Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

I don't get why ABC would consider spinning off what is the second lowest rated show in their line up? Surely it would be cheaper to just do another new show than have to up one or two of the leads contracts.

Unless it's a spin off without Stana OR Nathan except for an occasional guest appearance. Flash is a spinoff of Arrow, but only in the sense that a guest star on Arrow is the lead on Flash. No one else from the original is on (except for sweeps when they do a crossover episode.

TV Grim Reaper ‏@TVGrimReaper 44m44 minutes ago

@Mrpackerfan85 you’d have to ask them, but announced final seasons are pretty rare

Plenty of shows have announced final seasons. Desperate Housewives, Glee, Lost, ER....even American Idol has announced it. It's not standard procedure but it happens a lot with long running shows.

TV does seem to be kinder to "older" actresses. (Good Grief, 35 seems to be older in this context). Lots of leads and second leads. Even my favourite new show Crazy Ex Girlfriend has a lead who is nearly *gas;* thirty.

Movies? Well, there's Dame Helen Mirren and..... umm.... gimmee a minute.....

Yeah. Another example guest-starred on Elementary on Thursday night: Kathryn Erbe. She was the co-lead on Law & Order: Criminal Intent opposite Vincent D'Onofrio for 10 seasons (technically, 9 1/4 or so for both of them, long story), but aside from that character on SVU about a couple years after CI folded for an episode or two, she seemed to lie low.

But then she popped up the other night in a pretty decent-sized guest role and still looked good. (And recognizable.) If IMDB is to be believed, she is now 50, so yeah. TV is kinder to older actresses than movies are.

If Stana prefers movies, though, at her "advanced age" *RME*, she'll likely do well with indies seeing as she is close to <gasp> 40.

And, in connection to all of this, not to defend Hollywood's blatant ageism and sexism, but a part of me does wonder if those women who Botox or plastic up their faces all to hell to remain "young" for work are actually shooting themselves in the foot as most older actresses I see still getting work are those who still look more natural. It's the industry's fault for making women think they have to do that, but the results seem quite ironic to me in the end.

• Love 1

I'd personally prefer they kill Beckett off instead of a divorce. They could do a couple years time jump to when Castle is ready to move on. Obviously not ideal, but better than another (this time permanent) breakup.

Separately, I wonder if either actor would consider infrequent guest appearances versus signing on for a full lead role.

Plenty of shows have announced final seasons. Desperate Housewives, Glee, Lost, ER....even American Idol has announced it. It's not standard procedure but it happens a lot with long running shows.

True, but all the shows you list were "powerhouse" shows, even if they faded later, which Castle never was. So that is probably why they got the "final notice".

Thanks Wendy for the update on the TVGrimReaper, can't help laughing at some of their comments on the state of various shows, time will tell if the reaper will catch Castle. 

Edited by verdana

True, but all the shows you list were "powerhouse" shows, even if they faded later, which Castle never was. So that is probably why they got the "final notice".

True, but while it was never a powerhouse, it has been on 8 years, which is a pretty big deal.

I think Gossip Girl had an announced final season, but maybe that was considered a powerhouse for CW. Alias had an announced final season (halfway through the season anyway).

Just a guess - they are going to spin-off Molly - modern day Nancy Drew. I think they'll build a show around Nathan, but it won't be Castle. They'll go for an NCIS franchise with him at the lead. Not a bad plan.

Castle Bosses on the Spinoff Rumors: 'We Want Castle To Be What It Is' at TV Insider

How Castle might continue on sans its leads is hard to fathom, but perhaps even more complicated will be if only Katic or Fillion returns. The Castle/Beckett love story has been a central part of the series since the first episode, and the duo were married last season. They split for the first half of season 8 -- as Beckett tried to keep her husband safe -- and only reunited in the midseason finale. "We've really enjoyed the serialized element of their relationship [this season]," Hawley says. "It'd be fun to do something with that next season, hopefully."

