Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Monarch Douglas Bank

• Start Topic

We did get Ressler with his shirt off, as he was standing by his bathroom sink pondering his bottle of oxy.  However, we didn't get enough.  As far as I'm concerned, he could just go about his merry way at work, at home, driving, etc. with his shirt off. 

• Love 1

We did get Ressler with his shirt off, as he was standing by his bathroom sink pondering his bottle of oxy.  However, we didn't get enough.  As far as I'm concerned, he could just go about his merry way at work, at home, driving, etc. with his shirt off. 

Yes!  I would go to work just to give him hugs all day.

Oh and by the way, I wish they would stop trying to make "unsub" happen, shit sounds ridiculous

Oh and by the way, I wish they would stop trying to make "unsub" happen, shit sounds ridiculous

Well, you young whippersnappers sure use some funny terminiology.  I have no clue what "Unsub"  shit that may possibly happen refers to.  I don't even know what "unsub" means (unsubstantiated rumours?)  Please do share?  :)

Uh oh, cuz I'm pretty sure he did it in Sex, Lies and Videotape in 1989 when he first gets behind the camera;  but didn't go back and look for it on Youtube. 

I wouldn't let it drive me crazy because as an actor, it's supposed to mean he's gathering his thoughts, going to say something deep and meaningful, pondering first. 

But I'd bet it's also something he does as a person because I don't remember ever seeing him not do it - so if it's organic to him, it's allright huh? 

Hope that works for you!  :)

Oh man. I am really in trouble huh? Like head cocked to the side to ponder if I can stand it trouble. lol.

Well, you young whippersnappers sure use some funny terminiology.  I have no clue what "Unsub"  shit that may possibly happen refers to.  I don't even know what "unsub" means (unsubstantiated rumours?)  Please do share?  :)

Thank you for "whippersnappers". Thank you so much. That word needs to be worked into at least 1 convo daily.

And I see your question about unsub has already been answered, but I noticed it being used on tv for over a decade now. It seemed to become the go to word for FBI agents on tv after Criminal Minds on CBS started.

Edited by 2KllMckngBrd
  • Love 1

Thank you for "whippersnappers". Thank you so much. That word needs to be worked into at least 1 convo daily.

And I see your question about unsub has already been answered, but I noticed it being used on tv for over a decade now. It seemed to become the go to word for FBI agents on tv after Criminal Minds on CBS started.

Whippersnappers? It's hardly a new term, and has been used by law enforcement agents for decades. My earliest recollection of the term is from The Silence of the Lambs (1991), but I'm sure it's been used prior to that.

Whippersnapper is late seventeenth century, well described at Yahoo Answers.  I have a vague memory of this being used in old westerns, usually spoken by Walter Brennan.

Are television writers expanding their vocabularies?  The Selfie pilot used coxcomb, and had a later line of dialogue stating that the usage had been correct.

Edited by kassygreene

There seems to be some confusion as to what I was saying in my post. And that could absolutely be me. All me.

I was responding to NorCalNut's post...that made me laugh out loud. I thought that post was using "whippersnapper" in a funny way to describe "younger, (so-called) hipper" folks who were using a term, unsub, that they were unfamiliar w/, but were hearing on this show. When I was young my great grandmother would use "whippersnapper", to talk about young folks, and all their "new fangled gadgets". Makes me laugh just remembering it/her. So I was applauding the descriptive "whippersnapper", and then offering my two cents on when I first heard the word unsub used regularly.

Again, if I confused anyone by what I originally said/was commenting on/answering question about, I apologize.

Now get off my damn lawn, before I turn the hose on you all!

What? Confusing again? Too soon?

Edited by 2KllMckngBrd
  • Love 4

I was responding to NorCalNut's post...that made me laugh out loud. I thought that post was using "whippersnapper" in a funny way to describe "younger, (so-called) hipper" folks who were using a term, unsub, that they were unfamiliar w/, but were hearing on this show. When I was young my great grandmother would use "whippersnapper", to talk about young folks, and all their "new fangled gadgets". Makes me laugh just remembering it/her. So I was applauding the descriptive "whippersnapper", and then offering my two cents on when I first heard the word unsub used regularly.

