Type keyword(s) to search

Scott McCall: The Alpha

Scott's main characteristic is being a nice guy.  To borrow a TvTropes phrase, he's the "heart" of the group as well as the leader.  Without him, most of these people either wouldn't know each other or would be dead.  And I suppose at this point he's the pack's best fighter by virtue of being an Alpha werewolf.  I'm still hoping that Scott goes full werewolf this season like Peter did, losing control be damned.

(edited)

I would love for him to go full werewolf, but maybe it's too soon? I still want to see him struggle with his current Alpha form. Maybe they can mesh the two. He struggles, and comes to realise that going full werewolf is a release that helps him control his whole Alpha state. So he has to learn that it's not about trying to control his form, rather he should just allow himself to be. Malia could even help him. What happened to her is kinda the opposite to what happened to Scott. She could help him learn to fully shape shift.

Edited by greenbean
(edited)

But then, Scott's still a pretty shallow character.

I don't think Scott's any more shallow than the other characters on the show. We've gotten some of his backstory. I feel like I know who he is, where he stands, and what he'll usually do in a given situation. And he's changed and grown from the start of the show.

Now, whether or not a viewer finds him as interesting as other characters is another story.

Edited by Bitterswete
  • Love 2
(edited)

When Scott wakes up in the woods, and struggles with his form, is there a name for that? It isn't bloodlust is it? I thought that was only for vampires.

I don't know what it's called but it's very common in werewolf media to have the person struggle with controlling the wolf within and the resulting homicidal tendencies.  In many cases, that's what being a werewolf ultimately stands for: finding the right balance between your civilized self and your hedonistic side.  The struggle between civilization and nature, red in tooth and claw.  

Has Jeff Davis explained why Scott doesn't ask questions about the supernatural?  He works with Deaton all the time, he knows Deaton has experience in the supernatural but he has no clue about what else is out there.  He didn't even know that Deaton was a former Druid until Season 3 even though he's been presumably working at the vet all summer between Season 2 and 3.  How can someone be that dumb?

Edited by lion10
How can someone be that dumb?

I figure Scott's not bright anyway.  He's getting smarter, but it's a good thing he's surrounded by people who are either clever (Stiles, Lydia), knowledgeable about the supernatural (Deaton, Derek, Chris Argent), or just all-around awesome (Melissa, Sheriff, Allison, Kira).  There's usually someone around who can nudge him in the right direction, and someday he'll figure out that he can ask questions on his own.  And then he'll be the True Alpha.  Or not.

(edited)

Has Jeff Davis explained why Scott doesn't ask questions about the supernatural?  He works with Deaton all the time, he knows Deaton has experience in the supernatural but he has no clue about what else is out there.  He didn't even know that Deaton was a former Druid until Season 3 even though he's been presumably working at the vet all summer between Season 2 and 3.  How can someone be that dumb?

It's actually not unusual for leads on these types of shows not to ask questions, especially if they weren't interested in the supernatural (or whatever type of weirdness they're dealing with) until they actually got mixed up in it. Buffy didn't go out of her way to learn about the supernatural, or the kinds of things she could end up facing. Only when something supernatural was actually happening did she show an interest. And, even then, the interest was more "I have to ask Giles what's going on and how to stop it" than her just wanting to learn more in general.

Like many lead characters, Scott seems to want to focus on trying to deal with day-to-day life (and being a werewolf), and only cares about specific, supernatural things when they are an actual threat he and the gang will have to deal with. 

Edited by Bitterswete

His behavior is consistent with other shows but it still doesn't make sense. It's frankly not realistic for someone to suddenly find out the supernatural is real and not give a damn. Where's the wonder or the curiosity, especially for someone like Stiles? And with supernatural shows, I think it's more important to have people react as realistically as possible to events in their life. Otherwise the disconnect becomes too great. Being Human was really good at doing this.

Even when it would make sense for Scott to ask questions, he doesn't. When finds out Malia is a werecoyote, he doesn't ask how that's possible or how many werespecies there are even though that would be an obvious question with an answer that could really expand the mythology of the show. Scott hasn't even asked if other pop culture monsters are real or not.

I LOVE Teen Wolf but Scott's lack of interest in the supernatural is just bad writing.

(edited)
Where's the wonder or the curiosity, especially for someone like Stiles?

