Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Shall We Play a Game?

Stinger97
  • Start Topic

Adam accidentally gets Barry kicked out of the cool-kids club at school, and he tries to remedy the situation by offering to hack into the school's computer system and change the popular kids' grades. Elsewhere, Beverly tries to be a cool mom after learning that Erica prefers to spend time with a friend's mother.

This show owns my heart.

And Wendy McLedon-Covey needs to win awards for her portrayal of Beverly. She is brilliant.

There's been like... one sitcom per year in the past few years that proves to me that sitcoms still have value as a form of programming.  A few years ago it was The Neighbors (even though that's gone now).  Then this show (although Brooklyn 99 was a close second).  And this year, Selfie (a brilliantly funny show despite the cringeworthy name).  

I hate stupid sitcoms with a passion.  I love the ones that nail it, with the kind of wit and warmth this show has.

• Love 2

Germantown High School was about 97% Afro-American (its most famous graduate was Bill Cosby)  Two white boys walking down the halls would cetrainly have drawn  a lot of attention and questions as who they were and what they were doing there.      Also Germantown were the Bears.   Another nitpick

the prices in the window of the grocery seemed high for the 80s.

Barry: Can you start a global thermonuclear war on this thing?
Adam: Probably.
Barry (quickly): Don't do it! There is no winner.

I really liked this exchange for some reason, probably because of how quick Barry was to say not to do it.

I was hoping at the end to see the real Bev decked out in super embarrassing clothes, but the real JTP was probably better.

I don't know that Murray would have known pleated pants were worse than other pants. Oh well.

There's been like... one sitcom per year in the past few years that proves to me that sitcoms still have value as a form of programming.  A few years ago it was The Neighbors (even though that's gone now).  Then this show (although Brooklyn 99 was a close second).  And this year, Selfie (a brilliantly funny show despite the cringeworthy name).  

I hate stupid sitcoms with a passion.  I love the ones that nail it, with the kind of wit and warmth this show has.

Marry Me looks like it has all kinds of potential as well.  This show is better than Modern Family and The Middle already in its second season.

• Love 1

My favorite part of the episode was when Beverly is talking to the girls and she goes "Let's talk about boys. I like Murray. Now you go, Lainey." Wendi McLedon-Covey's delivery totally made that moment.

I wonder if they'll ever run out of video from the real Adam Goldberg's archives to run at the end. I read an article where his friend, Chap Kremp, said that he sent Adam 40 video tapes they had filmed together, so maybe they never will run out.

I wonder if they'll ever run out of video from the real Adam Goldberg's archives to run at the end. I read an article where his friend, Chap Kremp, said that he sent Adam 40 video tapes they had filmed together, so maybe they never will run out.

They have an inherent problem with much of the footage though.  Anything that includes Eric Goldberg can't be used.  I mean even if he's changed his mind about being represented on TV... he's not a girl. You can't represent Erica's plots via the old tapes, and you can't show Eric and then have him be unexplained in light of the episode we would have just seen.  

Edited by Kromm

Hanging out at Wawa! Truly an authentic 80s experience in the Philadelphia area. I giggled out loud so many times tonight. I was also glad to see Barry with friends, I was worried he didn't have any!

I know Bev is OTT, but I identify with her so much these days. I just love my boys and she reminds me not to be so crazy...

Edited by Lawgiver
  • Love 2

I wonder if they'll ever run out of video from the real Adam Goldberg's archives to run at the end.

I wouldn't mind that. Based on the clips he seems like one of those kids who did things just to annoy you and then thought it was the funniest thing ever. I wouldn't call him "the little bastard" but I understand how his father could get to that point.