Yep, you pretty much nailed it.  That's what I was trying for.  Young hipsters, using words that I know nothing about.  And, the funny thing is I still don't get the connection to what "Unub" RealityGal was referring to in regard to the show?  Here is her quote that I still am confused by: 

What unsub is she referring to that the show is trying to make happen?   

All of this reminds me of the song "Communication Breakdown" by Led Zeppelin.  Again, most of the young whippersnappers here probably don't even know who they are, but the song is pretty much what we've got going on here thanks to me and my not being able to comprehend what unsub shit the show is trying to pull?   Also, what prompted all of this fun discussion in the first place is my love for all things Ressler and Keenler.  This oldster is off to bed now.  Nighty Night Whippersnappers!

• Love 2

I think the answer is Unsub is NOT a new word.

It is to me, I was binge watching Criminal Minds and that was the first and only place I had ever heard the term.  And I've watched all the Law and Orders, CSI (well, only Vegas, I can't with David Caruso), and countless other law based shows.  And until criminal minds I had never heard the term.  And it sounded super clunky.  I was used to "suspect" or "the guy"

I had no idea there was a show about it earlier, so I had thought "unsub" was a new trend started by criminal minds and that writers were trying to make happen with the blacklist.  I think it sounds strange and clunky, and many times in criminal minds they would have to incorporate an explanation of what "unsub" meant into the program.

Now I have heard of whippersnapper and Led Zepplin, so I'm not sure how I feel about myself right now :)

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 2
This is not really a "...Spader read the phone book..." or a "...Red..." thread(s) sitch, but here goes: I am going to need for the amount of lines said by Spader w/his head cocked to the side to decrease. Immediately. This is 1 of my shows. But that's going to be a deal breaker. I'm starting to have CSI:Miami Caruso flashbacks, and I don't like it. That level of stupid was necessary on that show, but I will not tolerate it on this 1. Watched Miami for the snark. I watch The Blacklist for Spader and the fun. And that's not fun. Just a lazy, and distracting acting choice.

Right.  I love Spader as much as the next nut, but his snarky acting is not holding my attention too well.  He does a lot when he has something to do - his stares into the distance after threatening Berlin and then thinking about his wife in pieces, his look when Dembe brought her past him - at those times, I know, I remember, that he's terrific.  But the rest of his character doesn't make remotely any sense to me. 

Is he a sociopath?  Not to my (admittedly learned on tv) eye.  To me, he has a sense of morals (he plays by some kind of Darwinian code), he feels guilt or at least a bit of pity or sadness when he's shooting relative innocents in the head.  We're supposed to think that he went into hiding for some hidden noble cause, right?  So, he's not simply deluded or psychotic.  Is he a psychopath?  He loves.  Ok, I think he's insane for being attached to Lizzie, but that just makes him a weird guy with bad taste: a pretty human failing.

Is he some ruthless, nasty capitalist?  He doesn't seem to care enough about his empire (only himself), plus nasty capitalists have servile minions (not exactly Dembe and that woman who cleans all the bodies) and they usually stay in place long enough to have lavish furnishings and an unhappy wife who can be turned against him.  Also, if they wear a three piece suit, they usually don't add hats.  Also, they're much more sexist and stupid than Red.  (Argh, ok, I'll stop ranting against capitalist stereotypes on tv now.)  Is he an egomaniac who wants to take over the world?  Clearly not, as he deals with petty dictators who cannot help him in any way but personal ones and does not seem interested in power over anyone else except as it affects his own personal interests. 

Does he say funny things for adoration or to convince himself that he's the smartest man in the room?  No, he is actually trying to communicate; it matters to him how the other cardboard person in the room is going to react.  Is he just very naughty, some kind of playboy imp who doesn't seem to have sex very often?  No, because then I would be enjoying him much more. 

Red is both too engaged to make sense as someone who doesn't give a damn and too bored to explain why he is doing anything at all.  At this point, I am losing interest in guessing what his motive actually is.

Maybe he's a vampire who is wondering if this generation is going to do any better than the last.  A seen it all before, not willing to give up his idealism, long con man of a vampire.  That almost works for me.

I like the new Mossad woman.  Hope springs eternal.

I like that Lizzie is threatened by the new Mossad woman. I hate that she's decided that she's threatened because she's territorial about Red rather than because Mossad woman is actually good at her job.