Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chili's

STAR WARS!!!!  woooo!

But God... I saw a trailer in front of SW- Zootopia trailer with some sloth? and turned to the Dark Side right then and there. Talk about unbearable. There's like 3 minutes of my life I"d like back.

Now that Star Wars is out of the way, I'm gonna go see Tina and Amy next!

We should chip in and collect for Kalliste a buck~n~29 so she can rock out to Kylie "I'm gonna be warm this winter."  ( I only know of this as she was on Graham Norton with Daisy/ John/ Carrie doing Star Wars chatting.)  I recommend everyone who has checked out SW already to check out that Graham episode. Daisy & John have great chemistry.

I was this close  ------------>|                    |<------------   to buying half a dozen Philly cheesesteaks from a place IN Philly, and over-nighting them to LA for Christmas Eve. Except it costs a TREMENDOUS amount of moolah to get "the sure to be yummies" shipped out to LA.  THANKS OBAMA!

Hey guess what? I'm in one of the Hateball finals!  Again! I may win another MUG O'GLORIOUSNESS!  I know you'll all be checking in over Christmas weekend to find out.

• Love 2

Arrg Hateball. My team showed flashes of competence-- but injuries killed me and I imploded about 2/3's of the way through the season. 

My team is so not mug-worthy.

Best to all of you still striving for gloriousness!

Edited by sacrebleu
  • Love 1

My brief moment of potentially playing for first came to a swift end -- thanks, Drew Brees....

Fighting it out for 3rd instead!  Thanks for another fun year of Hateball, hateballers!

And happy holidays everybody!

• Love 1

Belated Happy Festivus to all!

Oh yeah, and Merry Christmas too. May you enjoy the holiday and family and we'll cross fingers if you were on Santa's good list, to whether you get the goods or not.

Merry Christmas, KoB!  And Merry Christmas to all the Chili-ites!  

It is 73 in my house right now. It got up to 67, but the oven was on all day. And because there is a strong smell of skunk means we need to close the windows. So, here in  New England, we actually turned on the AC. What the hell?

Merry Christmas!!

• Love 1

Went to IKEA today for the first time. Our store has been opened for about 6 weeks. I thought it'd be ok to go today because people generally leave my city over Christmas and figured the after Christmas chaos would have died down.. nope. There were SO MANY PEOPLE there. Although the place is so big that it can pack huge amounts of people and you don't feel too overcrowded.

Spent nearly 3hrs there and had to come home and have a nap :P

I hear Ikea is a marathon, not a sprint. Did you have a specific item in mind, and did you get it? Or were you just having an adventure?

The weather's finally gotten chilly here, frenchtoast. How is it on the coast? We're actually supposed to get a little freezing rain and snow tonight. I've been enjoying the balmy weather but at the same time it's kind of unnerving. El nino isn't kidding around!

I tried to make a suggestion to Medicare today. It turns out there is no way to do this, according to the person who I spoke to at the Medicare customer service line. The closest thing is to write to your Senator. Which I will do. But I got grouchy about the fact that there's no actual way to do it directly.

What was your favorite gift you gave or received?

I am not sure what my favorite present was. I actually splurged like a maniac because I had a ton of unexpected money due to heating oil prices dropping to half what I had budgeted for, combined with the "December heat wave" frenchtoast mentioned-- so I had a ton more money floating around than I usually do, because it's costing so much less to heat my apartment.

Anyway, I bought MYSELF mostly utilitarian stuff, but I like that kind of thing. Practical is fun for me. It wasn't even holiday-related, it was just "heating budget re-allocation spree" -- so I got some Corelle dishes and some clothes (wool socks, and the like; nothing fancy), some stackable shelves I'm using as a plant stand, and a new sewing machine (my old machine was at least 30 years old), a new overbed table that hasn't arrived yet but which I am hoping will actually be sturdy enough for a real computer monitor instead of my laptop which I hate, and some fabric. It doesn't sound fun, but I'm in hog heaven. Oh, and some olives. Like, an entire case of olives. I really like olives but they don't seem very justifiable as a necessity. Olives are my way of being impractical and self-indulgent. El Nino is my Santa. And whoever is responsible for cutting oil prices in half. I read a few articles about that, but opinions seem to vary on why that's happening, so I don't know who to thank for that part. But thanks, OPEC or whoever!