If only one actor returns for a potential ninth season, "I see that being the hardest episodes of Castle to write, if it happens," Winter says. "Let's cross our fingers and hope it doesn't. If it does, we'll buckle down figure out an honest way to tell that story. It's hard to speculate…it may not happen, and hopefully it doesn't. We love our cast, and we'd love everyone to come back."

In the event they lose both leads, it's a bit too early to think about what the "spinoff" will focus on. "It's hard to answer that question," Hawley says. "We're not really talking about a spinoff right now, with us. I think that's -- worst case scenario sounds bad, but we want Castle to be what it is. We have an abundance of riches with our cast, our amazing ensemble. Toks Olagundoye, who we added this year, she's fantastic; we feel really strongly about her[,too]. But we're not thinking about it right now."

They have an abundance of riches cast wise true, pity they don't seem to realise that and utilise them to their full potential. As for Toks she's okay but I certainly wouldn't be planning to build anything around her the in the future, Castle lives or dies on the combined presence of Katic and Fillion and they can try and get around that if the network pushes but I don't envy them trying to craft a new show based on one or worse both being absent from the line up.

Quote Dever, for his part, says he plans to continue on with the show for as long as possible. "Who knows what's going to happen?" he says. "If they still need a procedural, it's quite easy for Ryan and Esposito to do that. I don't know…Ryan and Esposito have always been important to Castle, and there have to be cops that solve [the cases]. I'm with Castle until the wheels fall off."

I'm sure he does lol, for all the secondary cast they'll ride this train until the it end, they're probably all just grateful to be in paid employment.

But with that long run also comes a responsibility to the fans: trying to craft an end to season 8 with so many variables means "we'll have to get creative," Winter acknowledges.

I don't want them being creative, I dread the idea of them making any extra special effort on my account, the harder they try the worse it will probably get. I presume they were getting "creative" when they planned the silly separation arc and look what happened there. Edited by verdana

‘Castle’ Showrunners On Ending Season 8 Amidst Cast Uncertainty, Season 9 Plans
http://deadline.com/2016/01/castle-showrunners-ending-season-8-cast-season-9-1201679423/

Hawley said. “I think going out with a cliffhanger of sorts always helps you when you come back. When we came back this year, it had a conclusion last year, and I think ultimately it was a little harder for us to get out of the gate because people didn’t have anything driving them back.”

I disagree, I know some fans are addicted to them but if anything a badly written cliffhanger makes me less likely to tune in, and the S7 finale was the best received in years. They're making excuses when in my view it had nothing to do with the lack of a cliffhanger.

“This season was a little bit of a transition, getting Castle into the PI office and setting that world up for him to give him that drive,” Hawley said. “We wanted to wrap up a lot of the threads of different conspiracies, Beckett’s mother’s murder, Castle’s missing time. We wanted by the end of Season 8 to have gotten through all those — hopefully in a compelling and satisfying way –so Season 9 can be more about the case of the week, going back to the fun of solving the case of the week and not have the luggage of past conspiracies.”

He makes it sound like they've been forcibly saddled with unwelcome baggage this season which they've had to clear up before being able to get to any decent storytelling when Hawley is the one who needlessly decided to rehash S4 and next up he's digging into the Castle mythology. Has Hawley got amnesia or something? Beckett's mother's murder was already resolved and most fans seemed pretty content with Veritas as closure with Bracken arrested, Castle's missing time had been dealt with in Sleeper (albeit poorly but it was put to bed enough fans like me could shrug and forget about it quite happily).

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

Maybe Stana is going to take a leaf out of Gillian Anderson's book and wait until Nathan's contract is sorted and then ask for the same. That's what GA did for this mini revival of X Files. Don't blame her either, in fact makes me like her more for not taking anymore sexist shit from the studio execs!!

Why would ABC consider a spin off with Toks who has been there less than a year and who has received a lukewarm welcome, when you have cast members who have been there from day 1?

Another interview from AH where i cringe all the way thru. His ideas scare the crap out of me. This wont wrap up well, i dont care what he says.

• Love 2

I don’t know how those final season announcements work but I can imagine there are quite a few constellations where it isn’t even possible for a network to make an early announcement with many players involved (like the audience, the studios, the actors).

