Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

Speaking of first time tv, I finally got to watch the first 2 seasons of Orange is the New Black which yes, totally loving it AND I just now finished Continuum (I hear there is going to be a short final season later this year) and I thought it was really great! Such a great gray vs gray story and the lead actress looked like the love child of Jodie Foster and Lucy Lawless so that was really nice.

• Love 1

Time travel generally makes my brain hurt but I love Continuum and it's refreshingly open about its Vancouver setting too. I've always felt like a bad Canadian as the bulk of my TV viewing originates in the US. This past season though I found some entertaining Canadian shows. I watched Remedy (hospital drama) X Company (World War II spy drama) 19/2 (police drama set in Montreal) and The Amazing Race Canada, which returns soon. I'd still watch Bitten and Orphan Black too if I had the necessary channel, which I don't.

Having fewer channels hasn't been a huge deal but I really miss TMN/HBO. Game of Thrones, Veep, Silicon Valley, Penny Dreadful, Strikeback, True Detective, Banshee, all lost to me (until they turn up on Shomi, Crave or Netflix Canada!) Losing Super Channel meant Sons of Anarchy and Justified ended without me, Black Sails and Falling Skies are dead (ish) to me too.

I did voluntarily cull two former favourites this season: Haven and Once Upon A Time. Haven just went past its Best Before date for me and Mara storyline didn't interest me at all. I struggled for a while with OUAT but this season I bailed. I think the characters of Snow White and Emma have been fatally compromised by the creative decision to redeem Regina. I watched her gaslight her child, and murder Graham in a fit of pettiness and jealousy. I don't want to watch her get a happy ending, thanks.

• Love 1

Canadian living in sunny SoCal, but I am still obsessed with all things B.C., Irishmaple.  But not even my beloved Pacific Northwest scenery could keep me from permanently deleting One Upon a Time from my DVR list.   I am watching Wayward Pines (Agasiz, eh) and The Returned, because I was born near Squamish.  I also like Motive.  I'd watch more Canadian shows if they were easier to find on my way too cumbersome channel guide.  :-)

Motive! How could I have forgotten to mention that? After ignoring it from the beginning (bad Canadian!) I was looking for a time-waster On Demand a couple of weekends ago when I was sick with allergies. Season 3 of Motive was available from episode 1 so I gave it a shot. I binge-watched my way through the listings and was annoyed to realize I'd have to wait a week for a new episode. I like it and, as an Alias fan, Spy Daddy is always enjoyable.

I have family in BC (my brother and his family) but I haven't spent a lot of time there. The thought of another Toronto winter makes SoCal sound like a dream! I went to San Diego in 2009 for Comic Con and I thought I could live there. I thought the same thing about San Francisco in 2012! Could I afford to live there? Not a hope!

• Love 1

Funny about perceptions. Irishmaple, because I couldn't afford to live in Canada!  Almost everything is cheaper here in North San Diego County except health insurance, and I'm on a fixed paltry income, so beautiful B.C. is a pipe dream these days.  To tell the truth, I love the temperate weather where I am - heating & cooling are rarely required; ditto clothing (great for the menopausal sweaty stuff).  I was lucky to refi the mortgage on my dump at just the right time, and should be done with that in another few years (if I can last that long on credit, that is).  If you're going to live in poverty, this is the place to do it.  At least I can afford cat food, smokes, booze and all the good TV channels (which would be impossible in Canada, eh.  :-)

Besides all that, I have a cotillion of backyard critters who depend on me for food and love - I would never leave them, even if I won a lottery or something.  My Mum lives in Abbotsford, and wants to figure out a way to move down here to be with me - she loves it that much.  Other than missing my B.C. scenery (and being solvent), I think I have the perfect place.

I remember visiting Toronto with my boyfriend when I was young - sorry to say, I didn't really like the city.   I also visited Elliot Lake (near Sault Ste Marie) a couple of times to see my bio Dad way back when.  That was much nicer, if you ignored all the cancer.  :-)

San Francisco is a beautiful city, too.  Now THAT'S expensive!

I'm watching "Maggie" - about a zombie virus that takes weeks to fully turn someone. It's both sad and creepy. I don't know if I can watch the ending, if it goes the way they make it seem that it has to.

