressed or shy, I don't know. But my empathy usually goes to the less visibly dramatic acting moments.

• Love 2