Type keyword(s) to search

Scandal Questions And Scandal Answers

I am just starting season three. I don't care if you spoil me, I only watch this because my husband does at this point.

Am I supposed to be happy and excited about Olivia and Smirky McSmirkenson's love story, and rooting for them. Was it supposed to be romantic that he was by Liv's side making out while Mellie was telling her story. I get the feeling I am supposed to hate Mellie and think she is a bitch. I am disgusted with the total disregard for Mellie BOTH Liv and Fitz has. I don't see any remorse from Liv, the fact she was able to look her in the eye in the first season is stunning.

Mellie has every right to go public with this, as people have a right to know what happened, and she is completely justified for being angry.

What am I missing? I don't find it romantic at all, and I am sick of the story line. I want to see Liv solving problems, and Mellie kicking someone's ass.

Well, I for one have zero interest in Olivia and Putz. He is slime and as evil as Rowan is, he is dead on about who and what Fitz is and what Olivia really is to him.

As for Mellie, while I feel bad that horrible things have happened to her, I have no f...s to give about her. I don't see her as sympathetic or a victim in any of this. To me, Mellie is a combination of Bachman and Palin and she does not possess the capacity to suck me in. Don't ever forget her background; the fact that She was the one who wanted the glory and the power; that she not only co-signed on the Olivia and Putz relationship when it was getting her what she wanted; but that it was her who went to Olivia and offered to gladly allow the relationship to continue if Liv made sure she and Putz did not lose their power. She is no victim, she is a user and a taker just like her husband and his mistress. People forget Mellie's truth, but I dont.

Having said that, I hope Scandal ends with Fitz having no one and nothing and his fraudulent presidency being revealed because that is what he deserves.

Mellie should find some happiness because no one deserves a life of misery. Hopefully this happiness includes someone who loves her and supports her need to be more than ornamental.

Olivia will realize her worth and stop denigrating herself, especially for those who truly deserve nothing out of life. She needs to truly open her eyes and see her potential and who truly loves her (hint, it ain't Putz). This will be the only way she will truly overcome the damage Rowan did to her.

I hope Jake finds some form of happiness and peace and if Olivia is smart she would dump Putz and get with Jake before he gets tired of playing second fiddle to that utter nothing. I think he truly loves her for her and not for what he can get from her. I never thought I would say those things when the character was first introduced, but this is where I am with him now. People think he is jealous of Fitz and that may be true but I think his jealousy is more of not understanding how anyone who truly sees Fitz can love him because Fitz is the ultimate fraud.

I hope Huck can find away to successfully wrestle down and survive his demons to become a fully functional human being. I also hope he gets to have a relationship with Javi.

I hope someone gets Ella away from Cyrus before he does to her what Rowan did to Olivia. I also hope Cyrus goes down in flames because that is straight evil.

Don't care what happens to Quinn cause I just can't with her.

Edited by Happytobehere

+1. I think Olivia ended up with someone enough like her father to draw her and enough different to offend her father as much as she possibly can.

It's been known to happen.

Sadly I think we are suppose to find the Olitz relationship hot and tormented. Lord knows the shippers do. I find the relationship to be vile. I feel like such a broken record when it comes to Fitz because I say over and over again that I just do not get it.

• Love 5

As for Mellie, while I feel bad that horrible things have happened to her, I have no f...s to give about her. I don't see her as sympathetic or a victim in any of this. To me, Mellie is a combination of Bachman and Palin and she does not possess the capacity to suck me in. Don't ever forget her background; the fact that She was the one who wanted the glory and the power; that she not only co-signed on the Olivia and Putz relationship when it was getting her what she wanted; but that it was her who went to Olivia and offered to gladly allow the relationship to continue if Liv made sure she and Putz did not lose their power. She is no victim, she is a user and a taker just like her husband and his mistress. People forget Mellie's truth, but I don't.

Exactly. No sympathy at all for Mellie.

While I feel bad that Mellie was raped and the fact that Fitz treats her like something stuck at the bottom of his shoe I still don't like her. I agree with others she wanted the power and all that came with being The First Lady. 