• Love 1

Is Maggie a movie? It's odd that I don't consider myself a "zombie" person, as in I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to watch WD in the first place. I have watched zombie movies, they move slow, how scary can they be? and what can you possibly do with a storyline beyond 2 hours? I liked "28 Days Later" and "Sean of the Dead" is my hands down favorite zombie movie, and it's a spoof.  So then WD takes over and now there are a million zombie shows and yes, I've checked them out, but I don't go seeking them out. 

I made an effort today! I blowed dried my hair ALL THE WAY! I dabbed on some face! There is product people, this is rare. 

• Love 2

I liked "28 Days Later" and "Shaun of the Dead" is my hands down favorite zombie movie, and it's a spoof. 

Since those are both British, you might enjoy Dead Set (a 2008 5-episode series about surviving the ZA in the Big Brother house) and In the Flesh (a 2013 9-episode drama about rehabilitating zombies and returning them to their communities).

• Love 1

Is Maggie a movie? It's odd that I don't consider myself a "zombie" person, as in I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to watch WD in the first place. I have watched zombie movies, they move slow, how scary can they be? and what can you possibly do with a storyline beyond 2 hours? I liked "28 Days Later" and "Sean of the Dead" is my hands down favorite zombie movie, and it's a spoof.  So then WD takes over and now there are a million zombie shows and yes, I've checked them out, but I don't go seeking them out. 

I made an effort today! I blowed dried my hair ALL THE WAY! I dabbed on some face! There is product people, this is rare. 

Yes, it's a movie. I found it online, but it was released on on-demand, at the same time as its release in theatres. "I'll be back" Arnie is in it, and believable as a dad just trying to help/protect his daughter. 

• Love 1

I watched Texas Rising last night because it looked interesting and I don't know much about that time as US history wasn't covered in the Irish curriculum unless it concerned emigration. It also stars Bill Paxton, a man I've adored since Aliens and Near Dark. Maybe it was my ignorance of the topic at hand and maybe it was because I was tired, but I had no frigging idea what was going on. Normally I'm fine with a cast of thousands and multiple storylines, but this show seemed to jump around so much I had no idea who anyone was, what they wanted or where they were going. Part 2 just started now and I'm going to pay attention like its my job. After I go offline, of course!

• Love 1

Against my better judgement last year I watched the hatfield and McCoy movie

I watched that too, and while there was a lot I liked about it, my main problem was that everyone in it was so unlikable I couldn't really work up any emotion or decide who was right or wrong. That's always a bad thing in movies or TV.

Yes, while I say that about every single project Kevin Costner ever does, you are correct, it didn't give any historical signifigance to this feud, basically it kinda boiled down to his fault, he came back from the war, lied about something and then never ever budged even when his whole family died. The whole thing was pointless. 

I think I'm epically pissed at myself, I think I took crab cakes out last night to make and I got distracted making salad and sangria, I may have left them sitting somewhere to now go bad, stink up my house and possibly cause me to die. I remember having two things in my hand and I pray I just shoved it back in the fridge but knowing me I'll find them and cry. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Salad, sangria and crab cakes? If I were closer I'd come and help you find them, since that's my kind of dinner!

As for Costner: Yes, I will admit that "Waterworld" is a guilty pleasure of mine and that I LOVED "Mr. Brooks."

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 1

Ooh, "Dances with Wolves" is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I don't even feel guilty about it! It's so visually beautiful that you could take almost any frame of film, freeze it, blow it up and hang it on your wall. Oh, and the score is simply haunting.

"Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves", however, majorly sucked a big one, except for Alan Rickman. I guess I shouldn't be too hard on ol' Kev, though, since Russell Crowe's version is even worse.

• Love 1

I like Kevin Costner's sports movies. Tin Cup made golf interesting for about ninety minutes. Bull Durham is hot as hell and there's another baseball movie he did about pitching a perfect game that wasn't bad either.

I've given up on Texas Rising. Two nights of utter confusion is enough. I spent way too much time identifying actors from previous gigs, and Brendan Fraser looks ridiculous. Deaf reminded me how much I hated John Winchester back in his Supernatural days. There were too many blonde guys I couldn't tell apart and I never felt I got a grasp of the storyline. I need a copy of Texas Rising for Dummies. I'm going to watch The Flash finale on demand. My brain has atrophied.