“This season was a little bit of a transition, getting Castle into the PI office and setting that world up for him to give him that drive,” Hawley said.

I’m a big Castle P.I. advocate because I really think the character needs some revamping to be interesting after the show’s focus changed to fully case-oriented episodes. So as some feel there is too much focus on Castle’s P.I. career right now, I think there hasn’t been done enough to establish the character in this new world. It seems more like a device to optimize screen time and filming schedules and to keep other characters connected. There is no drive behind it this season.

Last season, Castle’s attempt at being a P.I. was driven by his desire to work cases with Beckett again, but they kind of “ruined” the momentum by ultimately making it into a kind of a failure for him. In the remaining episodes it was never utilized or even mentioned again. (As far as I remember?)

Now this season, Castle is - for reasons not mentioned - in the business again, well in the business of getting his office renovated. Meanwhile Alexis became suddenly a top-notch private-eye and Castle himself (with the exception of the Slaughter episode) has only been interfering with police cases to get the latest news on Beckett thus far. I just cannot see the additional value for the character in this kind of story-telling.

• Love 2

I still find it so amusing when I read in other places any folks who think the fans have any say in this. It's a business. Period. Stana signed for Stana (as did Nathan signing for Nathan) and what that new contract gave her that she wanted (same for Nathan). Fans have nothing to do with how they make career choices. They can only hope fans will enjoy the choices they make.

So the notion that either of them (or anyone else involved with the show) will stay for a season nine to serve anyone but themselves (including fellow cast members, the fans or the story) is a little naive if you ask me. That goes for ABC's decisions on whether or not to continue and how to continue the show with the cast cards they are dealt. Those are serving ABC's interest and nothing else. And taking the risk that it will or won't work, which networks do all. the. time.

• Love 1

Re: no announcement of it being the final season. There are two possibilities as I see it assuming as I do the status quo will not make it to season 9.

1. Castle comes back Feb 1, so still plenty of time to announce it as such. Less likely.

2. Castle becomes Castle PI next season technically making this not it’s final season.

Though I get the feeling the network doesn't give two shits about Tamala, Seamus or Jon. They seem to like Susan and Molly though.

I get the impression for love for Molly but I think that Nathan’s influence, personally I would from a creative standpoint have shipped her off to Stanford years back but she remained on the show for no good reason. I also suspect that is where they are trying to go with this silly Castle PI crap; father and daughter assisted by someone.

Maybe Stana is going to take a leaf out of Gillian Anderson's book and wait until Nathan's contract is sorted and then ask for the same. That's what GA did for this mini revival of X Files. Don't blame her either, in fact makes me like her more for not taking anymore sexist shit from the studio execs!!

I suspect that is what happened last year but I feel like Stana is all but gone except in body and even then hardly there.

Tamala is hardly ever seen on Castle these days so that's no shocker.

I miss Laine. Edited by Brit Babe

Castle also seems to be the only show willing to give Adam Baldwin a job, so maybe they'll do the FilCastle also seems to be the only show willing to give Adam Baldwin a job, so maybe they'll do the Fillion/Baldwin thing.

He's been working pretty steadily if IMDB is any indication, including a recent leading role in The Last Ship and voice work.

I can see a spinoff police procedural – perhaps a light hearted one with Seamus Dever and Jon Huertas as full sergeants . Hmm. In the same station but different divisions with crimes that overlap. And bring in Toks (who I quite like) as a PI that JH likes but who has no interest in him. Running gag- he tries to rescue her, she doesn't notice, and rescues herself.

I suspect that is what happened last year but I feel like Stana is all but gone except in body and even then hardly there.

Pretty much this. If either lead isn't returning, I'd place bets on Stana Katic. Unless the Brinks vault is opened or something. Actually, I do think ABC could axe this despite the "we're so happy with it!" schtick being sold. As TVGrimReaper points out, there's the matter of new contracts, which cannot be cheap. And with sagging ratings, that means less money.

So right now, the only certain thing is uncertainty.