• Love 1

While I feel bad that Mellie was raped and the fact that Fitz treats her like something stuck at the bottom of his shoe I still don't like her. I agree with others she wanted the power and all that came with being The First Lady.  

Exactly.  Like when Mellie is complaining to Liz about how she doesn't really have a proper job as First Lady, she's shut out from the political decision making process, and it'll be different when a man becomes the First Husband, I had to roll my eyes.  People elected Fitz to make political decisions, not Mellie.    

Exactly. Like when Mellie is complaining to Liz about how she doesn't really have a proper job as First Lady, she's shut out from the political decision making process, and it'll be different when a man becomes the First Husband, I had to roll my eyes. People elected Fitz to make political decisions, not Mellie.

See, I never got why Mellie couldn't be seen as a viable candidate to run on her own, if Fitz the daddy's boy hated the idea so much. The only reason we're given in the show is that she'she's "too Southern" or whatever. Except Sally Langston is from the South too as the line about her marrying Daniel to hold her head up around the debutante suggests. She was well-bred, well educated, the daughter-in-law of one of California's most beloved governerns and doesn't let her lady parts dictate every decision in her life.

TLDR; I agree Mellie should have attempted to run if she was really all about wanting to gain power instead of forcing hair model Fitz to do her bidding.

See, I never got why Mellie couldn't be seen as a viable candidate to run on her own, if Fitz the daddy's boy hated the idea so much. The only reason we're given in the show is that she'she's "too Southern" or whatever. Except Sally Langston is from the South too as the line about her marrying Daniel to hold her head up around the debutante suggests. She was well-bred, well educated, the daughter-in-law of one of California's most beloved governerns and doesn't let her lady parts dictate every decision in her life.

TLDR; I agree Mellie should have attempted to run if she was really all about wanting to gain power instead of forcing hair model Fitz to do her bidding.

Why didn't Michelle Obama run instead of Barack Obama?  Mellie might not have felt the desire to when she and Fitz actually had a marriage.  People, and what they want, change over time.

As for Sally, I side eye the fictional American public hard for making that a close race.  There's no way someone as blatantly traitorous as Sally with her views would ever get herself elected to POTUS.

I am just starting season three. I don't care if you spoil me, I only watch this because my husband does at this point.

Am I supposed to be happy and excited about Olivia and Smirky McSmirkenson's love story, and rooting for them.

Yes.

Was it supposed to be romantic that he was by Liv's side making out while Mellie was telling her story.

Yes.

I get the feeling I am supposed to hate Mellie and think she is a bitch.

Right again.

I am disgusted with the total disregard for Mellie BOTH Liv and Fitz has. I don't see any remorse from Liv, the fact she was able to look her in the eye in the first season is stunning.

Mellie has every right to go public with this, as people have a right to know what happened, and she is completely justified for being angry.

What am I missing? I don't find it romantic at all, and I am sick of the story line. I want to see Liv solving problems, and Mellie kicking someone's ass.

You're not missing anything. This is pretty standard Shonda Rhimes. The wife is a bitch for existing; her husband and his girlfriend are twu wuv. (see Grey's Anatomy for her first iteration of this template)

• Love 2

So, I have a question. I'm a few episodes behind in this season, but I feel like maybe I'm missing something. This really isn't a new thing, but still something I completely don't understand. Why is Sally able to be on TV and go unfettered criticizing the president given what they have on her? Similarly, why is Mellie able to launch her campaign against Fitz even though they have great blackmail material on her? With both Sally and Mellie, the blackmail they had on both kept them in check initially, but now it's like they've forgotten their substantial misdeeds and haven't bothered to threaten them with exposure.

What am I missing here? I don't get it. Is it just convenient to forget so they can write and use both the way they want? I mean, they do the same thing with Cyrus, acting like he didn't order a murder or two. So, is that just it or am I forgetting something that happened that puts them both in a better position than I am remembering?

Or is the main problem just me trying to use logic and reason and I should know better because this is Scandal?