• Love 2

My favorite Kevin Costner role is the dead guy in that one movie with glen close where they all come back for a reunion because of a friends funeral. You never see him :D. I'm not saying he hasn't done some good work just he himself irritates the ever living fuck out of me. Same with nick cage and couple other people who slip my mind at the moment. Raising Arizona is one of my all time favorite movies but something about these guys just rankles me.

Crab cakes were safe hallelujah. They were a little splurge of mine and I would have been sad if I wasted the money.

I'm gonna have to set some goals. I currently have nothing on the docket because I quit the universe. Because I'm not winning at it. It's very hard to have anything to look forward to with no money. I can afford to get up, go to work, go home and nap. There are no vacations. No getaways. No days off. I'm feeling very much like a brick in the wall.

• Love 3
(edited)

My favorite Kevin Costner role is the dead guy in that one movie with glen close where they all come back for a reunion because of a friends funeral.

Ha! "The Big Chill."

Same with nick cage and couple other people who slip my mind at the moment.

Nicolas Cage - "My EYES! MY EYES! NOT the BEES!!" Fine emoting there, Nic.

Another one, for me, is George Clooney. Can't stand him, on screen or off. Every role he has, he just plays himself - irritating, snooty and glib. Ugh.

I'm feeling very much like a brick in the wall.

Sorry to hear that.:( Wish there was something we could do.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 1

Hey, nachomama.  Another despairing brick in the wall here.  Maybe if enough of us get together, someone will come along and graffiti Unfair Wolves on our faces (or would that be our asses?).   Now I'm humming Always Look on the Bright Side of Life from Monty Python's Life of Brian.  :-)

Misery loves company, so I'm here any time you need a friendly non-judgmental ear.  Seriously.

• Love 2

Ha! "The Big Chill."

yes! I can never remember the name of that movie. I kept thinking "cold something".

Most of my worries are currently money, just hemoraging money at the moment. And it's not like I'm out shopping for shoes, with 2 jobs I just don't have enough coming in. I like what I do, just not who I currently do it for. Trust me I'm on the lookout. Meanwhile I just have to try and keep my lip zipped. No need to get fired before I can tell them to shove it.

I remember reading that people change jobs like every 5-10 years and that always struck me weird. I come from a place where my dad worked for the same people for 30 years. That was it, you stuck with it and nobody thought about being happy in their job, it was just what you did. And I lucked out early, my college job turned into my job job and I was there for a long, long time. I'd still be there if that job actually existed. And the last 5-6 years where I've had to try a number of different things isn't fun. I know this is more the norm for most of the world but me no likey. 

I haven't even marathoned or watched any old episodes after my multiple viewings of the finale. I guess maybe I'm relatively satisfied with how it ended; no big cliffhanger, etc. I'm hoping I get some mojo back soon, and I'm wearing my science dog shirt today to help me along. :P

d9405b1baf87e5bc4b5bd02166a14435.jpg

• Love 4

I want a science dog shirt.  

I'm currently having WD withdrawals and guess I will have to drag out my dvd's and rewatch past seasons.  Although, my withdrawals this year haven't been as bad as season's past so I hope this means I'm not cooling on the show.  Also, my daughter sent me her first season of Deadwood so I'm putting that on the list, too.

I tried (again) to get into Game of Thrones but the only episodes I've seen have been about rape, rape, torture and rape.  I just can't deal with that so this will be my last try.  I'll just stick with TWD and it's own brand of gore.

So, that's what I've been up to!  Pretty boring, huh?  I'm glad to see that everyone is alive and well.  For those of us currently dissatisfied with our jobs/current standard of living I say we get busy on our Survivors of the Apocalypse commune.  Just make sure kikismom is there and that walnutqueen brings along all of her highly trained guard kitties/critters.  Nachomama, you can confiscate the credenza to be used in our high tech command center.

• Love 4

Hannibal finally starts next week, and I watched Aquarius, last night. I'm also looking forward to Proof, and will check out The Whisperers, next week. 

Something about Wayward Pines had me thinking of Rick. :) Someone else mentioned him in the thread for the first episode. 