• Love 1

Molly tweeted 'I LOVE THIS' along with TV Line link about spin off. Pretty safe bet she is included in that plan.

Or it's simply the "rah, rah, team player for the show!" deal actors do. (I'm cynical, what can I say? I just think the show is essentially done and Paul Lee is just doing PR spin.)

• Love 2

It has them separated, but it doesn't say that Beckett won't be in the episode, just that she won't be in LA with them. It will probably be a bunch of phone calls or something. My bigger concern is Alexis having too much to do.  Ugh.

Sounds like in that episode we get a hint of something about his disappearance and then maybe the next episode is when we really dive in.

It's too bad they didn't cast Alexis better. I understand the casting because she seemed perfect when she was very young. But if they had gotten luckier, they could have played up the Father/Daughter/Grandmother team in some good episodes. 

I'd personally prefer they kill Beckett off instead of a divorce. They could do a couple years time jump to when Castle is ready to move on. Obviously not ideal, but better than another (this time permanent) breakup.

The only problem I have with that idea is whilst the character has moved on the audience won't have had the same acceptance time. I don't want them to kill Beckett off or worse divorce as it will make watching any old Castle episodes one sad exercise knowing what's to come.  Stana and Nathan together are Castle and any other combo is nothing I want to watch, at least with MilMar I felt no matter what their failings writing wise I'd get my guaranteed happy ending I'm not very confident about that any more.  

At this stage reading here and elsewhere the many options being suggested as to how Castle can continue in some way I definitely want them to let Castle and Beckett ride off into the sunset happy at the end of this season and Stana and Nathan can both move on to new projects.   There is a time to accept that the show should end with a bit of dignity before it becomes a total clusterfuck and that moment in my view has arrived, it had a good run.

Separately, I wonder if either actor would consider infrequent guest appearances versus signing on for a full lead role.

If there was money to be made without them being tied down to the show full time any more I'm sure they would.

• Love 1

Toks was probably hired as someone to lead a spinoff (or at least test out as a possible new lead if both current leads leave). They could hire a male love interest for her and keep all the supporting cast. Though I get the feeling the network doesn't give two shits about Tamala, Seamus or Jon. They seem to like Susan and Molly though.

If they do get another season, budgetary concerns will become increasingly a factor. Susan Sullivan must be a drain on there resources when she was first hired she was a name and they must have paid her accordingly. I wouldn't be surprised if they do get a S9 they'll get rid of her.  Molly unfortunately acting wise has been very hit and miss for me this season, she was more natural and charming playing a teenager even though in theory she should be a better actor given the added experience. I can't imagine building a new show around her alongside Fillion in the Castle PI business, her weaknesses would quickly get exposed.  If they want to keep any of the existing secondary cast I'd retain Jon and Seamus no question and keep Molly in the background, I guess Tamala could stick around too lol she's harmless.  

Edited by verdana

The thing that Molly Quinn has, though, that the rest don't is youth. Yeah, she is obviously polarizing and not a huge draw, given the current ratings.

But the suits covet "young", in demos and everything else, so if this elusive spinoff is a go (and with Hawley signed to another project not this show, I'm still saying no), she'll likely be kept.

I do wonder how this raggedy ass season has affected the syndication deal with TNT, and how ending the show with Beckett out of the picture (if that is the way they choose to go) would affect it. Do they take those things into consideration? TNT has sole rights to syndication, how does that affect network decisions, or does it not matter?

• Love 1
I'm guessing Nathan will do the show as long as he's getting the massive paycheck and ass licking and that Stana was done a year ago, only agreeing to half ass a season 8 (and I like her very much).

I think that's a rather unfair comment to both, but particularly that ass licking bit re Nathan.   But angry, disappointed fans don't seem to prioritise fairness in their accusations to all involved with the show these days from my observation.  Perhaps it's not a new phenomena.

I still find it so amusing when I read in other places any folks who think the fans have any say in this. It's a business. Period. Stana signed for Stana (as did Nathan signing for Nathan) and what that new contract gave her that she wanted (same for Nathan). Fans have nothing to do with how they make career choices. They can only hope fans will enjoy the choices they make.

