Type keyword(s) to search

The Expanse Anticipation

• Start Topic

The trailer makes this look so very promising. If I end up disappointed, I'm going to be crushed.

Trying to identify all the characters in that trailer wasn't easy, though. I got Holden, Miller and Avasarala. Who is Jonathan Banks playing? I need to see if Naomi is going to be as great in this as she is in the books.

Edited by Danny Franks

Trying to identify all the characters in that trailer wasn't easy, though. I got Holden, Miller and Avasarala. Who is Jonathan Banks playing?

An officer on the Canterbury, but I don't think they've specified beyond that. I thought he was playing Captain McDowell, but they've cast someone else in that role.

That seems like a very long way off, right now.

Sadly I can't watch that trailer, as SyFy's site is so crappy that it just will not load the video. But I am genuinely excited about this show, and really hope that they stay true to the books, and lavish it with the money it needs to be a success. And also that they don't cancel it after a year because some bigwig at the network "doesn't like space shows".

Thanks for that. Yeah, it looks like it could be really good. Appropriate tone and look to everything, the acting looks solid (hard to tell from these clips, I know), it seems like they're going to adapt the books fairly faithfully.

I loved being able to pick out more characters, in this trailer. Naomi, Holden, Julie Mao. Not so sure about the zero-g sex, but I guess that's just to draw eyes.

I really hope the show can fully capture the essence of Avarsala. I 100% believe Shoreh Can nail "foul mouthed super savvy political operator", if the writing allows her to.

I really hope the show can fully capture the essence of Avarsala. I 100% believe Shoreh Can nail "foul mouthed super savvy political operator", if the writing allows her to.

Sadly, being on Syfy probably means they'll have to tone down the swearing.

So I finally caved and bought Nemesis Games, the fifth book in the series. And it was a mistake, because it's set off my anticipation for the show like nothing else. I can't wait to see these characters and this world realised on screen.

I'm watching some videos about the show on youtube, and one thing pleased me greatly. Cas Anvar (who plays Alex) confirmed that Holden is "our lead". Good. I was a little worried that they'd let Jane's relative starpower dominate the show. It sounds like the show is going to be very faithful to the books, at least in spirit and character. There may be some changes, here and there, but that should be okay.

I have never heard of it but I just stumbled upon the trailer and it made me want to watch this.

"The Expanse Is the Show We’ve Been Wanting Since Battlestar Galactica"

I really hope that's true. I have the impression that well-done sci-fi in space is hard to come by these days.

The Miller character description seems a bit noir cliche but overall, I'm keeping an open mind.

And I'm looking forward to hearing Shohreh Aghdashloo's dulcet tones again!

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 1

I don't think it will be as unrelentingly grim as Battlestar Galactica, because even though the tone is mostly serious, there are some healthy relationships and lighter characters. Also, with the five books already released, and the writers of said books involved in producing the show, I feel like the vision and direction of the show will be much better defined than 'Ronald D. Moore makes it up as he goes along', which became infuriating for me, in the last couple of seasons of BSG.

The dirty, beaten up and lived in feel of BSG is definitely something that this show will match, if not surpass.  I'm intrigued to see how they do the space battles, and I did catch one glimpse of the gauss cannon effect in the trailer, which looked pretty great.

I think Miller is definitely a noir cliché, but it always seemed a deliberate one, to me. An image that Miller himself cultivated and enjoys wallowing in. Self-pity is one of his less admirable qualities. I'm sure that Holden, Naomi and others allude to it in the books.

I've watched the trailer about a hundred times by now, but Jonathan Banks' line at the end makes me shiver every time. "We make it all this way out, so far out into the darkness. Why couldn't we have brought more light?" That absolutely nails the atmosphere of space (if you'll pardon the oxymoron) that the books created.

• Love 1

Dammit, still can't watch that video. I guess Syfy aren't interested in non-American viewers.

But i'll be watching the first episode when it's released. Then probably rewatching it over and over again, until the show starts in December.

So as somebody who just canceled her cable last weekend ($100/ mo for a bunch of stuff I don't watch, as I watch most of my TV on Netflix) I'm wondering, are they going to continue to make episodes available on Amazon? I figured my $1200 a year was better spent buying season passes to shows I actually watch (since there probably aren't 50 of them). I don't see a season pass available for this show though which makes me think maybe I won't be able to buy them as they air.  This is one of the like 2 shows I am watching that are on cable right now.