• Love 2

Credenza boy strikes again. I came in, on my pseudo day off, I usually don't work here on Fridays, but because I'm tired of getting blamed for things on Monday, it's my subtle revolt. So he has a little chat with me. If he needs me to work fridays he'll talk to me thursday and if I feel I need to be come in I can talk to him on thursday as well. pffft. fuck you, pay me. I'm sure in his head this is just my way of getting more money. Not really, I'd love to get some sleep. I want everyone to be goddam good and clear that I'm not dropping the ball, that I'm going the extra mile to get my shit done. There are things for me to do, I have legit reasons. No one will ever be able to say I wasn't dedicated to my job. I will set that credenza on fire. 

Perhaps my mind isn't as fertile but I looked at The Whisperers and thought, "where can this go?" but I thought that of walking dead. And I'm not sure about the influx of "mystery" shows, The Returned, Wayward Pines (sadly because it's from M. Night shamalamadingdong, I'm not gonna bother) his twist is always pedantic. 

NurseGiGi, I love Deadwood. I don't know if its relief from Game of Thrones though, not so much rape though because they all get paid! :D But lots and lots and lots and lots of swearing. 

• Love 1

Because I have no life, I was growing slightly concerned about what I'd be watching over the summer now that the majority of my shows are on hiatus. I watch almost everything on demand so I went looking to see what's available on the various channels. City TV is offering a new plague show called Between, and Wayward Pines, plus Brooklyn 99 is back on the schedule so I can finish out the season. Global had nothing new but I still need to finish the current seasons of Battle Creek (cancelled, I believe, but I like it) Elementary and maybe I'll give The Blacklist another look after dropping it back in October. If I'm truly desperate, they have the full season of NCIS and its various offspring. CTV has the finale of Agents of SHIELD, a show I'm not so much hate watching as despair watching at this point, as well as Motive. My cable provider also has a subscription service called Shomi which I'm currently getting for free for whatever reason. There I found two seasons of The Americans, season 1 of The Bridge, Dead Set, iZombie, Jane the Virgin, season 1 of The Strain, Transparent, and Tyrant. It also has Alias if I feel nostalgic. Defiance returns on June 14th and Dominion on July 12th, and will not be on demand so I'll have something to watch live. And if I ever motivate myself to watch TV shows on the iPad, Space channel has Orphan Black, and The Last Ship is supposed to come back for its second season. AMC should have Hell on Wheels later in the summer too. Thankfully I don't have to worry yet about finding myself a hobby or anything drastic like that!

• Love 3

I also have nothing to do, so I watch way too much TV. I also end up being up all night, which I hate. I'm trying to at least read more. I feel like my brain has been hijacked by Netflix. 

• Love 2

I haven't even marathoned or watched any old episodes after my multiple viewings of the finale. I guess maybe I'm relatively satisfied with how it ended; no big cliffhanger, etc. I'm hoping I get some mojo back soon, and I'm wearing my science dog shirt today to help me along. :P

d9405b1baf87e5bc4b5bd02166a14435.jpg

Ha!  I always thought it was a bowling shirt...lol  I never paid that much attention to the fact it was a paw!

• Love 1

Okay, I won't even bother to check out Wayward Pines since it's from Shamalamadingdong.  I actually paid money, at a movie theater, to see that godawful movie he did with Mark Wahlberg (The Happening?  can't remember, I'm trying to block it out).

I would vote for a penis discussion but I just got off from work and saw way to many of them last night.

• Love 2
(edited)

I not only haven't seen any of the shows you people are talking about, but haven't even heard of many of them. Been in a TV void for years now.

I would vote for a penis discussion but I just got off from work and saw way to many of them last night.

OH, hahaha!

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 1

My TV outlook just improved: Hannibal returns this week for its third season. I love this show. It's shot in Toronto and season one's villain, Garrett Jacob Hobbes, was played by a very nice man who brought his little kid to the place I used to work. Also, Halt & Catch Fire returns to AMC tonight so I'm all good.