I find it says more about the fans' egos (and tunnel vision and biases and prejudices etc.) when they think they have a say.  And when they think they can actually divine what the actors and what the network president must want from anything they say, or don't say.  At this point, some fans will just read anything they want from what is said/isn't said as long as it fits their preconceived ideas about the actors, writers, whatever.  They get all worked up about conspiracy theories and bts theories and such, when they don't understand that it's really about business and everyone's just looking out for their self-interest as is the norm.

Back in time, some people were very sure that S7 would be the last and that Nathan was all too ready to leave the show.  Turns out they were wrong about that.  Now some people are all so sure that Stana is ready to leave the show and that Nathan will continue in some spinoff.  My opinion is that no one actually knows anything about what the actors want at this point and we probably won't know until announcements are made down the line.  I think it's quite pointless to jump to conclusions in the meantime.  

What I want is to hopefully enjoy the second half of the season in peace, come what may, since it's out of our hands anyway.  Could definitely do without the fandom drama where hysteria and the blame game take over.

My personal view is that I would like to see Nathan and Stana take some risks with their career elsewhere as it has been a long time for them to play one role on television.  I've enjoyed their chemistry on Castle, but perhaps it's time for new roles, new challenges.  I appreciate their years of service on Castle and hope fans can be grateful for what they've given.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

I do wonder how this raggedy ass season has affected the syndication deal with TNT, and how ending the show with Beckett out of the picture (if that is the way they choose to go) would affect it. Do they take those things into consideration? TNT has sole rights to syndication, how does that affect network decisions, or does it not matter?

Thats my question. You end this with divorce or death and who will ever buy another DVD again? What would be the point in watching past seasons when you know that dreadful outcome?

I've read so many vocal critics of this season say they pretend the show stopped with Hollander's Woods (or Veritas, even) and they've stopped watching (but not stopped complaining!).  So if their now hated show goes on to a hated spinoff, they can just pretend to have more amnesia.  

If people only decided whether to watch a series based on how the series ended (or if it got cancelled without a proper ending), then a lot of series wouldn't be watched.  But that does not seem to be the case.   

I've read so many vocal critics of this season say they pretend the show stopped with Hollander's Woods (or Veritas, even) and they've stopped watching (but not stopped complaining!). So if their now hated show goes on to a hated spinoff, they can just pretend to have more amnesia.

If people only decided whether to watch a series based on how the series ended (or if it got cancelled without a proper ending), then a lot of series wouldn't be watched. But that does not seem to be the case.

I totally get what your saying here and when you look at something like Greys and Derrik dying, i see that side - but with Castle, the whole series has truly been about the slow build of their lovestory. If it ends badly, all those 7/8 yrs of storyline are gone. No other real storyline thread there, in my opinion. I can see people who have watched continuing if they are still interested but not going back and buying past eps. Thats just my thought. I know i wouldnt.

I totally get what your saying here and when you look at something like Greys and Derrik dying, i see that side - but with Castle, the whole series has truly been about the slow build of their lovestory. If it ends badly, all those 7/8 yrs of storyline are gone. No other real storyline thread there, in my opinion. I can see people who have watched continuing if they are still interested but not going back and buying past eps. Thats just my thought. I know i wouldnt.

I wouldn't either. Hollanders Woods was the series finale for me. I haven't watched 1 single epi of S8, and I have no plans to do so at this time. I know there are certain episodes I skip on TNT, such as The Squab and the Quail. So I would have no problem not watching S8 in syndication.

TV Line probably got a bunch of quotes from the showrunners at TCA, and are now slowly unspooling them tidbit by tidbit in their write-ups.

This premise about an upcoming episodes actually sounds interesting to me.  Is this the one written by TPW?  I've pitched a Castle episode like 12 Angry Men where Castle is a juror, but being a witness could be interesting too.  A Rashomon angle could be cool.  And it would allow Beckett to get involved with giving him advice as she must have been on the stand for the prosecution many times before.  Callbacks are good, if done well.