FWIW, when he found out about the Alpha pack, Stiles asked, "How is that even possible?"   So at least he was recognizing that there was something of an oxymoron there.  I think there's also a line where he sarcastically wonders what else is real, but I can't remember the exact quote.  It left me with the impression that even though they now knew werewolves were real, there was no reason to also assume everything else supernatural was real. And I think that's actually more realistic than if they suddenly believed in vampires and tulpas just because they knew there were werewolves and kanimas.   I think they might have believed in more things if they'd spent more time looking through Gerard's bestiary/journal, but they didn't have a chance to.  

Of course, I would expect them to eventually wonder how a werewolf and a human can create a werecoyote child.  I'm guessing they'll find that out, though, since Malia's going to be around for a while.

Hell, smart girl Lydia hasn't exactly been inquisitive about her powers. So it's not even that unusual for the show.

True.  But I feel like in her case it's because, until recently, she didn't realize it was actually "powers" and has just been hoping she wasn't going crazy.

I agree it's best to show the characters behaving realistically in these situations, but in fairness to Scott and the others, time within the show isn't going at the same pace it is for the viewer.  The entire first two seasons cover only about four months total.  The third season is what - another six months max, if you include the fact that the third season opens with an acknowledgement that two months has passed since the end of S2.  So more like 3 months of the school year that S3 covers.

So Scott's had less than a year to adjust to being a werewolf - and those first couple of months weren't easy for him.  His (natural, I think) first reaction is to try to hide his situation, and to learn to control it.  And he's doing this while experiencing all the usual teenaged stuff like falling in love, dealing with school, and more recently coping with his absentee father returning to his life.  And that's all on top of trying to figure out what's going on with the things he KNOWS are supernatural, like the Alpha pack and the Darach and the Nogitsune, as he learns of them.  There hasn't really been time for him (or for Stiles, who's spent almost half that time fighting the creature sharing his body and trying to keep his father safe and briefly wondering if he was going to die of a brain illness) to wonder how many other supernatural creatures may actually exist.

I agree that the two months of summer vacation may have been a good chance for Scott to learn more about other supernatural stuff, but I figure he was busy learning how to control his own relatively-new supernaturalness as a werewolf.  He may or may not have asked Deaton questions during that summer vacation - questions Deaton no doubt answered rather cryptically if at all.  Scott would have been unlikely to ask Chris Argent anything.  And I think they mention at the start of S3 that he and Stiles haven't seen Derek during the summer.  With what Scott's been dealing with (and with what Stiles went through at Gerard's hands), I don't find it hard to believe that there was no space left in his consciousness to ask theoretical questions about what other creatures might exist.

Also, he was busy with Allison that summer.  And no matter what else is going on in his world, he was a sixteen year old boy who'd only been having sex for a few months.  So there wouldn't have been a lot of blood making its way to the big head.

Edited by ElleryAnne
(edited)

So I wanted to add my perspective to all the "Scott is a terrible Alpha!" reactions to the latest episode. 

First, I'll say that Scott as a true Alpha is very different in nature to any other Alphas we've seen. Scott has still never killed anyone, certainly not to take their power, and he'd never given anyone the bite and made them his betas. Yet Scott has still risen as an Alpha who has built up a very loyal pack (of Stiles, Allison, Lydia, etc) who all followed him willingly without needing to be bitten and claimed. Scott didn't treat them as inferiors who he had to ROAR into submission. They were his friends and equals.

The few times we have seen Scott do the Alpha ROAR I don't think it has been about dominance. The time Scott roared down the twins for example, was not a tactical Alpha move. Scott was just instinctively protecting Stiles, something he would've done as a beta too. So if Scott's Alpha roar comes from an instinctive place then I think it's perfectly understandable that he hasn't used the roar to suppress Liam. Scott doesn't want to control and dominate Liam, he wants to apologize and show him sympathy. Biting Liam was a last resort and the typical Alpha/beta dynamic is clearly something Scott never wanted.

I think in this sense Scott is still being a good true Alpha because as a true Alpha Scott shouldn't need to create betas to make his pack but stick to drawing his own willing pack of followers. Scott biting Liam was a failing (though it was the only way to save his life) and Scott panicked and couldn't act as a good Alpha to Liam because Scott never wanted to be an Alpha this way. Scott clearly has too much empathy for Liam's struggle, which is taking him back to when he was first bitten. By the end of the episode Scott is approaching Liam gently as a friend which is better than just roaring at the kid until he curls into a terrified ball.            