Sadly, no jetpacks. Win some, lose some. But I hear the hyperloop is coming soon. That's some consolation.

I did give some presents, too. I'm not a total jerk. But I can't speak to what the recipients' favorites were.

Three hours in Ikea?  That's NOTHING. You're a light-weight. ;-)

In my defence, I think our Ikea is on the smaller side. My city doesn't meet the normal population requirements of an Ikea but from what I hear the local government did a shady deal and BAM we have an Ikea!

I didn't have anything in particular in mind possibilities, I really had no idea what the whole craze was about. It was a bit overwhelming actually, there is just so. much. stuff. I don't really like the system of "look at all these displays, note down the stuff you like and go find it later!" mostly because I kept putting down the pencils they provide and forgetting about them :P

I understand what you mean about having fun buying the mundane things in life. One of the things I bought today was a little matte black bin for my bathroom and I was pretty happy with that :P I also went a bit crazy over drawer organisers but didn't buy anything, there was just too many of them! I might go back another time (when hopefully it isn't quite so busy) and have a plan that time so I actually come out with the things I want.

Also, does it frustrate anyone else that there is so little English in Ikea? We have to have helpful signs up in the bedding area to tell us which size relates to Australian sizing.. and I have no idea what items are what on my receipt. 

My favourite present was probably the Kindle (I finally have one!) from my bf! Although my Mum and my bf's parents also bought us vouchers to some nice restaurants in the city so I'm excited to eat for free on them :D Oh and my bf's Mum bought me a red hand mixer which has whisk attachments and I've wanted one for ages! Yep, I'm a weirdo :P

What was your favorite gift you gave or received?

This will sound a little corny. But the best present I got was an old photo of my dad.

I've mentioned my dad's health issues and the fact that we moved him into an assisted living facility a few months back.  When we got rid of some of the furniture he didn't need anymore-- my brother discovered a treasure trove of old photos in a little album my dad had stuck in a drawer.

My brother had the pictures scanned and framed and gave them to people as Christmas gifts. I got an amazing shot of my dad and my uncle as little kids-- with their arms around my grandfather. The picture is probably about 70 years old. 

• Love 2
The weather's finally gotten chilly here, frenchtoast. How is it on the coast? We're actually supposed to get a little freezing rain and snow tonight.

We got some snow last night and now it's doing some sort of rain/ice thing. So it's finally gotten cold. But only briefly, because it's supposed to be around 45 for the next couple of days.

However, I spent Christmas in Minnesota, and contrary to what the forecast actually predicated it was cold the entire time I was there and snowed twice (but not very much). It was 12ºF on Sunday, so that was chilly. But it was nice to have the feel of winter without having to worry about practicalities since I wasn't at home.

Happy Holidays, all!

I am enjoying the vacation I get since my lab is closed. I am playing a lot of video games and nursing a sick Guts. We got only our second snow of the year yesterday, though. Too late, mother nature! You were 4 days too late!

Anyway, I did this on Sunday: 

tat_zpsastwa6qp.jpg

I love it so much! :)  I went with my girlfriend and it was a blast. It's only my second tattoo so now I need to plan some more. They are addicting. 

My favorite Christmas present is a tie between a new hoodie from Guts and a new coffee maker (also from Guts). But if you're my facebook friend, you probably saw the new Radio Flyer wagon that Dozer got from Santa aka my sister so he can troll for bitches at the park instead of being stuck inside with a bum hip. 

