Type keyword(s) to search

Can a show like Resurrection last long?

I love the show. I think most of us love the mystery behind it all. But what happens when we find out everything? It seems like we all now know what the returned are. They are people returning, punished for their sins. So in essense, this is now more of a religious opera, and there is no chance that these bodies are clones or anything that has to do with science.

And the grandma has to do with it all. There are some things we'd like to know more about to clear things up, but now I don't know how much more this show can go on. It's good because it makes you intrigued. How much more intrigued can we get?

Having said that, I'd love for this show to continue to have twists and turns. Like just when we think we know what's going on, something else unexpected and genius happens. I think it can happen, but the developers have to be smart about it.

I think this show could have lasted longer if they hasn't changed direction after the first season. They had plenty of questions to answer that could have spiraled into season 2 but now I think they're trying to do too much. I think they could answer our questions and keep the show going but I think they would have been better suited focusing on the characters and their stories.

This kind of reminds me of Pretty Little Liars, though. After the second season they kept getting renewed and instead of giving viewers answers, they kept adding questions and mysteries to prolong the show. Viewers still have more questions than answers 5 seasons in because they can't answer any questions without clearing up the mystery of the entire show. I would hate to see Resurrection become like that.

The Last thing I would want for Resurrection is to have the show evolve into something completely different than what it is now. Like they run out of substance, so they have to keep on coming out with the craziest (lamest) material each week to try to convince us that the show has more and more to offer.

• Love 1
The Last thing I would want for Resurrection is to have the show evolve into something completely different than what it is now. Like they run out of substance, so they have to keep on coming out with the craziest (lamest) material each week to try to convince us that the show has more and more to offer.

I agree with this.  Even if Resurrection could last, the real question is should it?  I like storytelling that is compact and concise.  I think within the context of this series, there is only so much they can realistically tell us while still maintaining the integrity of the original premise.   I think most serialized shows need to have a definitive end point and an expiration date.  Too many shows that start out with an original and interesting idea run out of steam and go off the rails as the writing becomes off the cuff just so the produces can milk their cash cow. 

• Love 3

What bothers me about the show is that I don't think they thought through a several year story arc.  I don't like "Hannibal" (because I hate, hate, hate the idea of making a serial murderer into an admired artist of death) but I will give the handsome series credit in that the creator of it has an overall plan for what he is doing with the characters.  "Resurrection" seems muddled by comparison....maybe there will be an underlying structure revealed at some point, but right now there's so many characters meandering around and not much purpose to some of them.  Of course I've probably missed something (clearly I forget from week to week who did what to whom and who died and who came back).  I really get the feeling some things are being made up in order to extend the series, but I don't think they will get a chance to resolve some of the questions that have arisen. And maybe there are no answers. When it comes to life and death, the mystery of it all is the ultimate unanswerable question, and I'd be fine if they left the big questions to the viewers to answer for themselves. 

Unfortunately now the writers seem to be trying to come up with explanations (mostly through the grandmother, who is a voice without credibility) and I think that's a mistake.  She has some weird agenda and I'm not sure I will be happy if she is the center of everything that is happening.  Of course there may be more revealed about her and the family that will explain why they are considered so important.  I'm just not getting it yet. 

If a third season is in doubt, I hope at least they work out an ending for the second season which is not just a leap off the cliff.

I think the show could last a long time if the focused on people instead of mysteries.  You could move on from the Langston's and show a new family that has a returned person and how that has impacted them.  But it would probably be less interesting without open questions about what is happening.

• Love 1
I think the show could last a long time if the focused on people instead of mysteries.  You could move on from the Langston's and show a new family that has a returned person and how that has impacted them

Now see, that is a damn good idea.  That is a show I would happily watch.  A limited run spinoff on Carl and Mikey might be fun too!.   Seriously though, you're right, but it's one of those things to handle with care.  I'd rather the show go out with dignity than turn into an over-baked story.  Too bad ratings are so bleak.  This is one of the few shows I'm still enjoying! 

Edited by Fable
I'd rather the show go out with dignity than turn into an over-baked story.  Too bad ratings are so bleak.  This is one of the few shows I'm still enjoying!

I always prefer shows to go out with dignity.  I tend to watch them until the end no matter what, and there are some shows I hate by that point.

I'm still really enjoying this though, I find it really gripping.  The addition of the grandma is a new direction from season 1, but she's a super compelling character to watch.

I always prefer shows to go out with dignity.  I tend to watch them until the end no matter what, and there are some shows I hate by that point.

I'm still really enjoying this though, I find it really gripping.  The addition of the grandma is a new direction from season 1, but she's a super compelling character to watch.

I agree on all counts. Ally McBeal comes to mind, although a completely different type of show, I stayed to the very bitter end of a once brilliant show. 

However, if they can't keep me through one season, and I am looking at you Under The Dome, then I just give up                                                                                                                                                                                 . This one I do still enjoy for the most part. I am frustrated that they don't seem to be sure where they are going, but I am still engaged.  However I fervently wish they had made Rachel disapear and have her take Tom and the look alike with her, and kept Barbara as she was just starting to get mildly interesting. I think the whole concept of hanging with Mom, when mom is younger than you are, was kind of interesting. Hasn't everyone kind of wondered what their parents were like before we came along? 

Edited by chlban
  • Love 1

I dropped this show after season 1 and never came back despite still retaining some interest for the premise simply because I really can’t stand the lead actor.

This is the first time I’ve seen him as I didn’t watch House so maybe he is good in a comedic role or as a comedic foil or something, but as far as Resurrection is concerned he is simply terrible IMHO. His constant all weather, all situation, all occasion “duh” kind of expression lacking any sense of depth or force of emotion had me grinding my teeth just to (barely) make it to see what would happen at the end of the season.

Ejiofor would have been perfect for this role but he’s probably too big for it now after 12 Years a Slave, but I could come up with any number of names who’d be a huge upgrade and kept me still watching; Terrence Howard, Lennie James, Roger Cross, Seth Gilliam etc., even Harold Perrineau would at least bring some intensity into the role. Oh well.

I liked the first season of Resurrection. I watched it on the heels of watching the French version so I kind of know who is supposed to be who.

There are fairly good reasons why it's not "working" this season as it did last year. One is the break neck competition, and two is that the French version doesn't have a second season (as of yet). I don't know that it's really necessary because it got wrapped up pretty neatly and explanatory. I'm pretty sure these aren't growing pains but rather that the writers don't have anything to base the story on anymore.

I'd stay for the music, if Barbara came back and if they just said that the dead are just

flesh eating zombies coming back to issue a big warning about an impending flood.

Edited by Elsinore

FYI @Elsinore -- while the 'Resurrection' tv show is based up on a novel called 'The Returned' by Jason Mott that was first published in 2013, the French TV series 'Les Revenants' (or the 'The Returned' in English)  was produced and aired in 2012 and based on a 2004 French film, per Wikipedia. So they definitely don't share the same source material.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Returned  

By the way, I really preferred the 'Les Revenants' over Resurrection -- that kid actor that plays Victor is creepier than anyone on Resurrection (including Bitchy Grandma).

It seems like we all now know what the returned are. They are people returning, punished for their sins.

That's what the grandma said, but I don't believe it. It doesn't fit with why Mikey disappeared, or Arthur Healy, or Caleb. It only worked for Barbara, which I consider more of a retcon than anything.