Edited by Yitzhak
(edited)
Scott doesn't want to control and dominate Liam, he wants to apologize and show him sympathy

If that was true, he wouldn't have tied him up in a bathtub, then a chair and then in a boat house while making out with his girlfriend.

If he wanted to apologise and show him sympathy, he maybe should have spent less time physically intimidating a younger teen werewolf, stalking him and basically manipulating him into situations with deception.

I don't know what Scott being a True Alpha is about since the show and by extension Scott has never asked Deaton or Peter or Derek or Chris, or Mexican Hunter leader what being a True Alpha is about. His girlfriend at one point was a hunter with access to a bestiary and he never bothered to ask to see it or to see if there was anything to look out for.

If being a True Alpha means Scott is a natural leader, maybe he should be more interested in researching supernatural things before they try and kill him and his friends. Lydia has been a banshee for about 4 months show time and she's getting the clue to look into things before they try and kill her. Scott meanwhile is constantly out of depth with every single supernatural encounter even though his boss is a druid and he has access to both older werewolves and older hunters. He could at least be learning physical combat skills from Derek or something to show he's making an effort.

If being a True Alpha means Scott is stronger in certain more obscure ways than the average werewolf, the show should make some effort to explore that. It's been 4 seasons and 7 mass murdering antagonists now and 1 year of being a werewolf and Scott seems to only mastered werewolf control during the full moon, that thing he learned in season one. Scott has not progressed in any meaningful way in the show year other than switching girlfriends. In fact he appears to be getting weaker physically and still employs terrible strategies he knows didn't work on him.

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 4

I think Deaton described the True Alpha thing as one who rises not by forcibly taking power from another but rises through strength of character. Which I do think can be applied to Scott and it doesn't have to mean that Scott isn't still a 17 year old kid who panics and makes mistakes. Scott was never intimidating Liam out of malice. Like I've said, Scott is struggling with having bitten Liam because it's not in Scott's nature to make someone his beta. It's been clear that Scott would only bite someone as a last resort to save their life, a possibility he considered with Stiles when he was possessed and even then Scott was reluctant to turn Stiles without giving him a choice. So yeah, I think Scott was panicking and ashamed of what he did to Liam. All the kidnapping and manipulation was terrible but Scott couldn't leave Liam free to go on a full moon rampage either, unless he wanted to feel responsible for any people Liam attacked. Scott didn't try to deal with Liam alone and he trusted in his pack to help him which ultimately paid off. Messy as it was, they got Liam through his first full moon without Liam or anyone else getting seriously hurt.     

I think when first dealing with Liam, he reverted to what he knew. Which was how Derek treated him. But the conversation where Chris encouraged him to deal with Liam in his own way, was meant to continue the True Alpha theme of him not using force. I didn't expect him to roar, but he could have at least looked a little physically stronger.

I find Scott's reasoning to be problematic.

If Scott didn't want to use force to subdue Liam then he wouldn't have dragged him off to his house and duct taped him presumably against his will, then tried to tackle him after he escaped; from Liam's POV Scott is crazy and violent already. I don't really buy that Scott wouldn't use physical violence to subdue a rogue omega beta wolf or whatever Liam was at the time when he was more than happy to use werewolf power to essentially cheat to ensure his position on a lacrosse team .

I don't think Scott feels particularly responsible for all the people Jackson killed after he ran loose from his captivity in season 2. At least it hasn't been mentioned how Scott feels about Jackson going on a murdering spree because he didn't want to pull the trigger.

My biggest problem with Scott is not that he makes mistakes. I like protagonists who makes mistakes, it makes them realistic. My issue is in season 3 A he was shown to be working out, reading up on stuff and then it was completely dropped and we're supposed to buy him as a bumbling teen dealing with werewolfness the same way as a in show year ago.

There is a major difference between the start of the show where Scott had an excuse to be an idiot about supernatural stuff, back then he only had Stiles and wikipedia, which Stiles had to research because Scott was too busy eyebanging the new girl and thinking about lacrosse to do it himself. A year later he has an entire support network that has experience dealing with werewolves that could have helped him with a rogue beta. The teens were useless; Stiles was busy dealing with Malia and her issues which was valid sort of; Lydia Banshee, noone really knows what her powers are and Kira was distracting him the entire time.

