Type keyword(s) to search

Alex Preston: The Universe Already Has A Jason Mraz!

• Start Topic

I am indifferent towards Alex. Not a "fan" but don't hate him either. He does have the tendency to make unpleasant faces and do weird things like marching in place while singing though. He's good if you close your eyes when you listen to him, which is a great thing for a recording artist, but not a performer. His cover of Story of My Life was one of those most memorable performances of the season though. 

I'm pretty meh about him, too, but after watching those 2 guys on The Voice last night, I have to admit Alex's performance was good. One of the many problems with The Voice is those 'battle' things, where (IMO) you can't get any sense of the singers when all they're doing is shouting a single line at a time.

I think Alex and Caleb will probably be the last 2 standing (but I'm always wrong).

I would love a Caleb/Alex finale. And even though I like Caleb much more and am rooting for him to win, I wouldn't be mad if Alex won either. He is a really good artist, plays lots of instruments (wish he would drop the guitar for once and play another instrument that he supposedly plays), and really knows how to make songs his own and give them different twists (even if the judges don't always like the end result). He also seems like a pretty good songwriter, so I definitely think he could have a very successful career, as sort of like a more indie version of Phillip Phillips or something.

Alex does make unattractive faces and not digging that weird marching thing either, but I think his technical skills are probably tops in this group. His style is a bit too affected and whiny sounding for me at times, but he's got chops. I'd probably put him at #4 in my personal top ten.

Alex is, for my money, the best musician of the lot, and he has the best grasp of song structure and how to find the story in a song. What he doesn't have yet is stage presence, but he's pushing himself on that front. I don't think he'll ever be a big-name pop star, and I don't think he'd want to be--but I can see him very well have a long and respected indie career, though. 

• Love 1

I seem to agree with many of you.  Alex is a good singer songwriter, but he needs to work on his delivery.  He seems unhappy at times, and needs to make a better connection with the audience.  I do see him in the TOP 4.

Ok Alex can be a bit of a snore, but I like his voice and his musical ability seems unusually good for this show. But dear-god-almighty-damn who is dressing this poor schmuck? I keep thinking Howdy Doody/slash/ Huck Finn. Please make it stop, Show.

• Love 2

He has a face made for radio but he does have an interesting voice.  Someone over at TWoP said he looks like he's about to vomit, and that's true, and that's why I just can't look at him for any length of time. 

Alex's fashion is usually pretty awful but then again, isn't it always for most of the contestants in general? Sometimes they are hit or miss. Jessica's red dress was awful, but her outfit for the duet was much better. Sam's outfit was more normal this week without the stupid hat! Jena has had her fair share of fashion mishaps on the show too (that too-small top she wore for Clarity, ugh) Sometimes the styling is on point, other weeks it's not.

• Love 2
(edited)

That top Jena wore for Clarity was approaching Lena Dunham on Girls levels of dressing inappropriately for your body type. Most people should not wear belly shirts and Jena is one of em.

Edited by Joystickenvy
  • Love 1

Ok Alex can be a bit of a snore, but I like his voice and his musical ability seems unusually good for this show. But dear-god-almighty-damn who is dressing this poor schmuck? I keep thinking Howdy Doody/slash/ Huck Finn. Please make it stop, Show.

I sure hope Alex's look is courtesy of the AI stylists and not something he came up with. He's certainly not the worst contestant on this show and I won't mind if he wins (and won't mind if he loses) but the unique "style" and herky-jerky leg kicking and uptight expression is coming off to me as an affectation of someone who's trying too hard to convince us he's an authentic artiste. I wasn't bowled over by Fairytales (but it didn't stink). JMO, obviously.

I don't know (although I never think of it as creepy because I was 15 when it came out so I just thought it was a great song). I was expecting to hate it after the rehearsal footage because he was changing it so much (and again, I was 15 when it was a hit for The Police and you don't mess with hits from when you were 15), but I really liked it. I could really feel that the song was about heartbreak.