Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Bang, Bang

Man, this show is stupid.

That seemed like a weird opening for the show with the volunteers trying to get people to take malaria meds, all just to show that the VIRUS IS NOW ON THE LOOSE !!!

Airborne monitors picked up small pox in the air in Panama - really ?  And some agency ... cough, cough, CIA .... left vials of small pox at a former bio-weapons lab in a foreign country that is now being used as a hospital.  That is just beyond stupid even for this show.

Don't care about Madame President's political shenanigans with the frenemy senator.

Someone working for an extremely powerful private Blackwater-like military contractor bought the photos from the guard on the boat (from 5 years ago) to extort Charleston Chew and Nick.  How did Krieg even find out about what happened on the boat, let alone to approach the guard about the photos ?  Or was the guard shopping the photos around -- that wasn't really made clear ?

If small pox was detected in the air after the earthquake, why was it such a big surprise that people were exposed ?  It was floating around IN THE AIR !!  Of course anyone in the hospital would have been exposed.  Isn't everyone inoculated for small pox when they are young ?  And the retrieval team didn't take the broken vials -- you know, the ones that exposed everybody.  How did the Panamanians capture just that one guy -- where was the rest of his team ?  Does this mean that the Panamanians now have the vials of small pox ?

Charleston Chew and Nick decide to hatebang each other on the side of the road, but barely get past the heavy petting portion of the program before, unbeknownst to them, they were being tailed by a black ops unit, probably Krieg, who proceeded to bust up Charleston Chew's car and kidnap just Nick.

Charleston Chew figures out that someone in her PDB dept. is the one sending her and Nick those texts -- what is this 24 ?  You can't go 5 minutes without a mole showing up.

And it turns out it was a CIA gun registered to Nick that killed the President's son.  Oh, the humanity !!!

• Love 1

What is the point of everyone in the CIA putting their classified waste in a burn-bag if random CIA staff can just go on down to the basement and rummage through the burn-bags as much as they like?  And what about the unibrow janitorial type who works down there?  What's his security clearance level?

Special forces boots run roughshod over national sovereignty again.

Charlatan's drawers fall off with the absolute minimum of persuasion, don't they?  But congratulations to Nick for devising a cunning plan to make that happen:  "I'll stand next to this stop light and when her car comes along, I'll make the light turn red by the sheer force of my will!"

• Love 1

Maybe we should be calling her Charleston Screw now instead of Charleston Chew.

That is just beyond stupid even for this show.

There is no "too stupid for this show".  This show literally seems to have no limits on how stupid it can be.

Edited by Kromm

The adventure of the week was boring, but I find the mystery of Aaron's death to still be intriguing. I now think that Charlie used Nick's gun to kill Aaron to save herself and his mother. Aaron must have been some type of double agent. His mother is not going to believe it easily.

Like I said from the pilot, the secret texter is obviously the new guy played by that actor that I don't like. He is now swarming his way into the confidence of Charlie's friend by giving her that coin.

Must be 48 hours in s day for Charleston. She has time to work, constantly changing clothes and mess around with a different guy in every epidode.

I know people mourn the loss of a loved one different ways. Can she please keep it in her pants and be profesional for just one episode. Write a better script instead of hoping Kathryn Heigl romping around will attract viewers.

Based on Charleston's session with the psychiatrist, the show is suggesting that her hypersexuality, partying, late nights, etc. are her way of coping with what really happened when Aaron was killed. I have no problem with this, except the show has not done a good job weaving this throughout the subsequent episodes. It would help if they have her meet with the psychiatrist on screen more frequently.

Edited by SimoneS

Well, thanks ottoDbusdriver,  you already said everything I was going to say about this episode. Except, I must add:

I guess I have a problem with Charleston getting all mad at Nick for putting his hand on her leg and pulling her "my fiance was killed" face when she's screwing every other guy in the room.

But getting ready for sex on the side of some main road through DC? Please. Even high school kids know to find a dark parking lot somewhere.

Can't figure out what happened to the other Army guys on the vial-retrieval detail. Just the main guy got caught?

Edited by saber5055

Can't figure out what happened to the other Army guys on the vial-retrieval detail. Just the main guy got caught?