• Love 2

Possibilities - I was intrigued by your issues with Medicare since I've worked for fairly large government organizations most of my life and know how difficult it is to advocate for change. It's unfortunate, but your ideas probably aren't going to be heard from within the bureaucracy. There are a few Medicare advocacy groups, though, so maybe you could contact one of them?

Our most intriguing Christmas gift was the Samsung Gear VR (or something like that) I got for my husband. We're trying to figure it out and desperately need the assistance of a small child. I did take a short virtual ride on a roller coaster yesterday; while I logically knew I was safely standing in my living room, that didn't prevent me from almost falling over, grabbing the end table, and knocking everything on it to the floor, as I was swooping around and upside down by the shore of Lake Erie. NOT for the easily nauseated.

• Love 1

Ooh sounds awesome Babalu! I don't know anyone that has any VR stuff.. and yes, all I've heard about them is they make you want to throw up :P I hope you are able to get more used to it and see how all its features work.

• Love 1

So many posts since I last checked in!  

I am an Ikea lover too. I really like their kitchens. Their cabinetry looks and functions like high end stuff, without the pricetag.  If I ever get around to updating my kitchen, I would definitely consider going the Ikea route. I get lost in those stores and end up buying all kinds of little storage things, or kitchen gadgets.  The closest one to me is about 45 minutes away, so we like to make a day of it and go to dinner out in the area, etc.

My husband and I don't exchange gifts because we are all about immediate gratification, so we pretty much buy whatever we want when we want it. About a month before Xmas I "let" him buy a PS4, so that's been what we considered his Xmas gift.  I can't think of anything that was particularly for me, but I'm ok with that. I just enjoy getting stuff for the kids and seeing them be happy.

I love your tattoo, Glory!  Does it mean anything special to you or is it just a design you like? I've notices compass style designs are popular right now.

I love your tattoo, Glory!  Does it mean anything special to you or is it just a design you like? I've notices compass style designs are popular right now.

I'm a geographer, by trade. So it is definitely representative of my career and passion.

It wasn't too painful, but part of the "S" was too close to bone for comfort. I swore a blue streak when that was being shaded.

For the last few days I've been playing Ori and the Blind Forest which is a beautiful platformer game with an awesome soundtrack. It was all going nicely, looking at all the beautiful scenery and then.. the Ginso Tree... I must have died more than 100 times trying to pass it. At least it was pretty and the soundtrack was nice :P

Trailer for anyone interested:

There are a few Medicare advocacy groups, though, so maybe you could contact one of them?

That's a great idea. Do you have any in mind that you think are particularly good? I will look around, but it's always good to get a recommendation. I don't really expect my comment to make change, but I figured it couldn't hurt, and if a lot of people do it, then maybe it will ring a bell somewhere that makes an impact.

I really want a VR driving rehabilitation course. I have co-ordination issues so I can't drive, but if I could safely "drive" at home without having to travel to some fancy rehab place a million miles away, I'd totally do it. I give a hard pass on any roller coastery stuff that makes people dizzy or vomity, though. I get enough of that in real life.

I think the framed photo of dad is an awesome gift. If we can't be sentimental over family photos, the world is ending, and soon!

I don't have any experience with Medicare rights groups, but here are a couple you might want to look into: Medicare Ombudsman (https://www.medicare.gov/claims-and-appeals/medicare-rights/get-help/ombudsman.html) if you need help/advocacy with your particular case (internal) Center for Medicare Advocacy (http://www.medicareadvocacy.org/) - I think they both help with specific cases and lobby for changes and is outside the Medicare bureaucracy. Or just Google Medicare advocacy - maybe also listing your state to see if there are local organizations that will listen and help. Good luck!

Last night, the booms and crackles started around 6:00, setting off car alarms and terrifying Archie, one of our cats. The other, Skeeter, wasn't happy but is much more adaptable. Around midnight, I looked out the bedroom window and saw a full panorama - about 20 miles - of fireworks (much of them illegal) from Waikiki to Barbers Point. It was pretty darn spectacular, but I hope everybody used all their contraband last night and we're not subjected to a weekend of leftovers.

