Type keyword(s) to search

The Curse Of Oak Island - General Discussion

• Start Topic

TGMC

Episode 7 - a measly 5

However, it's fair to say that he didn't have as much screentime in this episode as the last but I'm not invested enough in this game to monitor that as well lol!

On 1/5/2023 at 1:54 PM, AZChristian said:

and - best of all - referred to the lead in my favorite fictional book series as 'arry po''er.  He said as a Brit he drops his H's and doesn't use T's in the middle of words. 

Heh, I think some (not all) of us English folk are commonly the most guilty of doing that along with perhaps some Scots? I don't think the Irish or Welsh folks do it so much, but then again I'm no expert on the dozens and dozens of accents across this green and pleasant (not to mention currently wet*) land.

*Shocker, said no-one.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I swear Gary set a record for the number of times he said "mate" in a single sentence last night.   When he was in the lab with the coin, I swear every other word was mate.    He has to be putting on an act.   They are also forcing him from and center.   When they announced the Laginas bought lot 5 (oh goody more holes in one of the few places WITHOUT holes), there was a direct question to HIM.   Not the archeologist, not anyone else.   Just Gary.   STOP TRYING TO MAKE GARY HAPPEN.   

Other than that, not a whole hell of a lot.    They aren't going to get into the garden shaft until the season finale.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
On 1/11/2023 at 7:53 AM, merylinkid said:

Other than that, not a whole hell of a lot.    They aren't going to get into the garden shaft until the season finale.  

Really, at this point, what is so interesting about what they pull out of the ground by metal detector?  They've already established that people were active on the island hundreds of years ago.  Finding another spike or oxen shoe isn't going to prove anything.  The meat, if there is any, is in the deep digging.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

Really, at this point, what is so interesting about what they pull out of the ground by metal detector?  They've already established that people were active on the island hundreds of years ago.  Finding another spike or oxen shoe isn't going to prove anything.  The meat, if there is any, is in the deep digging.

If the ground-penetrating sonar (which provides incredible detail, if you listen to them) goes down to 130 feet, why don't they take it over near the Garden Shaft?  They think the tunnel there is less than 80 feet.   Surely they could find out if the "Bravo Tango" is in that shaft.  

• Like 6
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

If the ground-penetrating sonar (which provides incredible detail, if you listen to them) goes down to 130 feet, why don't they take it over near the Garden Shaft?  They think the tunnel there is less than 80 feet.   Surely they could find out if the "Bravo Tango" is in that shaft.  

Good point.  I suppose they want to keep a variety of activities going at once to decrease boredom, and to hide the fact that very little is actually going on, progress-wise.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I've enjoyed watching past seasons of "The Detectorists," a British comedy show about two guys who spend a lot of time with their metal detectors.  Watching that made me aware of the "gold dance" they refer to on Oak Island, as well as other terms and ideas about the process.

They came out last month with a feature-length episode.  In it, one of the guys actually does find (among other things) a piece of gold about two inches square, but keeps it secret from his friend at first.  Eventually, they contact the archeology powers-that-be, and a full-scale "dig" is begun.  In my mind's eye, the bulldozer driver looked like Billy, and Laird was hiding in the background.

In those "among other things" Lance found was a "bit o' poh'ery" which was an intact small cup.  He kept it, but figured it was just another of the many bits he'd found in the past.  They tossed it into the detectorist club's "lost and found" box and never gave it another thought.

And now for the fun part:

Spoiler

The museum that helped with the dig held a press conference.  At the press conference, they announced that the gold square was probably part of a small treasure box.  Boxes like that were used to protect precious religious artifacts.

The movie then switched to a silent historical vignette of the pottery cup being used by Christ at the Last Supper.  It was saved after dinner, and placed into the box.  The box was then presented to the king, who silently ordered some Crusaders to hide the box.  Next scene:  crossing the ocean.  Next scene:  a battle, during which the box was damaged and the cup went rolling off into the mud, where it lay buried for centuries until it was found (and not given any importance) by the detectorists.