Charlotte whispers to the Prez:  "The mission was a success.  The vials are contained and secured.  Jack Dawkins went back in....." so presumably the rest of the team RTB with the virus as planned.

Thanks Netfoot. You obviously pay more attention to this show than I do. Heh. But why did Jack go back? Other than to get captured so there will be something to do next week. Not that it matters.

Edited by saber5055

But why did Jack go back? Other than to get captured so there will be something to do next week. Not that it matters.

Seems to me we are talking about a globally powerful agency that sees it as their responsibility to do whatever they want, any time, anywhere in the world.  And it is populated to a man (or woman, as the case may be) with people who never follow orders.  I'll sure sleep soundly in my bed as a result!

I like this show and can overlook dumb rescues because I'm not interested in that part of the show. But there are little things that bug me. First episode, they showed the procedure for getting rid of confidential material and I thought why on earth are they not shredding them first. Because if they had, we wouldn't get last night's scene with Charlie suspecting her team. Which I think the person behind it was smart enough to know to dump the phone and try to lead suspicion elsewhere.  I don't think Lucas or the others are behind it. The hours these people are working are insane. They come in at 2am and even though a mission was complete(at that point) Lucas gets "you're leaving already?" when he tries to leave around dinner time?! I don't understand why any of them would need to put in 18 hour days physically in the office as briefers. 

The show is entertaining enough for me to stick to it. I think the acting is better than on Scandal (other DC show I watch) but that's probably not saying much. 

• Love 1

What is the point of everyone in the CIA putting their classified waste in a burn-bag if random CIA staff can just go on down to the basement and rummage through the burn-bags as much as they like?  And what about the unibrow janitorial type who works down there?  What's his security clearance level?

I know, right? There were bins and bins of classified waste down there. Does it just sit around? Sort of, "out of sight, out of mind" once it goes down the laundry chute to the basement? And a janitor sweeps around the bins, yada yada, no big deal. I had imagined that chute went straight to a working incinerator. Shows what I know about national security.

I don't understand why any of them would need to put in 18 hour days physically in the office as briefers.

Except that Charleston treats them to tin-foil catered-in dinners!

Edited by saber5055

But getting ready for sex on the side of some main road through DC?

In a Mustang, no less.  Quite the vehicle for doing the horizontal Mambo.

Wouldn't it have been a lot simpler for the Ambassador to Panama to make contact with the appropriate people in country, and say something like, "A previous administration established a bio-weapons lab in your country with your government's permission, and now there's a problem with it.  We need to innoculate some people who were possibly exposed.  Don't say anything to anyone and we'll get it done.  A suitable contribution to the treasury account of your choice should ensure this, right?  Thank you for your cooperation".

Just a note on the near-collision at the beginning of the episode.  She had the right of way; the taxi, even though he gave her the finger, was wrong.  If you stop action at the scene, it shows a red light on his side.  Tough luck, dude.

Wouldn't it have been a lot simpler for the Ambassador to Panama to make contact with the appropriate people in country, and say something like, "A previous administration established a bio-weapons lab in your country with your government's permission, and now there's a problem with it.  We need to innoculate some people who were possibly exposed.  Don't say anything to anyone and we'll get it done.  A suitable contribution to the treasury account of your choice should ensure this, right?  Thank you for your cooperation".

My thoughts exactly, although I figured I had missed something else "important" that prevented them from taking this easy road. All sorts of behind-the-scenes things happen with governments. I'd think this solution is preferable to some epidemic, regardless of who/what caused it.

What is the point of everyone in the CIA putting their classified waste in a burn-bag if random CIA staff can just go on down to the basement and rummage through the burn-bags as much as they like?

This. A million times this. Like saber5055, I thought the other end of the shoot was an incinerator. Makes absolutely no sense. 

I agree with others-- I doubt one of the team is a part of the threats against Charlie.

Charlemagne reared her head again. She gives a green light for a black-op in Panama? Seriously? Shouldn't like, the CIA head do something like that? What exactly is Charlie's rank besides head of the briefers? Still don't get it and I don't think they've ever explained it properly. 

James Remar continues to be a bright spot even in the little that he's there. 

they were being tailed by a black ops unit, probably Krieg, who proceeded to bust up Charleston Chew's car and kidnap just Nick.

