Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Tenth the Ramones album "Halfway to Sanity" (1987). Kinda mid, kinda good album. Damn, they have a lot of albums, somehow in my mind I thought they were active for a pretty short time, but I guess I mistook them for the Doors...

Edited by Rushmoras

Eleventh the Ramones album "Brain Drain" (1989). Solid one, way above average. And, hey, look, I have heard another of their song long ago - Pet Semetary.

• LOL 2

I'm listening to The Descendants soundtrack (George Clooney's movie) in my car as I have to share the highways with so many self-absorbed drivers. This Hawaiian music is so soothing (not Don Ho music!!)...and brings back memories of that very interesting film. Just bought it at Amazon for 5.00.

• Applause 2

Strong Bones - The Lizard Kings. Stop a moment, imagine what that sounds like. Then check out the video. Yeah, I wasn't expecting a sort of calypso/reggae track either, especially since it was linked in the sidebar of a metal vid.

• Fire 1
20 hours ago, Jaded said:

You must be a fan too know that song.  I can’t recall if that was off The Ever Tortured Artist album but love this one.  The last track off it

• Like 2

Penultimate album from The Ramones "Acid Eaters" (1994). It wasn't bad at all, but in terms of standing out songs, it maybe the album that has the least of them...

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I think I'm going to try to make time to watch Highlander again sometime soon. Someone posted a picture of the building that had the Silvercup sign atop it IRL which of course made me think of the movie.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

Final The Ramones album called "Adios Amigos" (1995). Another almost 10 out of 10 album for me, if not for that one song.

As always, subjective assessments of each albums:

1. The Ramones (1976) - 5.7/10 [Best songs: Beat on the Brat; I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend; Havana Affair;I Don’t Wanna Walk Around with You; Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World]

2. Leave Home (1977) - 8.6/10 [Best songs: I Remember You; Oh, Oh, I Love Her So; Carbona Not Glue; Suzy is a Headbanger; Now I Wanna Be a Goodboy; Swallow My Pride; What’s Your Game; Commando; You Should Have Never Opened That Door]

3. Rocket to Russia (1977) - 5.7/10 [Best songs: Locket Love; I Don’t Care; We’re Happy Family; I Wanna Be Well; I Can’t Give You Anything; Ramona]

4. Road to Ruin (1978) - 9.2/10 [Best songs: I Just Wanna Have Something to Do; I Wanted Everything; I Don’t Want You; Needles and Pins; I Wanna Be Sedated; She’s The One]

5. End of the Century (1980) - 6.3/10 [Best songs: Chinese Rock; The Return of Jackie and Judy; Let’s Go; Baby, I Love You; I Want Your Around; Danny Says – Demo; I’m Affected – Demo; Please Don’t Leave – Demo]

6. Pleasant Dreams (1981) - 8.9/10 [Best songs: We Want the Airwaves; The KKK Took My Baby Away; Don’t Go; 7-11; Come On Now; Touring; I Can’t Get You Out of My Mind; Chop Suey – Alternative Version; Kiss to Try; Stares in this Town]

7. Subterranean Jungle (1983) - 7.4/10 [Best songs: I Need Your Love; What Ya’d Do?; Highest Trails Above; Time Has Come Today; In the Park; Indian Giver; No One To Blame – Demo; Roots of Hatred – Demo; My Kind of Girl (Acoustic) - Demo]

8. Too Tough to Die (1984) - 6.4/10 [Best songs: Mamma’s Boy; I’m Not Afraid of Life; Chasing the Night; Daytime Dilemma (Dangers of Love); Planet Earth 1988; Smash You; Planet Earth 1988 – Demo; Daytime Dilemma (Dangers of Love) – Demo; Danger Zone – Dee Dee Vocal Version; Out of Here; Mama’s Boy – Demo; I’m Not An Answer – Demo; Too Tough To Die – Dee Dee Vocal Version]

9. Animal Boy (1986) - 8.3/10 [Best songs: Somebody Put Something in My Drink; Apeman Hop; She Belongs to Me; Crummy Stuff; Bonzo Goes to Bitburg; Mental Hell; Freak of Nature; Hair of the Dog; Something to Believe In

10. Halfway to Sanity (1987) - 6.7/10 [Best songs: I Wanna Live; Bop Til You Drop; Garden of Serenity; I Know Better Now; Death of Me; A Real Cool Time; Bye Bye Baby]

11. Brain Drain (1989) - 7.5/10* [Best songs: ZeroZero UFO; Don’t Bust My Chops; Learn to Listen; Comeback, Baby; Merry Christmas (I Don’t Wanna Fight Tonight)]

* You might notice that I did not put Pet Semetery in this as best song, well, maybe it is one of their better singles, but album wise, there were better songs than it...

