Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Penguin's Umbrella

Trini
  • Start Topic

Or they could have made up a name.

I'm pretty sure they thought they did. I've never heard of this person; and I'd bet the vast majority of the audience hasn't either.

Probably the vast majority of the audience hasn't heard of Georgina or of Deborah - on the other hand I can guarantee that the actor who delivered the line knew who both Duchesses were (and who knows, perhaps the writer did too).

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

That goes back to the "things Donal Logue says that Bullock would never say" idea that I tried in vain to turn into a "thing".  But even though he is well-educated, I wouldn't count it as a given that he'd have any idea about the late Dowager Duchess or the current Duchess (Amanda) ("Harvard education" != "needs to know anything about the English peerage").  Georgina, probably.

Personally, I think the lady in question had taken to referring to herself by that name, regardless of where she got it from.  Much as Huckleberry Finn found the Duke and the Dauphin while rafting down the Mississippi.  The writers may simply have liked the alliteration.

• Love 2

That goes back to the "things Donal Logue says that Bullock would never say" idea that I tried in vain to turn into a "thing".  But even though he is well-educated, I wouldn't count it as a given that he'd have any idea about the late Dowager Duchess or the current Duchess (Amanda) ("Harvard education" != "needs to know anything about the English peerage").  Georgina, probably.

Admittedly, that was an odd line that had little to no significance in the episode. But I do think ratgirlagogo is correct considering Donal Logue tweeted about the Dowager's death just after the series premiere. I don't think you need to be Harvard educated to know who the Duchess is, just a good actor who researches his lines before he says them. Of course, any half-decent Keira Knightly fan probably knows the entire history of the Cavendish family.

From reading that tweet, it sounds like he was referring back to the scene that had already been walked-through, if not filmed... he may or may not have seen the news come across Yahoo or something and flashed on the reference.  But it's not something we can resolve unless someone can get him to respond to a Tweet about it. 

It is a little inconsistent, but at the same time I could see Bullock knowing joie de vivre because it could describe the lifestyles of some of the underworld characters with whom he has associated, as opposed to altruism, which seems to be a rare virtue in Gotham.

That is so damned anvilicious that it's probably true.  Sheesh.

ETA: 

Donal Logue tweeted

Damn, he is so fucking HOT in the picture on his Twitter feed. Love him with the longer hair.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

I'm really glad we got a glimpse of how Falcone keeps on top of things - just because you can have anyone killed doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so. Of course he's aware that Fish is plotting against him (I'm pretty sure he suspects - probably correctly - that ALL his lieutenants want his "job") but removing her would only put somebody else in her place. And knowing what she's plotting makes  it easier to stay on top of things - "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" as they say.

Really liked Zzazz (not sure how that's spelled) who was suitably psychotic. I did find it a little unbelievable that ALL the cops scarpered as soon as he asked "nicely" - I get that Gotham is corrupt but surely some of the cops are prepared to stand up when a hitman walks in with the clear intention of murdering one of them. And nice to see that Montoya and Allen actually proved themselves on the side of the angels by coming to Gordon's rescue - along with the Captain actually standing by him, it means there might just be hope for the Gotham PD after all. Also loved the scene with Maroni and Falcone: their meet just bristled with tension, even if they did seem to come to an agreement rather easily. 

OTOH, Barbara was an idiot. Even if you won't leave when Gordon asks, surely you could come up with a better plan than walking into the lion's den and hoping... exactly what was she hoping? At least if she'd gone to Montoya she could have gained herself a degree of protection.

DigitalCount - Loved the Mayor peacing out as soon as Falcone mentioned killing.

Yeah, nice to know he has standards!

• Love 1