I think Nick was snatched by the government because according to Frenemy Senator, now he's a suspect .

In a Mustang, no less.  Quite the vehicle for doing the horizontal Mambo.

Wouldn't it have been a lot simpler for the Ambassador to Panama to make contact with the appropriate people in country, and say something like, "A previous administration established a bio-weapons lab in your country with your government's permission, and now there's a problem with it.  We need to innoculate some people who were possibly exposed.  Don't say anything to anyone and we'll get it done.  A suitable contribution to the treasury account of your choice should ensure this, right?  Thank you for your cooperation".

Just a note on the near-collision at the beginning of the episode.  She had the right of way; the taxi, even though he gave her the finger, was wrong.  If you stop action at the scene, it shows a red light on his side.  Tough luck, dude.

Did we really learn it was with the government's permission?  I have trouble retaining stuff like that with this show, since there's so much nonsense to wade through.

Although I don't see that making much of a difference, if we actually apply real world politics.  Are we forgetting the fact that the US INVADED their country?  A lot of Panamanians, for good or ill, a few generations on still don't like us.  Even Noriega's successor, who some might cast as being grateful we took the Dictator out, staged a hunger strike and blamed the US for the massive destruction to the country's infrastructure.

Also, apparently there was a huge lawsuit uniting all of Panama's corporations suing the US government for how the invasion screwed up their operations (no idea if they won or lost--this is one I didn't recall myself until looking up the invasion a second ago).  

The point is that the Panamanians loathe us.  Saying a former government authorized something would just be a middle finger to them (then again, invading their country again, even just with a strike force of course is even worse--so the actual solution isn't what they did either).

Some variation of "Noriega did it and we collected it during the invasion" might have worked, although of course they you'd have to explain why the stuff was still there in that facility this many years later (and then those test tubes damn well better have had labels in Spanish on them).

Edited by Kromm

Did we really learn it was with the government's permission?

That wasn't specified, but I used it as a metaphor for a bluff that our government could use with the Panamanians.  Faced with the possibility of an epidemic and having to convince the public that they really didn't have anything to do with it, the Panamanian gov't might cave and allow the vaccinations. It sure beats sending in a black ops team for every pick up and delivery, which seems to be the norm for tv dramas now.

Isn't it obvious that Nick killed Aaron? I mean he had the hots for Charlie maybe way before she became engaged, when the convoy attack happened he just couldn't pass the opportunity to kill his rival for Charlie's love.

But then again he wouldn't be so stupid to use his own gun, wouldn't he know he'll be autopsied? and why the autopsy results were known until now?

I have no problem with Charlie going and sleeping with people when she wants; it's been a year, and even if it hadn't been, I wouldn't care. I have a problem with the fact that her actions are because she can't remember what happened with Aaron. If whatever she is suppressing (I think it's killing Aaron because the guy she was trying to turn, turned Aaron) is effecting how she acts, then why has no one said anything? The president didn't have people on her to keep her safe? Her boss didn't notice? even though one of Charlie's underlings basically congratulated her on not being hung over? James Remar hasn't said anything as far as I remember, and he didn't have anyone keeping an eye on Charlie? They want us to believe it's a big bad secret, but no one has picked up on the changes with Charlie?

I can handle the stupid plots, at this point, I'm just waiting for the President to send someone to the shrink's place to get Charlie's file.

I have no problem with Charlie going and sleeping with people when she wants; it's been a year, and even if it hadn't been, I wouldn't care.

Hey, nothing wrong with a good shag, but cruising for tail in the city's Meet Markets?  Humping like a buffalo in parking lots and back alleys?  She works for the CIA, fergohsake!  Isn't such behaviour frowned on due to potential extortion risks?  Nice tabloid photo that would make: Presidential briefer and personal confidante snapped with her legs in the air in a station waggon, in downtown DC.

I complete agree that she isn't keeping a low profile, and that's really my complaint about the storyline- that no one in her world knows that her behavior has shifted so drastically. I think that's inconceivable considering who her family/friends are, especially with their connections. As for her hooking up, I have no problem with her doing so, I just find it hard to believe that with her level of training and almost being the president's daughter-in-law that she wouldn't try harder to hide her trysts.