In other interests (I actually do things other than watch TV!) I went to Indigo yesterday to pick up Entertainment Weekly, which I've been buying since about 1992 and, while there, saw that Joe Abercrombie had a new book out. It's called Half A King, and Abercrombie just joined the very short list of authors I will buy in hardcover. At this point, he's the only author on that list. My sister finished Deborah Harkness' Lost Souls Trilogy and strongly recommended it. I bought A Discovery of Witches, which is sitting on my nightstand along with The Mindful Way Through Stress and Jane Eyre's Sisters: How Women Live and Write the Heroine's Story. My only rationale for choosing TV over reading is that I am dog-tired most of the time. My workday starts at 7.30 Monday to Saturday, I'm on my feet for the bulk of that time, we're chronically understaffed so breaks are hard to come by and I eat when I can. I'm never home before 7pm so by the time I've had dinner, showered and settled in for the evening, it's 8.30 and I just want to veg for a couple of hours.

When I got to my friend's place last night for dinner, my iPad was in my purse so I showed it to her son, who's an Apple guy and never uses anything else. Ten minutes in his hands and my iPad is now 150% more useful. He was way better than the salesperson at the Apple Store. The kid has never lived in a world without technology, and keeps himself aware of new releases and developments. He's in school but works every summer to pay for his interests. I really like my iPad but if my laptop hadn't died I'd still be happily using it. To me, this stuff is a tool, useful as hell but I could manage without it if I had to; to him, this stuff is part of life.

• Love 1

Maybe you guys already know about this, but thought I'd leave the rec anyway. There's a zombie radio drama/podcast called "We're Alive" that I wholeheartedly recommend. It's way better than I expected. I've just finished season one and I'm hooked.

• Love 3

My TV outlook just improved: Hannibal returns this week for its third season. I love this show. It's shot in Toronto and season one's villain, Garrett Jacob Hobbes, was played by a very nice man who brought his little kid to the place I used to work. Also, Halt & Catch Fire returns to AMC tonight so I'm all good.

In other interests (I actually do things other than watch TV!) I went to Indigo yesterday to pick up Entertainment Weekly, which I've been buying since about 1992 and, while there, saw that Joe Abercrombie had a new book out. It's called Half A King, and Abercrombie just joined the very short list of authors I will buy in hardcover. At this point, he's the only author on that list. My sister finished Deborah Harkness' Lost Souls Trilogy and strongly recommended it. I bought A Discovery of Witches, which is sitting on my nightstand along with The Mindful Way Through Stress and Jane Eyre's Sisters: How Women Live and Write the Heroine's Story. My only rationale for choosing TV over reading is that I am dog-tired most of the time. My workday starts at 7.30 Monday to Saturday, I'm on my feet for the bulk of that time, we're chronically understaffed so breaks are hard to come by and I eat when I can. I'm never home before 7pm so by the time I've had dinner, showered and settled in for the evening, it's 8.30 and I just want to veg for a couple of hours.

When I got to my friend's place last night for dinner, my iPad was in my purse so I showed it to her son, who's an Apple guy and never uses anything else. Ten minutes in his hands and my iPad is now 150% more useful. He was way better than the salesperson at the Apple Store. The kid has never lived in a world without technology, and keeps himself aware of new releases and developments. He's in school but works every summer to pay for his interests. I really like my iPad but if my laptop hadn't died I'd still be happily using it. To me, this stuff is a tool, useful as hell but I could manage without it if I had to; to him, this stuff is part of life.

Discovery of Witches is an awesome book!  I have the second and third book on my Nook but I haven't had the time to read them yet.  I used to plow through 4-5 books a week.  Being an adult sucks.

I could read (online) at work. I too am of the dog tired variety and when I open a book at home I no longer have the attention span. I've been reading game of thrones forever and a friend was going to email me the iBook and keeps forgetting. Always says "oh, that's 2 seconds" but apparently so easy it slips his mind. I stopped reminding. I've noticed that I don't nag. Maybe I'm remembering my mother telling us 9 times and I reject that. I don't remind anyone of my birthday. And I don't call people or invite myself over. So if I find this miracle job and sell my house and move how the hell am I ever gonna have friends? Maybe the miracle job will pay so much I can afford hobby things and to leave my house?

I dreamed last night I was in d.c. And accidently ran into my dad (he's dead) but he was there with a woman he was going to marry. Twas odd.