After hearing of this, the final scene was the duo speeding off back to the about-to-be-demolished clubhouse to look for the cup.

Darn, maybe the gang on Oak Island should go back and double-check all those pieces of "poh'ery" Gary has found  LOL.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

Episode 9

TGMC - 11 (not including any 'previously on' "mates")

"It's A Bobby Dazzler!" Season Count - 0

"Top Pocket Find" Season Count - 2

He also has the "baby" catchphrase, as in "Roman, baby!" or "Templar, baby!".

What does TGMC stand for?  Total Gary Mate Count?

• Like 2

Most posters here are pretty skeptical and don't think there's any real treasure.  I'm just curious what your explanation is for the water testing that supposedly indicates that there is gold and silver leeching into the water from the blob area?  Remember they said it indicated a dump truck full of gold amount.  Is the test garbage?  A straight up lie?  A legitimate test and we'll be seeing them pull up a real treasure in the coming years?  A natural gold deposit beneath the island?

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, rmontro said:

Is the test garbage?  A straight up lie? 

Well one year they said "we can't test for gold" for reasons I can't remember.   Then the next year we hear "Oh hey we worked on the testing and now we CAN detect gold."   Oh and by the way we just HAPPEN to detect gold here on Oak Island.   So make of that what you will.

Nothing has ever been found on the Island.  It's just two men who say they found a "mysterious carved stone" back in the late 1700s that said there was treasure on the Island.   Everyone has been digging ever since to find it.   Not very scientifically either.    They claim there are booby trapped flood tunnels and other things.   And of course everything is indication of a treasure, no matter how flimsy.   Oh a wharf built -- MUST have been to bring something heavy LIKE TREASURE BABY to the island.   Oh an square hole in the ground that is now empty -- must be proof there was treasure and they moved it.   (not you know a FREAKING ROOT CELLAR).

Someone in this forum posted and said well first I would see what was possible to do back then use that knowledge to see where a treasure might be.   Instead we have heavy equipment everywhere digging HUGE holes and cassons going down hundreds of feet that just hit bedrock.   Like how could someone pre-1798 have done all this elaborate stuff?   It really is more "There must be treasure here because no one would keep digging for over 200 years looking for it if there wasn't."   But the most that has been found is a gold chain that was CONVENIENTLY discovered JUST as the hunters were about to give up for lack for funds.   Then, of course, they got funding to keep looking.   

• Like 3
  • Applause 4

I'm mostly past caring about whether they find treasure or not. I do, however, enjoy the historical aspects featured on the show and find them intriguing, for various reasons, in and of themselves.

Episode 11

TGMC - The unthinkable happened - ZERO! (Altho it was a Gary-lite episode tbf)

"It's A Bobby Dazzler!" Season Count - 0

"Top Pocket Find" Season Count - 2

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1

Let me get this straight, Andrews a freemason dumps treasure on Oak Island, supposedly for safekeeping.   Then he just sells the property to Samuel Ball, leaving the treasure there.   Ball is presumably NOT a freemason so would have no duty to safeguard the treasure.   he finds it and spends it.   Good job there Andrews.   Except that makes NO FREAKING SENSE.

I love how Ball is now a "humble cabbage farmer."   I would love to see more research on him.   Like, OTHER THAN FINDING TREASURE someone conveniently left on the land he JUST HAPPENED TO BUY, how did he make his money?   Because hard work and savvy business practices makes a hell of a lot more sense than "just happened to find treasure the previous owner just left laying around."

• Like 4
11 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Let me get this straight, Andrews a freemason dumps treasure on Oak Island, supposedly for safekeeping.   Then he just sells the property to Samuel Ball, leaving the treasure there.   Ball is presumably NOT a freemason so would have no duty to safeguard the treasure.   he finds it and spends it.   Good job there Andrews.   Except that makes NO FREAKING SENSE.

