Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Nugget of Wisdom

Lisin

I don't know why ABC gives their funny comedies such bad names (Trophy Wife, The B in apartment 23..)

It's weird how network execs have no clue that the name of a show affects its success. They tweak every other aspect of it to hell and back based on demographics and market research and focus groups, and then doom it with a stupid title.

It's like a defining P.R. concept--if you have to EXPLAIN something, you've already lost a lot of people.

That reminds me of Bunheads.  Yep, if your show's overly-precious title needs a long explanation, you might as well not bother.

It's weird how network execs have no clue that the name of a show affects its success. They tweak every other aspect of it to hell and back based on demographics and market research and focus groups, and then doom it with a stupid title.

That reminds me of Bunheads.  Yep, if your show's overly-precious title needs a long explanation, you might as well not bother.

Bunheads wasn't so bad (titlewise--it was much better than not so bad as a show).  Firstly, it's a term that even if not everybody knows, it's likely to make them curious.  At worst they may think its a show about bakers.   Secondly, either through typical implication or what it actually means, there aren't really negative connotations.  As compared to both "Trophy Wife" and "Selfie", which have horrible negative connotations (or even "Cougar Town"). 

Loved this ep. I've always liked John Cho as an actor, but on this show, I'm finding him quite hot. (I've always had a thing for nerds who can dance).

The references are hilarious--they show how diverse (in terms of experiences, cultural knowledge) and talented the writers are. "Ease On Down the Road," the song lyrics discussion, Mary J. Blige, Jodeci, Renee Zellwegger. And when Charmonique was trying to get Elize to babysit and went into that Maya Angelou-type monolgue? Hilarious. BTW, Charmonique went to Yale? So why is she a receptionist?

• Love 1

Bunheads wasn't so bad (titlewise--it was much better than not so bad as a show).  Firstly, it's a term that even if not everybody knows, it's likely to make them curious.  At worst they may think its a show about bakers.   Secondly, either through typical implication or what it actually means, there aren't really negative connotations.  As compared to both "Trophy Wife" and "Selfie", which have horrible negative connotations (or even "Cougar Town").

The thing is though, the lack of a negative association is not the same thing as a positive association. TV is too competitive, it isn't enough to merely not repel people. You have to put asses in seats and keep them there. 

The thing is though, the lack of a negative association is not the same thing as a positive association. TV is too competitive, it isn't enough to merely not repel people. You have to put asses in seats and keep them there. 

By that argument "The Goldbergs" would be an equally horrible title.  I mean is the name of some random Jewish family a positive association for the 97% of America that isn't Jewish? Probably not--it's neutral at best.

And actually I don't think "Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23" was a bad title.  It's attention getting.  "Trophy Wife", "Selfie", and "Cougar Town" seem to imply bad things about their protagonists, because we assume they are references to the protagonists.  Whereas "Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23" doesn't seem to be about the protagonist, so I think it might just make someone curious (if so the actual show didn't hold those people though).

Is The Goldbergs a hit?  I didn't even know it was renewed.

Anyway I'm not saying only shows with great titles succeed or vice-versa, I'm just wondering why they tweak every other last thing about a show and then saddle it with a lousy title. 

• Love 1

I was talking to a group of friends about this show over the weekend who had not watched it but knew it as the "My Fair Lady Show" which I thought was interesting. Despite the off-putting title I queued it up on the DVR because it had decent reviews leading up to the season and I had some residual goodwill for Emily Kapnek and Suburgatory. I did not make a connection to My Fair Lady. 

Emily Kapnek defended the title in this article, which is a good read about the show: 'Selfie' Creator Defends 'Provocative' Title: It's a 'Very Rich Area' to Explore

Does anyone know how old Henry is supposed to be on the show? I was surprised to read that John Cho is 42 years old as he looks so youthful. I wasn't sure if there was supposed to be an age difference between the characters (like I believe there was in My Fair Lady) since Eliza is a twenty-something. 

Henry is 39 years old and will be turning 40 years old in a few more episodes, according to a recent ABC 'SELFIE' press release.

• Love 1
On 22/10/2014 at 11:43 AM, Sims Addict said:

When Charmonique left for her reunion and her son deadpanned, "Get it," I fell out.

Also, when he opened the door and saw Eliza, he said "No thank you." - I laughed so hard!

On 22/10/2014 at 6:38 PM, Kromm said:

And Charmonique's kid?  They can feed him all the fake too-adult sounding lines they want. It's unexpectedly hilarious!

That little-kid-with-an-old-soul vibe reminds me a little of Manny from Modern Family.  These little kids who say adult things and make it sound normal and have adult conversations with adults.