Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Stick In the Mud / Psyche

photo fox

Eliza's long lost sister Bethany arrives for a visit and with her brings a host of unresolved issues that challenge Eliza's progress. Meanwhile, Henry attempts to beat Freddy in the company's Tough Mudder for charity, and their long-simmering feud comes to a head.

For some reason ABC.com has a different title for this on the main Selfie page versus the episode page, so I put them both in the topic title. *shrug*

Oh man, how much do I relate to Eliza when it comes to her relationship with her sister? I, too, always felt overshadowed by the overachieving, perfect sister. Still do.

Go Charmonique!

Clever cinematography on Eliza's blown kiss.

• Love 2

I enjoyed it... I guess. Felt a little like filler. But I enjoyed that Freddy finally expressed frustration that Eliza seems to be much more into Henry than him.  I also adored Henry this episode. He just doesn't want to help Eliza with her image but her whole life. I enjoyed him watching her call her mom.

And CHARMONIQUE !  You go girl.

I will really miss this show. Even when it is filler it makes me laugh. I really wanted to see Henry's family.

• Love 2

I remain utterly unconvinced this show will have a romantic ending. I hope to be pleasantly surprised next week. But the "catch a kiss-- no wait, I totally didn't mean to do that" is probably about three episodes away from an actual confession of feelings, at least for a show with normal pacing. Henry's newfound reemphasis on "I want to change Eliza" would be revealed to be a cover for "I want to date Eliza." We'll see.

The sister fight was so well-done -- I could see both sides quite clearly. I also liked that they went with the sister actually having a "perfect" life. Typical sitcom setup on that would be the sister would be getting a divorce and all those pictures would be lies. Very realistic and honest storytelling.

• Love 1

This episode was okay but it felt very like filler somehow.

It was nice to see Freddy getting fleshed out a bit with his own interests other than Eliza and sex.

That elevator scene was all sorts of ridiculous.

• Love 1

The sister fight was so well-done -- I could see both sides quite clearly. I also liked that they went with the sister actually having a "perfect" life. Typical sitcom setup on that would be the sister would be getting a divorce and all those pictures would be lies. Very realistic and honest storytelling.

Yeah I was so glad that they didnt resort to  the sis having a divorce or something.

Also I was curious how they would be able to show Eliza being the ugly sister, but yeah, her sis  is gorgeous, makes Eliza look frumpy almost.

Finally saw this episode.  Not my favorite; a bit to much of a filler in some ways; but I did like getting more of Eliza's background.  A lot of it makes sense: her parents were divorcing around the time she was born so she didn't feel like they cared for her, and her older sister was one of those people that everyone just loved, and made Eliza feel insecure.  Not famailar with the actress playing Bethany, but I thought she fit the character very well.

The stuff with Henry and Freddy was amusing enough. I do like how it ended: with them bonding over Rocky.  I actually didn't see the reveal that Charmonique won coming, until right before Saperstein said so.

So, I guess the end will be happening tomorrow, right?  I hope it ends strong.  Will really miss seeing John Cho and Karen Gillan together.

• Love 1

It was nice to see Freddy getting fleshed out a bit with his own interests other than Eliza and sex.

That elevator scene was all sorts of ridiculous.

But in a good way.

• Love 1

I had an issue with how this episode made it seem like Eliza was completely wrong about her sister.

Eliza was projecting a lot of evilness onto her sister - like believing that her sister got pregnant just to make her look bad. But at the same time, the sister was passive-aggressive as all hell in her interactions with Eliza. She was displaying the kind of snooty fakeness you'd expect from, well, a mean girl.

(And sorry, writers, but "she went through a divorce, and then was a single mother" is not an excuse for someone displaying photos of only one of her two kids in her home.)

Also I was curious how they would be able to show Eliza being the ugly sister, but yeah, her sis  is gorgeous, makes Eliza look frumpy almost.

That's interesting, I felt the opposite way. The actress playing the sister was lovely, but I didn't think she could hold a candle to Eliza in the looks department.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 3

I had an issue with how this episode made it seem like Eliza was completely wrong about her sister.

Eliza was projecting a lot of evilness onto her sister - like believing that her sister got pregnant just to make her look bad. But at the same time, the sister was passive-aggressive as all hell in her interactions with Eliza. She was displaying the kind of snooty fakeness you'd expect from, well, a mean girl.

(And sorry, writers, but "she went through a divorce, and then was as a single mother" is not an excuse for someone displaying photos of only one of her two kids in her home.)

I totally agree. This episode felt a bit off to me (and might actually be my least favorite) for exactly the reasons you described. Also, I feel like we should have heard about Eliza's family issues before this episode. Why wasn't Eliza's sister at any of her birthday parties? And your mother covering the house with only photos of your big sister is probably going to do a lot more harm than being voted Most Butt. Poor Eliza.

Edited to add that I loved the moment when Henry knew he'd better not grab any of the snacks the sister brought.

Edited by Mockingbird
  • Love 2

I agree. The way Henry and Freddy were sectioned off into their own plotline and just the overall structure made it feel like filler. I agree her sister came out of nowhere as far as what we knew about Eliza up to this point. Also, yes, it was a weak reversal trying to explain away the situation as Eliza misreading things when her sister was very clearly undermining her and very passive-aggressive to the point where she was constantly drawing attention and correcting her. I didn't need her to secretly have a terrible relationship with her husband but admitting that some of the guilt for their poor relationship rested on her behavior would have been nice.

• Love 1