Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's first season. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I'm re-watching the first season now, and it's a trip.  For one thing, Charlie Hunnam's American accent was much better.  For another, there is some great foreshadowing for the rest of the series; Gemma telling Wendy that Abel will never call her Mommy, Tara telling Gemma that trying to kill Jax's wife is not the way to get on his good side (oof), Jax hugging Uncle Jury after the Indian Hills chapter is patched in...great stuff before, but even better after you've seen the entire series. 

Edited by Billina
  • Love 6

Okay.  I think I'm in Ep 9, watching for the first time.  I'd heard quite a bit about this series and tried to watch it when it was airing several years ago but couldn't get into it.

Right now, I'm on the fence.  I keep comparing it to The Sopranos and it falls short in a lot of ways, from the un-likability of the characters to the lack of gravitas of the male lead.  Speaking of which, I can't get past the simian countenance of Ron Perlman who will always be Vincent, kind of like I keep seeing Peggy Bundy when I look at Gemma.  

But those are my problems and I own them. What I blame the show for is lousy writing, to wit: I just finished the ep where Jax kills the Fed in Tara's bedroom. Prior to that, the Fed was attempting to rape Tara, and Tara turned it into her (fake) seducing him.  So she was almost violated, and then against her will has to pretend to become the sexual aggressor.  I can't imagine that either one was much of a turn on for her.  But then, after Jax blows a hole in the guy's head right in front of her, Tara and Jax make Sweet, Sweet Love in the same bed. While the guy's open-eyed, gaping-mouthed corpse bleeds all over her floor across the room. That was some serious compartmentalizing if she was up for that.  

Nope.  I just don't think she'd have been in the mood.  The show really lost me there, and if it doesn't get better I'm going to drop it for the second (and final) time.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 4

Continuing in my tradition of watching shows years after they go off the air, I'm just now starting Sons of Anarchy.  I just finished episode 10 of the 1st season and it's safe to say that I love this show!

I know how the series ends, because of all the posts on social media, but I'm still interested in seeing how it all plays out.  I just have to say that I now see why Charlie Hunnam would have been a good Christian Grey. 

P.S.  Regarding the actor who plays the Scot and his real Glasgow smile scars....I've never seen one on a person in present day. I've seen it in very old pictures, but I had no idea that it's something that is still done.  

• Love 2

Hi All:

I just started this series and only up to Episode 4 of Season 1. So far interesting enough for me to keep watching.

I still look at Wendy and think Drea from the Sopranos and when I see Gemma I think Peg Bundy.

• Love 1

I've watched three seasons of SOA and somehow over all these years I've managed not to be spoiled of the last seasons.  Hubby and I just purchased the DVD's so we did a marathon and got through the first season.  I have to agree with the poster above who mentioned Tara and Jax making "sweet love" practically over the dead body of the FED.  Just ew.  That scene fell totally flat for me.  

I like the characters mostly though.  Looking forward to finally finishing the series.  

• Love 2