He could have called Deaton, the druid who has experience consulting with a werewolf pack and probably had some way of containing a werewolf other than with chains. He could have called Peter and Derek as older stronger werewolves to demonstrate werewolfiness instead of overloading Liam with the role call of random supernaturals now. He could have got his mother to help him with sedatives or as a calming influence to the situation . He could have borrowed some supplies from Chris. He could have possible called up mercernary woman for tips on subduing a violent werecreature, or Mexican headhunter or even Gerard. Or he could have simply utilised his werewolf roar to try and subdue Liam or simply turned into a werewolf or the lazy man version of it.

I could overlook him panicking after he bit Liam which still seems like a stupid way to help someone, Liam could have lost grip while Scott was biting him since that would have been painful. Everything else after Liam left the house gave Scott plenty of time to explore other less stupid options. The biggest issue I have with Scott is that he is Contrivance Central, he's not allowed to be strong because that would make things too easy , he's not allowed to be smart or he wouldn't need to call Stiles or Lydia for intellectual backup. Instead of being the leader, he's more the idiot that needs to be protected from the consequences of his actions and he's never called on it.

Being stupid is a character weakness, the fact he has friends that he dragged into his supernatural mess doesn't mean he's a natural leader because he seldom actually leads. He's more of a screw up with a social network. His moral stance on not murdering people is all well and good but he associates with people who do kill people and he doesn't seem to care that much. They never addressed for instance that Scott wanted to kill Peter himself to try and free himself of the werewolf curse or that now that Peter is alive again he could try again. Peter is a mass murderer after all. There is a major middle ground between letting murderers like Deucalion, Jackson, Darach , Peter and Gerard, wander around without consequence and murdering them. For instance incarceration, or maybe he could ask Deaton about how the previous alpha of beacon hills mind wiped people. That would be a fascinating variation on the "I won't kill people so I can remain morally superior to the antagonists but I have friends who will kill for me so that's convenient".

Ugh I find the character of Scott tedious, another idiot chosen one where plot happens to him instead of him showing any personal drive/ability at all, except for the finales where he gets to be competent briefly sort of.

• Love 4

I wish that instead of having him drag Liam anyway, I think it would have made more sense if Scott panicked after biting him and left. Then the scene with him telling Stiles would have been afterwards and their next scene would have been in the school, but oh well.

I like Scott as a character because he isn't perfect. And my take on the whole "alpha" thing is that he is really only an alpha because his friends see him as the leader, but as far as strength he is still mostly the same as he was when he was a beta because he hasn't killed an Alpha.

I don't think Scott feels particularly responsible for all the people Jackson killed after he ran loose from his captivity in season 2. At least it hasn't been mentioned how Scott feels about Jackson going on a murdering spree because he didn't want to pull the trigger.

He obviously didn't feel like Declan, I'm sorry...the DEMON WOLF should pay for his crimes.  Declan gets his sight back and Scott just lets him off with a (hollow) warning.

• Love 1

I think Season 2 Scott was my favourite Scott - not as dumb and self-centered as in Season 1 and they portrayed his naivete and bumbling as endearing and tongue in cheek while also letting him be competent. Season 3 went overboard with the special snowflakiness IMO. This True Alpha business just annoyed me, especially since they just kept on saying how "rare" it was and kept talking about "strength of character", "special" blahblahblah. Why could it not be just a normal possibility for alphas to become that for, you know, logical reasons, like being the leader of the group etc.? It would still have been cool for Scott to be that, without yammering on and on about how special and rare that was and how amazing and awesome that made Scott. 

And if they wanted to keep Scott less-than-powerful, which makes sense from a narrative point of view, why not just keep him as a omega/beta or whatever, leading his team of equally important supernatural/human folks? That would have been more interesting IMO.

• Love 2
I wish that instead of having him drag Liam anyway, I think it would have made more sense if Scott panicked after biting him and left. Then the scene with him telling Stiles would have been afterwards and their next scene would have been in the school, but oh well.

I don't think it's really in Scott's nature to leave someone behind after they've almost been eaten. They've been trying to impart on Malia that you don't leave injured members of your pack behind. My headcanon is that Scott tried to talk to Liam, who then freaked out and wouldn't go with Scott, so he kidnapped him. 

(edited)
I don't think it's really in Scott's nature to leave someone behind after they've almost been eaten. They've been trying to impart on Malia that you don't leave injured members of your pack behind. My headcanon is that Scott tried to talk to Liam, who then freaked out and wouldn't go with Scott, so he kidnapped him.

