Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation: The Next Avatar Series

Now that Korra is done, there has been thought as to what will happen next.  Ideally, it would be nice if Bryke could make another Avatar series, this time focusing on an Earth Avatar.  However since Nick treated the last series rather horribly (not even airing most of the episodes on TV, and cutting the budget for the final book), it's likely one won't come on Nick, if at all. 

If Bryke were to get the green light (or perhaps commissioned a comic) what would the Earth Avatar be like?

I'd like to think that we could go back to the past - perhaps to the last Earthbender in the cycle - prior to Avatar Kyoshi.  I would think it would be a male who has been Avatar for a while (perhaps a decade or more) and is almost at the peak of their power.  In this way, we'd see how the Avatar lived in the past, long before Aang, the respect and knowledge of an experienced Avatar who already is master of their powers and knows how to keep the balance.  Since it's in the past, he'd have access to other past lives and we'd get a bit more info on other past Avatars.  It would be long before 100 year war and each nation would still be as they were before the upheaval Fire Lord Sozin created.  The series need not even last as long as Korra or the original series - perhaps another mini series lasting 15-20 episodes.

If a series were to move forward, that means Korra would die and the new Avatar would be born in the new Earth [Republic].  That could be decades down the line and who knows what the future world would be like since Korra's time. 

• Love 1

I think it would be interesting to have the next Avatar in relatively modern times. S/He'd have to deal with overpopulation, climate change, man's destruction of the natural world, etc. Maybe the spirits would have given up and gone back to their own world. Perhaps the Avatar would be considered irrelevant to many people because of modern technology.  It would be a darker tale about an Avatar in a world that doesn't think it needs one any more.

None of this matters because Nickelodeon is never going to pony up the money for another series .

• Love 1

If they do another Avatar series, I hope they wait about 10 years.  It would take time for Bryke to develop another stable of memorable characters, and Korra and Aang are such polar opposites, it could be tough to develop another avatar who doesn't favor one of them in personality. 

In the meantime, I'd be happy for LOK comics similar to the current ones for ATLA.

I like both your ideas Magicdog and Lokiberry.

I think it would be great to see a more experience earth avatar from the past.. I'd actually like it to be Kyoshi but I doubt it'd happen.

But also, an avatar set in modern times would struggle to be taken seriously and people would disregard them. I think it would be interesting to see how they cope in a crisis and what they did to show people that they needed to take everything more seriously.

• Love 1

Wan's story was well told in the two eps dedicated to him.  In fact, I think instead of Korra, I think they should have gone with a Wan mini series first.  Plenty of questions would have been answered and there would still be enough to entertain without taking up an entire book or series of books.

I'm also curious how the world would look if the next Avatar was born after Korra;  her world was modeled after the 1920s.  Perhaps the future would somewhat resemble the 1950s (Satomobiles covered in chrome and drag racing through the streets) or a 60s mod world(As if Carnaby Strret was reimagined in Hong Kong.

Also, would Korra live a long life or would she have been an Avatar that was cut short?  Aang died younger than most Avatars (but that was explained), and since Korra doesn't have that issue, would she be as long lived as Kyoshi or Roku?  Correct me if I'm wrong but Avatars (and benders in general) tend to be long lived;  in which case she could live another century.

Also, would Korra live a long life or would she have been an Avatar that was cut short?  Aang died younger than most Avatars (but that was explained), and since Korra doesn't have that issue, would she be as long lived as Kyoshi or Roku?

Where was Aang's situation explained? In the show or was it explained in the comics?  I totally missed it.

Where was Aang's situation explained? In the show or was it explained in the comics?  I totally missed it.

Definitely wasn't explained in the show and I haven't read all the comics, but the general impression I've gotten from second-hand Word of God is that Aang's lifespan was reduced because of all the energy needed to keep him alive in the iceberg for a century. It's rather morbid, but I wonder what it was that finished him off...overextending himself in a fight or becoming ill or his heart just ceasing. All we know about how he died is that it wasn't while he was in the Avatar State.

If there is another avatar series, here is what I imagine:

It's set about 80 years later, and since people live longer in that world, many of the characters we know now would still be alive.  Kuvira would be back in power over the Earth Republic as Her Supreme Excellency the Ruler Elected for Life.  How she returned to power would be a major story in and of itself.  She would make it her mission to find the next avatar and train him/her to be her successor, or at least to adopt her goals of Earth Republic supremacy.  The next avatar would start the series brainwashed and autocratic, but eventually rediscover who he/she was.

By the way, can we also use this thread to speculate what will happen to the LOK characters after the conclusion of the series? 

