Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: CoverLook

I enjoyed this episode and thought the right person was the winner.  I felt a little sorry for the winning girl - she was very self-conscious about her teeth and kept trying to cover them.  I thought it interesting that Michelle used lace on PR All-Stars and this girl used lace in her design - I thought the girl did a better job and had a prettier outfit.  The Russian boy's was pretty good, too,  He reminded me of a PR designer - not Dmitry, this guy's too serious, then I remembered - Venn! (In being serious, not necessarily in design.)  I wonder why he didn't say anything about the military theme in his white dress, or if it would have helped him if he had.

I really love Christian.

I never want to see or hear Vanessa Simmons again.

I find something to love about every single contestant on this show.

It's too bad they've screwed around with them so much on throwing in the twist challenge AND some kind of extra thing where they have to take control or give up control or dress like monsters or put food in their hair. The worst part is, they have to listen to Vanessa like EIGHT times during their time on the show so I'm pretty sure they all have PTSD.

Looks like there's only one episode left.

• Love 3

I wish they could get rid of Vanessa and that "YouTube" Sensation and get a panel of Christian, Austin and Santino. Now THAT'S a show - they would be amazing mentors. I would have included Chris March but he acted like a big baby when he got Auf'd on All Stars.

• Love 4

Holy crap, Molly's dress for the show us your style challenge was totally boobalicious! It looked very well sewn and it fit the model well. I don't think it was the plunging neckline that was the entire problem. If the gap between the boobs had been closer together, the depth of the neckline would have been fine. I hated Alex's iridescent fabric - it made the dress look so cheap. I would have been okay with just the cape being shiny but it didn't work for the dress. That sheen also makes the fabric look wrinkly. I didn't like Julia's look. I'm fine with mixing prints but there was just too much going on with that outfit. The grommets on the jacket peplum plus two prints plus the detail on the back of the top plus the top being knotted on both sides was just too much.

I loved seeing all three of the sewers and their parents checking out each other's photo boards. Hee and I loved Alex saying he had to look through Seventeen magazine to analyze it before designing his dress.

I like that Molly's mom totally has her number and knows that she has tunnel vision in the style that she designs but that she supports her choices. Molly was the most obnoxious of the three designers this week but considering how obnoxious some of the other kids have been, she was pretty mild. Who the hell glues a dress together? As soon as she said that the glue was visible, I thought dude, just cover it up! Thank goodness that her mom thought to use the chiffon over the other fabric, add a flower, and gather some more material on the back. Her mom deserves all the credit for fixing Molly's mistake and salvaging that look.

Ugh, hated the stop sign advantage. Stop doing this, show! This was the worst "advantage' yet. At least in other episodes when the winner was allowed to steal someone else's helper, there was still one person in the pair working. Having both people stop working means that each designer actually lost an hour of work. Can't you just let these kids have a whole day to design something?

Although the surprise challenge was a good change from the usual glue/paint crap on top of a muslin dress, but doing the surprise challenge plus the photoshoot was just too much for one episode. And how were they supposed to do the photoshoot if they weren't done with either of their designs yet?

I would have liked Julia's first look better if it were a dress instead of a crop top and skirt. The color combination was very youthful and fun. Although I agree that the fabric she chose for the collar looked a little crafty but I liked that it tied into the skirt color, and I liked that she thought about putting an interesting detail on the top for a closeup shot. I thought the silhouette of her second look was too similar to the first but I cut all of them a lot of slack on the second look. At least she managed to use that blue fabric to change the silhouette of the white dress. I think that without the fringe on the shoulders, it would have looked better. I didn't see any of that tie dye effect on the blue fabric though.

Molly's first look was a little too fluffy/blousey and top heavy because of the extra chiffon they added to hide the glue stains. I also appreciate that she listened to their critique and didn't show as much cleavage. I liked her second look because it looked the most like a real dress instead of a surprise door look. Hers was the only one of the three that I can say that about. She made a lot of smart choices with that second dress.

I liked Alex's first design. I wasn't crazy about the floral print but I like that he chose it to go outside of his comfort zone. The silhouette was cute and I liked the yellow at the hem and the neckline. His cover shoot was the best of the three. He worked very well with his father, listening to his suggestions and not being a brat as we've seen from some contestants in earlier episodes. When his model turned the collar the wrong way and he liked it, I thought that his flexibility and ability to stray from his original vision was a really positive attribute. I didn't like his second look though. It just looked like he stuck all the trim they were given onto the white dress. I liked that he had a military theme but it just didn't translate well.

Both Molly and Alex were so gracious about Julia winning which was so nice to see. I guess I'm just so used to the contestants on PR talk shit about everyone that it's pleasantly surprising to see these young designers are able to smile and congratulate each other and say nice things about each other. Some PR designers who are twice their age could really learn something from them.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

I want to marry Alex's dad. I loved his sense of humor and how well he supported Alex.

Alex's cover look dress was my favorite but Julia's was also adorable.

Vanessa Simmons is ruining this show for me. She is awful. What does she bring to this? She has no fashion cred, no natural hosting ability. Wooden and charmless.

This show could have been such fun. As it is I find it very anxiety inducing to watch, because I know what's coming. I would love to see them work on one look, without tacky tricks and gimmicks, and be able to really do good work. There is no entertainment value in stressing out a child. Gah, this show! Why??

• Love 1

I want to marry Alex's dad. I loved his sense of humor and how well he supported Alex.

Alex's cover look dress was my favorite but Julia's was also adorable.

Vanessa Simmons is ruining this show for me. She is awful. What does she bring to this? She has no fashion cred, no natural hosting ability. Wooden and charmless.

This show could have been such fun. As it is I find it very anxiety inducing to watch, because I know what's coming. I would love to see them work on one look, without tacky tricks and gimmicks, and be able to really do good work. There is no entertainment value in stressing out a child. Gah, this show! Why??

Every week I think, there is the kernel of a much better show in here, and hope that they will just redesign the whole thing, keeping only Christian and re-thinking the challenge to include only one completed design.  Vanessa's voice works my very last nerve to the point of hysteria, and the blogger or whatever she is also has a serious case of baby-girl talk.  I'm afraid they will probably just jettison the whole idea, but they were on the edge of something so much better, it makes me sad that it got so flubbed up in the execution.  

• Love 4

I just can't with this show...I have the last 3 recorded and watched this one last night..then I deleted the other 2 and took it off my recording list. That "hostess" is the worst and I could care less about a 12 year old blogger (she may be older but she looks 12 to me) I've said it before I do not like kids bossing parents around. Just makes me itchy. And to see parents going "Oh he/she is so smart, so talented, there so wonderful" Ugh No there not. And as if making a dress in one day isn't hard enough those idiotic "twists" just ruin it. Even the real PR doesn't make them stop sewing for that long! How stupid-Look let's watch people sit around and read magazines. Snore. As others have said there is a germ of a really good show in there. Just isn't it.

• Love 1