I love how Ball is now a "humble cabbage farmer."   I would love to see more research on him.   Like, OTHER THAN FINDING TREASURE someone conveniently left on the land he JUST HAPPENED TO BUY, how did he make his money?   Because hard work and savvy business practices makes a hell of a lot more sense than "just happened to find treasure the previous owner just left laying around."

While having a bout of insomnia at 4 this morning, I turned on my DVR to watch Oak Island.  Great cure!

I agree with your suggestion that it's  more likely that James Ball made his money selling cabbage to the British and Canadian armies.  They could turn it into sauerkraut to provide huge amounts of Vitamin C to prevent scurvy.  And then he could pick up his book and pipe and sit by the fire.

What I don't understand is how (apparently) LOTS of men with nothing but shovels and axes created this complex space underground big enough for a huge treasure, but a (probably even larger) number of people in modern times with backhoes and modern equipment and technology haven't been able to locate it.  

Funniest thing in this episode:  Gary finding two of those "'ooks to 'ang things on the back of doors" (which I call 17th century Command hooks), which Carmen looked at for 10 seconds and declared were broken-off parts of two short-bladed scythes to cut grass to build an encampment.  

And the biggest question of all . . . if - as they remind us at the beginning of every episode - one more person has to die before the treasure can be found, why don't they just pitch Laird or Terry down into that well on Lot 26 and throw all the dirt back into it.  Then inscribe their name on the plaque and get on with finding the treasure.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
58 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

which Carmen looked at for 10 seconds and declared were broken-off parts of two short-bladed scythes to cut grass to build an encampment.  

an encampment?  for the military?   That Samuel Ball could sell cabbage to?    I've said it before, Oak Island was a navy base where ships could stop for repair and resupply (like cabbage).   Everything matches that.   Road, wharf, L shaped fort that the French used.   EVERYTHING.   But that's not treasure so its not as "exciting."   Except to historians that would be SO FREAKING COOL.   

BTW, the 7 Years war involved France and England, which ended with France handing over Canada to the English predates the discovery of the money pit.   So pre-searcher as they would say.    Hmmmmmmmm, world war with England, a naval power, the French need someplace safe for their ships to dock, where COULD that be?

hy don't they just pitch Laird or Terry down into that well on Lot 26 and throw all the dirt back into it.  Then inscribe their name on the plaque and get on with finding the treasure.

I vote for Gary.   He can yell "Treasure BABY" as they throw him down.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

an encampment?  for the military?   That Samuel Ball could sell cabbage to?    I've said it before, Oak Island was a navy base where ships could stop for repair and resupply (like cabbage).   Everything matches that.   Road, wharf, L shaped fort that the French used.   EVERYTHING.   But that's not treasure so its not as "exciting."   Except to historians that would be SO FREAKING COOL.   

BTW, the 7 Years war involved France and England, which ended with France handing over Canada to the English predates the discovery of the money pit.   So pre-searcher as they would say.    Hmmmmmmmm, world war with England, a naval power, the French need someplace safe for their ships to dock, where COULD that be?

I vote for Gary.   He can yell "Treasure BABY" as they throw him down.

150 percent in agreement here.  But if you leave out the treasure part you basically have a show that would be more along the lines of something on PBS like "Nova" or "Secrets of The Dead" , except that those shows are interesting as opposed to  the snore-zone of "Oak Island".  

If anybody here also watches "Beyond Oak Island", they had some episodes on other mysteries and it looks as if next season is going to be another goose hunt in looking for sunken treasure in Lake Michigan.    Personally, I would have rather them went with the guys searching for the Wydah shipwreck off of Cape Cod, but those guys are actually finding stuff so no endless "we may have found treasure" in that.  

And the "I vote for Gary..."  - I almost peed my pants laughing so hard! 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I predict that the next person hired on Oak Island will be a chiropractor.  They probably need one with all of that head snapping to look at each other whenever anyone in the "chosen few" group says something encouraging about what COULD be happening next.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 5

Oh heavens they are using numerology now.   Which I am 2,880 is NOT 288.   They are completely different numbers.   I also think their diameter math was wrong but not so sure on that because math is not my strong point.