If people only decided whether to watch a series based on how the series ended (or if it got cancelled without a proper ending), then a lot of series wouldn't be watched.  But that does not seem to be the case.   

I agree about watching a series without knowing the ending. But at the same time a terrible ending definitely affects how much I want to rewatch it in the future. Sadly it will even stop me from enjoying earlier episodes as much knowing how it ends. A show that leaves me dissatisfied when it ends usually becomes a bad show to me.

• Love 3

I don't think the network or showrunners care about the show rewatch numbers once it's off the air. With streaming, are DVD sales even worth it anymore (I honestly don't know)? And Castle is one of the few successful shows out there absent from Netflix.

Even in syndication, people still watch shows with bad endings like HIMYM and Seinfeld. People still watch Lost on Netflix (it even made the media cycle this week that Netflix had uploaded the wrong, shortened version of the finale). I don't think the casual viewer cares that much. Or even knows the ending if they weren't a regular watcher.

Edited by FlickerToAFlame

I don't think TNT has sole rights anymore since, in my area, the show also airs Sunday evenings from 7 to 9 p.m. on MyNetwork.

This premise about an upcoming episodes actually sounds interesting to me.  Is this the one written by TPW?  I've pitched a Castle episode like 12 Angry Men where Castle is a juror, but being a witness could be interesting too.  A Rashomon angle could be cool.  And it would allow Beckett to get involved with giving him advice as she must have been on the stand for the prosecution many times before.  Callbacks are good, if done well.

Thanks for the this madmaverick. 

Hooray finally a spoiler I can be excited about, I've been asking for this for a while. I've always wondered why they never did a courtroom case I hope they make the most of the opportunity and I know there's some Beckett in it too because I've seen the BTS pics so that's even better. 

But one concern is Hawley comments about things going sideways during his testimony, please, please, please writers resist the urge to bring out buffoon Castle as a means of creating some "fun" which will spoil things. I hate seeing Castle being made to act the clown and look like an idiot for cheap laughs. 

I see from the comments section that Matt is teasing a "massive Q&A" coming "some day" with Hawley and Winter, can't wait to see what fresh nonsense he gets out of them.  Although I'm still waiting for that Stana interview he promised ages ago so...

Edited by verdana

Thanks for the this madmaverick.

Hooray finally a spoiler I can be excited about, I've been asking for this for a while. I've always wondered why they never did a courtroom case I hope they make the most of the opportunity and I know there's some Beckett in it too because I've seen the BTS pics so that's even better.

But one concern is Hawley comments about things going sideways during his testimony, please, please, please writers resist the urge to bring out buffoon Castle as a means of creating some "fun" which will spoil things. I hate seeing Castle being made to act the clown and look like an idiot for cheap laughs.

I see from the comments section that Matt is teasing a "massive Q&A" coming "some day" with Hawley and Winter, can't wait to see what fresh nonsense he gets out of them. Although I'm still waiting for that Stana interview he promised ages ago so...

I kind of wonder if there is anything AH and TPW will say in interviews this year that will make me happy?? I kind of get the impression that their hands are tied. I refuse to believe 2 experienced tv writers would continue to make a show that so many fans don't seem to really enjoy anymore -- unless -- they have no other choice.

I know there are some fans who are enjoying this season but when I keep reading people calling for the show to be axed you have to wonder....people would rather see a show they once loved axed than carry on and get a new season. It's just depressing really.

I am firmly in the club of AH and TPW not being that obtuse. I know it's a small membership. My wrath lies more with the network.....Castle should not have been renewed this season and it definitely shouldn't be next season.

Edited by BellyLaughter

I kind of wonder if there is anything AH and TPW will say in interviews this year that will make me happy?? I kind of get the impression that their hands are tied. I refuse to believe 2 experienced tv writers would continue to make a show that so many fans don't seem to really enjoy anymore -- unless -- they have no other choice.

I know there are some fans who are enjoying this season but when I keep reading people calling for the show to be axed you have to wonder....people would rather see a show they once loved axed than carry on and get a new season. It's just depressing really.