Edited to add this, which made me think of possibilities and her dilemma; tried to find it earlier but couldn't; it's from an article in the 01/04/16 issue of The New Yorker: "The urge to change the world is normally thwarted by a near-insurmountable barricade of obstacles: failure of imagination, failure of courage, bad governments, bad planning, incompetence, corruption, fecklessness, the laws of nations, the laws of physics, the weight of history, inertia of all sorts, psychological unsuitability on the part of the would-be changer, the resistance of people who would lose from the change, the resistance of people who would benefit from it, the seduction of activities other than world-changing, lack of practical knowledge, lack of political skill, and lack of money."

Edited by Babalu
  • Love 1

Happy New Year to everyone!

I am happy to report that Twopper bluejaylove won a Hateball mug for the first time ever! Hope you recall him- I believe he did not make the transition here to PTV.

And I'm UNHAPPY to report that bethbox, the Lex Luthor to my Superman, won the other Hateball mug. Curses! Foiled again!

To get 2016 off on the right foot - the EASIEST SURVEY EVER!

• Love 1

voted :)

I'd also have accepted 'what's a gym' with this linked:

I just watched a re-interpretation of Bohemian Rhapsody by a ballet company on the official Queen youtube channel and am pretty sad to report it was a nice dance but didn't seem to have any connection to the song whatsoever.

And I was just linked this. I don't think it's going to recover from the trip in the bucket :D

Okay, I joined a gym. I actually got a jumpstart on my New Year's resolution and took my first Krav Maga class this past Monday. Buying a six month package of classes also gets me access to the gym where the class is held-- so I'm getting a gym membership as well as unlimited classes-- so it's a pretty good deal.

and, I now know what it feels like to get beat up, so that's a plus (?)

There isn't any actual hitting of other people at first, but we're taught basic techniques and practice them using these large padded shields. I was walking pretty gingerly until Thursday. 

• Love 1

Heh. My Medicare issue isn't a big deal, but it just seemed weird to me and I wanted to either find out the rationale or suggest they change it, but I have no actual expectation that they will.

Basically, diabetes supplies are considered a Part B expense (durable medical equipment) and not a part D item (prescription). So in order to get testing supplies (test strips for a glucose meter), they are telling me that I can't just give the pharmacy the prescription from my doctor. The pharmacy ALSO has to send him a form to fill out, in which he says the supplies are medically necessary. As though some of his prescriptions are not medically necessary, I guess????

This means I can't do the transaction in one trip to the pharmacy, and I can't get supplies right away because they have to wait to hear back from my doctor. And the local pharmacies won't mail the stuff to me, so it means I have to PAY SOMEONE to drive to the nearest place (a couple of towns away) TWICE, before I get the supplies.

Or, I could use a mail order Medicare-approved pharmacy in another state, saving the problem of driving, but they say it will take 3 to 4 weeks for them to process the order and get it to me.

Meanwhile, I could buy test strips off the shelf at my own expense without the prescription, and there's really no alternative or recreational use for them, so why are they acting like it's a scary controlled substance, or something that I would want for any non-legitimate reason?

By contrast, when I got a "shower chair" (because I can't stand up in the shower), all I had to do was call the supplier, fax them the prescription, and they sent it to me with no further ado. I had it within 48 hours and no one had to drive anywhere to pick it up.

I just don't understand the difference and why the test strips would be more hoops to jump through than the chair.

Also, the cost of supplies on Amazon.com threatens to be less for me than my co-pay via Medicare, because the pharmacy charges so much more than Amazon, that even the co-pay is more than the Amazon price. But I can't use Medicare to buy from Amazon.

It's not the end of the world but it seems a bit ridiculous.

RE Kalliste's kitty bucket bath... awww. Poor kitty.

I counter with this Wolf Therapy for Veterans video, in which a wolf is super-affectionate to a guy with PTSD: http://www.fuzzysnail.com/vets-and-wolves/

I don't suppose wolf therapy would work for kitties.