Just get back to lot 5.

Correction to my post earlier - Samuel Ball couldn't have sold cabbage to the French during the 7 Years War.   He didn't show up until after the revolutionary war.   But they do keep finding ship stuff -- even mentioned ON THE SHOW they have found a number of ship related items.   So maybe the British continued using the Island as a depot for awhile.  

• Like 2

What a bunch of claptrap.  Anyone with eyes can see that the arms of Nolan's Cross are not even the same length.  Just to be sure, I froze the screen and had hubby measure the actual cross overhead shot.  The left arm was 6-1/4", and the one on the right was 7-5/8".  Not even close.  Plus, the intersecting angles between the horizontal and vertical were not even exact right angles on Nolan's Cross.  The guy's measurements and diagram were off.  And then the yellow dotted line from the center crosspiece to the outer circle was not even a straight line.

I also question the use of the sacred numbers.  Those were a reference to measurements in churches and cathedrals, not a way of finding buried treasure.

Disappointed that they're thinking viewers are stupid enough not to notice such obvious discrepancies.  The real Nolan's Cross is an apple.  This guy was measuring oranges.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I also question the use of the sacred numbers.  Those were a reference to measurements in churches and cathedrals, not a way of finding buried treasure.

I wanted them to explain what was sacred about those numbers.

Regarding the garden shaft, it looked like there was water in the bottom.  So either it's flooded or that was just rainwater that had accumulated down there.  I'm guessing it's the latter.  But if it's flooded, they're going to have a hard time branching off from there into any tunnel that might be attached to it.  

Edited by rmontro
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Regarding the garden shaft, it looked like there was water in the bottom.  So either it's flooded or that was just rainwater that had accumulated down there.  I'm guessing it's the latter.  But if it's flooded, they're going to have a hard time branching off from there into any tunnel that might be attached to it.  

Takes us back to the question of the five drains that supposedly would cause the tunnels to flood as another level of security.

• Like 3
On 2/8/2023 at 11:48 AM, merylinkid said:

Oak Island was a navy base where ships could stop for repair and resupply (like cabbage). 

if I'm not mistaken, they've even referred to documentation that confirms this.  So I don't think there is a question of there being a naval base there.  I'm curious  how this explains things like the tunnels and the "five drains"?

I always doubted the existence of the five drains, but when they were digging up the beach, it did appear that there was something there at least resembling them, which kind of surprised me.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, rmontro said:

how this explains things like the tunnels and the "five drains"?

First of all are they tunnels or are they natural openings on an island which water naturally runs through?    As for the french drains, hello low lying area, the military doesn't want to stand around in water all the time so they put in drains to remove the naturally flowing water.

All of this has a rather mundane explanation.   But they will literally never explore that.   It has to be "TREASURE."   The drains were for the "elaborate set of booby trapped flood tunnels" i.e. water coming in, not going out to the ocean AWAY from where people were living and working.

What the Fellowship does is take the theory and then explain the facts to suit the theory.   Instead of taking the facts and finding the theory that fits.   But everything STARTS from the premise that there is TREASURE on the Island and explained from there.   Instead of saying "oh hey there are drains, I wonder why?"   I mean I hear drains and I think going AWAY, not coming IN.   

Edited by merylinkid
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

I'm amazed this is still going on.  I haven't watched it in years, but caught an episode the other night.  In an hour the only thing they dug up was a pipe stem piece, but no one could date it.  Now they're trying to tie in the Knights Templar?  WTF?  Have they ever uncovered any treasure at all?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Razzberry said:

Now they're trying to tie in the Knights Templar?  WTF?  Have they ever uncovered any treasure at all?

Guess you haven't been watching in years - LOL.  They've been at this Knights Templar thing for quite a few years now.   Rick and the young guys jetted off to Portugal, and if I recall, there has also been trips to Scotland and maybe England as well - all looking for clues re the KT and Oak Island.  These  Templar Fact Finding mission trips must make some good tax write-offs for a European vacation.  