As far as I can remember the wendigo didn't actually eat him at all, he was using Liam like a hostage/human shield I think, the wendigo's motivations in the last scene were very unclear. Scott was the one that bit Liam presumably consuming at least a little flesh and blood from Liam. Scott came closer to eating Liam than Sean did.

If Scott was really a good leader/ person he would have taken Liam downstairs to his mother for treatment for shock/ bite and he could have blamed the injury on the crazy cannibal if he wanted if anyone asked. They were on top of a hospital, it's not like it would have been a very long walk for Liam to make to get to medical treatment for his bite/shock and the bad guy was dead so it's not like leaving Liam would have resulted in his death or further injury.

Scott leaving would have probably been the least traumatic option for Liam.  Liam had already been dragged around by a cannibal for leverage with a sore ankle? then bitten by some random guy who injured him an hour ago in a lacrosse practise. Scott dragging him off then duct taping him and leaving him in a bath tub for presumably hours was definitely the worst option for Liam. If Scott was half as empathetic as this show claimed he was, he would have realised that dragging a freshly bitten werewolf home was a bad idea because it would increase the trauma the freshmen had to go through. 

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 1
(edited)

If Scott was half as empathetic as this show claimed he was, he would have realised that dragging a freshly bitten werewolf home was a bad idea because it would increase the trauma the freshmen had to go through.

It's fully acknowledged in the script that Scott thought it was a really bad idea. Stiles told Scott his actions sucked and Scott agreed, admitting that he panicked and made things worse. Scott spent the rest of the episode struggling to improve on his initial bad idea. And IMO Scott found the right approach by the episode's end.

I'm just saying that I think it was appropriate for Scott to freak out and screw up in this context. If Scott had been calm and controlled about biting Liam, it would have gone against the Scott who was appalled by Derek biting and turning vulnerable teenagers in S2. Scott always felt that it was morally wrong to give someone else the bite, especially without even giving them a choice. And Scott feeling that way about the bite is a big tick in his plus column for me, even if it means when he impulsively used the bite to save Liam's life his first response is to go into panic mode and make very poor decisions. It just shows how different Scott is from the typical "the bite is a gift" type alphas.         

Edited by Yitzhak
  • Love 1

Yeah, it's not like his actions were portrayed as being right. The whole episode arch for Scott was him coming to terms with what he did, and learning how to deal with it in his own way. Kidnapping Liam, and reverting back to what Derek did to him, were all acknowledged as mistakes.

As stupid as kidnapping Liam was, an argument could be made that leaving a freaked out kid alone on the roof with a dead body to tell any cops who show up that "Scott McCall turned into a monster and bit me" would have been just as bad. Scott's plan was to protect himself as well as not leave Liam alone to figure out werewolf crap without an alpha like Scott had to.

One thing I really liked about Scott's screwed up kidnapping plot was the line "what happened to you, what I did to you, what I had to do in order to save you." He phrases it like just happened, but then immediately rephrases it and takes on the responsibility, while still making it clear that turning him into a werewolf wasn't something he wanted to happen. The show is pretty consistent in Scott owning up to his failures and trying to correct them, which he did throughout the episode.

• Love 1

It was a difficult situation, that had no easy answer. If Scott had left Liam there, I'm sure people would have complained about Scott abandoning him. The same was said after Malia was in the hospital. That Scott had dumped her there. Never mind that this was likely the decision of Malia's father and Scott is a teen who has no authority in her life. Leaving Liam there, or kidnapping him, both have arguments for and against. In the end, it was a comedic scene so w/e. lol

(edited)
It was a difficult situation, that had no easy answer.

With all due respect, the simplest answer would have been for Scott to take the injured in shock Liam downstairs to get treated by his mother, call up his druid boss and find a nice way to sedate Liam until after the full moon and then he'd have cleaned up his mess and would have plenty of time to induct the new werewolf to werewolfiness. Instead we got an episode devoted to Scott copying all the bad habits of Derek and Peter, a crappy vague intro to werewolfiness and an involuntary bite. Then there was all the stupidity of Scott being overpowered by a freshly turned werewolf without any logic to be had on that front.

Hell he could have simply smacked Wendigo in the face or thrown him off the roof and the whole Liam situation would never have been an issue.

Scott was pissy about Derek turning people with their consent and in one case extreme interest. The fact that all of those conversions went technically south was more writing decision/ actors bailing than about Derek.