I feel gross, took out the trash this morning and I had watermelon and it was drippy. I do not think I dripped on my shoes, I inspected but I feel like I still smell garbage. I washed up and applied lotions and creams and potions so I think it's just in my head. 

• Love 1

This morning I left my workplace with the kids I was escorting to a circle time (songs and stories) nearby. I got them as far as the sidewalk when I heard a dog whimpering. I looked around but couldn't see any dog. I don't know what made me look up but there on the roof, specifically on the sloping overhang that forms a cover for the second-storey balcony, was the neighbour's little beagle. It had jumped through the screen of the third-floor window and couldn't get back in. The poor thing was terrified and looking at me, desperate for help. With stunning lack of professionalism, I herded the kids onto the lawn and left them there while I went to the door. The house has three floors and a basement used for storage so I'd assumed there were three apartments, one per floor. Four were listed, which threw me, because I now wasn't sure if the third floor was #3 or #4. The residents were all listed by surname which didn't help either because I know the guy's first name but not his surname. In the end, I pushed every buzzer and banged on the door. To no avail. None of the tenants were home.

Luckily another neighbour came by and he said he could contact the dog's owner on Facebook. At this point I had to leave; the kids had reached the limit of their interest and I'm not paid to stand around worrying about the neighbour's dog. When we returned an hour later, the dog was gone. I saw one of the other tenants as I was leaving this evening and he said the owner had come home from work to rescue the stranded dog. Happy ending, much to my relief.

• Love 3

For a minute I thought your story was going in the super-hero direction, with little kids cheering on the intrepid IrishMaple scaling a building to rescue a beagle.  :-)

Would it surprise you to learn that my latest new animal show is Treetop Cat Rescue?  heh

• Love 2

Maybe you guys already know about this, but thought I'd leave the rec anyway. There's a zombie radio drama/podcast called "We're Alive" that I wholeheartedly recommend. It's way better than I expected. I've just finished season one and I'm hooked.

I listened to the first episode (all three parts), and I'm hooked! (Some of the acting was horrible, though.) http://www.werealive.com

Thanks so much for the recommendation!

• Love 1

I listened to the first episode (all three parts), and I'm hooked! (Some of the acting was horrible, though.) http://www.werealive.com

Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Yay! I was a bit meh after the first episode, but eventually it got really good. At least as far as I have gotten. The writer is very good at complicating things, lol, the things he comes up with! O.O

Radio dramas need to make a comeback, yo! They are so great for when you are doing boring chores or at the gym.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yay! I was a bit meh after the first episode, but eventually it got really good. At least as far as I have gotten. The writer is very good at complicating things, lol, the things he comes up with! O.O

Radio dramas need to make a comeback, yo! They are so great for when you are doing boring chores or at the gym.

I listened to the first part last night. Thanks for mentioning it. :) I used to like listening to things like that. I can't remember if I mentioned one recommended by two friends - was it here that I did? Welcome to Night Vale - something else I want to listen to.

I've just realized that there's a crack on my tablet screen. :( I've only had it for five months! and was just catching up on GoT on a site that wasn't HBO, when I noticed it. There's also a triangle shape crack linked to it. damn, I wonder how long it's been that way. It's gone flying a few times, once thanks to me, and other times thanks to my pets.

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oooh, mobile skin. sounds kinky

I have started "Halt and Catch Fire" which I do like, and I adore Lee Pace. I will watch anything he does until the end of time. I loved "Pushing Daisies", he is my anti-Costner.

Somebody gotta talk besides me. :S Anyway I started the Texas thing, it is kinda weird. I'm not lost because I vaguely understand the history of Texas but it's uneven. Much of the acting is atrocious. And it wants to throw in humor but yet be taken seriously as a "historical drama" like when you have 2 idiot kids just trying to get  a girl's attention are we supposed to believe everything else is accurate? Being from New Mexico and most of my friend's being navajo I'm waiting to see how the american indians play out. In the last 20 years most movies and tv shows have given up the stereotypes of evil injuns and realized that we abused the hell out of them but in the first episode they seemingly randomly kidnapped white women. Who knows if I'll keep up with it. It's meh for now.

Edited by nachomama
  • Love 2