So, I have a question. I'm a few episodes behind in this season, but I feel like maybe I'm missing something. This really isn't a new thing, but still something I completely don't understand. Why is Sally able to be on TV and go unfettered criticizing the president given what they have on her? Similarly, why is Mellie able to launch her campaign against Fitz even though they have great blackmail material on her? With both Sally and Mellie, the blackmail they had on both kept them in check initially, but now it's like they've forgotten their substantial misdeeds and haven't bothered to threaten them with exposure.

What am I missing here? I don't get it. Is it just convenient to forget so they can write and use both the way they want? I mean, they do the same thing with Cyrus, acting like he didn't order a murder or two. So, is that just it or am I forgetting something that happened that puts them both in a better position than I am remembering?

Or is the main problem just me trying to use logic and reason and I should know better because this is Scandal?

Yes. The idea that any of them (save Susan) are "white hats" or have any sort of moral high ground to stand on is completely absurd. Maybe it's supposed to be true to life, in that people really do judge others for behavior they excuse in themselves.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

I think to some degree Sally has leverage because there would be no way for them to expose her without exposing themselves. If they choose to expose her, that's the mutually assured destruction route.  Other than that, I think we're supposed to forget they have dirt on those people.

My question. Fitz's second term started at the end of season 3. How the heck are we in mid season 5 now and he's at the end of his four year term? Is the show that desperate to get Millie as POTUS?

• Love 1

My question. Fitz's second term started at the end of season 3. How the heck are we in mid season 5 now and he's at the end of his four year term? Is the show that desperate to get Millie as POTUS?

Time jumps. Lots of time jumps.  6 months here, 6 months there.  Shonda has pulled the same stunts with Grey's where the "first year" took 3 seasons and then they sped through multiple years.

I think it is a lack of proper planning, personally. Time jumps to serve the plot without thinking how that would affect longevity.

On 5/29/2016 at 10:01 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

What are they going for with the Olivia/Jake relationship? I don't get it.

Filling time in each episode since it is a cash cow for ABC?  They don't seem to have any continuity or goal in mind for the relationship.  

On 1/3/2015 at 8:48 PM, Cheetosandchoc said:

II am disgusted with the total disregard for Mellie BOTH Liv and Fitz has. 

Mellie: the one who aided and abetted this affair from the very beginning? S1-e3 she invited Olivia to the state dinner in the hopes that she's see Fitz b/c Fitz wasn't sleeping and she knew being with Olivia would help. PS: That was before Olivia/Fitz knew that she knew about them.  The Mellie that was mad at Olivia in S1-e7 b/c she left Fitz broken hearted and that allowed Amanda Tanner to sneak in and damn near take down the administration?
Yes, Fitz can be an asshole but Mellie is no victim. She actively helped this relationship and all to help and further her agenda. No matter what kind bullshit re-write Shonda & her writing team try to do now.  

• Love 1

My question is about Olivia's abortion in season 5. Is it possible she was carrying Jake's baby? Does anyone remember the last time she had sex with Jake before moving into the White House?

I know it is far-fetched, especially since I don't know how much time passed between the end of season 4 and the season 5 premiere. And I'm pretty sure Jake and Olivia weren't intimate post-kidnapping, but I wanted to put it out there to see if anyone knows the timeline.

I started watching this show on Netflix probably as self-punishment because I cannot bring myself to like anything Shonda has her hands on. Then I had to stop watching because it was just too much suspension of disbelief. So I am not on my second try and am about one third into the third season. 

I have been trying to grasp what I think is the premise of the show: the "endearing" romance between Olivia and the Prez. To me, he is a misogynistic ass. The way he speaks to the women in the show "sit up!" "come back!" . And the "powerful" Olivia always complies. Yes, she complains and yells, but she always complies. This relationship is abusive, plan and simple. There is no love there. Control, yes. Love, no.

And just a little peeve about the scene where the WH intruder tries to make it to the Oval Office: supposedly, he was in a West Wing tour, detached himself from the group and ran to the Oval. Ignoring for a moment how one would find the way from A to B, the WH has a policy of not allowing West Wing tours when the President is in. It does't happen. 

• Love 2