Krav Maga sounds scary. But also very cool.

I'm still trying to figure out the difference between "something other than joining a gym" and "other"-- I feel that perhaps "other" is less gym-adjacent than "not joining a gym" and that people who chose "not joining a gym" are maybe joining something like a dance class, or a swim team, or are training for a marathon without gym use?

Edited by possibilities

I know they coat it in civic /patriotic duty, but I have to report for jury duty tomorrow. YUCK. I got the summons way back at the end of March '15, and pushed it ALL the way ... to the first week of January '16. In March, I was all "YAY!"  Now? Not so much.  I thought I could call in and not have to report. Blurghity blurgh blurgh.

Here in LA County, if I don't get on a jury tomorrow, then I'm dismissed after one day.  I want ALL of you to cross your fingers (just one set, no multiple crossing) that I don't get picked.

Kinda pissed about this- mostly because I think this is the 5th or 6th time I've had to report in 15 years. I was called into court but not chosen once, and then put on a jury in '09 (if I recall) and that lasted a week. I went again in January '13 and that was just one day and out.

What about all of you? Have you served on juries?

I have a friend who sat on a jury for a murder trial. The way she talks about it, it sounded very interesting. Maybe if you get seated, you'll find it's not as bad as you anticipate?

I worry that if the only people who wind up on juries are people who have nothing else to do, then cases will be decided by the least interesting and most apathetic in the population.

• Love 1

I had jury duty just last month. For the first time, I had to go into the court room, but I had a legit reason to be excused: my father-in-law had died just the night before, and I didn't know when the service was going to be. (Way to go Death Chicken, huh?) (He had been in hospice and was ready to go, so it wasn't a surprise.)

But I don't hate the one day jury duty thing. I bring books and bills and projects and just think of it as a sorta - vacation day.

Well sure, when I'm there I pay attention and take interest in the details to make the decision seriously. (I thought I wrote a bit about the jury time on old-school Chili's?)

I'm mostly all bothered by how often my name gets stuck on the summons.  How many times have YOU received a summons?  [/get off my lawn-itis]

I've received about the same number of summons as you, KOB. I think it's average.

The info lady said if your name on your driver's license and your name that you're registered to vote under are different (Thomas and Tom, for example) the system treats you as two different people and your odds of being summoned are doubled. Sooo.... there's that.

I've served a couple of times on state court juries (one misdemeanor case, one felony).  I've had to report another time, but was kicked after voir dire. It was a drunk driving case, and the way that defense counsel was really going in depth during voir dire (after three days, when I finally got seated and then kicked, they still hadn't filled the jury), I assumed it was not the defendant's first DUI. In fact, it was probably at least his 3rd, which would have bumped it up into felony level.

Funnily enough, I recently had to call in for US District Court jury duty, for 60 days.  I never had to report, but just as I was nearing the end of the call-in period, I got a summons for state court jury duty, beginning January 10.  So I have to call in for a week beginning this coming Sunday.  I could have put it off, but I'd rather get it over with before spring and summer arrive.

I've been called twice. The first time was n Minnesota, and my brother was dying, so I asked to have it postponed and got called back a couple of months later. I sat in a big room with dozens of other people for two days and didn't even get called for questioning. I didn't really mind since I wrote late Christmas cards and read, except my county was pretty spread out, and it was a long drive to the courthouse. The second time was in Honolulu, but the card told me to call the night before and I got a message saying didn't have to go, which was nice because traffic here is horrible, and I didn't want to add hours to my day commuting there and back.

Which leads me to a completely different question. Many think of Hawai'i as paradise, but I can tell you it's a lot different being a vacationer than it is living and working here. I love many things about it; others, not so much. So - do you feel you're living in the perfect place for you? If you could live anywhere, without thinking about costs, where would you choose and why? I would like to have a nice (not luxurious, but nice - you know, around $2M - hah!) place in Manhattan for theater, museums, restaurants, friends, and just walking around; and a small place in HI. if I'm not fantasizing, though, Northern Virginia sounds kind of attractive - not too cold, not far from the ocean or mountains, fairly easy access to East Coast cultural attractions, etc.