I am firmly in the club of AH and TPW not being that obtuse. I know it's a small membership. My wrath lies more with the network.....Castle should not have been renewed this season and it definitely shouldn't be next season.

Im with you here. I wish tho that they would stop with the ridiculous interviews like we, the viewers, are idiots. Speaking of idiots, i also am weary of buffoon Castle making an appearance in the courtroom episode. They didnt use the word "fun" but hinted at it. Argh

• Love 1

I'm sure their hands are tied about actor availability and all that. But I think they also wanted to make their mark on the show and that's why they are doing all these big storylines like the breakup, Locksat, and the return of Castle's missing time.  I can't think of any reason they'd be forced to write some of the character assassination they've done this year.  Maybe they were pressured to have less Castle/Beckett interaction or to bring back the PI business and give Alexis more to do, but surely there's better ways to do it than we've seen. Any writer has limitations to work with, it's not an excuse for crappy writing.

But I agree there's nothing any showrunners can say that will ever make fans happy.  Annoying fans is part of the job. 

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 2

I'm sure their hands are tied about actor availability and all that. But I think they also wanted to make their mark on the show and that's why they are doing all these big storylines like the breakup, Locksat, and the return of Castle's missing time. I can't think of any reason they'd be forced to write some of the character assassination they've done this year. Maybe they were pressured to have less Castle/Beckett interaction or to bring back the PI business and give Alexis more to do, but surely there's better ways to do it than we've seen. Any writer has limitations to work with, it's not an excuse for crappy writing.

Looking at in from that point of view I guess I shouldn't be so quick to let them off the hook -- they have made several questionable choices this season but I still lean towards the camp of them trying to make lemonade out of lemons -- albeit, failing miserably!!

Looking at in from that point of view I guess I shouldn't be so quick to let them off the hook -- they have made several questionable choices this season but I still lean towards the camp of them trying to make lemonade out of lemons -- albeit, failing miserably!!

I think that's what they're going for in interviews too, but it just comes off as delusional. I like when writers/actors can admit that fans didn't like what they tried to do and say they're trying to fix it.  That can't be easy for them to do graciously, so maybe that's why they go for optimism.

• Love 2

I think that's what they're going for in interviews too, but it just comes off as delusional. I like when writers/actors can admit that fans didn't like what they tried to do and say they're trying to fix it. That can't be easy for them to do graciously, so maybe that's why they go for optimism.

Yeah, continuing to use the word "fun" when this season has been about as fun as ebola is just grating. Given they would also be aware of the discontent (via social media) I can understand why fans are annoyed but I still think they were handed a crap deal this season....no wonder Barry Schindle and Rob Hanning turned the job down....

Edited by BellyLaughter
  • Love 1

I do think...politics behind the scenes in some fashion...has also been a cause of what we see now. Alas, depending on how deep the truth is, this may be the best there is for the remainder.

If indeed strife has caused the "parallel lines that barely intersect" storytelling, it's a shame. And disheartening and some should reassess their career aspirations if they cannot do the jobs as required.

It's funny, and by funny, I mean ironic, that this show seems to be going the exact trajectory that Moonlighting did, also because of ego. (Of course, that show also had the 1988 Writers' Strike, so double whammy there.) Ironic, considering all of the references to that show here over the years.

• Love 4

But then who watches the syndicated shows?

The old fans who want to repeat old experiences?

Or new eyeballs who have heard of the show and are seeing it for the first time?

If the latter, it doesn't really matter how the show ended, back in time somewhere.

I found Castle through syndication on the Space Channel, after being persuaded by some Browncoats to buy the Firefly DVD.

I've been using our new Netflix account to watch The Mindy Project, Frankie and Grace, and Orange is the New Black. I may even try Breaking Bad again if I find it online. Shows I had heard of but am too scattered to watch when they were regularly broadcast.

There is a time to accept that the show should end with a bit of dignity before it becomes a total clusterfuck and that moment in my view has arrived, it had a good run.

Exactly.  The show is reminding me of a beloved pet that is now limping around, clearly in pain, and making messes on the rug.  Please bring it to a compassionate end this spring!

• Love 5