On 2/15/2023 at 2:18 PM, AZChristian said:

What a bunch of claptrap.  Anyone with eyes can see that the arms of Nolan's Cross are not even the same length.  Just to be sure, I froze the screen and had hubby measure the actual cross overhead shot.  The left arm was 6-1/4", and the one on the right was 7-5/8".  Not even close.  Plus, the intersecting angles between the horizontal and vertical were not even exact right angles on Nolan's Cross.  The guy's measurements and diagram were off.  And then the yellow dotted line from the center crosspiece to the outer circle was not even a straight line.

Disappointed that they're thinking viewers are stupid enough not to notice such obvious discrepancies.  The real Nolan's Cross is an apple.  This guy was measuring oranges.

And here I was watching slack jawed and thinking that they really had some kind of a viable theory for once.  In my defense, I was downing my 2nd glass of wine and watching at 10 pm on the DVR.   

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
10 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I mean I hear drains and I think going AWAY, not coming IN.   

Sounds reasonable.  They have talked about people of that era building those kind of booby traps in Europe IIRC.  That surprised me, because I thought the drains idea sounded pretty far fetched.  But if they're not lying, I'm pretty impressed people of that time were able to accomplish something like that.  Because it seems like it would be difficult to do even today, using modern equipment.

• Like 3

Ok, so the number theory seemed to be dropped for this week's episode but they FOUND A BOBBY DAZZLER!    Which may be interesting to look at once all of the corrosion is cleaned off of it.  

And when Rick and crew was going down into that shaft - all I could think of was "how the f much is all this costing?"    The History Chanel must have very deep pockets.   

As to all of the fuss over the well - rolling eyes here.   And if chance if something starts to look like they maybe are close to finding "something", just watch the Canadian/Novia Scotia gov't put a stop to it (while asking for permits out the whazoo).  

• Like 1
On 2/23/2023 at 10:24 AM, merylinkid said:

I ain't believing that bobby dazzler until its appraised.  The last "ruby" they found tyrned out to be glass.

I'll never forget that "metal cane end" from centuries ago which turned out to be a lipstick tube topper from MUCH more modern times.

• LOL 5

Tree Guy says the tree is probably 240 years old based on the rings.

Rick/Marty (no I still can't tell them apart and I really don't care):  What's the accuracy.

TG:  Plus or minus 30 years.

R/M:   So 270 years old.

Narrator:  A tree more than 240 years old.

HE SAID PLUS OR MINUS.   That means it could be LESS.   The range is 210-270.   240 btw puts it right about searcher time, not "depositor."   So just stop with the "WHY A TREE HERE?"   Chances are some searcher moved dirt with the tree seed in it.   Tree grew.   Wall built later by the owners who didn't want searchers trespassing on their property.   

This is why I hate this show sometimes.   They jump to conclusions that support TREASURE so fast and so hard I am amazed they don't injure themselves.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
On 3/14/2023 at 10:22 PM, merylinkid said:

Rick/Marty (no I still can't tell them apart and I really don't care)

"Rick" has one syllable, and so does "beard."  "Marty" has two syllables, as does "no beard."  That is the only way I can remember it, and I'm hoping I don't need those 5 brain cells later in life...

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)

Saw the season finale, not much going on.  The "hatch" is apparently a foundation for a building.  Rick and Mary made a dramatic descent to the bottom of the garden shaft.  Gary stuck a metal detector in a hole and got a nonferrous signal.  Rick gets sentimental at the final meeting, guess that's tradition now.

The thing that surprised me is I didn't realize that Rick and Marty are 71 and 67 years old, respectively.  They look in pretty good shape for their ages.

Edited by rmontro
  • Like 3

No spoiler.  Just the fact that no real news from real media over the summer about anything found on Oak Island so starts the next season of Oak Island filled with nothing but wood, mule shoes, water, rocks and rust.  Oh and plenty of mud.