12. Mondo Bizzaro (1992) - 9.2/10 [Best songs: Censorshit; Poison Heart; Strength to Endure; It’s Gonna Be Alright; Take it as it Comes; Main Man; I Won’t Let it Happen; Cabbies on Crack; Heidi is a Head Case; Touring]

13. Acid Eaters (1994) - 7.5/10 [Best songs: Out of Time; The Shape of Things to Come; When I Was Young; Can’t Seem to Make You Mine]

14. Adios Amigos (1995) - 9.2/10 [Best songs: I Don’t Wanna Grow Up; It’s Not For Me to Know; Life’s a Gas; Take the Pain Away; Have a Nice Day; Scattergun; She Talks to Rainbows; Born to Die in Berlin]

Average score: 7.6/10.

• Like 1
(edited)

I really should follow some bands more closely, because I just discovered that Amorphis did a live album! It includes my favourite track of theirs, Black Winter Day. Just a damn good tune. But funny moments, the bass player has an Axl Rose look going. And the lead guitarist leans into either a breeze or wind machine when he does his big solo. Gotta love it. :)

Edited by Anduin
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

Mostly been listening to my own country's artists. Now, on Spotify, the band Garbanotas is playing.

Can't really find their albums on youtube, so, here's spotify link:

• Like 1

Started Alannah Myles discography. At least it won't be long (I think three or four albums tops). First self-titled album from 1989, it's decent. Besides Black Velvet, I think I also heard on the radio Who Loves You, but I could be wrong about that; maybe in some movie...

• Like 3

Second Alannah Myles album "Rockinghorse" (1992). Almost 10/10, if not for that one song... Surprised she did not get much more traction...

• Like 2

A lot of Billy Joel's music seems rather played out to me at this point.  But it's always cool to discover a deep track of his I like and am reminded why I used to like him a lot.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1

I'm still a sucker for tuning into Lady Gaga live performances.  This is from the Olympic opening ceremony.

I thought it was all right.  Not as great as Lady Monsters think it was but not as brutal as certain other fanbases think.  

• Like 1

Final album of Alannah Myles "85 BPM" (2015). Wow, 20 years of hiatus. Um... and it's not good. First half of the album really really really meh, and the rest is average with three or four different versions of Black Velvet lol.

As always, subjective assessments of each album:

1. Alannah Myles (1989) - 8/10 [Best songs: Love Is; Black Velvet; Lover of Mine; Kick Start My Heart; If You Want To; Who Loves You]

2. Rockinghorse (1992) - 9/10 [Best songs: Our World Our Times; Sonny Say You Will; Living On a Memory; Song Instead of a Kiss; Love in the Big Town; Rockinghorse]

3. Alannah (1995) - 5.8/10 [Best songs: Family Secret; Irish Rain; Simple Man’s Dream; Lightning in a Bottle; Do You Really Wanna Know Me?]

4. 85 BPM (2015) - 6.7/10 [Best songs: Comment Ca Va; Faces in the Crowd; Black Velvet Terry Brown]

Average album score: 7.3/10

• Like 1

Started Cher discography. Wow, I did not know that her career is that long. First album "All I Really Want to Do" came out in 1965! And, well, the production quality is nothing to speak of, but it's a given, it's more than 50 years old! That being said, the whole album is somewhere above average. Has couple of stand-out songs even though their quality is kinda poor, and I see that Needles and Pins was to go to cover for some bands. Not really a fan of her singing in this, feels like she's really really bored and will fall asleep anytime soon lol.

• Like 1

Second Cher album "The Sonny Side of Cher" (1966) was significantly better than the first one, also, had a lot of songs that I have heard from before (Like A Rolling Stone; Ol' Man River; It's Not Unusual).

• Like 1

Third Cher album, which is self-titled, "Cher" (1966). It was okey, more of the same style of music. It has another couple of songs that I have heard from before (not necessarily played by Cher, mind you).

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Fourth Cher album "With Love, Cher" (1967).  A very decent album in comparison. Still, not really a fan of sixties or seventies pop music...

I respect Cher's talents and abilities just never really got into her.

I did like her in her roles in Mermaids and Burlesque though.  

• Applause 3
(edited)
On 8/4/2024 at 8:44 AM, BlueSkies said:

The channel said Retro music but do you know how old the song is really?  

I noticed that.

I think it's a play on words.
-------

I'm almost 100% sure that Dave is high as a kite here. There are some nice shots of Alan up top on his keyboard though....🙃

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 2