Never been called for Jury duty but I'm not against it. I'd be happy to get paid to see what happens :)

Hmm, if I had the choice Babalu, at this point in time anyway, I'd probably move into a nice apartment in Melbourne CBD for the same reasons. I could walk around to anything I wanted plus the trams are an added bonus. I love the city and would consider moving there but like you said of hawaii, doubt it would be much fun if I had to commute and do day to day things.

I've been called for Jury Duty three times but only had to report once. The first time I was summonsed by Massachusetts, but it was when I was in college in Minnesota and during the school year, which I guess got me out of it because I didn't reschedule (probably because MN was my official residence at the time). The second time I was summonsed by Minnesota, but it was after I'd already graduated and was back living in Massachusetts, so no go on that one either. The third time I actually did have to report and I was selected for a jury for a really short trial that was done by the end of the day.

That was about ten years ago, though, and I haven't been called since. 

Edited by smrou

What about all of you? Have you served on juries?

Way too many times. As a tax paying non-felon in DC, I get called like clockwork every three years. Usually it's just a day. I have served on a jury that lasted two weeks. And back in the spring of 2013, I was called to serve on grand jury duty- which lasted six weeks. (yup) That's the one where you hear preliminary evidence on dozens of cases and decide whether or not to issue indictments.

It was pretty tedious, but also fascinating. The reason why the saying "a grand jury could indict a ham sandwich" exists is because you don't need a unanimous vote, you just need a plurality, and the burden of proof is much lower. (probably committed versus beyond a reasonable doubt).

Best of luck KOB and if you have to serve, I hope the case is interesting. 

Edited by sacrebleu

If I could live wherever I wanted, it would probably be in the greater Seattle area.  I love Seattle, and Washington state is really lovely, and the weather is reasonably temperate on the west side.  I don't think I'd want to live in downtown Seattle, but just north (Edmonds, maybe) or just south (Alki Beach).  

I haven't been called for grand jury yet, which is surprising. However, as I noted above, I was called for US District Court duty just a couple of months ago, and that was the first time I had ever been called for that, after living here as an adult for 35 years.

MichelleAK - I've been researching and zillowing possible retirement havens and Edmonds is on my list! I'm a little afraid that it would be too overcast for me, and the East coast is calling for me a bit more strongly at the moment.

I feel like I'm crunchy enough that I should live in Portland and compost and eat vegan and stuff. I really would like to go there on vacation soon and eat at all the veg restaurants. 

But Chicago 'burbs aren't bad and Illinois is fine for me. 

This is going to sound funny though, but Indianapolis is a really nice "big city" and I joke that it might be the only big city I'd want to live in because it's big but feels small. We go every year for a convention and really enjoy it. 

• Love 1

Hey! I didn't get on the jury. It was close. Got called into a courtroom almost smack at the beginning of the day. After lunch, I was juror #7 for a bit. The defense attorney said he "was fine with the panel" but then right after that, the ADA bounced me. Lots of maneuvering like that (a bunch of jurors were seated before our group- and during voir dire even a few of them were replaced). And YES, once you get in there and start hearing about things, and the jurors have to talk with the judge about questions... I was ready to do my civic duty. But also relieved to be dismissed.

When I got back to the juror's room, I read a book and all of us were released "for at least one year" after 4pm.

I feel like I'm crunchy enough

LOL!  I'm not crunchy enough to live in Portland.

Oh, and by the way, as if you haven't heard- California is being hit by El Nino this week.  IT'S RAINING!  My dog won't go out and do her biz in the rain. I need a 5 minute respite so no bladder issues arise.

eta: Have any of you ever tried pan-roasted brussel sprouts?  Please let LiberryLady know all about your recipe. kthanksbye.

Edited by King of Birds