I have an issue with Kuvira as the big bad in the future - if only because I'd like to think she would have been executed for her crimes.  Of course Zaheer wasn't executed for his crimes - merely chained in a super secure prison so I suppose it could happen. 

I do like the thought of the next Avatar having been brainwashed to serve as a ruler of the [world], only to realize their true purpose.  However - wouldn't Korra's spirit (or perhaps Rava) try to warn [him]?

I have an issue with Kuvira as the big bad in the future - if only because I'd like to think she would have been executed for her crimes.  Of course Zaheer wasn't executed for his crimes - merely chained in a super secure prison so I suppose it could happen. 

I do like the thought of the next Avatar having been brainwashed to serve as a ruler of the [world], only to realize their true purpose.  However - wouldn't Korra's spirit (or perhaps Rava) try to warn [him]?

They don't seem to believe in capital punishment in the Avatar universe (except in the Water Tribes).  Re: the brainwashing, spirit Korra could be like some sort of ghost haunting the next avatar, driving him/her mad as he/she tries to suppress her.

can we also use this thread to speculate what will happen to the LOK characters after the conclusion of the series?

I do have some thoughts:

• Prince Wu becomes a media sensation and travels the world with his singing badger mole act.   He's shown on this universe's version of The Ed Sullivan Show (in vintage clips).

• Varrick and Zhu Li have a happy union.  She never forgets about taking care of "the thing".

• Bolin becomes a master lava bender and becomes a legend in the Earthbending arena.  To capitalize on his fame he opens a chain of noodle shops called, "Pabu's".

• Mako rises in the ranks at the RCPD.  He ultimately gets more fire benders to join the ranks, as up until now, it has been majority of Earth and metal benders.  He realized Asami was the best he'll ever have.

• Asami remains single and focuses on Sato Industries.  She adopts a child or two (perhaps relatives of Mako's & Bolin's family who were living with her), and has them follow in her footsteps in the biz.  She helps rebuild RC after the damage from the final battle.  She continues her partnership with Varrick, who invents all kinds of "things" that move the world further into a high tech society.

• Korra's cousins, Desna & Eska continue to jointly rule the NWT, and no one is suicidal enough to dare to inquire about their odd sleeping accommodations.

• Tenzin's children continue the Air Nomad legacy from their father.  Eventually, they continue to wander the earth with their bisons, as Meelo's fart bending becomes the stuff of legend.

• Su Yin and her family (minus Bataar Jr. and Opal) go back to repair Zaofu . 

• Lin eventually retires from the RCPD and eventually finds out what became of her father.  She eventually also finds out who fathered Su Yin...... Sokka!. 

• Opal marries Bolin.  Whenever he thinks about doing something stupid, she reminds him of when he supported a ruthless regime and nearly allowed the world to be ruled by a dictator.  Bolin backs down and buys her another expensive piece of jewelry or fur. 

• Korra continues as the Avatar, but due to her radical actions over the past 3-6 years, history books record her as better than Kuruk, and worse than Kuruk. 

The big question is how Korra dies and how far into her Avatar career will it occur?

One thing I foresee is that Korra and Asami will get together for a while, and their dynamic will be very different from Korra and Mako's.  While Korra got away with yelling at Mako a lot in Season 2, I don't think Asami would put up with that, and Korra would probably know it.  If Korra did something like blast aside a desk in a fit of anger, Asami would probably give her her walking papers.    

I also like the idea of the next avatar being groomed to be an Earth Kingdom ruler. One of the things from Season 2 that was really interesting to me was the fact that Korra could have ended up being next in line to rule the (Northern) Water Tribes.

If they do a show with the avatar after Korra, it would be set at the equivalent of the turn of the century, right? It might be cool if the style of the show references the 90s; but that might be my nostalgia showing.

They'd never do this but imagine if the next Avatar was actually thought to be the main villain? Like you think he's the main villain but you then find out that he's a puppet for someone else. 

Anyways, the series would focus on a group of benders/non-benders of various ages who team up together as they find it to be their mission to take down the Avatar. But as they go on, they realize that the Avatar was actually a tool for the leader of the Earth Kingdom or some faction of Earth Kingdom extremists. You could also have cameos from former cast members or even children of those former cast members. Stuff like that.

I'd love for the show to go back in time and explore the lives of the pre-Aang Avatars. It's such a rich and fascinating world that Bryke created; I'd love know more of its history. 

If you're familiar with some of the show's supplementary material, there's a lot they could elaborate on: Kyoshi forming the Dai Li, Kuruk's run-in with Koh the Face-Stealer, and after that they could go even further back. I can image a ten-part miniseries that has each episode focus on a different Avatar and what influence they had on the world. 

• Love 1