As for Scott's dealing with Malia, obviously he couldn't have rehabilitated her in the 5 minutes between forcibly stripping her of her coyote status and dumping her off at her dad. Especially since 2 months later Stiles is having issues with integrating Malia into society. The lack of follow up on Scott's part made him look like a terribly stupid person though.

Good intentions are nice but incompetent follow through negates the wishful thinking that everything will just work out. He lost a previous girlfriend to supernatural shenanigans, you'd think he'd be more concerned about collateral damage.

Seriously they could have Liam turned after being seriously injured by the Wendigo, the Wendigo pushing at Scott made no sense.

Despite my dislike of Scott lately, I don't actually hate the character even though it probably sounds like it. I actually enjoyed the Kira and Scott courting ritual. However now that Scott and Kira are alternately weird/ stilted and cutesy flirty in odd situations. I'm less amused.

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 1

With all due respect, the simplest answer would have been for Scott to take the injured in shock Liam downstairs to get treated by his mother, call up his druid boss and find a nice way to sedate Liam until after the full moon and then he'd have cleaned up his mess and would have plenty of time to induct the new werewolf to werewolfiness.

That scenario is based on a lot of presumptions, that Liam would cooperate for one. I don't know why you think he'd agree to be sedated.

Well we have to presume a lot of things about how Scott managed to drag Liam back to his lair presumably through the hospital anyway. Unless Scott jumped off the roof with him it would have been on his way. I didn't say that Scott should ask Liam whether he wanted to be sedated. I was thinking more along the lines of Melissa saying that she would give him valium to calm him down after his trauma and then dosing him with a high grade sedative afterwards until they could A) think of a better long term plan B) call for back up . Or he could have picked up some animal tranquilisers from his work. 

From the current scenario, Scott dragged him home through the hospital somehow, then decided to duct tape him and after figuring out no better option called Stiles for help after he'd had him as his personal prisoner for some unspecified period of time.

The fact that Liam hasn't ripped into Scott about tying him up repeatedly is typical of this show where no one's motivations make any sense from episode to episode. That and noone seems to really react in any particularly realistic way to anything.

If someone had tied me up for hours "for my own good" repeatedly with no explanation I'd be calling the cops or out for a little payback of my own, especially if I had new super powers. I wonder if Scott will ever mention to Liam that there's a possibility that if Liam kills him he can possibly cure his werewolf status. Probably not. It's like expecting Scott to remember the mass murderers he lets wander around unsupervised. 

• Love 1

Well I don't think that drugging a teen is any better than kidnapping him, and I'm certain people would still be complaining about that. At least Scott took on the responsibility of doing something himself instead of dragging his mother into highly questionable situation as you're suggesting he should have.

He dragged all his other friends into his nonsense so they could do a supernatural role call. If I was his mother I'd probably want to know if he was turning other teenagers into werewolves. 

Anyway I feel like I'm beating a dead horse with this conversation so moving on...

Anyone else laugh when Scott said "he'd save everyone?" It's like he didn't realise that an entire pack of werewolves got killed this episode along with a banshee. These people really need to start communicating better with each other. 

Scott needs to play hardball a little more often.  With Liam, Scott got lucky.  Liam could have easily attacked or killed someone and it would've been Scott's fault for having the knowledge and method to calm (and not hurt) Liam and failing to act on it.

And with the blonde guy assassin, Scott shouldn't have been so easily cowed by him.  Why didn't he threaten him or something?  The guy's a human and Scott's an Alpha werewolf...

And with the blonde guy assassin, Scott shouldn't have been so easily cowed by him.  Why didn't he threaten him or something?  The guy's a human and Scott's an Alpha werewolf...

Because he was the only one with Liam's location. Scott had more to lose in the situation than Garrett did, and Garrett knew it. Every threat would have been empty.

Garrett could have lost his life and his girlfriend forever. He lost both anyway and Scott managed to find Liam anyway because LIAM who isn't trained and knows nothing about being a teen wolf howled.

Scott could have knocked the weapons out of Garretts hands and handed him over to the Sherrif for a real interrogation and found out WTH was up with the teen assassins while calling on his pack to find his missing pack member but that would require Scott to remember he had friends this episode.

Scott has his hands tied behind his back all the time because of the writing, he's seldom allowed to be competent or remember the things he should have learned about being an Alpha by now.