I got to hand it too them they certainly have milked this into a nice little cash cow about nothing over the years. 

Not that the older brother doesn't actually believe he will find something some day.  I like him for following his dream.  The younger, richer and pragmatic one made it possible turning it into a big TV contract to keep this going too so made his older brother happy.  In the end the show is about the two brothers.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 4

The coins were interesting, but I doubt they have anything to do with the supposed treasure. When Marty asked Who would have all these different coins? Did anyone else say to themselves, umm a coin collector?

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Skooma said:

Not that the older brother doesn't actually believe he will find something some day.  I like him for following his dream.  The younger, richer and pragmatic one made it possible turning it into a big TV contract to keep this going too so made his older brother happy.  In the end the show is about the two brothers.

In the scene where they were driving in, they were saying this is the year we find the answer.  And I was thinking if they really do solve the mystery of the island, that's the end of the TV show.  Which would be killing their cash cow, unless of course there actually is a huge treasure buried there.

I also was thinking about how there was nothing in the news about a big discovery on Oak Island, so yeah it's probably going to be more of the same.  At what point does it become ludicrous, or jump the shark, as they say?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lovecat said:

About 5 years ago?

You're probably spot on.  I'm really curious how they're going to explain the water and wood samples saying gold is down there though.  Assuming there isn't any treasure down there, of course.  Just natural minute deposits, I suppose, even though they said there was enough silver to fill a dump truck.

• Like 2

As restrictive as Canada has gotten about allowing them to drill/dig in certain ways, my question is this:  How much of any treasure do you think the Laginas are actually going to get?

Maybe if they give Laird a big cut under the table . . .

5 hours ago, rmontro said:

In the scene where they were driving in, they were saying this is the year we find the answer.  And I was thinking if they really do solve the mystery of the island, that's the end of the TV show.  Which would be killing their cash cow, unless of course there actually is a huge treasure buried there.

I also was thinking about how there was nothing in the news about a big discovery on Oak Island, so yeah it's probably going to be more of the same.  At what point does it become ludicrous, or jump the shark, as they say?

They've been saying since season 3 this is the year.    They still haven't found answers.

But finding the edge of the wall was cool.   I'm just here for the history stuff, not treasure anymore.   Because I'm still not convinced anything is there.   

• Like 5
16 hours ago, AZChristian said:

As restrictive as Canada has gotten about allowing them to drill/dig in certain ways, my question is this:  How much of any treasure do you think the Laginas are actually going to get?

Rick seems to have switched to a "we just want to find answers" for awhile now, so maybe it doesn't matter to them how much they get.  They've probably made enough on the TV show to make it worth their while.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

I guess the water in the garden shaft is going to be the cause of the great delay as to why they can't get at the treasure this year.  It would be kind of funny if the expanding foam that they're spraying in there would inadvertently cover up or block off the treasure.  🙂

I've noted this before, but the editors really like that shot of people whipping their heads around when they hear something interesting.  Adds a little extra gravitas, I guess.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Still watching.   But honestly with my brain turned off (its less painful that way) so I miss a lot of what actually happens.  Just found this on youtube:

Save yourself some time and just watch this less than 2 minute recap.  

• LOL 3
On 1/10/2024 at 4:26 PM, rmontro said:

I guess the water in the garden shaft is going to be the cause of the great delay as to why they can't get at the treasure this year.  It would be kind of funny if the expanding foam that they're spraying in there would inadvertently cover up or block off the treasure.  🙂

I've noted this before, but the editors really like that shot of people whipping their heads around when they hear something interesting.  Adds a little extra gravitas, I guess.

That style of video production that focuses on close up shots of peoples faces whipping around as they react to certain words must come from the Nicholas Cage School of Acting.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

That style of video production that focuses on close up shots of peoples faces whipping around as they react to certain words must come from the Nicholas Cage School of Acting.

That puts lots of images in my head.  When they make the movie about Oak Island (after they find the treasure, of course), I want Nicholas Cage to play Rick.

• LOL 7